- ND delegation backs new defense policy bill Updated: Dec-20-13 7:22 am
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 US films to be preserved Updated: Dec-18-13 10:45 am
- Part of NY Greenwich Village gets landmark status Updated: Dec-17-13 11:11 pm
- 2013 Community Heritage Grant awards announced Updated: Dec-15-13 12:06 pm
- Ex-Colgate plant nominated for National Register Updated: Dec-14-13 3:52 pm
- Effort underway to save Scottsboro bridge Updated: Dec-13-13 5:58 pm
- Excerpts from recent Minnesota editorials Updated: Dec-11-13 3:34 pm
- Monticello cuts admission to mark UNESCO selection Updated: Dec-11-13 8:23 am
- EXCHANGE: More to Shelbyville than namesake lake Updated: Dec-10-13 12:47 pm
- Easement to protect historic property in Albemarle Updated: Dec-10-13 9:44 am
- Charles City features unique architecture Updated: Dec-08-13 2:08 pm
- Japanese cuisine added to world heritage list Updated: Dec-04-13 10:58 pm
- Japan food seeks heritage gong as young spurn rice Updated: Dec-03-13 3:49 am
- Icelandic church in ND added to National Register Updated: Dec-02-13 9:50 am
- Baker auditorium proposed for National Register Updated: Dec-02-13 7:29 am
- Va. city suburb added to National Register Updated: Nov-30-13 6:14 am
- Blaze heavily damages historic Detroit apartments Updated: Nov-24-13 2:31 pm
- Leader in preserving Blackfoot culture dies Updated: Nov-23-13 3:49 pm
- Part of historic OH building mistakenly demolished Updated: Nov-21-13 5:53 am
- 10 Kansas sites nominated for national list Updated: Nov-21-13 5:05 am
WASHINGTON - North Dakota lawmakers are expressing support for a comprehensive defense bill passed by Congress that provides military funding and takes aim at sexual assaults in the military. They say it will also help protect North Dakota's missile silos.
WASHINGTON - Just in time for a new movie about the making of "Mary Poppins," the 1964 Disney classic starring Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke has been selected for preservation at the Library of Congress so future generations of Americans can see it.
NEW YORK - The city's newest historic landmark is part of a neighborhood where generations of American cultural greats staged their art, music, literature and politics - from Edgar Allan Poe and Bob Dylan to Miles Davis and Allen Ginsberg.
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi Department of Archives and History has awarded $3 million to 26 preservation and restoration projects across the state.
CLARKSVILLE, Indiana - A former Colgate toothpaste factory in southern Indiana is being nominated for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places.
SCOTTSBORO, Alabama - A group trying to save the B.B. Comer Bridge in Scottsboro from being demolished say it's been named to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage.
Duluth News Tribune, Dec. 10
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - Monticello is celebrating the 26th anniversary of its selection as a UNESCO World Heritage Site by rolling back the price of admission.
SHELBYVILLE, Illinois - Beyond the shores of the lake that sports this town's name is a community rich in history, with neighbors helping neighbors and a personality all its own.
CHARLOTTSVILLE, Virginia - The Piedmont Environmental Council says more than 500 acres of a historic property in Albemarle County will be protected from development.
CHARLES CITY, Iowa - Charles City has many architectural treasures still intact today despite a town history that includes major floods, fires and a devastating tornado.
TOKYO - The United Nations cultural organization has added traditional Japanese food to its cultural heritage list, making it only the second national cuisine to receive the prized designation.
TOKYO - Washoku, the traditional cuisine of Japan, is being considered for designation as part of the world's priceless cultural heritage by the U.N. this week. But even as sushi and sake booms worldwide, purists say its finer points are candidates for the endangered list at home. The younger generation is increasingly eating Krispy Kreme doughnuts and McDonald's, not rice.
BISMARCK, North Dakota - A North Dakota church that the State Historical Society says is the oldest Icelandic church in the country has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
BAKER, Louisiana - Baker school system officials are one step away from having the Baker High School auditorium placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
COLONIAL HEIGHTS, Virginia - One of the largest and earliest planned suburbs in Colonial Heights has been added to the National Register of Historic Places.
DETROIT - A fire has heavily damaged a sprawling 91-year-old Detroit apartment complex that's listed on the National Register of Historic Places but has been vacant for many years.
GREAT FALLS, Montana - Darrell Robes Kipp, educator, author, historian, filmmaker and one of the co-founders of the Piegan Institute in Browning, died Thursday evening at Blackfeet Community Hospital, according to his son, Darren Kipp. He was 69.
DAYTON, Ohio - The city of Dayton is trying to sort out a situation that saw part of an historic downtown building mistakenly demolished.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Ten sites have been nominated by a board of the Kansas Historical Society to be added to the National Register of Historic Places.