- Senate Finance unveils education bill rewrite Updated: Apr-18-14 10:08 pm
- Boeing to give California workers $47M in back pay Updated: Apr-18-14 10:01 pm
- Colts' Wayne focused on proving doubters wrong Updated: Apr-18-14 9:42 pm
- More Latino than white students admitted to UC Updated: Apr-18-14 9:07 pm
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested Updated: Apr-18-14 8:46 pm
- Gee's move to WVU could save Ohio State millions Updated: Apr-18-14 8:29 pm
- Atheist national conference aims at Mormon church Updated: Apr-18-14 8:28 pm
- Superintendent to return to work following order Updated: Apr-18-14 8:19 pm
- Students use engineering for potato gun experiment Updated: Apr-18-14 8:05 pm
- 2 Pa. school stabbing victims' conditions improve Updated: Apr-18-14 8:04 pm
- Revenge pornography penalties considered in Colorado Updated: Apr-18-14 8:01 pm
- Judge rejects witness in Kodiak Coast Guard trial Updated: Apr-18-14 7:43 pm
- Federal appeals court upholds Walker's union law Updated: Apr-18-14 7:34 pm
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom Updated: Apr-18-14 7:31 pm
- Democrats: Illinois schools could face major cuts Updated: Apr-18-14 7:08 pm
- University: Illinois pension law had costly typo Updated: Apr-18-14 7:04 pm
- Court: NYC must support ill inmates leaving jail Updated: Apr-18-14 6:53 pm
- Restitution ordered over dead, dying reptiles Updated: Apr-18-14 6:53 pm
- Illinois approved for No Child Left Behind waiver Updated: Apr-18-14 6:43 pm
- Kansas speech by Michelle Obama draws complaints Updated: Apr-18-14 6:28 pm
- Judge says American can't end retiree benefits yet Updated: Apr-18-14 6:25 pm
- Former priest charged with stealing from church Updated: Apr-18-14 6:15 pm
- Bryant U. cracks down on selfies at graduation Updated: Apr-18-14 6:10 pm
- Bryant U. cracks down on selfies at graduation Updated: Apr-18-14 6:05 pm
- Warren police say student brought gun to school Updated: Apr-18-14 6:02 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - The Senate Finance Committee proposed an overhaul to a broad-ranging education bill Friday, choosing to provide additional money to districts outside the per-pupil funding formula. Critics called the approach disappointing.
PALMDALE, California - Boeing Co. will pay $47 million to hundreds of current and former Southern California employees who are owed back pay and benefits, a union announced Friday.
INDIANAPOLIS - Reggie Wayne spent the offseason working out.
SAN FRANCISCO - More Latino than white students in California have been offered admission to the state's premier public universities for the first time, officials said Friday, a milestone that reflects the diverse racial makeup of a state where Latino children represent a majority of students in public schools.
MOKPO, South Korea - The captain of a sunken South Korean ferry was arrested Saturday on suspicion of negligence and abandoning people in need, as investigators looked into whether his evacuation order came too late to save lives. Two crew members were also arrested, a prosecutor said.
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio State University expects to save millions of dollars because former president Gordon Gee is giving up part of his retirement package as he becomes president of West Virginia University for the second time.
SALT LAKE CITY - Leaders of a national atheist group say the best spot to find a nonbeliever is in a place of faith.
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Cindy Hill says she intends to be back on the job Monday morning running the Wyoming Department of Education following a judge's ruling that puts to rest her bitter legal battle to regain the office.
ST. GEORGE, Utah - Students from a southern Utah technology college put their engineering skills to the test this week at a former airport runway, but it wasn't an airplane they were giving flight.
MURRYSVILLE, Pennsylvania - Two students critically injured in a stabbing and slashing rampage at a high school have been upgraded to fair condition, the hospitals where they are recovering said Friday.
DENVER - Using intimate photos or videos of significant others to humiliate them would be a crime under a bill being considered by lawmakers in Colorado, which is joining a growing number of states tackling the issue referred to as revenge porn.
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - An inmate known as "Eyeball" will not be taking the stand for the defense in a Kodiak Coast Guard double homicide case - at least for now - after a judge ruled Friday there's no proven connection between him and the case.
MADISON, Wisconsin - A federal appeals court on Friday upheld Gov. Scott Walker's public union restrictions, dealing another loss to unions trying to overturn the Republican governor's signature legislation that led to massive protests at the Wisconsin Capitol three years ago.
YORK, Pennsylvania - A Pennsylvania high school student is in hot water for asking Miss America to prom during a question and answer session at school.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Most of Illinois' 860 school districts would see cuts in funding if the state's temporary tax increase is rolled back as scheduled, according to a document being circulated as part of Illinois Democrats' campaign to preserve the tax hike and push to update the state's school funding formula.
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - Illinois' public universities have worried for months that contentious state pension reforms will push many employees to retire early. But a small mistake, essentially a typo in the legislation, is providing even stronger incentive.
NEW YORK - A judge on Friday upheld - and extended through 2016 - a settlement between New York City and lawyers for mentally ill inmates that required prisoners who received mental health treatment in city jails to have individualized discharge plans upon release.
RIVERSIDE, California - A Southern California exotic pet breeder who had 20,000 dead and dying rats and reptiles in a warehouse has avoided jail time but was ordered to pay more than $190,000 in restitution.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois has obtained a waiver from some parts of federal No Child Left Behind education law.
TOPEKA, Kansas - If expanding the guest list to include Michelle Obama at graduation for high school students in the Kansas capital city means fewer seats for friends and family, some students and their parents would prefer the first lady not attend.
DALLAS - A federal judge has rejected an attempt by American Airlines to quickly cut off benefits for many of its retirees.
HAVRE, Montana - A former Havre priest has denied federal charges that allege he took nearly $65,000 from St. Jude Thaddeus Church.
BOSTON - Rhode Island's Bryant University is asking students to resist the urge to take selfies with its president while receiving their diplomas.
BOSTON - Rhode Island's Bryant University is asking graduates to resist the urge to take selfies with its president when receiving their diplomas to prevent the already long ceremony from dragging on.
WARREN, Michigan - Warren police say an unloaded .22-caliber pistol and six bullets were found in the backpack of a 15-year-old student at his high school.