- Ohio family takes big leap for dream of living in tiny home Updated: May-25-15 5:04 pm
TOLEDO, Ohio - In a few weeks, Jamie and Kelly Rye hope to start building their new dream home which requires them to downsize in a big way.
- Ethics panel fading to obscurity 10 years after Tenn. Waltz Updated: May-25-15 12:07 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - In the typical fray of the legislative session, few paid close attention to a seemingly innocuous bill about recycling computer equipment. That was until federal agents started arresting lawmakers.
- Miami, Orlando schools ditch Styrofoam trays Updated: May-25-15 3:05 am
MIAMI - The school districts in Miami and Orlando are removing Styrofoam trays from school lunchrooms and replacing them with compostable plates made of recycled newsprint.
- Stringing an emerald necklace of islands Updated: May-25-15 12:14 am
SARASOTA, Florida - It's a five-minute paddle from the North Siesta Key Bridge to Edwards Island.
- China readies national carbon market to fight climate change Updated: May-24-15 1:41 am
BEIJING - At first, the numbers and company names flashing on a big board in Beijing's financial district suggest a booming market.
- Restaurant owners recycle oyster shells for reef habitat Updated: May-23-15 11:13 am
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - Two southern Ocean County seafood restaurants are involved in what some might call a pearl of an idea- to use their recycled oyster shells to restore a reef habitat in Barnegat Bay.
- Coast cleanup yields 16,000 pounds of trash in Rhode Island Updated: May-22-15 3:11 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A nonprofit ocean conservation group says volunteers collected more than 16,000 pounds of trash during an annual cleanup of Rhode Island's coast last fall.
- France cracks down on food waste by supermarkets Updated: May-22-15 7:29 am
PARIS - France's parliament has voted to forbid big supermarkets from destroying unsold food, encouraging them to donate to charities or farms instead, as part of a national campaign against food waste.
- What do you really get for a $7,000 Tesla home battery? Updated: May-20-15 3:23 pm
NEW YORK - Elon Musk, the star CEO of the electric car company Tesla Motors and the rocket company SpaceX, staged an elaborate event last month to unveil a new product. Not a sleek new luxury car. Not a rocket that can ferry people to Mars. A home appliance - a battery - that can be mounted on a garage wall and ignored.
- Target Field gets even greener Updated: May-20-15 11:19 am
MINNEAPOLIS - Target Field is taking another step to minimize fan-generated trash.
- Grants to expand recycling awarded in Kentucky Updated: May-19-15 3:35 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Kentucky officials say grants are being awarded across the state to expand recycling and reduce the amount of solid waste going into landfills.
- 1 dead, 1 injured in fire at Anderson metal recycling plant Updated: May-18-15 3:36 pm
ANDERSON, South Carolina - Authorities say a 49-year-old worker operating equipment at a metal recycling plant in Anderson has died after some of the material caught fire and quickly spread.
- Farmer pleads guilty to falsely claiming organic crops Updated: May-18-15 5:05 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A Portales-area farmer will be on five years' probation after he pleaded guilty to charges stemming from claims that his crops were organic when they were not.
- New Jersey farmers feeling optimistic about peach harvest Updated: May-16-15 12:06 pm
BRIDGETON, New Jersey - The blossoms on the peach trees that cover 500 acres at Sunny Slope in Cumberland County are thick this spring.
- Fire officials: huge Ohio blaze caused by smoking materials Updated: May-15-15 2:25 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Investigators say a massive fire at a recycling facility in Columbus was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.
- Lafayette plans $1.3M overhaul of city's recycling program Updated: May-15-15 7:19 am
LAFAYETTE, Indiana - The city of Lafayette is overhauling its recycling program.
- A roof grows in Brooklyn: Barclay's Center to get grassy lid Updated: May-13-15 4:03 pm
NEW YORK - A roof grows in Brooklyn.
- State's tire recycling program again blasted in audit Updated: May-12-15 12:29 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Another critical audit into the state's Department of Environmental Quality's Waste Tire Management Program has been released.
- St. Louis Park considers plastic bag ban Updated: May-12-15 12:01 pm
ST. LOUIS PARK, Minnesota - A Twin Cities suburb is on the verge of becoming the first city in Minnesota to completely ban plastic bags, as well as joining others that have banned polystyrene food containers.
- Cooperative agriculture delivery services growing Updated: May-12-15 11:28 am
WALNUT, Kansas - Twenty years ago, Darren Swartz dressed in a suit and tie each day as a sales representative for a Kansas City-based pharmaceutical company. He grew hot peppers in pots on his urban patio.
- Rockford Housing Authority finishing eco-friendly upgrades Updated: May-11-15 9:07 am
ROCKFORD, Illinois - The Rockford Housing Authority is making efforts to be more energy efficient.
- Little-known bills: pests, toilets and election reforms Updated: May-10-15 8:10 pm
HONOLULU - The Hawaii Legislature has wrapped up its work for 2015, ending a session that drew attention for talk of medical marijuana dispensaries, rail tax extensions and Maui hospitals. There were hundreds of bills that were heard in committees that had lower profiles.
- Ex-Oklahoma City Dayton Tire factory taken down, recycled Updated: May-10-15 1:37 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A former tire factory in Oklahoma City has been dismantled, cut up and sent to recyclers.
- Springfield industrial fire leads to brief evacuations Updated: May-09-15 12:13 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts - Springfield firefighters have battled a stubborn fire overnight at a metal recycling company.
- California busts $14M scheme to bring recycling from Arizona Updated: May-07-15 7:37 pm
LOS ANGELES - California recycling officials say they've busted a ring of fraudsters who trucked more than 200 million cans and bottles from Arizona to illegally redeem $14 million in refunds.