- 3 ex-trucking executives in Texas get prison for $16M fraud Updated: Feb-09-16 9:40 am
HOUSTON - The former head of a South Texas trucking company must serve eight years in prison over a nearly $16 million loan scam.
- Spain: Princess Cristina back in court for tax fraud trial Updated: Feb-09-16 4:40 am
PALMA DE MALLORCA, Spain - Spain's Princess Cristina was back in court Tuesday for trial along with 17 others, including her husband, on charges ranging from tax fraud to embezzlement.
- Former CU professor sentenced for lab equipment scheme Updated: Feb-08-16 9:39 pm
BOULDER, Colorado - A former University of Colorado professor accused of creating a company to sell marked-up lab equipment to the Boulder campus has pleaded guilty to misdemeanor theft.
- Construction execs to pay back feds in $19M fraud scheme Updated: Feb-08-16 6:47 am
PHILADELPHIA - Two Pennsylvania construction executives have been ordered to pay the government $1 million each after admitting they fraudulently funneled nearly $19 million in federally funded projects to a family firm.
- Former court clerk ordered to pay back $1M, at $600 a month Updated: Feb-07-16 9:39 pm
MCCOMB, Mississippi - A former court clerk who pleaded guilty to embezzlement must pay back more than $1 million, at $600 a month, a Mississippi judge has ruled.
- Correction: Insider Trading-Charges story Updated: Feb-07-16 3:59 pm
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - In a story Feb. 6 about a former executive accused of insider trading, The Associated Press reported erroneously that Harman International Industries Inc. was accused of allowing directors to buy or sell Harman securities during a declared trading period window. The company did allow directors to buy or sell Harman securities during a declared trading period window, but it is not accused of any wrongdoing.
- Ex-'Survivor' contestant charged with possessing child porn Updated: Feb-06-16 1:16 pm
CLARKSTON, Michigan - Michigan authorities have charged a former "Survivor" contestant with possessing child pornography and running Ponzi scheme.
- Hospital CEO, 5 others arrested in prescription drug sting Updated: Feb-05-16 4:17 am
BLAIRSVILLE, Georgia - The CEO of a north Georgia hospital is one of six suspects accused of being involved with fraudulent prescription painkillers.
- NY court agrees to rehear Ex-Goldman board member's appeal Updated: Feb-04-16 9:24 pm
NEW YORK - A federal appeals court agreed on Thursday to rehear the appeal of the insider-trading conviction of a former board member for Goldman Sachs and Proctor & Gamble.
- Montana man gets prison for casino robbery, embezzlement Updated: Feb-04-16 5:09 am
MISSOULA, Montana - A man who pleaded guilty to robbing the Gray Wolf Peak Casino and embezzling money from clients of his contracting company has been sentenced 29 years in prison.
- Ex-official's sentencing set in West Virginia chemical spill Updated: Feb-04-16 3:05 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - A former plant manager at Freedom Industries is due in court for sentencing in a 2014 chemical spill that fouled the drinking water supply of 300,000 West Virginians.
- Former LA Port police chief pleads guilty to tax evasion Updated: Feb-03-16 10:33 pm
LOS ANGELES - The former Port of Los Angeles police chief has pleaded guilty to tax evasion and making false statements to FBI agents probing an alleged bribery scheme.
- Former steel manufacturer exec pleads guilty to fraud Updated: Feb-03-16 6:47 pm
BURLINGTON, Vermont - A chief financial officer of a New Hampshire steel manufacturer that faced bankruptcy has pleaded guilty in Vermont to charges of making false statements about assets, in what prosecutors said was a multi-million-dollar bank fraud case.
- Review reveals problems protecting workers from pesticides Updated: Feb-03-16 1:12 pm
BELLE GLADE, Florida - Dozens of farmworkers looked up at the little yellow plane buzzing over the Florida radish field, a mist of pesticide falling from its wings.
- Former Missouri sheriff to be sentenced for embezzlement Updated: Feb-03-16 9:39 am
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - A former southwest Missouri sheriff is set to be sentenced later this month for embezzlement and promoting a fraudulent investment scheme.
- Algeria: 8 convicted in vast, high-level oil corruption case Updated: Feb-03-16 5:21 am
ALGIERS, Algeria - An Algerian court has fined German and Italian companies and convicted eight people of corruption or related crimes in a vast trial into wrongdoing around state-run oil giant Sonatrach.
- St. Joseph man pleads guilty in solar energy fraud case Updated: Feb-03-16 2:35 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The owner of solar energy installation company in St. Joseph has pleaded guilty to conspiracy in a $1.4 million fraud scheme.
- Billings accountant pleads not guilty to embezzlement Updated: Feb-01-16 12:13 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - A Billings accountant has been accused of embezzling almost $100,000 from a corporate client.
- China company accused of fleecing investors of $7.6 billion Updated: Feb-01-16 8:08 am
BEIJING - Police arrested the maverick founder of China's largest online finance business on suspicion of fleecing 900,000 investors of $7.6 billion, in what could be the biggest financial fraud in Chinese history.
- The Latest: Navy commander pleads guilty in bribery case Updated: Jan-28-16 7:35 pm
SAN DIEGO - 4 p.m.
- Long Island man gets 15 years in prison for $35M fraud Updated: Jan-28-16 7:34 pm
NEW YORK - A Long Island man has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for a $35 million fraud that a judge says wrecked investors' lives.
- Corporation commissioner to probe APS political spending Updated: Jan-28-16 6:37 pm
PHOENIX - An Arizona Corporation Commissioner who was rebuffed after asking the state's largest electric utility to disclose it political spending has launched a formal investigation into the company's political and charitable spending.
- Japan economy minister quits over graft allegations Updated: Jan-28-16 6:09 am
TOKYO - Japan's economy minister resigned Thursday as he fended off corruption allegations, in a setback for Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's effort to rev up growth in the world's third-largest economy.
- Ex-Fannie Mae boss's lawyer: SEC lacks civil fraud evidence Updated: Jan-27-16 5:50 pm
NEW YORK - A former Fannie Mae top executive didn't mislead investors about the mortgage giant's exposure to subprime mortgages just before the housing bubble burst and should not face a civil trial in Manhattan, his lawyer said Wednesday.
- Iowa ethanol executives charged with federal tax violations Updated: Jan-27-16 2:53 pm
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - Managers of an eastern Iowa ethanol company face multiple charges of federal tax violations.