- Moscow small businesses razed, sparking anger Updated: Feb-10-16 10:36 am
MOSCOW - Russian activists and political commentators are criticizing Moscow authorities over the late-night destruction of small businesses when a number of buildings were flattened around the city on orders from city mayor's office.
- Hong Kong student held at airport after violent clashes Updated: Feb-10-16 3:11 am
HONG KONG - A Hong Kong student activist was detained at the city's airport on Wednesday morning, apparently on suspicion of involvement in a violent Lunar New Year clash between police and protesters, his group said.
- Bill would stop removal of Confederate, historic markers Updated: Feb-09-16 7:41 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Confederate monuments first erected after the Civil War to honor Southern soldiers have increasingly been targeted by civil rights activists who say they are offensive to blacks and should be taken down. An Alabama legislator wants to make sure that doesn't happen without state lawmakers' approval.
- Nebraska activists scold commission for Whiteclay beer sales Updated: Feb-09-16 6:30 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The director of the Nebraska Liquor Control Commission says that without substantive proof, it cannot act on allegations that beer-sellers in Whiteclay are abusing their licenses.
- South Africa to prosecute 4 apartheid-era cops for murder Updated: Feb-09-16 3:46 pm
JOHANNESBURG - The body of a young anti-apartheid activist who was kidnapped and tortured in 1983 by South African police has never been found, her family never able to mourn at a grave, her killers not sent to prison.
- Gay rights groups celebrate defeat of anti-gay Oklahoma bill Updated: Feb-09-16 2:06 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Gay rights activists are celebrating the Republican-led defeat of a bill that would have allowed Oklahoma businesses to discriminate against gay people.
- Activists demonstrate against sexual violence at Baylor Updated: Feb-08-16 11:28 pm
WACO, Texas - A candlelight vigil to protest Baylor University's response to campus sexual violence drew scores of demonstrators to the street in front of the university president's home Monday night.
- Beyonce's Super Bowl show bringing both praise and criticism Updated: Feb-08-16 7:46 pm
A day after the Super Bowl, people are still parsing over each frame from Beyonce's halftime performance, trying to glean the messages, both subtle and overt, that made for a stunning display of unapologetic blackness and political activism during one of the most-watched events of the year.
- Gay rights advocates sue over arrest at silent protest Updated: Feb-08-16 7:22 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Three gay rights activists have filed a lawsuit against the Kentucky State Police, alleging their rights were violated last summer when they were arrested for silently protesting an event at the state fair.
- Kurdish protest against Turkey turns violent in Paris Updated: Feb-08-16 9:16 am
PARIS - Clashes have erupted outside the Turkish Embassy in Paris after police moved in to disperse a demonstration by Kurdish political activists.
- Civil rights activist keynoting Orangeburg Massacre event Updated: Feb-08-16 4:00 am
ORANGEBURG, South Carolina - Civil rights activist the Rev. Joseph Darby is the keynote speaker at a South Carolina State University observance of the Orangeburg Massacre.
- Angela Davis stopped from visiting separatist in Spain jail Updated: Feb-07-16 10:55 am
MADRID - A delegation including American rights activist Angela Davis has been turned away from a Spanish prison where it tried to visit imprisoned Basque separatist politician Arnaldo Otegi.
- Thousands more Syrians rush toward Turkey to flee fighting Updated: Feb-05-16 5:09 pm
BEIRUT - Thousands of Syrians rushed toward the Turkish border Friday, fleeing a fierce government offensive and intense Russian airstrikes near Syria's largest city of Aleppo.
- Assange sex case sinks in international quagmire Updated: Feb-05-16 2:05 pm
LONDON - It started more than five years ago as what appeared to be a fairly simple sex crime case: two women in Sweden came forward to accuse Julian Assange of sexual misconduct.
- French activists denounce abuse of authority after attacks Updated: Feb-05-16 6:44 am
PARIS - French police have rounded up hundreds of suspects and searched more than 3,000 homes under a state of emergency since the November extremist attacks on Paris - but much of the action involves drug cases or similar crime, not terrorism.
- Judge says gyrocopter pilot can travel as he campaigns Updated: Feb-04-16 6:16 pm
WASHINGTON - A Florida man who pleaded guilty to landing a gyrocopter outside the U.S. Capitol as a political protest is getting a little bit more freedom as he awaits sentencing and works to plan a congressional campaign.
- US official requires citizenship proof in 3 states Updated: Feb-04-16 6:10 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - A federal elections official has decided - without public notice or review from his agency's commissioners - that residents of Alabama, Kansas and Georgia can no longer register to vote using a federal form without providing proof of U.S. citizenship.
- Activist behind Planned Parenthood video offered probation Updated: Feb-04-16 5:42 pm
HOUSTON - An anti-abortion activist's plan to reject a plea deal offering probation for charges related to making undercover Planned Parenthood videos likely means his goal is to use a trial as a public platform to criticize the nonprofit, according to legal experts.
- Ex-Georgia lawmaker ordered to pay $250,000 in restitution Updated: Feb-04-16 4:31 pm
ATLANTA - A federal judge on Thursday ordered a civil rights activist and former Georgia lawmaker to pay $250,000 in restitution to charitable donors he's accused of deliberately defrauding.
- The Latest: Planned Parenthood speaks on activists Updated: Feb-04-16 2:32 pm
HOUSTON - The Latest on the anti-abortion activists charged in the making of Planned Parenthood videos (all times local):
- Activists: Fire shelter chief for $1,000 purebred collie Updated: Feb-04-16 12:00 pm
PITTSBURGH - The executive director of the Western Pennsylvania Humane Society is on leave over accusations by online activists that she paid a breeder $1,000 for a purebred collie puppy rather than adopt a rescue dog from the shelter.
- Spanish king's UK trip delayed amid talks to form gov't Updated: Feb-04-16 10:43 am
MADRID - Spain's King Felipe VI is putting off a March state visit to Britain because of difficult negotiations among his country's political parties to form a new government following inconclusive December election results.
- Civil rights advocate Mckesson runs for Baltimore mayor Updated: Feb-03-16 11:36 pm
BALTIMORE - Civil rights advocate DeRay Mckesson has joined the field seeking the Democratic nomination for mayor of Baltimore.
- Records: Close contact between Ohio AG, anti-abortion group Updated: Feb-03-16 12:49 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's top law enforcer is in close contact with the anti-abortion group Ohio Right to Life, whose president sent a text message complimenting the press coverage after investigative findings were released against Planned Parenthood, state records show.
- Prominent DREAMer from Nevada endorses Hillary Clinton Updated: Feb-03-16 11:16 am
LAS VEGAS - Eight prominent immigration activists from Nevada are endorsing Hillary Clinton for president.