- WVU prof researches conflict management methods Updated: Dec-11-13 2:53 am
- Gunmen abduct Syria's leading human rights lawyer Updated: Dec-10-13 5:17 pm
- Syrian opposition gets lessons in negotiating Updated: Dec-09-13 8:55 am
- Iraqi FM warns of jihadi 'emirate' in Syria Updated: Dec-07-13 10:10 am
- All Syrian chemical weapons munitions destroyed Updated: Dec-06-13 12:44 pm
- Syrian refugees flee for safety through the desert Updated: Dec-05-13 5:30 pm
- Hezbollah commander killed outside home in Lebanon Updated: Dec-04-13 11:53 am
- Pope prays for 12 nuns abducted in Syria by rebels Updated: Dec-04-13 6:41 am
- UN: 250,000 besieged in Syria, beyond reach of aid Updated: Dec-03-13 3:52 pm
- Israel provides humanitarian aid to Syrians Updated: Dec-03-13 12:22 pm
- Sharp rise in Europeans fighting in Syria Updated: Dec-03-13 11:36 am
- US: American fighters in Syria a security risk Updated: Nov-30-13 1:36 pm
- Sri Lanka starts counting the civil war dead Updated: Nov-28-13 8:50 am
- Syria talks aim to build on momentum of Iran deal Updated: Nov-25-13 5:41 pm
- Iran deal could affect talks on Syria, Palestine Updated: Nov-25-13 2:36 am
- Lebanon pushed to edge - but, somehow, not over it Updated: Nov-21-13 1:00 pm
- UK probing reports Britons died fighting in Syria Updated: Nov-21-13 8:33 am
- Funerals held in Lebanon for Iran Embassy victims Updated: Nov-20-13 3:37 pm
- Lebanon blasts: Q&A about why they happened Updated: Nov-19-13 1:40 pm
- Suicide blasts near Iran Embassy in Beirut kill 23 Updated: Nov-19-13 12:39 pm
- Russian FM: Syrian opposition warms up to talks Updated: Nov-19-13 8:29 am
- Turkey: No tolerance for militants headed to Syria Updated: Nov-18-13 6:45 pm
- Assad gaining ground in Syrian civil war Updated: Nov-16-13 12:17 pm
- Albania refuses to accept Syria's chemical weapons Updated: Nov-15-13 5:41 pm
- Armed men burn records of El Salvador war missing Updated: Nov-14-13 6:49 pm
MORGANTOWN, West Virginia - A West Virginia University professor is researching conflict management methods of countries engaged in civil wars.
NABEK, Syria - Masked gunmen abducted a leading Syrian human rights lawyer and three other prominent activists in a rebel-held Damascus suburb Tuesday in a new sign that al-Qaida linked militants who have joined the fight against President Bashar Assad are trying to silence rivals in the opposition movement.
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Tucked away in a stately mansion in The Hague, members of the Syrian opposition in exile have been given lessons in how to get what they want at crucial peace talks next year in Geneva.
MANAMA, Bahrain - Iraq's top diplomat warned Saturday that the "toxic" proliferation of extremist groups among Syria's rebels raises the prospect of a jihadist-ruled territory at the heart of the region.
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The international chemical weapons watchdog announced Friday it has verified the destruction of all of Syria's unfilled munitions - another milestone along the road to eradicating President Bashar Assad's chemical weapons program by mid-2014.
EASTERN JORDAN - As evening gathers across a desert plain in eastern Jordan, 80-year-old Muteea Talaa stands with 200 other starved, cold and wet refugees on the Syrian side of a muddy ditch marking the border between the two countries, waiting for a signal from a Jordanian army patrol to cross over.
BEIRUT - Gunmen assassinated a senior Hezbollah commander after he parked his car in his apartment building's garage Wednesday in Lebanon's capital, a major breach of the Shiite militant group's security as it struggles to maintain multiple fronts while it fights alongside President Bashar Assad's forces in Syria.
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis called Wednesday for prayers for 12 Orthodox nuns who were taken by force from their convent in Syria by opposition fighters. Religious officials in the region have said the women were being held against their will, but a Syrian opposition activist said they were merely taken away for their own safety.
UNITED NATIONS - An estimated 250,000 people in besieged communities in Syria remain beyond the reach of aid, the U.N, humanitarian chief said Tuesday in a closed-door Security Council briefing that one member called "chilling."
JERUSALEM - Israel acknowledged for the first time Tuesday that it is providing humanitarian aid to victims of the civil war inside neighboring Syria, saying it has funneled food and other emergency supplies to embattled villages just across the frontier.
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - A new wave of Europeans is heading to Syria, their ranks soaring in the past six months as tales of easy living and glorious martyrdom draw them to the rebellion against Bashar Assad.
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Federal officials say Americans are joining the bloody civil war in Syria, raising the chances they could become radicalized by al-Qaida-linked militant groups and return to the U.S. as battle-hardened security risks.
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka's government on Thursday started counting the dead, wounded and missing in its quarter-century civil war amid international pressure to conduct a credible investigation into war crimes allegations.
BEIRUT - Within 24 hours of an interim deal aimed at reining in Iran's nuclear program, world powers raised hopes Monday for the first face-to-face talks to end the Syrian civil war as the United Nations called the warring parties to the table.
The nuclear deal between Iran and six world powers could pave the way for normalization of ties between Tehran and the West.
BEIRUT - By nearly all measures, Lebanon should have long ago buckled under the weight of Syria's civil war.
LONDON - Britain's Foreign Office says it is looking into reports that a number of British nationals have been killed fighting alongside al-Qaida linked groups in Syria.
BEIRUT - Undeterred by a devastating suicide attack that rocked the Iranian Embassy in Beirut a day earlier, hundreds of Hezbollah supporters pumped their fists in the air Wednesday and vowed eternal allegiance to the Lebanese Shiite militant group as they buried victims from the bombing.
BEIRUT - A pair of suicide bombers targeted the Iranian Embassy in Beirut on Tuesday, killing some two dozen people and leaving corpses, puddles of blood and burning cars strewn across an upscale, Shiite-dominated neighborhood of the capital.
BEIRUT - Two suicide bombers detonated explosions outside the Iranian Embassy in a mainly Shiite district of the Lebanese capital on Tuesday, killing 23 people, including the Iranian cultural attachÃ©, apparently in retaliation for the Lebanese group Hezbollah's support of Syrian President Bashar Assad.
MOSCOW - Russia on Tuesday urged Syrian President Bashar Assad's government to cooperate with the opposition in fighting "terrorists" and encouraged the regime to speed up the deliveries of humanitarian aid to the population - a call that reflects Moscow's attempt to position itself as a mediator in Syria peace talks.
WASHINGTON - Turkey's top diplomat pushed back on Monday against allegations that his nation has not cracked down hard enough on extremists crossing its border to fight in Syria's civil war.
BEIRUT - Forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar Assad have firmly seized the momentum in the country's civil war in recent weeks, capturing one rebel stronghold after another and triumphantly planting the two-starred Syrian government flag amid shattered buildings and rubble-strewn streets.
TIRANA, Albania - The mission to destroy Syria's poison gas stockpile was dealt a serious blow Friday when Albania refused to host the destruction, but the global chemical weapons watchdog said it is still confident it can eradicate the arsenal outside Syria by the middle of next year.
SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador - Armed men broke into a nonprofit agency that works to locate children missing from El Salvador's civil war and set fire to the group's archives, national fire officials said Thursday.