- Moroccan journalist ends hunger strike on passport promise Updated: Jul-28-15 12:25 pm
RABAT, Morocco - A dissident Moroccan journalist on Tuesday ended a monthlong hunger strike protesting his treatment by the government after an official said he could get a new passport in three days, a member of his support committee said.
- Mexico national team coach allegedly hits TV journalist Updated: Jul-27-15 10:09 pm
MEXICO CITY - The coach of Mexico's national soccer team is known for his histrionic displays of emotion during games.
- Kyrgyz president fumes over award to jailed journalist Updated: Jul-27-15 7:32 am
BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan - The president of Kyrgyzstan on Monday lambasted the United States for honoring a jailed Kyrgyz journalist.
- Azeri journalist trial to start in August Updated: Jul-25-15 6:52 am
BAKU, Azerbaijan - A court in Azerbaijan says the trial of an investigative journalist will begin next month in a case widely criticized by human rights organizations.
- Turkish journalist settles lawsuit over protest arrest Updated: Jul-24-15 7:29 pm
FERGUSON, Missouri - A Turkish journalist has reached a settlement in a lawsuit against the St. Louis County Police Department over his arrest at the Ferguson police shooting protests.
- Turkish journalist fired over anti-Erdogan tweet Updated: Jul-23-15 6:55 am
ANKARA, Turkey - A prominent Turkish journalist has been fired by his newspaper over a tweet which suggested that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was responsible for a suicide bombing this week that killed 32 people.
- Worries grow about freelance Japanese journalist in Syria Updated: Jul-22-15 2:07 am
TOKYO - Worries are growing about the whereabouts of a freelance Japanese journalist, last heard from one month ago in war-torn Syria, where reporting assignments have become among the most precarious in the world.
- Trial opens for journalists charged with defaming Thai navy Updated: Jul-13-15 11:50 pm
PHUKET, Thailand - Testimony started Tuesday in a criminal defamation lawsuit the Thai navy has filed against a small news website over a report it posted alleging naval forces accepted money to abet or turn a blind eye to the seaborne trafficking of refugees from Myanmar.
- Longtime central Illinois journalist Bob Fallstrom, 88, dies Updated: Jul-10-15 5:20 pm
DECATUR, Illinois - Veteran newspaper editor Bob Fallstrom, who in his 66 years with the Herald and Review in Decatur served as a reporter, sports writer and editor, has died at age 88.
- Group, journalist sue for release of IDs of pot producers Updated: Jul-10-15 12:44 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The New Mexico Foundation for Open Government and a freelance journalist have sued the state Department of Health, saying the agency is violating the state's public records law by keeping secret the names of licensed medical marijuana producers.
- Lawyer kidnapped hours after release of Chinese journalist Updated: Jul-10-15 9:29 am
BEIJING - A Chinese lawyer was forcibly taken away Friday just hours after his client, a Chinese journalist working for a German weekly, was released from nine months in detention, his associate said.
- Journalism group to Egypt's president: Don't OK draft laws Updated: Jul-09-15 1:59 pm
NEW YORK - The Committee to Protect Journalists has written an open letter to Egypt's president urging him not to sign two draft laws that the group says threatens already tightly restricted press freedoms.
- Ethiopia releases jailed journalists, bloggers Updated: Jul-09-15 8:07 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - Ethiopia has released three journalists and three bloggers charged with incitement and terrorism in a country known for media oppression, a media rights organization and the state broadcaster said.
- Nicaraguan police beat protesters and harass journalists Updated: Jul-08-15 7:02 pm
MANAGUA, Nicaragua - Police beat and detained government opponents and harassed journalists Wednesday at a protest outside Nicaragua's top electoral council.
- Sri Lanka revives media regulator that can jail journalists Updated: Jul-08-15 10:31 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka's revival of a media regulatory group that empowers the government to imprison or fine journalists is raising concerns from international press freedom groups.
- Billy Dilworth _veteran Georgia, SC journalist - dies at 80 Updated: Jul-03-15 5:52 pm
ATHENS, Georgia - Billy Dilworth, a veteran journalist whose career touched newspapers, radio and television stations in Georgia and South Carolina, has died, a coroner said Friday. He was 80.
- Longtime Saginaw journalist and wife die in car crash Updated: Jul-03-15 3:53 pm
SAGINAW, Michigan - A man who spent 40 years as a journalist at The Saginaw News has died with his wife after their car struck a tractor-trailer.
- Media rights group sues German spy agency Updated: Jul-01-15 9:51 am
BERLIN - Media rights group Reporters without Borders says it is suing Germany's foreign intelligence agency, claiming that it spies on the organization's emails sent to foreign contacts in countries such as China or Uzbekistan.
- Montana journalist, Red Elk, dies at 62 Updated: Jun-30-15 11:53 am
GREAT FALLS, Montana - Award-winning journalist and editor, Bonnie Red Elk, has passed away. She was 62.
- Former Polish senator charged in 1992 death of journalist Updated: Jun-29-15 1:19 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Prosecutors in Poland say they have charged a businessman and former senator from the city of Poznan with instigating the presumed murder of an investigative journalist in 1992.