- Union, business groups back collective-bargaining changes Updated: May-04-15 7:10 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Union lobbyists and business representatives made for strange bedfellows on Monday while testifying on a Republican-sponsored bill overhauling collective bargaining law.
- Lobbyists spend big on ads, with mixed results Updated: Apr-30-15 5:17 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Political advertising works to convince people how to vote, but does it influence how politicians vote once they get in office?
- Ex-US representative seeks to expand lobbying firm in Kansas Updated: Apr-30-15 12:28 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A former U.S. representative is leading a lobbying and consulting firm, which has sent letters to several Kansas businesses offering to represent their interests before the state legislature.
- Suspended Arkansas treasurer's employee to return to work Updated: Apr-29-15 8:35 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A top deputy at the Arkansas treasurer's office will return to work Thursday after an internal investigation of campaign-related emails sent while he was a lobbyist for a charity showed no wrongdoing, an office spokesman said.
- NY ethics panel: $226M spent lobbying last year Updated: Apr-29-15 4:22 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York's ethics commission reports $226 million spent on state and local lobbying last year.
- Florida legislators vote to alter lobbyist gift ban Updated: Apr-28-15 6:32 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida legislators are backing a change to the state's nearly 10-year-old ban on gifts to lawmakers.
- Shuster hasn't considered recusal after dating lobbyist Updated: Apr-28-15 5:55 pm
WASHINGTON - The chairman of the House transportation committee on Tuesday said he never considered recusing himself from the panel's work on aviation legislation after he began dating a top airline industry lobbyist.
- Uber hires former Brownback campaign manager as lobbyist Updated: Apr-28-15 2:07 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Ride-hailing company Uber has hired Gov. Sam Brownback's former campaign manager and several high-profile lobbyists to represent it in an expected legislative battle over regulations.
- Religious conservatives lobby for "religious freedom" law Updated: Apr-28-15 4:20 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Religious conservatives are lobbying North Carolina lawmakers to pass legislation that supporters say protects expressions of faith but that opponents contend would legalize discrimination against gays and lesbians.
- New Mexico lobbying to be storage site for nuclear waste Updated: Apr-26-15 5:13 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - New Mexico is touting a rural area in the southeastern part of the state as an interim storage site for the country's high-level nuclear waste, according to a letter issued by Gov. Susana Martinez earlier this month.
- Bill pulls back NC environment mandate on public funds, land Updated: Apr-26-15 10:59 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Leading North Carolina business lobbying groups are pushing to scale back a 1971 state law that requires government agencies to evaluate the potential results of spending public dollars or disturbing public lands on the environment.
- Environmentalists to state Capitol to lobby on Earth Day Updated: Apr-22-15 3:04 am
ALBANY, New York - Environmentalists are heading to the state Capitol on Earth Day to lobby with lawmakers.
- Flathead tribe comes under fire for lobbying activities Updated: Apr-20-15 9:11 am
HELENA, Montana - The Montana Commissioner of Political Practices has accepted a complaint alleging the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes accepted "dark money" supporting the tribal water compact during the current legislative session.
- Ethics Commission weighing how to administer lobbying law Updated: Apr-18-15 5:26 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Some Arkansas Ethics Commission members are questioning how they will administer a new law restricting their ability to investigate elected officials who accept gifts from lobbyists.
- Lawmakers approve $100 per year gift cap Updated: Apr-17-15 6:56 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia lawmakers passed new gift limits Friday that will make it much more difficult for them to be wined and dined by deep-pocketed lobbyists.
- Idaho business lobby leader reinstated after profane email Updated: Apr-15-15 7:16 pm
BOISE, Idaho - The leader of Idaho's pro-business lobby has been reinstated after being placed on leave for sending a profanity-laced email about a state senator.
- With legalization possible, pot growers become lobbyists Updated: Apr-14-15 10:05 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's marijuana farmers have existed in a legal gray area during the 18 years since the state became the first to allow residents to use the drug for medical purposes.
- Lawmaker allowed to work with lobbyists under ethics code Updated: Apr-14-15 1:47 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - State ethics rules don't prohibit a state representative from forming a law firm with two other attorneys who are registered legislative lobbyists, the Rhode Island Ethics Commission found on Tuesday.
- 2015 Idaho Legislature: What happened, what failed? Updated: Apr-11-15 4:04 am
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Legislature adjourned early Saturday morning after spending 90 days introducing new bills and fine-tuning Idaho's laws.
- University of Kentucky to pay $15K per month for lobbyist Updated: Apr-10-15 4:05 am
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - A Washington, D.C., lobbying firm will earn more than $500,000 during the next three years representing the University of Kentucky.
- Coalition cleared by ethics panel of wrongdoing Updated: Apr-09-15 4:49 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - The Hawaii County Board of Ethics cleared the Coalition for Tobacco-Free Hawaii of wrongdoing after the group's executive director apologized for neglecting to register its lobbyists with the county.
- Madison Co., Ridgeland dispute $1M for Lake Harbour project Updated: Apr-08-15 7:38 am
RIDGELAND, Mississippi - Ridgeland Mayor Gene McGee and Madison County are fighting over $1 million McGee says the city is owed for construction and expansion of Lake Harbour Drive.
- Walker's office considered giving mine lobbyist DNR job Updated: Apr-07-15 4:14 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Republican Gov. Scott Walker's staff considered making a lobbyist for a company seeking to dig an iron mine in Wisconsin the state Department of Natural Resources' deputy secretary, according to a newspaper report.
- Kansas quietly passed religious objections law 2 years ago Updated: Apr-06-15 6:22 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Religious objections measures in Arkansas and Indiana that prompted national criticism are similar to a law Kansas quietly enacted two years ago with the state's leading gay-rights group officially neutral.