- Protests in southern Syrian city after Druze cleric killed Updated: Sep-05-15 8:04 am
BEIRUT - Anti-government violence spread on Saturday in a southern Syrian province that had largely stayed on the sidelines of the country's civil war, a day after the killing of a prominent cleric in rare explosions that claimed the lives of at least 25 others, activists and pro-government media said.
- Sri Lankan leader adds rival parties to consensus Cabinet Updated: Sep-04-15 5:44 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lankan leader Maithripala Sirisena presided Friday at the swearing in of 48 ministers in a new Cabinet for a consensus government including members of the two main rival political parties.
- Image of dead child on beach haunts and frustrates the world Updated: Sep-03-15 7:34 pm
The photo of the dead 3-year-old Syrian boy on a Turkish beach is haunting.
- Q&A: Syria's civil war at the root of migrant crisis Updated: Sep-03-15 1:36 pm
BEIRUT - A 3-year-old boy washes ashore on a Turkish beach. Seventy-one migrants suffocate in a truck in Austria. Daily scenes of chaos unfolding in European cities as governments try to halt a human tide heading north. There seems to be no letup to the horrors triggered by Syria's civil war.
- Head of UN investigative panel on Syria calls IS 'desperate' Updated: Sep-03-15 9:32 am
GENEVA - The Islamic State group appears "desperate" and is losing ground to Kurdish fighters who are battling the radicals "on behalf of humanity," the head of a U.N. panel on Syria said Thursday.
- UNICEF: 40 percent school dropouts in Mideast conflict areas Updated: Sep-02-15 10:47 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - Forty percent of children from five conflict-scarred Middle Eastern countries are not attending school, the United Nations agency for children said Thursday, warning that losing this generation will lead to more militancy, migration and a dim future for the region.
- New hospital in Jordan treats worst of Mideast's war-wounded Updated: Aug-27-15 4:34 am
AMMAN, Jordan - They are among the most tragically wounded from the Middle East's multiple wars. A 14-year-old Syrian girl whose lower legs were torn off by a shell. A 15-year-old Iraqi boy who was severely burned in a car bomb explosion.
- 6 killed in Syria after Israel retaliates for rocket attack Updated: Aug-21-15 4:43 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - Israeli airstrikes in southern Syria killed six people and wounded seven, Syrian state TV reported Friday, in retaliation for a rocket attack on Israel the previous day that Israeli officials blamed on militants backed by Iran.
- Israeli army: 4 rockets from Syria hit Israel; no injuries Updated: Aug-20-15 5:50 pm
JERUSALEM - Militants in Syria fired several rockets into northern Israel on Thursday afternoon, prompting Israeli retaliatory fire, the military said - the first time since the 1973 Mideast war that rockets from Syrian territory have slammed into Israel.
- UN approves statement aimed at restoring peace to Syria Updated: Aug-17-15 5:47 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The Security Council unanimously approved a statement backing intensive preparatory talks on key issues to restore peace to Syria on Monday, a sign of possible change in the U.N.'s most powerful body which has been deeply divided over how to end the war which has killed more than 250,000 people.
- Syrian rebel leader seeks Europe - fleeing gov't and jihadis Updated: Aug-17-15 12:38 pm
KOS, Greece - In the jostling chaos of a crammed refugee center, one man tries to introduce order - forming migrants into lines and collecting names for overwhelmed Greek police clerks.
- Iranian, Russian ministers present united front on Syria Updated: Aug-17-15 6:22 am
MOSCOW - The foreign ministers of Russia and Iran said after talks in Moscow that their two countries have a united position on Syria, with both diplomats warning against any outside attempt to dictate a resolution to the Syrian civil war.
- Deadly attacks surge as Iran's foreign minister visits Syria Updated: Aug-12-15 3:23 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - Iran's foreign minister, who negotiated his country's nuclear deal with world powers, discussed ways of ending Syria's civil war with President Bashar Assad in Damascus on Wednesday, as attacks surged around the Syrian capital, killing at least 36 people and wounding dozens.
- With virtual reality, a 360-degree view inside Syria Updated: Aug-11-15 1:41 pm
LOS ANGELES - The latest frontier in virtual reality could be closer to reality than fantasy.
- Saudi FM in Moscow for Syria-focused talks Updated: Aug-11-15 9:34 am
MOSCOW - Pressing to mediate the Syrian conflict, Russia on Tuesday hosted the Saudi foreign minister for talks that revealed sharp differences about the fate of Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- Oklahoma landowner seeks families of Civil War soldiers Updated: Aug-10-15 9:23 am
RINGWOOD, Oklahoma - A landowner in Ringwood has the tombstones of two Civil War soldiers and is searching for the men's families.
- Iran nuclear deal opens diplomatic channels for Syria Updated: Aug-07-15 4:58 pm
BEIRUT - The nuclear deal with Iran was widely expected to affect other Middle East issues, and that may already be happening with Syria: A series of recent diplomatic maneuvers suggest a growing willingness to at least engage with the Iranian-backed government of Bashar Assad on ways to end the country's civil war.