- Vietnam seems big winner in US-anchored Pacific trade deal Updated: Oct-07-15 7:56 am
HONG KONG - An ambitious Pacific Rim trade deal anchored by the U.S. promises to boost the economies of its 12 participating countries by opening their markets to one another, but not all the gains will be spread evenly.
- Study cites cybercrime's rising costs to corporations Updated: Oct-06-15 10:20 am
NEW YORK - Cybercrime costs are climbing for companies both in the U.S. and overseas amid a slew of high-profile breaches, according to research released Tuesday.
- Parts sold from biofuel plant that owes Mississippi $79M Updated: Oct-05-15 8:47 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Equipment from the failed KiOR biofuel plant in Columbus is being sold, but Mississippi taxpayers are likely to recover little of the $79 million that the state is seeking.
- Hewlett-Packard board approves plan to split in 2 companies Updated: Oct-01-15 1:51 pm
NEW YORK - Hewlett-Packard said Thursday that its board approved its plan to split into two separate companies.
- Omaha targeting data centers, hoping they lead to more jobs Updated: Sep-30-15 2:58 pm
At least 20 computer data centers are located around Omaha, Nebraska, including some just across the Missouri River in neighboring Iowa.
- States competing for data centers extend $1.5B in tax breaks Updated: Sep-30-15 12:51 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The former limestone mine seemed perfect for a large computer data center. The air was cool. The rock walls provided a defense against natural disasters. And the tunnels bored into a Kansas City hillside had access to abundant electricity and fiber-optic cables.
- Target to match online prices with online rivals Updated: Sep-30-15 12:06 am
NEW YORK - Starting Thursday, Target will now match its online prices with more than two dozen online competitors including Amazon.com and Walmart.com.
- Major companies form group to push for LGBT rights globally Updated: Sep-29-15 3:59 pm
NEW YORK - A dozen corporations, including Google Inc., Microsoft Corp., and Coca-Cola Co., are joining a new coalition to push for LGBT rights in the workplace in places beyond the U.S. and Western Europe.
- Google unveils Nexus phones with 'Marshmallow' flavor Updated: Sep-29-15 3:17 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Google is countering the release of Apple's latest iPhones with two devices running on a new version of Android software designed to steer and document even more of its users' lives.
- 6 noteworthy features in Mac system update Wednesday Updated: Sep-29-15 11:14 am
NEW YORK - The name of Apple's new Mac operating system says a lot about what to expect.
- Atlanta-based company expands into Albuquerque with 125 jobs Updated: Sep-28-15 7:12 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - An Atlanta-based information technology services company plans to create 125 jobs in Albuquerque over the next few years.
- Amazon, other stores to collect sales tax starting Thursday Updated: Sep-28-15 4:39 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan shoppers may want to order quickly, before Amazon.com and other online stores start collecting the 6 percent state sales tax this week under laws designed to make sure the state receives previously unpaid money.
- Get Started: Chip card fraud liability deadline days away Updated: Sep-28-15 12:13 pm
- Modi touts social media, tech development in Facebook visit Updated: Sep-28-15 12:50 am
MENLO PARK, California - Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi touted the power of social media and his own goals for developing India's tech economy on Sunday, speaking to a global audience from a "town hall" meeting at the headquarters of the world's largest social network.
- Silicon Valley to give India's Modi 'rock star' treatment Updated: Sep-26-15 12:06 am
SAN FRANCISCO - For a change, Silicon Valley is buzzing about something besides a sleek new device, mind-bending breakthrough or precocious billionaire.
- Omaha software developer awarded $43.8 million in lawsuit Updated: Sep-25-15 3:34 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - A Douglas County jury has awarded Omaha software developer Baldwin Hackett & Meeks Inc. $43.8 million in a lawsuit that accused a rival software firm of violating antitrust laws and breaching a nondisclosure agreement.
- Ad blockers rise as ads annoy, bog down websites Updated: Sep-23-15 11:42 am
LOS ANGELES - When you visit a website, you often find yourself waiting and waiting for advertisements to load. Video starts playing automatically, and animated ads jump in front of what you were there to see. The seconds tick by.
- After outrage, India rethinks draconian social media policy Updated: Sep-22-15 7:43 am
NEW DELHI - The Indian government backtracked Tuesday on a proposed requirement for all messages sent on social media and mobile chatting apps to be saved for several months as a way of defeating encryption technology.
- Starbucks: Mobile order-and-pay now available nationally Updated: Sep-22-15 7:30 am
NEW YORK - If you hate standing in line for your Starbucks fix, there's an app for that.
- Apple withdraws some China apps after malware found Updated: Sep-21-15 11:11 pm
BEIJING - Apple Inc. has removed some applications from its App Store after developers in China were tricked into using software tools that added malicious code in an unusual security breach.
- Fiorina's career as tech CEO is still a matter of debate Updated: Sep-21-15 8:13 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Ten years after GOP presidential candidate Carly Fiorina was unceremoniously fired from her job as chief executive of Hewlett-Packard, her tumultuous business career is still the subject of heated discussion.
- Declining smartphone maker HTC booted from blue chip index Updated: Sep-21-15 4:46 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan's stock exchange has removed smartphone maker HTC from its index of blue chip companies, signposting the dramatic decline of a business that once ranked as Taiwan's No. 1 brand and dazzled consumers with some of the world's first Android handsets.
- South Korea-backed app puts children at risk Updated: Sep-20-15 3:21 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - Security researchers say they found critical weaknesses in a South Korean government-mandated child surveillance app - vulnerabilities that left the private lives of the country's youngest citizens open to hackers.
- Colorado Springs computer chip maker acquired Updated: Sep-20-15 1:46 pm
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - Atmel Corp., which employs about 1,000 workers in a computer chip manufacturing plant in Colorado Springs, has agreed to be acquired by Dialog Semiconductor PLC in a $4.6 billion deal that is expected to be completed early next year.
- Michigan sues Hewlett-Packard over delayed computer overhaul Updated: Sep-18-15 5:33 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The state of Michigan is suing Hewlett-Packard Co., accusing the company of failing to complete a multimillion-dollar overhaul of computers at Secretary of State offices.