- Union presses measure to prevent strike, lockout Updated: May-28-15 10:52 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Union-friendly Illinois Democrats say Gov. Bruce Rauner has so poisoned contract negotiations with state workers that they pushed legislation Thursday that would prohibit either a strike or the Republican governor locking workers out.
- National Spelling Bee ends in tie for 2nd year in a row Updated: May-28-15 10:50 pm
OXON HILL, Maryland - They couldn't be rattled. They couldn't be denied. Gokul Venkatachalam and Vanya Shivashankar had worked too hard and come close too many times not to win the Scripps National Spelling Bee on Thursday.
- Baltimore gets bloodier as arrests drop post-Freddie Gray Updated: May-28-15 10:43 pm
BALTIMORE - A 31-year-old woman and a young boy were shot in the head Thursday, becoming Baltimore's 37th and 38th homicide victims so far this month, the city's deadliest in 15 years.
- Thai official warns of 'alarming level' of boat people Updated: May-28-15 10:37 pm
BANGKOK - A senior Thai official says the influx of boat people migrants in Southeast Asia has reached an "alarming level" and is calling for governments to address the root causes of the crisis.
- Lawmaker wants testing for parents of drug-exposed babies Updated: May-28-15 10:11 pm
PHOENIX - An Arizona lawmaker on Thursday called for changes in state law to allow ongoing testing of parents whose babies are born exposed to drugs after a child who was returned to her parents died of apparent abuse.
- McCrory vetoes NC religious objection bill on gay marriage Updated: May-28-15 10:01 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory vetoed Thursday a religious exemption bill that would allow some court officials to avoid gay marriage duties.
- NC gov. vetoes bill on religious objection to gay marriage Updated: May-28-15 9:47 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory has vetoed a religious exemption bill that would allow some court officials to avoid gay marriage duties.
- Gov. Inslee orders state budget negotiations in his office Updated: May-28-15 9:38 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Gov. Jay Inslee has ordered state lawmakers to reconvene for a second special session and told lawmakers to come to his office Friday morning to continue their negotiations over the state's more than $38 billion two-year operating budget.
- Alabama, feds reach agreement over alleged prison abuse Updated: May-28-15 9:18 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - An Alabama women's prison will be overhauled after the U.S. Justice Department said officers there coerced inmates into sex, watched them in showers and bathrooms and organized a New Year's Eve strip show.
- Japan CPI weak at 0.6 percent, as jobless rate at 18-yr low Updated: May-28-15 9:16 pm
TOKYO - Japan's jobless rate dropped to an 18-year low in April, but industrial production, inflation and household spending were muted as consumers kept purse strings tight.
- Chisox split with Orioles in doubleheader caused by riots Updated: May-28-15 9:00 pm
BALTIMORE - The Chicago White Sox were a weary bunch after playing 18 innings during a one-day stop in Baltimore.
- Orioles, White Sox split doubleheader caused by riots Updated: May-28-15 8:54 pm
- Texas lawmakers reach agreement on open carry bill Updated: May-28-15 8:49 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas lawmakers on Thursday negotiated a final version of a bill allowing licensed open carry of handguns, easing concerns of police and priming it for a vote that would send it to Gov. Greg Abbott.
- Budget deal remains out of reach as potential layoffs loom Updated: May-28-15 8:41 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Gov. Mark Dayton and House Republicans chipped away Thursday at a deal to wrap up the state's budget and avoid a partial government shutdown.
- Prosecutors want Zimmerman shooter monitored Updated: May-28-15 8:37 pm
SANFORD, Florida - Prosecutors in Florida want a man charged with shooting at George Zimmerman to wear a monitoring device while he is out on bond.
- Bill allowing Sunday hunting with guns approved by NC Senate Updated: May-28-15 8:32 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Legislation that would end North Carolina's long-standing ban on hunting with guns on Sundays is possibly one vote away from going to Gov. Pat McCrory's desk.
- California bills reinstating penalties for some crimes fail Updated: May-28-15 8:22 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A key legislative panel on Thursday shelved several attempts to scale back a ballot measure that California voters approved to reduce penalties for some crimes, including stalling a bill that would have made stealing firearms a felony once again.
- Students build home from ground up for wounded veteran Updated: May-28-15 8:05 pm
LOS ANGELES - Jerral Hancock is about to replace the worst day of his life with the best one.
- Teen girl charged with making 'Columbine' threat to school Updated: May-28-15 8:01 pm
BOLTON, Massachusetts - A 15-year-old Massachusetts girl has been charged with making a threat to her school on social media that referenced the Columbine High School massacre.
- Chile customs workers end strike that disrupted exports Updated: May-28-15 8:01 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Chilean customs workers are returning to work after reaching a deal to end a nationwide strike that halted shipments causing losses for the fruit and salmon industries.
- No light shed on investigation into pocketing by officers Updated: May-28-15 8:00 pm
PHOENIX - A trove of records released Thursday by Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's office provides a window into disciplinary problems among sheriff's employees, but sheds no light on investigations into claims that officers pocketed items confiscated in traffic stops and safe-house busts.
- Christie backing away from Common Core in New Jersey Updated: May-28-15 7:50 pm
PEMBERTON, New Jersey - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie announced Thursday that he is ordering his state to back away from the Common Core school standards that he once championed but that are hugely unpopular among conservative voters across the country.
- $5,000 offered for info in string of sea lion shootings Updated: May-28-15 7:35 pm
ASTORIA, Oregon - Federal wildlife officials are investigating a string of sea lion shootings on the Oregon coast.
- Indiana lawmakers won't study LGBT protections this summer Updated: May-28-15 7:19 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana lawmakers won't spend the summer discussing whether to grant statewide civil rights protections to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender residents despite lingering fallout over a new religious objections law.
- Virginia panel issues proposals to fight campus sex assaults Updated: May-28-15 7:10 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia leaders hope to put their state in the lead on combatting college campus sexual violence with the release of 21 recommendations to address it.