- NJ peace activists remember Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-08-13 6:32 pm
- New protests at Egypt's Al-Azhar university Updated: Dec-08-13 3:43 pm
- At Art Basel, activists protest stun-gun death Updated: Dec-07-13 3:34 pm
- Few heirs apparent to Mandela's symbol of freedom Updated: Dec-07-13 11:35 am
- Syrian airstrikes on rebel-held city kill 13 Updated: Dec-07-13 11:32 am
- India arrests 2 suspects in activist's killing Updated: Dec-07-13 2:20 am
- Mandela mourned as inspiration in many struggles Updated: Dec-06-13 2:24 pm
- What you might not have known about Nelson Mandela Updated: Dec-05-13 7:59 pm
- Rights lawyers harassed as China hails rule of law Updated: Dec-04-13 7:07 am
- Pope prays for 12 nuns abducted in Syria by rebels Updated: Dec-04-13 6:41 am
- Lawmakers weigh passing, ignoring abortion bill Updated: Dec-03-13 5:05 pm
- Immigrant activists end DC fast, pass baton Updated: Dec-03-13 4:13 pm
- Oregon activists join immigration reform fast Updated: Dec-03-13 2:52 pm
- Florida activists join immigrants in national fast Updated: Dec-03-13 11:38 am
- Kenya journalists protest media bill Updated: Dec-03-13 11:16 am
- Arizona court to consider gun advertising issue Updated: Dec-02-13 4:59 pm
- Jailed Bahrain activist fails to win early release Updated: Dec-02-13 3:58 pm
- Myanmar still enlists boy soldiers despite reforms Updated: Dec-02-13 7:32 am
- Russian activists urge IOC head Bach on gay rights Updated: Nov-30-13 5:32 pm
- Hartford activists to mark World AIDS Day Updated: Nov-30-13 10:29 am
- Obama visits activists fasting for immigration Updated: Nov-29-13 5:53 pm
- Bangladesh strikes make working a dangerous move Updated: Nov-29-13 4:43 am
- NC labor activists protest low wages at Wal-Mart Updated: Nov-29-13 4:05 am
- A sinister night for 3 women in Egypt protest wave Updated: Nov-28-13 2:43 pm
- Mass. activists push to fully legalize marijuana Updated: Nov-28-13 9:29 am
NEWARK, New Jersey - About three dozen peace activists held a remembrance march in Newark Sunday for South African leader Nelson Mandela.
CAIRO - Egyptian police fired tear gas Sunday in an attempt to disperse supporters of the country's ousted Islamist president protesting at the dormitories of an Islamic university in Cairo.
MIAMI BEACH, Florida - Artists and activists are hoping to bring attention during Art Basel Miami to the death of graffiti artist Israel Hernandez-Llach.
The passing of Nelson Mandela leaves a waning number of global figures representing freedom and resilience against oppression - and a changing world that makes it harder for anyone to approach Mandela's iconic power.
BEIRUT - Syrian government aircraft on Saturday pounded a rebel-held city in the country's northeast, killing at least 13 people including five children, activists said.
NEW DELHI - Police said Saturday they detained two men suspected of gunning down an activist who campaigned in India against superstition and religious charlatanism - a killing that shocked the nation and led hundreds of self-proclaimed rationalists to protest in a west Indian city.
Nelson Mandela led black South Africans in their struggle to throw off the yoke of white rule and then helped the entire nation heal the wounds of racial division.
The world knows Nelson Mandela as a man who forever changed the course of modern history and who will surely continue to leave his mark long after his death Thursday at the age of 95.
BEIJING - About 200 thugs harassed lawyers and relatives of three civil rights activists outside a courthouse in eastern China on Wednesday, as top judges in the capital marked the anniversary of China's constitution by hailing the rule of law.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis called Wednesday for prayers for 12 Orthodox nuns who were taken by force from their convent in Syria by opposition fighters. Religious officials in the region have said the women were being held against their will, but a Syrian opposition activist said they were merely taken away for their own safety.
LANSING, Michigan - A citizen-initiated proposal that would require separate insurance for abortions landed in the Republican-led Legislature on Tuesday, with both sides immediately pressuring lawmakers to either pass it or leave it to voters.
MIAMI - Three immigrant advocates on a hunger strike to pressure lawmakers to change the country's immigration system ended their three-week fast Tuesday on the National Mall, while a new group of fasters including U.S. Rep. Joseph Kennedy III took their place.
PORTLAND, Oregon - About half a dozen Oregon immigrant rights activists are fasting for 24 hours to protest inaction in Congress on immigration reform.
MIAMI - Nearly a dozen Florida immigration advocates are fasting for the day in solidarity with activists on a hunger strike in Washington.
NAIROBI, Kenya - About 300 journalists and civil rights activists marched to parliament and the president's office Tuesday in Kenya's capital to protest what they say is an attempt by lawmakers to stifle criticism by pressuring journalists with monetary fines.
PHOENIX - An Arizona appeals court is considering whether Phoenix violated a gun-rights activist's constitutional protections by removing his bus-stop ads saying "guns save lives."
MANAMA, Bahrain - A Bahrain court has rejected a request for the early release of jailed human rights activist human Nabeel Rajab, lawyers representing him said.
CHAUNG THA, Myanmar - He disappeared when he was 12 years old, a skinny boy named Min Thu from the wrong side of town who thought he'd stumbled onto the golden ticket.
PARIS - IOC President Thomas Bach has met with Russian gay rights activists who urged an investigation ahead of the Sochi Olympics into national laws banning "gay propaganda."
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Activists, advocates and people living with the AIDS virus are marking the 25th annual World AIDS Day with events in Hartford.
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Friday told activists who are fasting to protest House inaction on immigration legislation that their "commitment to change" ultimately will help pressure lawmakers to act.
DHAKA, Bangladesh - The rickshaw driver was approaching an intersection in Bangladesh's capital when two men stopped his vehicle, doused it with gasoline and set it ablaze. The reason: He had gone to work.
CLAYTON, North Carolina - North Carolina labor activists say they're protesting the social cost of Wal-Mart's low prices.
CAIRO - The three women are among Egypt's most active democracy campaigners, the faces of its revolution. Through a string of rulers the past three years- autocrat Hosni Mubarak, the military, the Islamists - they have been at the forefront of protests, chronicled police abuses and struggled to limit the power of the military.
BOSTON - Pro-marijuana activists in Massachusetts have already succeeded in paving the way for dozens of medical marijuana dispensaries and decriminalizing possession of small amounts of the drug.