- Student group pushes for rape crisis center at Purdue Updated: May-03-15 4:08 am
WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana - A group of Purdue University students is urging school officials to establish a rape crisis center on campus so that victims can get help sooner, especially after hours.
- Year after year, Scotch broom fight must go on and on Updated: Apr-30-15 4:10 pm
CANNON BEACH, Oregon - It takes trained eyes and hours of tedious physical labor to prevent Scotch broom - the invasive European shrub that sprouts golden yellow flowers and produces thousands of seeds - from overrunning the sand dunes west of Chapman Point.
- Nurses at 6 hospitals across California strike over staffing Updated: Apr-30-15 1:34 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Registered nurses at six California hospitals went on strike Thursday over staffing levels and other issues during contract negotiations, a move the medical centers called "inappropriate" but said would not interrupt services.
- Kansas fraternity expels 4 members for mocking Muslims Updated: Apr-29-15 7:23 pm
A fraternity at the University of Kansas has kicked out four members who admitted involvement in a video posted on social media that mocks Muslims.
- Nepalese students at U of Illinois start relief effort Updated: Apr-29-15 4:05 am
URBANA, Illinois - A group of University of Illinois students and others from Nepal are hoping to raise $10,000 or more for earthquake relief over the next few days.
- Heisman winner Archie Griffin steps down as alumni head Updated: Apr-29-15 3:15 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio State University says Archie Griffin, the only two-time winner of the Heisman Trophy, is stepping down as head of the university's alumni relations office.
- SC State announces $100K donation; board continues to shrink Updated: Apr-28-15 3:58 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina State University officials on Tuesday announced a $100,000 donation from the college's National Alumni Association and urged alumni across the nation to help secure the future of the financially troubled college.
- Univ. of Florida closes frat over abuse of wounded vets Updated: Apr-28-15 3:10 pm
GAINESVILLE, Florida - The University of Florida is closing a fraternity after allegations that its members hurled drunken insults and spat at a group of disabled military veterans at a Panama City Beach resort.
- Police trying to ID men who vandalized shuttered frat house Updated: Apr-28-15 8:55 am
STATE COLLEGE, Pennsylvania - Police have been trying to identify men who caused more than $5,000 damage to a Penn State fraternity house that's been closed since its national leaders say the chapter wasn't following standards of conduct earlier this month.
- Syracuse U. frat hazing investigation leads to discipline Updated: Apr-27-15 6:03 pm
SYRACUSE, New York - A Syracuse University fraternity has been told to stop all public activities and a fraternity member faces possible assault charges after an investigation of potential hazing.
- Community group wants North Shore middle, high school Updated: Apr-27-15 2:32 pm
KILAUEA, Hawaii - A North Shore community group is seeking to bring a middle and high school to the area's growing population.
- SDSU housing could infringe on South Dakota State Arboretum Updated: Apr-27-15 12:38 pm
BROOKINGS, South Dakota - The expansion of fraternities and sororities at South Dakota State University could threaten a pristine swath of trees.
- Local group hopes to raise awareness about organ donation Updated: Apr-26-15 11:26 am
BRUNSWICK, Georgia - Just eight years ago, Jim Knight was in need of a pancreas and kidney transplant. But through the selfless act of charity, Knight received the two organs necessary to return to living a healthy, productive and normal life.
- Students plan march on state capitol over budget cuts Updated: Apr-25-15 2:59 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana State University students are planning a march on the state capitol to protest the state's proposed $600 million cut to higher education.
- Seth Rogen visits UVM to celebrate fundraising for charity Updated: Apr-25-15 2:55 pm
BURLINGTON, Vermont - Three University of Vermont fraternity brothers, who are triplets, and their friends have raised more than $30,000 for Alzheimer's research, prompting a second visit from actor and filmmaker Seth Rogen.
- UF fraternity suspended after allegedly harassing veterans Updated: Apr-25-15 2:19 pm
GAINESVILLE, Florida - A University of Florida fraternity has been suspended after reports that some of its members harassed wounded military veterans vacationing recently in Panama City Beach.
- Student accused of theft from UNL fraternity Updated: Apr-25-15 1:49 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - A 20-year-old University of Nebraska-Lincoln student is accused of taking nearly $9,000 from the fraternity for which he served as treasurer.
- Johnson & Wales fraternity pledge sues over alleged hazing Updated: Apr-24-15 7:44 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Johnson & Wales University student is suing a fraternity chapter at the Rhode Island school and several of its members on allegations he was subjected to brutal hazing last fall that included being beaten with wooden paddles and having his skin burned by cigarettes.
- Univ. of Florida suspends frat over abuse of wounded vets Updated: Apr-24-15 6:04 pm
GAINESVILLE, Florida - The University of Florida suspended one of its fraternities on Friday after allegations that its members hurled drunken insults and spat at a group of disabled military veterans at a Panama City Beach resort.
- Lawyer: Frat members won't get jail time for student's death Updated: Apr-24-15 5:19 pm
SYCAMORE, Illinois - An attorney for the family of a Northern Illinois University student who died after a party says five fraternity members charged in his death won't face jail time per plea agreements.
- Ohio university removes posters for 'straight pride' week Updated: Apr-24-15 12:04 pm
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - Posters promoting a "straight pride" week at a northeast Ohio university were removed this week after student leaders determined that the message went beyond free speech.
- Western Carolina suspends fraternity amid hazing allegations Updated: Apr-24-15 7:07 am
CULLOWHEE, North Carolina - Western Carolina University officials have suspended a fraternity for five years after a pledge said he was "water-boarded."
- Woman seeks dismissal of suit against daughter of Bama coach Updated: Apr-23-15 4:08 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A woman asked a judge Thursday to dismiss her lawsuit against the daughter of University of Alabama football coach Nick Saban, bringing an apparent end to a legal fight between sorority sisters that began after a night of partying in Tuscaloosa.
- UVa dean bashes Rolling Stone article in open letter Updated: Apr-22-15 6:43 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - An associate dean of students at the University of Virginia said Wednesday a widely discredited Rolling Stone article caused her professional and personal harm by portraying her as insensitive and unresponsive to an alleged victim of a gang rape.
- Police arrest RIU frat member on marijuana charges Updated: Apr-21-15 4:44 pm
SOUTH KINGSTOWN, Rhode Island - A University of Rhode Island fraternity member has been arrested after police say they found marijuana at his fraternity house.