- PDC: Inslee campaign didn't violate lobbying laws Updated: Jul-24-15 11:52 am
OLYMPIA, Washington - The state Public Disclosure Commission says Gov. Jay Inslee's re-election committee did not violate state lobbying laws when it sent emails to supporters on issues and bills in front of lawmakers.
- Powers behind 'Power' lobby Hill lawmakers for support Updated: Jul-22-15 9:01 pm
WASHINGTON - "Power" star Omari Hardwick and the creator of the popular Starz series lobbied lawmakers Wednesday for greater support for cable programs that appeal to minority audiences.
- U. of New Mexico contracts former lobbyist with 3 DWIs Updated: Jul-22-15 1:14 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A former lobbyist with three DWI arrests is under contract with the University of New Mexico's Health Sciences Center.
- Snyder names ex-utility lobbyist to Public Service panel Updated: Jul-22-15 12:56 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Gov. Rick Snyder has appointed a former longtime utility lobbyist to the Michigan Public Service Commission.
- European watchdog: Hungary should tighten anti-graft laws Updated: Jul-22-15 8:28 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Experts from the Council of Europe say Hungary should strengthen its anti-corruption laws, including regulating contacts between lawmakers and lobbyists and limiting the immunity of public officials.
- Walker calls for dismantling of state elections board Updated: Jul-20-15 3:52 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker on Monday called for the dismantling of an independent state agency that oversees elections and authorized an investigation into his 2012 recall campaign.
- High-stakes lobbying on Iran deal; pressure for Congress Updated: Jul-19-15 2:24 pm
WASHINGTON - Israel's ambassador to the United States raced in and out of offices on Capitol Hill, trying to persuade lawmakers that the nuclear deal with Iran is a historic mistake.
- NC advocates call for stricter fines for cheating employers Updated: Jul-17-15 6:44 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Pressed to take action on companies that misclassify workers as independent contractors, North Carolina lawmakers are pushing legislation backed by several business associations to set up an agency to investigate and punish cheating employers.
- Gov.'s legal counsel knew of board member interest conflict Updated: Jul-17-15 6:38 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The chief legal counsel for Gov. Pat McCrory knew almost a year ago that the law firm of a North Carolina Board of Elections member had received money from the target of an investigation into questionable political donations.
- Pro-Israel lobby backs group to fight Iranian nuclear deal Updated: Jul-17-15 6:15 pm
WASHINGTON - A powerful pro-Israel lobby is backing a new political group that on Friday launched a multimillion-dollar campaign to oppose the nuclear pact the United States recently made with Iran.
- Lawmakers back company responsible for decade-old Gulf leak Updated: Jul-16-15 4:40 am
WASHINGTON - Capitol Hill lawmakers from Louisiana have intervened on behalf of a New Orleans company that has failed to stop a decade-old oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico but lobbied for a refund of money reserved for spill containment work, according to letters obtained by The Associated Press through public records requests.
- Board finds no violation of North Carolina finance law Updated: Jul-15-15 6:31 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - An investigation into more than $270,000 in questionable donations to the campaigns of top North Carolina officials from an Oklahoma Internet sweepstakes magnate has found no violations of state campaign finance law.
- County lawmaker accepted gifts from anti-tobacco lobby Updated: Jul-15-15 1:14 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - Gift disclosures filed last month show a lawmaker accepted a $536 plane ride from anti-tobacco lobbyists before sponsoring a ban on e-cigarettes anywhere tobacco is prohibited.
- No more steak: Wining and dining of pols down in Va. Updated: Jul-13-15 5:31 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Prior to the corruption scandal involving former Gov. Bob McDonnell, lobbyists spent nearly $20,000 at Morton's Steakhouse during the 2013 legislative session. Two years later, that number fell to $3,200. A similar phenomenon occurred at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, where lobbyists reported spending nearly $16,000 during the 2013 legislative session. This year, they spent $2,500.
- NC election board member's firm worked for target of probe Updated: Jul-10-15 6:09 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - For 17 months, a member of the North Carolina Board of Elections appointed by Gov. Pat McCrory demanded regular updates about the confidential investigation into $235,000 in political contributions to the campaigns of the governor and dozens of other elected officials.
- As renewable energy debate heated up, firms doubled lobbying Updated: Jul-07-15 5:40 pm
BOSTON - As Massachusetts has increased its reliance on solar, wind and other sources of renewable power over the past decade, companies specializing in alternative energy have begun flexing their political muscles on Beacon Hill.
- Second lobbying complaint contends CSKT omitted reports Updated: Jul-02-15 1:55 pm
HELENA, Montana - A second complaint has been lodged with the state contending the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes omitted reports of their lobbying efforts at the Montana Legislature this year.