- Group keeps policy on transgender high school athletes Updated: Aug-27-15 8:23 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - South Dakota's high school activities association on Thursday largely maintained its policy allowing transgender student athletes to request to play on the team of their choice, increasing the likelihood Republicans in the statehouse will push legislation to change it.
- Abandoned Chicago railway reborn as commuter corridor Updated: Aug-23-15 1:54 pm
CHICAGO - On an abandoned Chicago railway line cutting between the treetops, bike commuters zip by walkers and joggers, all traversing a ribbon of concrete undulating through a lush landscape where clattering freight cars once ferried everything from coal to furniture.
- Diesel for harvest might be adequate with drilling slowdown Updated: Aug-18-15 5:41 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - The slowdown in North Dakota's oil patch should help keep fuel supplies adequate for the state's fall crop harvest due to the dramatic drop in the number diesel-thirsty drill rigs, officials say.
- Nurses, St. Charles Bend bring mediator into contract talks Updated: Aug-18-15 12:28 pm
BEND, Oregon - A mediator is joining the stalled contract negotiations that have been going on for months between St. Charles Bend and a nurses' union.
- Mississippi death row inmate files appeal with US high court Updated: Aug-15-15 11:07 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The American Bar Association is joining a Mississippi death row inmate's quest for a new trial, asking the U.S. Supreme Court to consider the failure of Thomas Loden Jr.'s lawyer to search the record for evidence that could have persuaded a judge to spare Loden's life.
- Rescuers pull 2 bodies from lagoon in Nigeria chopper crash Updated: Aug-13-15 4:34 pm
LAGOS, Nigeria - Rescuers pulled bodies of two crew members from the water Thursday, with an Oklahoma man among six killed when a helicopter flying from an offshore oil rig plunged into a lagoon in Nigeria's commercial capital, Lagos.
- New York taxi driver-owners form new association, decry Uber Updated: Aug-12-15 8:43 pm
NEW YORK - Dozens of angry, independent taxi medallion owners have been making their opinions about Uber heard at City Hall.
- Eastern Michigan to remove 'Hurons' logo from band uniforms Updated: Aug-11-15 2:57 pm
YPSILANTI, Michigan - Eastern Michigan University announced Tuesday that it will drop logos depicting the profile of an American Indian and the word "Hurons" from marching band uniforms.
- Maker Faire attracts inventive minds, hands Updated: Aug-11-15 4:07 am
FORT WAYNE, Indiana - If you've got an idea, a really good technological idea, but you need help getting it crafted, TekVenture at Broadway and Swinney Avenue is the place you want to be.
- Catholic groups lose another contraceptive court ruling Updated: Aug-07-15 2:31 pm
NEW YORK - Another federal appeals court Friday ruled against Catholic church-affiliated groups that oppose being required to provide contraceptive care to employees through a third party.
- Survey: Journalism school training transcends professions Updated: Aug-06-15 7:14 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Who and what is a journalist in the age of social media, sponsored content and sagging newspaper circulation?
- National group approves merger of Rutgers' 2 law schools Updated: Aug-03-15 4:05 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - The American Bar Association has approved Rutgers University's plan to merge its two law schools into one entity with two campuses.
- Criminal defense lawyers critical of sentencing task force Updated: Jul-30-15 4:06 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Tennessee Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers says a task force that will recommend sentencing changes has not reached out to that group for input.