- Iowa City high rises present challenge for firefighters Updated: Oct-11-15 11:31 am
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Iowa City's upward growth is changing the landscape of firefighting in the city.
- Police: Officer fires at car in zoo parking lot disturbance Updated: Oct-11-15 9:59 am
PITTSBURGH - Authorities in western Pennsylvania say a Pittsburgh police officer fired at a car that refused to stop after striking vehicles in the Pittsburgh Zoo parking lot, but no one was injured.
- Angry crowd riots on Phuket after 2 killed in police crash Updated: Oct-11-15 3:07 am
PHUKET, Thailand - An angry crowd hurled homemade fire bombs and torched vehicles at a police station on Thailand's resort island of Phuket to protest the deaths of two young men who died in a motorcycle crash while being chased by police, authorities said Sunday.
- Gas container explodes in restaurant in China, killing 17 Updated: Oct-10-15 10:40 pm
BEIJING - A leaking liquefied gas container exploded on contact with fire in a restaurant in eastern China, killing 17 people, authorities said.
- Cause of blaze that killed Pittsburgh woman probed Updated: Oct-10-15 6:24 pm
PITTSBURGH - Fire investigators in western Pennsylvania are trying to find out what started a blaze that claimed the life of a woman in Pittsburgh.
- US Forest Service wants more controlled burns in Washington Updated: Oct-10-15 3:47 pm
SEATTLE - The U.S. Forest Service wants more controlled burns in Washington forests to help make them more resistant to summer wildfires.
- 2 found dead after house fire in eastern San Diego County Updated: Oct-10-15 3:26 pm
SAN DIEGO - Authorities say two burned bodies have been found inside a home destroyed by fire in eastern San Diego County.
- Officials: Couple killed in Franklin condo fire, explosion Updated: Oct-10-15 2:12 pm
FRANKLIN, Massachusetts - The Norfolk district attorney's office says two residents of a Franklin condominium complex were killed in an explosion and fire.
- Business in northeastern Iowa's Waterville burned to ground Updated: Oct-10-15 1:41 pm
WATERVILLE, Iowa - Officials say a bar and restaurant in the northeastern Iowa town of Waterville has burned down.
- Minnesota man pleads guilty in death of man who went missing Updated: Oct-10-15 1:03 pm
BUFFALO, Minnesota - A Hutchinson man has pleaded guilty in the death of a 25-year-old man whose fragmentary remains were found in a fire pit last fall.
- New Orleans Fire Department seeks applicants Updated: Oct-10-15 12:58 pm
NEW ORLEANS - After a five-year hiring freeze, the New Orleans Fire Department has started accepting applications for new recruits.
- Officials: fire destroys home in New Castle Updated: Oct-10-15 12:53 pm
NEW CASTLE, Delaware - Fire officials in Delaware are investigating after a fire destroyed a home in New Castle.
- 2 men arrested, including selectman, in arson fire Updated: Oct-10-15 12:45 pm
PERRY, Maine - Maine State Police say a Perry select board member and another man have been arrested in connection with an arson fire at a vacant home in town last year.
- 10 Irish Gypsies, including infant, die in mobile home fire Updated: Oct-10-15 12:43 pm
DUBLIN - Ten people from two Irish Gypsy families, half of them children, died Saturday when their mobile homes caught fire before dawn.
- Fire forces residents from Cedar Rapids apartment building Updated: Oct-10-15 12:37 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - A fire has forced some residents out of a Cedar Rapids apartment building.
- Cadets, Habitat for Humanity help rebuild home lost in fire Updated: Oct-10-15 10:28 am
CANTON, Ohio - When his water line froze on Jan. 24, 2014, Jim Bell did what any home owner would do:
- Energy companies to pay $18m for West Virginia worker death Updated: Oct-10-15 10:22 am
WHEELING, West Virginia - Energy companies will pay $18 million to settle a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the widow of a man who died in a flash fire at a natural gas station in Tyler County.
- Man convicted of starting fire at county attorney's office Updated: Oct-09-15 11:10 pm
CASPER, Wyoming - A jury has convicted a man of setting a fire that damaged the Sheridan County Attorney's Office last summer.
- Fire destroys 5-unit apartment in Laconia; no one injured Updated: Oct-09-15 5:50 pm
LACONIA, New Hampshire - A fire destroyed a three-story apartment building in Laconia, New Hampshire, but no injuries were reported.
- Homeless advocate accused in lawsuit over Springfield fire Updated: Oct-09-15 5:13 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - The family of a 39-year-old man killed in a 2012 house fire is suing a community activist, accusing him of arranging for their son to live in a Springfield home that lacked safety features.
- 1 dead in southwestern Iowa house fire Updated: Oct-09-15 1:09 pm
ANITA, Iowa - One woman has died and her husband had been injured in an early morning house fire in southwestern Iowa.
- Investigation can't determine cause of fatal fire Updated: Oct-09-15 11:53 am
KALISPELL, Montana - Flathead County investigators were unable to determine the cause of a motor home fire that killed an 8-year-old girl.
- The Latest: Safety official says derailment was preventable Updated: Oct-09-15 11:20 am
MONTGOMERY, West Virginia - The latest on the results of a federal investigation into a fiery oil train derailment in southern West Virginia:
- Fire causes $20,000 in damage to Fargo apartment building Updated: Oct-09-15 9:44 am
FARGO, North Dakota - No one was hurt in a fire that caused an estimated $20,000 in damage to an apartment building in Fargo.
- Woman injured in chase with officers after suspicious fire Updated: Oct-09-15 9:02 am
MITCHELL, South Dakota - Authorities say a woman considered a person of interest in a suspicious Mitchell home fire led officers on a chase that ended when she crashed her vehicle.