- Kerry says he'll discuss pause in Yemen war with Saudis Updated: May-06-15 7:31 am
DJIBOUTI - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Wednesday he'll discuss with Saudi Arabian officials how to implement a "humanitarian pause" in Yemen's civil war, citing increased shortages of food, fuel and medicine that are adding to a crisis that has already caused thousands of people to flee to neighboring countries.
- Jordan's overland trade paralyzed by Iraq, Syria border woes Updated: Apr-30-15 3:08 am
JABER CROSSING, Jordan - Jordan's overland trade has largely been paralyzed by recent border attacks from insurgents in neighboring Syria and Iraq - a spillover of regional turmoil threatening a close Western ally that has thus far succeeded in fending off Islamic militants.
- Near Syrian border, wounded fighters and civilians recover Updated: Apr-30-15 2:24 am
KILIS, Turkey - Sitting up in bed, 16-year-old Anas Baroudi lifts up an orange blanket to show where his left foot used to be, before he lost it almost three years ago in Syria's civil war.
- San Diego man accused of making false statements about Syria Updated: Apr-24-15 1:01 am
SAN DIEGO - A San Diego man has been arrested after admitting to federal agents that he fought alongside militant Islamic fighters in his native Syria, and Facebook postings and photographs indicate he worked for a Sharia court known for meting out cruel punishment, a federal prosecutor said Thursday.
- Lebanon gets first shipment of $3B worth of French arms Updated: Apr-20-15 5:35 am
BEIRUT - Lebanon received the first installment of $3 billion worth of French weapons paid for by Saudi Arabia on Monday, part of a four-year plan to help arm Beirut in its battle against jihadi groups.
- UN envoy to start talks in May on new Syria initiative Updated: Apr-14-15 4:02 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. special envoy to Syria will begin consulting with key players to try to relaunch political negotiations aimed at ending the country's civil war now in its fifth year, the United Nations said Tuesday.
- Syrian peace talks in Moscow end in disarray Updated: Apr-10-15 11:36 am
MOSCOW - Talks between the Syrian government and the opposition ended in acrimony Friday with the parties blaming each other for the breakdown.
- US deports Salvadoran ex-general tied to 1980s rights abuses Updated: Apr-08-15 8:13 pm
SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador - A former general linked to human rights abuses during El Salvador's civil war in the 1980s was deported by the U.S. on Wednesday and flown to his home country, where officials said he faces no charges or restrictions on his movements.
- Suffering rises as militants take over refugee camp in Syria Updated: Apr-08-15 4:36 pm
BEIRUT - When hundreds of Islamic State militants muscled into the Yarmouk refugee camp last week and planted their black flags amid the charred, blown-out buildings, it was the latest trial for the remaining Palestinians who for two years have endured a suffocating government siege, starvation and disease.
- Turkish president visits Iran despite tensions over Yemen Updated: Apr-07-15 2:07 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan visited Iran Tuesday amid deep differences between the two nations over the conflicts in Yemen and Syria.