- Mary Landrieu, aide joining Washington lobbying firm Updated: May-26-15 1:23 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Former U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu is joining a Washington lobbying firm.
- Lawmakers fail to ramp up ethics laws for Missouri officials Updated: May-24-15 2:19 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Like most years, Missouri state lawmakers in the 2015 legislative session introduced a number of bills aimed at clamping down on ethics laws considered some of the loosest in the nation.
- State health care industry spent $19M lobbying lawmakers Updated: May-23-15 12:41 pm
BOSTON - Hospitals, insurers, doctors, unions and pharmaceutical companies spent a record $19 million trying to sway Beacon Hill lawmakers last year, a reflection of the industry's political and economic muscle and a rapidly changing health care landscape.
- Newspaper: Lobbyist continues to influence Brownback Updated: May-21-15 1:48 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A lobbyist who was once Gov. Sam Brownback's chief of staff continues to have influence with the governor and his administration, according to emails obtained by The Wichita Eagle.
- Federal judge dismisses tribes' lawsuit over Flathead water Updated: May-20-15 2:20 pm
HELENA, Montana - A federal judge has refused to get involved in a fight over water rights between Native American tribes and non-tribal farmers and ranchers on a reservation in northwestern Montana.
- Balancing act for House Democratic Leader Pelosi on trade Updated: May-20-15 11:01 am
WASHINGTON - As House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi delivered the signature achievement of President Barack Obama's first term: his health care bill. Now Obama's top second-term goal, a major trade deal, hangs in the balance on Capitol Hill and Pelosi is again on the spot.
- Advocates push lawmakers to help social programs in budget Updated: May-15-15 8:09 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - As California lawmakers begin drilling into Gov. Jerry Brown's $115 billion budget proposal, Democrats and social welfare advocates say they see many areas that need even more funding to make up for deep cuts during the recession.
- Secretary of state dismisses 38 Studios lobbying cases Updated: May-13-15 3:32 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Secretary of State is dismissing cases against three people accused of lobbying violations in the 38 Studios deal, including ex-Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling.
- Missouri lawmaker says he helps others hide lobbyist gifts Updated: May-12-15 7:37 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - An ethics complaint has been filed against a Missouri House member who says he has helped other lawmakers hide lobbyist gifts from required public reporting.
- Lobbyist expenditure report deadline nearing Updated: May-12-15 1:46 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The deadline for West Virginia lobbyists to file their lobbyist activity reports is nearing.
- Report: More lobbyists in Springfield than past 5 years Updated: May-10-15 12:25 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The number of lobbyists seeking out public officials in Springfield is at the highest level in five years, according to a newspaper report published Sunday.
- Davis docked for not disclosing ties to law, lobbying firm Updated: May-08-15 7:32 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas Ethics Commission has assessed a $5,000 civil penalty to former Democratic gubernatorial nominee Wendy Davis for not disclosing her interest in a law firm and a lobbying firm from which she receives fees.
- Lawmakers vet "cooling off" requirement for ex-legislators Updated: May-06-15 7:29 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada lawmakers are reviewing a measure that would require a "cooling off" period for former legislators.
- Number of North Dakota lobbyists down despite record budget Updated: May-06-15 2:04 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - The number of lobbyists registered for North Dakota's 64th legislative session was down significantly compared to the last three sessions.
- Lobbyists spend big on ads, with mixed results Updated: Apr-30-15 5:17 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Political advertising works to convince people how to vote, but does it influence how politicians vote once they get in office?
- Ex-US representative seeks to expand lobbying firm in Kansas Updated: Apr-30-15 12:28 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A former U.S. representative is leading a lobbying and consulting firm, which has sent letters to several Kansas businesses offering to represent their interests before the state legislature.
- NY ethics panel: $226M spent lobbying last year Updated: Apr-29-15 4:22 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York's ethics commission reports $226 million spent on state and local lobbying last year.
- Florida legislators vote to alter lobbyist gift ban Updated: Apr-28-15 6:32 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida legislators are backing a change to the state's nearly 10-year-old ban on gifts to lawmakers.
- Shuster hasn't considered recusal after dating lobbyist Updated: Apr-28-15 5:55 pm
WASHINGTON - The chairman of the House transportation committee on Tuesday said he never considered recusing himself from the panel's work on aviation legislation after he began dating a top airline industry lobbyist.
- Religious conservatives lobby for "religious freedom" law Updated: Apr-28-15 4:20 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Religious conservatives are lobbying North Carolina lawmakers to pass legislation that supporters say protects expressions of faith but that opponents contend would legalize discrimination against gays and lesbians.