- 4 French journalists abducted in Syria freed, safe Updated: Apr-19-14 2:37 pm
- Tougaloo aims to raise $1M at scholarship gala Updated: Apr-19-14 9:34 am
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies Updated: Apr-17-14 12:46 pm
- Prominent human rights lawyer detained in Saudi Updated: Apr-16-14 1:42 pm
- Va. justices hear former Dem activist's appeal Updated: Apr-16-14 11:49 am
- Amnesty: Haiti human rights activist threatened Updated: Apr-15-14 10:14 pm
- Immigration activists urge Obama to act boldly Updated: Apr-15-14 3:55 pm
- Salt Lake County conventions choose nominees Updated: Apr-14-14 4:01 pm
- Vietnam releases dissidents amid foreign pressure Updated: Apr-14-14 10:26 am
- In Uganda, a nurse is accused of spreading HIV Updated: Apr-13-14 12:44 pm
- Abortion in cases of rape: New rifts in old debate Updated: Apr-12-14 11:20 am
- Occupy activist's police-assault trial opens in NY Updated: Apr-11-14 6:11 pm
- African migrants in Israel hold Passover meal Updated: Apr-11-14 2:22 pm
- Israeli peace activist Ron Pundak dies at 59 Updated: Apr-11-14 9:13 am
- In rural India, women want politicians to deliver Updated: Apr-11-14 3:07 am
- NYC mayor marks 100 days with impassioned speech Updated: Apr-10-14 4:22 pm
- Egypt women: Rights on paper, not yet on ground Updated: Apr-08-14 5:32 am
- Gun rights activists protest Conn.'s gun law Updated: Apr-05-14 9:37 pm
- Activists speak at hearing on oil pipeline Updated: Apr-03-14 10:42 pm
- Pro-marijuana activists seek ballot initiatives Updated: Apr-02-14 2:48 pm
- Educator to be honored with NC historical marker Updated: Apr-02-14 4:08 am
- Trump rallies against Cuomo, New York gun control Updated: Apr-01-14 5:39 pm
- Lebanese parliament approves domestic violence law Updated: Apr-01-14 9:38 am
- Conn. women influential in quest for equality Updated: Mar-30-14 11:04 am
- Illinois Gov. Quinn honors life of Cesar Chavez Updated: Mar-29-14 4:06 am
PARIS - Ten months after their capture in Syria, four French journalists crossed the border into neighboring Turkey and reached freedom Saturday, though dozens more remain held in the country's chaotic civil war.
JACKSON, Mississippi - Tougaloo College President Beverly Wade Hogan says she hopes the school will raise $1 million at a scholarship gala honoring civil rights activists.
NEW YORK - Basil Paterson, a longtime New York political powerhouse and the father of former Gov. David Paterson, has died, his family said Thursday. He was 87.
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Saudi activists say authorities have detained a prominent human rights lawyer in the capital.
RICHMOND, Virginia - The Virginia Supreme Court heard competing arguments Wednesday on whether a judge erred in conducting a single trial for a former Democratic Party official charged with molesting three children.
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - A leading human rights activist in Haiti has been threatened for his work, Amnesty International said Tuesday, marking the latest documented case of attacks or threats against watchdog groups in the Caribbean nation.
WASHINGTON - Latinos and immigration activists are warning of political peril for President Barack Obama and Democrats in the fall election unless the president acts boldly and soon to curb deportations and allow more immigrants to remain legally in the U.S.
SALT LAKE CITY - Republicans and Democrats have chosen their nominees for Salt Lake County seats at separate weekend conventions.
HANOI, Vietnam - Vietnam has granted early release to two high-profile dissidents, bringing the number of democracy activists freed this month to three in what the government Monday called a "policy of leniency."
KAMPALA, Uganda - Goaded by journalists who wanted a clear view of her face, the Ugandan nurse looked dazed and on the verge of tears. The Ugandan press had dubbed her "the killer nurse," after the HIV-infected medical worker was accused of deliberately injecting her blood into a two-year-old patient.
NEW YORK - Poll after poll over many years has shown that Americans overwhelmingly support legal access to abortion for women impregnated by rape. Yet the issue remains divisive, as demonstrated by two current rifts - one involving U.S. aid policy overseas, the other highlighting strategy differences within the U.S. anti-abortion movement.
NEW YORK - An Occupy Wall Street activist charged with assaulting a police officer went on trial Friday, with her lawyers saying she was wrongly accused in one of few still-lingering criminal cases that sprang from the protest movement.
HOLOT DETENTION FACILITY, Israel - Hundreds of African migrants gathered in Israel's Negev desert Friday to eat matzo and recall the Passover story, mere steps away from a detention facility where they are being held.
JERUSALEM - Ron Pundak, an Israeli academic and peace activist who was instrumental in initiating peace talks with the Palestinians in the 1990s, died Friday. He was 59.
SARAI, India - Trudging home after a long day harvesting wheat, Veena Devi has little time for the political workers swarming her northern Indian village seeking votes for their candidates.
NEW YORK - Mayor Bill de Blasio marked his first 100 days in office with an impassioned recounting of his populist values meant to re-energize his grassroots base and place his agenda within the framework of New York City's activist history.
CAIRO - Women activists say they won a major step forward with Egypt's new constitution, which enshrined greater rights for women. But months after its passage, they're worrying whether those rights will be implemented or will turn out to be merely ink on paper.
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Gun rights activists gathered outside the Connecticut state Capitol and protest the one-year anniversary of the state's wide-ranging gun control law.
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Public debate grew heated Thursday about Enbridge Energy's plan to nearly double the capacity of its Alberta Clipper pipeline across northern Minnesota.
DETROIT - Eleven cities across Michigan and one county have been targeted by pro-marijuana activists seeking ballot initiatives to legalize or decriminalize small amounts of marijuana for personal use.
DURHAM, North Carolina - An educator, civil rights activist and community leader is being honored with a North Carolina Highway Historical Marker in Durham.
ALBANY, New York - Thousands of gun rights supporters rallied outside New York's Capitol Tuesday to call for the repeal of gun control measures championed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo, which they intend to use as a rallying cry in the fall elections.
BEIRUT - Lebanon's parliament has approved a much-anticipated law that protects women against domestic violence after a yearslong campaign by women's rights activists and the recent slaying of four women.
DANBURY, Connecticut - Working for women's rights. Creating a path to male-dominated jobs. Overcoming societal restrictions on women.
CHICAGO - Gov. Pat Quinn is honoring the life of Cesar Chavez, the activist whose personal story is the subject of a new film.