- Ohio Amish girl won't be forced to renew chemo Updated: Dec-06-13 8:23 pm
- Thousands seek refuge at Central African airport Updated: Dec-06-13 5:41 pm
- Security increased for foreigners in eastern Libya Updated: Dec-06-13 3:41 pm
- Church's nativity brings Christmas story to life Updated: Dec-06-13 10:04 am
- Utah governor, Mormon church praise Mandela Updated: Dec-06-13 9:56 am
- Correction: Vatican-Legion of Christ story Updated: Dec-06-13 8:59 am
- Minn. archdiocese posts list of accused priests Updated: Dec-05-13 5:50 pm
- ACLU objects to school choirs at church concert Updated: Dec-05-13 2:34 pm
- Pope forms commission to advise on sex abuse Updated: Dec-05-13 1:34 pm
- Byzantine Catholics welcome new bishop Updated: Dec-05-13 11:55 am
- Pope's call for church to be one of action draws raves Updated: Dec-04-13 3:18 pm
- Religion news in brief Updated: Dec-04-13 12:12 pm
- Pope prays for 12 nuns abducted in Syria by rebels Updated: Dec-04-13 6:41 am
- Funeral for former Bishop of Charleston set Updated: Dec-04-13 4:06 am
- Statement from family of former Miss. Gov. Allain Updated: Dec-03-13 6:08 pm
- Notre Dame sues over birth control mandate Updated: Dec-03-13 4:52 pm
- Pope gets boost for reform from unlikely source Updated: Dec-03-13 2:02 pm
- Vatican, Oxford put ancient manuscripts online Updated: Dec-03-13 11:59 am
- ACLU sues US bishops over Catholic hospital ethics Updated: Dec-02-13 7:43 pm
- Twin Cities archdiocese to release priests' names Updated: Dec-02-13 7:41 pm
- Sacramento atheists spark debate with billboards Updated: Dec-02-13 6:48 pm
- Polish priest convicted of child sex abuse Updated: Dec-02-13 12:41 pm
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in injury Updated: Dec-02-13 12:38 pm
- Netanyahu gives pope book by father on Inquisition Updated: Dec-02-13 11:52 am
- SC Baptists distribute Christmas gifts to inmates Updated: Dec-02-13 4:10 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - A court-appointed guardian is dropping her attempt to force an 11-year-old Amish girl with leukemia to resume chemotherapy after she and her parents fled their home to avoid treatment.
BANGUI, Central African Republic - Thousands of Christian civilians sought refuge at an airport guarded by French soldiers Friday, fleeing from the mostly Muslim ex-rebels with machetes and guns who rule the country a day after the worst violence to hit the chaotic capital in nine months.
TRIPOLI, Libya - Security for foreign instructors was increased after an American teacher was shot to death while jogging in Benghazi, amid fears that the death was not an isolated attack but rather one of an increasing number of targeted killings by Islamic militants or other gunmen with a strong presence in the volatile eastern Libyan city.
CUMBERLAND, Indiana - There are drive-thru restaurants and drive-thru banks, but a drive-thru nativity scene?
SALT LAKE CITY - Top Utah elected officials are praising Nelson Mandela, saying the world has lost one of its greatest leaders.
VATICAN CITY - In a story Dec. 5 about the wedding of a former Legion of Christ priest, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the Legion said less than 4 percent of Legion priests had been abused. Less than 4 percent have been accused of sexual abuse, according to the Legion.
MINNEAPOLIS - Amid mounting public pressure and under order from a court, the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis on Thursday published a list of 34 priests who have been accused of sexually abusing minors.
KALISPELL, Montana - Three high school choirs in northwestern Montana plan to participate in Christmas concerts at the Mormon church in Kalispell despite protests from the American Civil Liberties Union and the Freedom From Religion Foundation.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has responded to complaints that he has largely ignored the clerical sex abuse scandal by assembling a panel of experts to advise the Holy See on protecting children from pedophiles and helping abuse victims heal.
PASSAIC, New Jersey - Byzantine Catholics in 84 parishes from Maine to Florida have a new bishop.
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - It's hard to wrestle with the crucial moral and cultural issues in modern Argentina without getting Catholic and Protestant leaders into the same room.
Christmas tree is lit outside U.S. Capitol amid hymns
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis called Wednesday for prayers for 12 Orthodox nuns who were taken by force from their convent in Syria by opposition fighters. Religious officials in the region have said the women were being held against their will, but a Syrian opposition activist said they were merely taken away for their own safety.
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - A funeral service is scheduled for the Most Reverend David Thompson, the bishop emeritus of the statewide Roman Catholic Diocese of Charleston.
JACKSON, Mississippi - Statement from the family of former Mississippi Gov. Bill Allain, who died Monday:
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - The University of Notre Dame on Tuesday filed another lawsuit opposing portions of the federal health care overhaul that forces it to provide health insurance for students and employees that includes birth control, saying it contravenes the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis' efforts to reform the Machiavellian Vatican bureaucracy have gotten a vote of confidence from an unlikely source.
VATICAN CITY - Access to the Gutenberg Bible and other ancient manuscripts has just gotten easier.
The American Civil Liberties Union filed a sweeping federal lawsuit against the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops over its ethical guidelines for Roman Catholic hospitals, arguing the directives were to blame for negligent care of a pregnant woman who went into early labor and whose baby died within hours.
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis says it plans Thursday to release the names of priests credibly accused of sexually abusing minors.
SACRAMENTO, California - Amid the barrage of Christmas advertising, a group of non-believers is blanketing California's capital city with billboards proclaiming their lack of faith - and that atheists can be "good moral people, too."
WARSAW, Poland - A Roman Catholic priest in central Poland was sentenced Monday to 8 ½ years in prison after being convicted of sexually abusing five boys.
BOISE, Idaho - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its members cannot be held liable for injuries suffered by a child on a church-organized outing in Idaho six years ago, the Idaho Supreme Court ruled.
VATICAN CITY - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday gave Pope Francis a book about the Inquisition in Spain written by his late father, an expert on the Catholic Church's forced conversion and expulsion of Jews in the 15th century.
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Volunteers are again making sure South Carolina's inmates get at least one gift this Christmas.