- Tanker truck crash on New Jersey Turnpike sparks smoky fire Updated: May-05-15 2:35 pm
WOODBRIDGE, New Jersey - A stretch of the New Jersey Turnpike in Woodbridge Township has been shuttered after a tanker-truck crashed near an exit ramp, sparking a smoky fire.
- Forest Service chief expects busy firefighting season Updated: May-05-15 2:29 pm
WASHINGTON - The head of the U.S. Forest Service says the cost of fighting wildfires this season could be well over $1 billion and that the agency may have to borrow money from the very programs designed to prevent big fires in the first place.
- Vermont brush fire threat lingers; state bans burning Updated: May-05-15 2:02 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The state of Vermont is banning outside burning of brush to reduce the threat of fires during an extended dry stretch.
- US reopens investigation into Jeep, Dodge sun visors Updated: May-05-15 1:29 pm
DETROIT - The U.S. government is reopening an investigation into Jeep and Dodge sun visors after reports that some caught fire even after a recall repair.
- 13 homeless after blaze destroys Montrose apartment building Updated: May-05-15 1:26 pm
MONTROSE, Colorado - Firefighters say a dangerous blaze that destroyed an apartment building and displaced 13 residents probably started from a charcoal grill on the deck.
- Indiana woman accused of burning father seeks plea deal Updated: May-05-15 1:25 pm
RICHMOND, Indiana - A Centerville woman plans to plead guilty but mentally ill to burning her father to death in 2011, according to court documents.
- Man's secret cake ingredient for YouTube stunt? Gasoline Updated: May-05-15 12:44 pm
MAYWOOD, New Jersey - A northern New Jersey man lit his kitchen table on fire by adding lighter fluid and gasoline to a birthday cake recipe so he could post a video of the fiery result on YouTube.
- Firefighter recruits find training tough, but satisfying Updated: May-05-15 12:29 pm
DECATUR, Alabama - Flames leap through the room, glass windows break from the heat and smoke billows from crevices of the small, ranch-style house.
- Mobile home fire that killed 3 women accidental Updated: May-05-15 12:28 pm
COATESVILLE, Pennsylvania - Authorities say a fire in a mobile home that killed three women was accidentally sparked by smoking materials discarded outside during conditions ideal for the spread of fire.
- 1 dead after 4-alarm blaze strikes Arlington condo complex Updated: May-05-15 10:52 am
ARLINGTON, Massachusetts - Authorities say one person has died in an early morning four-alarm fire at an Arlington condominium complex that sent residents scrambling into the streets with nothing but the clothes they were wearing.
- Site of Ohio fire earlier ruled unsafe by city inspectors Updated: May-05-15 10:13 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Columbus recycling facility where a massive fire broke out last week had earlier been determined unsafe by city inspectors.
- Body found inside burning, abandoned Titusville house Updated: May-05-15 10:04 am
TITUSVILLE, Florida - One person is dead following a house fire in central Florida.
- Firefighters suspect arson after Tulsa business blaze Updated: May-05-15 9:10 am
TULSA, Oklahoma - Tulsa firefighters say a blaze that consumed a midtown vacuum store was intentionally set.
- Crews dodge ammunition fighting house fire near Pittsburgh Updated: May-05-15 8:13 am
PENN HILLS, Pennsylvania - Fire crews had to dodge ammunition that was going off when they responded to a house fire near Pittsburgh.
- Elderly man, woman die in north-central Ohio house fire Updated: May-05-15 5:59 am
GALION, Ohio - Fire officials say a man and woman in their 70s have died in a house fire in north-central Ohio.
- Officials: Fire that killed toddler started in kitchen Updated: May-05-15 5:13 am
VAN BUREN, New York - Authorities say the fire that killed a toddler in upstate New York over the weekend was caused by food left on the stove.
- Workers hurt in oil facility explosion in stable condition Updated: May-04-15 11:23 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Two workers are in stable condition after sustaining injuries in an explosion and fire at an oil facility in Converse County.
- Trailer fire kills 3 women from family; 4 relatives escape Updated: May-04-15 8:37 pm
COATESVILLE, Pennsylvania - A fire in a mobile home killed three women from the same family on Monday, but four other relatives escaped, authorities said.
- 2 charged with murder in death of Minnesota farm couple Updated: May-04-15 6:53 pm
MARSHALL, Minnesota - Two young men were charged Monday with murder in connection with the shooting death last week of an elderly Minnesota couple whose home was also burglarized and set on fire.
- 45 left homeless as fire engulfs church, apartment building Updated: May-04-15 5:58 pm
PASSAIC, New Jersey - Dozens of people were left homeless but no injuries were reported when a fire destroyed a church and damaged several other buildings in northern New Jersey.
- Weather Service reports brush fires across Vermont Updated: May-04-15 5:56 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Officials say fire warnings for much of the Northeast are scheduled to expire, but the fire danger still remains.
- Feds expand efforts to fight wildfires by reshaping forests Updated: May-04-15 4:32 pm
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona - The towering ponderosa pine trees are cut down and bundled in quick succession as heavy equipment winds its way through a national forest as part of the largest federal effort to reshape the forests to prevent wildfires. The felled trees then are shredded of their limbs and eventually will be taken from the forest in northern Arizona to Phoenix, where they'll be turned into pallets.
- Nevada fire that burned 144 acres mostly contained Updated: May-04-15 3:05 pm
NIXON, Nevada - A brush fire that burned 144 acres near Nixon has been 80 percent contained.
- 2 boys charged with setting fire in Delaware trailer park Updated: May-04-15 2:59 pm
NEWARK, Delaware - Fire officials have charged two boys with setting a fire that damaged three homes in a trailer park in Newark.
- St. Louis-area volunteer firefighter found dead in vehicle Updated: May-04-15 11:13 am
PORTAGE DES SIOUX, Missouri - A suburban St. Louis volunteer firefighter who was responding to a weekend blaze was found dead in his vehicle in a field.