- Venezuela crackdown stuns once-welcomed Colombian migrants Updated: Aug-27-15 10:46 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Leidy Echeverri fled the Colombian countryside six years ago with her toddler in tow after a paramilitary group threatened her husband's life. Now she's again taken her children and run, this time in the other direction, amid a Venezuelan crackdown on Colombian immigrants.
- With 2 killings this week, Louisiana police deaths rising Updated: Aug-27-15 9:42 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Police badges in Louisiana are banded with black ribbons more than usual this year, a grim reminder that officer deaths are on the rise with two killings just this week alone.
- Crean questions leadership after latest legal problem Updated: Aug-27-15 9:41 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana coach Tom Crean questioned his team's leadership and challenged his players to make better decisions on and off the court Thursday.
- ACLU sues to block sweeping Nevada education funding program Updated: Aug-27-15 8:56 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - A Nevada education funding program that's considered the nation's broadest school choice initiative attracted its first legal challenge Thursday, with three civil liberties groups saying it violates the state constitution by releasing public funds to religious schools.
- Oklahoma high court says Ten Commandments must be removed Updated: Aug-27-15 8:52 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Supreme Court Thursday ordered a County judge to implement a ruling that said a Ten Commandments monument on the state Capitol grounds is unconstitutional and must be removed.
- Advocacy group's CEO sees new issues with Kansas welfare law Updated: Aug-27-15 8:50 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Parts of Kansas' new welfare law appear to conflict with federal rules for state child care programs, potentially jeopardizing more than $40 million a year in federal funds, an advocacy group's leader said Thursday.
- Key committee fails to take up California minimum wage bill Updated: Aug-27-15 8:40 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Lawmakers declined Thursday to take up a bill that would raise California's minimum wage and tie future increases to inflation, likely stalling the effort for this year.
- Programs run into pitfalls with fining college players Updated: Aug-27-15 8:33 pm
Take away game tickets for missing class. Hold back a bowl gift for being late. Maybe even dock a player his $15 per diem for skipping study hall.
- On-air shooter threatened to make 'headlines,' showed anger Updated: Aug-27-15 8:29 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - On the day he was fired from a Virginia TV station, Vester Flanagan pressed a wooden cross into his boss' hand as two police officers walked him to the door. "You'll need this," he said.
- Group keeps policy on transgender high school athletes Updated: Aug-27-15 8:23 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - South Dakota's high school activities association on Thursday largely maintained its policy allowing transgender student athletes to request to play on the team of their choice, increasing the likelihood Republicans in the statehouse will push legislation to change it.
- Judge strikes down law to limit Medicaid funds for abortions Updated: Aug-27-15 8:04 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - A state court judge in Alaska ruled Thursday that a law further defining what constitutes a medically necessary abortion for purposes of Medicaid funding is unconstitutional.
- Domestic violence victim protests use of city's nuisance law Updated: Aug-27-15 7:58 pm
PHOENIX - A domestic violence victim has alleged in a lawsuit that a police officer from a Phoenix suburb pressured her landlord to evict her for repeatedly calling 911 for protection from her abusive former boyfriend.
- Student charged in university threats, will be evaluated Updated: Aug-27-15 7:50 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A student who Mississippi State University officials say threatened to kill himself and others will face misdemeanor disorderly conduct charges and has been referred for a mental and psychological evaluation.
- Foundation supports Wyoming magistrate on gay marriage stand Updated: Aug-27-15 7:47 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - A conservative law firm that has worked to oppose gay marriage initiatives nationwide is representing a Wyoming magistrate under investigation for saying she would refuse to perform same-sex marriages.
- Events mark Emmett Till slaying 60 years later Updated: Aug-27-15 7:46 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Sixty years after a black Chicago teenager was killed for whistling at a white woman in Mississippi, relatives and civil rights activists are holding church services and movie screenings to remember Emmett Till.
- AP sues over access to FBI records involving fake news story Updated: Aug-27-15 7:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The Associated Press sued the U.S. Department of Justice Thursday over the FBI's failure to provide public records related to the creation of a fake news story used to plant surveillance software on a suspect's computer.
- Texas judge clears way for removal of Jefferson Davis statue Updated: Aug-27-15 7:43 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - A judge on Thursday cleared the way for the University of Texas to move a statue of Confederate President Jefferson Davis away from the main area of campus, despite objections from a Southern heritage group that called uprooting the monument a "cultural atrocity" and compared it to the Islamic State destroying ancient artifacts in the Middle East.
- Former teacher pleads not guilty in sex act with student Updated: Aug-27-15 7:41 pm
MOBILE, Alabama - Court records say a former teacher accused of having a sexual relationship with a student has pleaded not guilty.
- Nervous Fetty Wap greeted with cheers at hometown concert Updated: Aug-27-15 7:31 pm
PATERSON, New Jersey - Popular rap artist Fetty Wap was greeted with wild cheers Thursday as he put on a concert for a crowd of high school students in his New Jersey hometown of Paterson.
- American Family doubles spending at UW-Madison Updated: Aug-27-15 7:22 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - American Family Insurance is doubling its spending on advertising and donations at the University of Wisconsin, Madison.
- UN calls for panel to identify Syria chemical weapons users Updated: Aug-27-15 7:14 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. chief proposed Thursday that a new international body to assign blame for chemical attacks in Syria's deadly conflict for the first time have the freedom to go anywhere and the support of all parties on the ground.
- Woman alleges sexual harassment at American Crystal Sugar Updated: Aug-27-15 7:07 pm
EAST GRAND FORKS, Minnesota - A North Dakota woman has sued American Crystal Sugar, alleging she endured years of sexual discrimination and harassment when she worked at the company's East Grand Forks plant.
- AP EXCLUSIVE: Chairman promises review of unspent charity Updated: Aug-27-15 7:07 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Nearly $10 million in charitable donations by California taxpayers sat unspent in government accounts at the end of last year, The Associated Press has found, and the Senate Governance and Finance Committee chairman said Thursday that he wants a review of state accounts and will hold a hearing to find out why the money hasn't been spent.
- University of Kansas, Hall reach agreement over documents Updated: Aug-27-15 6:56 pm
LAWRENCE, Kansas - The University of Kansas reached a settlement agreement over the release of emails and other documents with a student group looking for ties between an economic research center and brothers Charles and David Koch, the university announced Thursday.
- Teacher describes handling gun-wielding teen hostage taker Updated: Aug-27-15 6:43 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Thirty-year veteran teacher Twila Smith had scarcely started a new school year when a 14-year-old freshman entered her world studies class and drew a gun Tuesday.