- AP Source: Fiat Chrysler, Google in partnership talks Updated: Apr-28-16 4:50 pm
DETROIT - Fiat Chrysler and Google's self-driving car project are in advanced talks to form a technical partnership.
- Volkswagen CEO apologized in person to Obama over scandal Updated: Apr-28-16 11:04 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Volkswagen's CEO says he apologized in person to U.S. President Barack Obama for the carmaker's emissions scandal, in which it rigged its cars to cheat on diesel engine pollution tests.
- Germany to subsidize electric cars to help own auto industry Updated: Apr-27-16 9:13 am
BERLIN - Germany's auto industry risks being overtaken by foreign competitors unless it receives greater domestic support, the country's economy minister said Wednesday, announcing a 1 billion euro ($1.13 billion) plan to subsidize electric cars that are seen as the technology of the future.
- Dubai pushes the pedal to the metal on driverless cars Updated: Apr-25-16 2:34 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Already home to the world's biggest skyscraper, Dubai has another tall order to fill: By 2030, its leader wants 25 percent of all trips on its roads to be done by driverless vehicles.
- City council considers charging stations on public property Updated: Apr-25-16 8:06 am
NEW ORLEANS - The New Orleans City Council is considering whether to let residents install electric vehicle charging stations next to curbs. It's a move that would be a boon for drivers of such vehicles who live in homes without off-street parking.
- Bad week for German automakers: Huge costs, new probe Updated: Apr-22-16 5:22 pm
WOLFSBURG, Germany - It's been a bad week for German automakers.
- Correction: China-Electric Car Dreams story Updated: Apr-21-16 2:22 am
SHENZHEN, China - SHENZHEN, China - In an article April 20 about electric vehicle manufacturer BYD Co.'s plans for the U.S. market, The Associated Press misspelled the first name of the company's vice president for the United States. His name is Micheal, not Michael.
- Company opening Mobility Innovation Center near Detroit Updated: Apr-20-16 9:34 am
SOUTHFIELD, Michigan - A consulting, management and engineering company is opening a Mobility Innovation Center in suburban Detroit and plans to hire 100 employees in its automotive division.
- Drugstore chain CVS pushes convenience with curbside pickups Updated: Apr-19-16 7:00 am
CVS Health will spread its curbside pickup service to drugstores nationwide this year, as traditional retailers continue to hone their reputations for convenience and fight fierce competition online.
- Arizona utility changing vehicle fleet to electric plug-ins Updated: Apr-16-16 11:21 am
PHOENIX - Arizona's largest electric utility is converting its vehicle fleet to electric plug-in models.
- Precious metal: Is Nevada on the verge of a lithium rush? Updated: Apr-16-16 11:01 am
LAS VEGAS - About five years ago, prospectors rushed to Nevada seeking a key component of the batteries that power the modern economy, one reliant on cellphones and laptops.
- GM says it will phase out cars without air bags Updated: Apr-14-16 6:04 pm
DETROIT - General Motors Co. said Thursday it will phase out cars without air bags and other safety features after its Chevrolet Sail subcompact flunked a crash test in Latin America.
- Electric car firm Faraday aims to start Nevada plant by 2018 Updated: Apr-13-16 7:14 pm
NORTH LAS VEGAS, Nevada - Upstart electric car company Faraday Future hopes to have its first vehicles rolling off the assembly line in 2018, a company executive said Wednesday, as officials marked the start of construction on a planned $1 billion Las Vegas-area production plant.
- Air bag danger: US counts 85M unrecalled Takata inflators Updated: Apr-13-16 5:01 pm
DETROIT - About 85 million Takata air bag inflators that haven't been recalled are inside cars and trucks now being driven in the U.S. and would have to be replaced if the company can't prove they are safe, the government said Wednesday.
- Demand for the new Tesla is wild, but limited to tech fans Updated: Apr-12-16 5:44 pm
DETROIT - Demand for Tesla's new Model 3 has been eye-popping, with consumers pre-ordering about $13.7 billion worth of the electric sedans nearly two years before they go on sale.
- Panel approves more charging stations for electric vehicles Updated: Apr-12-16 3:53 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Kentucky officials have approved a proposal to increase the number of public charging stations for electric vehicles.
- Experts tell US agency to slow down on self-driving cars Updated: Apr-09-16 4:33 am
WASHINGTON - Engineers, safety advocates and even automakers have a safety message for federal regulators eager to get self-driving cars on the road: slow down.
- Google to test self-driving cars in Phoenix area Updated: Apr-07-16 3:39 pm
CHANDLER, Arizona - Google is bringing its self-driving vehicles to Phoenix to see how the SUVs perform in Arizona's sweltering summer.
- Toyota picks Ann Arbor for research site for driverless cars Updated: Apr-07-16 2:58 pm
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - Toyota says it will open a research site in Ann Arbor where 50 people will work on artificial intelligence, robotics and autonomous cars.
- Toyota forms company to make technology simpler Updated: Apr-04-16 1:06 pm
DETROIT - Toyota is forming a new data science company in partnership with Microsoft that's designed to free customers "from the tyranny of technology."
- Hundreds expected for Robotics Day at University of Michigan Updated: Apr-04-16 12:07 pm
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - Hundreds of people are expected to participate in a conference in Ann Arbor that includes talks by leaders in the field of robotics.
- In race to improve batteries, nanotechnology provides hope Updated: Apr-04-16 11:21 am
PRAGUE - In the global race to create more efficient and long-lasting batteries, some are betting on nanotechnology - the use of minuscule parts - as the most likely to yield a breakthrough.
- Honda recalls 160,000 Fit and Vezel vehicles in Japan Updated: Apr-04-16 6:24 am
TOKYO - Honda recalled 160,000 Fit subcompact and Vezel sport-utility vehicles in Japan on Monday because of defects in power steering and a part that controls the electric current in the vehicles. The recall does not affect any Honda models sold abroad.
- Orders for lower-price Tesla continue to climb Updated: Apr-03-16 1:48 pm
NEW YORK - Demand for Tesla Motors' new lower-priced electric car continued to climb over the weekend with pre-orders rising to 253,000.
- New York's new budget boosts environmental spending Updated: Apr-02-16 8:38 am
ALBANY, New York - New York's new state budget includes $500 million for environmental programs including water system upgrades and rebates for electric vehicle purchases.