- HP's 2Q earnings slip, but still top analyst views Updated: May-21-15 5:53 pm
PALO ALTO, California - Hewlett-Packard Co.'s earnings slipped in the latest quarter as the long-slumping technology company struggled to boosts its sales while preparing to split up its operations.
- Hewlett-Packard sells stake in Chinese unit for $2.3B Updated: May-21-15 4:37 pm
NEW YORK - Hewlett-Packard is selling a controlling stake in its China server and storage unit, a move that comes as the Chinese government, apparently worried about U.S. cyberspying, has encouraged the use of local companies.
- Pakistan raids software company said to market fake degrees Updated: May-19-15 11:03 am
KARACHI, Pakistan - Pakistani federal investigators on Tuesday raided multiple offices of a software company after a report in The New York Times said it made millions of dollars marketing fake degrees worldwide, officials said.
- Apple updates MacBook Pro, cuts price on high-end iMac Updated: May-19-15 10:26 am
NEW YORK - Apple is introducing an updated MacBook Pro and iMac and lowering the price for its top-end iMac.
- West Haven man to turn troubled nightclub into restaurant Updated: May-17-15 3:05 am
WEST HAVEN, Connecticut - The former Central Pub across Campbell Avenue from City Hall is closed. A new owner plans to open up a new restaurant and bar, Stevie B's, that he says will "provide a safe, fun, clean atmosphere"- and far less trouble.
- Prying parents: Phone monitoring apps flourish in S. Korea Updated: May-15-15 4:46 am
SEOUL, South Korea - Lee Chang-june can be miles from his 12-year-old son but still know when he plays a smartphone game. With the press of an app he can see his son's phone activity, disable apps or totally shut down the smartphone.
- Cisco tops Street 3Q forecasts Updated: May-13-15 4:31 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Cisco Systems Inc. (CSCO) on Wednesday reported fiscal third-quarter profit of $2.44 billion.
- Romania turns hacking crisis into advantage, helping Ukraine Updated: May-13-15 3:34 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Ukraine is turning to an unlikely partner in its struggle to defend itself against Russian cyber warfare: Romania.
- Samsung announces new push into Internet-connected gadgets Updated: May-12-15 3:43 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Samsung wants to sell the digital brains that will go into billions of "smart" home appliances, industrial sensors and other Internet-connected gadgets - even if the gadgets aren't made by Samsung.
- Verizon buys AOL for $4.4 billion in mobile video bet Updated: May-12-15 2:59 pm
NEW YORK - After selling millions of Americans their mobile phones, Verizon now wants to capture their eyeballs, too.
- Connecticut based company says 'smart homes' on the rise Updated: May-09-15 3:06 am
STAMFORD, Connecticut - Phil de Terlizzi likens today's rapid proliferation of smartphone apps to the widespread use of remote controls for TVs and cable boxes that still clutter many coffee tables more than 65 years after the first ones hit the market.
- ACT to expand computer-based testing Updated: May-08-15 9:31 am
WASHINGTON - ACT test takers take note: The No. 2 pencil is losing its cachet. Greater numbers of high school students will be able to take the college entrance exam on a computer next year.
- In Tech: Mobile app, mobile phone, online TV Updated: May-08-15 4:11 am
NEW YORK - The iconic designer behind the simulation video games "Sim City" and "The Sims" wants people to tell stories visually on their mobile phones.
- Study: Top tech firms bypassing Asian workers for exec jobs Updated: May-06-15 3:38 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Google, Yahoo and other major technology companies are far more inclined to hire Asians as computer programmers than to promote them to become managers or executives, according to a study released Wednesday.
- Feds: 6 sweepstakes companies agree to quit North Carolina Updated: May-06-15 2:20 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Federal prosecutors announced Wednesday that they have reached an agreement with six large video sweepstakes companies that requires them to stop providing equipment and software to hundreds of Internet cafes in North Carolina.
- Tech executive mourned by Silicon Valley luminaries Updated: May-05-15 11:11 pm
PALO ALTO, California - Tech industry luminaries and friends gathered Tuesday for a memorial service honoring David Goldberg, a popular business leader whose marriage to Facebook executive Sheryl Sandberg made them one of Silicon Valley's most prominent couples.
- Googling on mobile devices surpasses PCs in US for 1st time Updated: May-05-15 1:13 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Google's influential search engine has hit a tipping point in technology's shift to smartphones. More search requests are now being made on mobile devices than on personal computers in the U.S. and many other parts of the world.
- Cognizant 1Q results top Street, lifts full-year guidance Updated: May-04-15 1:04 pm
TEANECK, New Jersey - Cognizant Technology raised its outlook for the year after strong performances in its health care and financial services units pushed both profits anid revenue beyond Wall Street expectations Monday.
- Microsoft opens Windows 10 to Apple, Android apps Updated: Apr-29-15 7:38 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Microsoft hopes to get more people using the next version of its Windows software on all kinds of devices by giving them access to many of the same apps they're already using on Apple or Android phones.
- Salesforce stock soars on takeover talk centering on Oracle Updated: Apr-29-15 5:25 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Investors are betting that business software service company Salesforce.com will be sold, with Oracle Corp. emerging as the early favorite to pull off a deal that could cost about $50 billion.
- Twitter stock tumbles after revenue, outlook miss Updated: Apr-28-15 5:40 pm
NEW YORK - Twitter's stock dropped sharply as the company's revenue and outlook fell short of expectations at a time investors are looking for stronger advertising growth to make up for less-than-stellar user numbers.
- Apple's Mac is selling strong, iPad not so much Updated: Apr-28-15 12:38 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple's iPhone was again the company's star in the first three months of the year. The tech giant sold 61 million iPhones, or 40 percent more than in the same period a year ago. That represented about two-thirds of its $58 billion in revenue.
- Forget the watch: Apple's iPhones are still the main event Updated: Apr-27-15 7:11 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The iPhone is still the engine behind Apple's phenomenal success, even if attention lately has been focused on its new smartwatch.
- Apple beats Street 2Q forecasts Updated: Apr-27-15 4:49 pm
CUPERTINO, California _ Apple Inc. (AAPL) on Monday reported fiscal second-quarter profit of $13.57 billion.
- Starbucks: Computer outage fixed; stores to reopen Saturday Updated: Apr-25-15 3:59 am
SEATTLE - A computer outage hit thousands of Starbucks stores Friday, and some gave away free drinks before many closed early to the dismay of caffeine-craving patrons.