- Plan seeks phosphorus cuts to stop Lake Erie algae Updated: Feb-27-14 5:33 pm
- NASA gives $100K grant to Texas A&M-Galveston Updated: Feb-27-14 4:30 pm
- Chile: Fossil whales in desert mystery solved Updated: Feb-26-14 5:22 pm
- Auburn council mulls lake algae treatment Updated: Feb-25-14 7:32 am
- Wis. Assembly approves delaying phosphorus rules Updated: Feb-20-14 8:56 pm
- USM project headed to space station Updated: Feb-18-14 4:34 pm
- Jamaica aims to revive economy with port hub Updated: Feb-17-14 11:34 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - Sharp cutbacks in phosphorus runoff into Lake Erie are needed to counter a worsening problem of algae blooms that degrade water quality, harm fish and chase away tourists, a U.S.-Canadian agency said in a report to both governments Thursday.
GALVESTON, Texas - NASA has awarded Texas A&M University at Galveston a one-year, $100,000 grant to fund study of why seaweed is infesting Texas beaches.
SANTIAGO, Chile - Scientists investigating a graveyard of marine mammal fossils near Chile's northern coast say toxins generated by algae blooms most likely poisoned the animals millions of years ago.
AUBURN, Maine - The chief of the Auburn Water District is asking the city council to approve a $1 million bond issue to pay for treatm6ents to cut down on algae in Lake Auburn and replace some water mains.
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wastewater plants, paper mills and food processors could take up to two decades to comply with Wisconsin's phosphorus discharge limits under a bill approved Thursday in the state Assembly
LONG BEACH, Mississippi - NASA has chosen a research project by a team at USM-Gulf Park to be tested by scientists aboard the International Space Station.
OLD HARBOR, Jamaica - This hardscrabble harbor town on Jamaica's southern coast seems an unlikely contender in an emerging regional competition over the shipping routes that carry global trade.