- Ill. taxpayers affected by tornadoes get extension Updated: Dec-13-13 5:06 am
- Police: 2 people killed after Utah rock slide Updated: Dec-13-13 4:05 am
- Typhoon Haiyan deaths in Philippines top 6,000 Updated: Dec-12-13 11:37 pm
- Governors prepared to do more to fight wildfires Updated: Dec-12-13 8:27 pm
- Last of rescued Nevada family leaves hospital Updated: Dec-12-13 7:28 pm
- Small quake shakes southern Black Hills Updated: Dec-12-13 12:11 pm
- 3 arrested for looting in Washington Updated: Dec-12-13 7:10 am
- Review: Katrina drama is Paul Walker's finest hour Updated: Dec-11-13 7:14 pm
- FEMA rejects major disaster declaration for Ind. Updated: Dec-11-13 6:32 pm
- Mudslide forces some residents out in Logan County Updated: Dec-11-13 6:08 pm
- Inmates help remove tornado debris in Diamond Updated: Dec-11-13 12:14 pm
- Ill. gets $1M in federal grants after tornadoes Updated: Dec-11-13 11:29 am
- Postal services resume at Moore post office Updated: Dec-11-13 10:08 am
- Royal Gorge Bridge to reopen Updated: Dec-11-13 9:14 am
- Yarnell getting donation of pipe for water system Updated: Dec-11-13 7:53 am
- Backcountry skier survives avalanche in Utah gully Updated: Dec-10-13 7:55 pm
- Calif. lawmakers call for drought declaration Updated: Dec-10-13 6:19 pm
- Mississippi River low again; rock removal begins Updated: Dec-10-13 5:42 pm
- Local leaders planning for climate effects Updated: Dec-10-13 5:39 pm
- Crews stop 50-acre brush fire in Ventura County Updated: Dec-10-13 12:43 pm
- Colorado Editorial Roundup Updated: Dec-10-13 11:32 am
- 2 Haitians helped with surgeries in Kansas Updated: Dec-10-13 11:21 am
- Judge denies motion to toss ex-mayor's conviction Updated: Dec-10-13 11:01 am
- Renters insurance inquires climb after Ill. storms Updated: Dec-10-13 10:46 am
- New Minden residents rebuild after deadly twister Updated: Dec-10-13 9:01 am
CHICAGO - Illinois taxpayers affected by last month's deadly tornadoes are getting more time to file their returns.
ROCKVILLE, Utah - Two people were killed after a rock slide destroyed their home in Rockville.
MANILA, Philippines - The death toll from Typhoon Haiyan that struck the central Philippines on Nov. 8 has passed 6,000 with nearly 1,800 people missing, officials said Friday.
LAS VEGAS - Governors from several Western states told federal officials on Thursday they are prepared to take on more responsibility for fighting wildfires.
LOVELOCK, Nevada - The last of the six family members who were rescued after two days in subzero temperatures in Nevada's wilderness left the hospital Thursday with friends and relatives who still can't believe they survived the ordeal.
CUSTER, South Dakota - The U.S. Geological Survey says a small early morning earthquake rumbled in the Black Hills.
WASHINGTON, Illinois - Three Peoria men are in custody after investigators say they were looting a tornado-damaged home in the central Illinois community of Washington.
LOS ANGELES - An ingeniously simple setup is cunningly exploited for maximum suspense in "Hours," a slow-building, consistently engrossing drama set during and immediately after the devastation wrought on New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina. Making a most impressive debut as feature helmer, scripter Eric Heisserer graduates from savvy genre fare ("Final Destination 5") to more mainstream moviemaking with this intense tale of a father's desperate efforts to keep his prematurely born daughter alive in a hospital abandoned after power is knocked out by flooding.
INDIANAPOLIS - Gov. Mike Pence says the federal government has rejected Indiana's request that Howard County be declared a major disaster area because of damage from last month's tornadoes and severe storms.
LYBURN, West Virginia - Authorities have temporarily removed three dozen Logan County residents from their homes after a hillside gave way and cut off access to a road.
DIAMOND, Illinois - More than a dozen Illinois prison inmates are helping clear tornado debris from the village of Diamond to the south of Chicago.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Pat Quinn's office says federal aid for Illinois tornado victims has topped $1 million.
MOORE, Oklahoma - More signs of normalcy are returning to residents of Moore more than six months after the deadly tornado.
CANON CITY, Colorado - Royal Gorge Bridge & Park officials plan to reopen the scenic tourist attraction in March after a wildfire gutted buildings and caused minor damage to the bridge in June.
YARNELL, Arizona - Yarnell's water system is getting a $225,000 donation of pipe for restoration and repair work in the wake of the wildfire that devastated the Yavapai County community last summer.
SALT LAKE CITY - An avalanche that was caught on video dragged a backcountry skier into a Utah ravine and buried her in snow, but the woman survived because she deployed a special air bag and other skiers were able to quickly dig her out, witnesses said Tuesday.
SAN FRANCISCO - With another dry winter looming, California lawmakers called on Gov. Jerry Brown and President Barack Obama to declare a drought emergency and federal disaster in the state.
ST. LOUIS - The up-and-down Mississippi River is down again, and the Army Corps of Engineers began rock removal efforts Tuesday in an attempt to ensure the river remains open to barge traffic through the winter.
WASHINGTON - When it comes to climate change, local officials have a message for Washington: Lead or get out of the way.
MOORPARK, California - Firefighters have stopped the forward progress of a wildfire in Ventura County that was fanned by strong Santa Ana winds.
A sampling of recent editorials from Colorado newspapers:
GALENA, Kansas - Beatrice Massier and Esther Julnide lined up their walkers Monday afternoon for a footrace of sorts.
JACKSON, Mississippi - A federal judge has denied a motion to throw out the conviction of a former south Mississippi mayor sentenced to probation in a Hurricane Katrina fraud case.
WASHINGTON, Illinois - An insurance agent in central Illinois says he's noticing an increase in the number of inquiries about renters' insurance following the deadly November tornadoes.
NEW MINDEN, Illinois - Residents of a southwestern Illinois community say they'll rebuild after last month's deadly tornadoes.