- Salt Lake County OKs pet sale ban aimed at puppy mills Updated: Oct-07-15 4:31 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Salt Lake County has banned the sale of commercially bred dogs, cats and rabbits in pet stores, joining a growing number of cities around the country in a step designed to reduce the number of pets born in inhumane conditions.
- Dogs, like people, need surgery to repair cleft palates Updated: Oct-07-15 1:59 pm
LOS ANGELES - Dogs, like people, can be born with cleft palates. Some die from pneumonia or malnourishment. Some with the defect, which is basically a hole in the mouth, are euthanized.
- Police: Owner could face charges in Rottweilers' attack Updated: Oct-07-15 10:16 am
PETROLIA, Pennsylvania - State police say a western Pennsylvania woman could be charged because her two Rottweilers attacked a 70-year-old neighbor.
- Romania: lawyer to dictator's son and a killer dog dies, 83 Updated: Oct-07-15 9:25 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Paula Iacob, a Romanian lawyer whose cases ranged from unsuccessfully defending a dictator's son to saving a killer street dog from being put down, has died. She was 83.
- Cops: Dog kicked to death for relieving itself on man's lawn Updated: Oct-07-15 3:43 am
KEENE, New Hampshire - A city council candidate in southwestern New Hampshire is facing animal cruelty charges after police say he kicked his neighbor's 17-year-old dog to death after it tried to relieve itself on his lawn.
- Mexico City investigates reports of dog poisoning at park Updated: Oct-06-15 6:31 pm
MEXICO CITY - A popular dog run in a picturesque Mexico City park remained closed Tuesday following reported cases of dog poisoning.
- For some, Minnesota pheasant season prep starts at preserve Updated: Oct-06-15 5:34 pm
AVON, Minnesota - The 8-month-old English pointer followed the pheasant scent, sometimes ranging in circles, sometimes diving into cover so thick only the tip of its white tail showed through the prairie plants.
- Dog rescued after fall into crack at Volcanoes National Park Updated: Oct-06-15 4:33 pm
HONOLULU - A Big Island family was reunited with their dog after a rescue team removed the Labrador retriever trapped in a crack in the earth at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
- Wildlife officers set trap after bear kills dog, attacks man Updated: Oct-06-15 8:54 am
ORANGE CITY, Florida - Wildlife officials are trying to trap a bear that attacked a man and killed his dog.
- Teen accused of poisoning dog he feared would kill his birds Updated: Oct-06-15 7:44 am
OCALA, Florida - A north Florida teen told authorities he poisoned his neighbor's Jack Russell terrier because he feared it would get into his backyard and attack his guinea fowl.
- Man recovering after attack by his own dog Updated: Oct-06-15 7:06 am
ROCHESTER, Minnesota - A Rochester man is recovering from surgery after he was attacked by his own dog.
- Changes to justices' opinions will be highlighted Updated: Oct-06-15 3:44 am
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court is taking a step to address criticism that its inner workings are opaque.
- 2 pit bulls shot by Corona police after escape, rampage Updated: Oct-05-15 4:09 pm
CORONA, California - Police in Southern California say they shot and killed two pit bulls after they escaped their yard and terrorized neighbors for more than 24 hours.
- Woman charged, posted pictures of dog's duct-taped mouth Updated: Oct-05-15 12:14 pm
SALISBURY, North Carolina - A Salisbury woman has been charged after authorities say she posted pictures on Facebook showing her dog's mouth sealed with duct tape.
- Animal welfare groups seek assistance for breeder inspection Updated: Oct-03-15 1:07 pm
DOWS, Iowa - Two Iowa animal welfare groups are asking the state and local law enforcement for help in inspecting a Dow dog breeder's operation.
- California dogs displaced by wildfires fly to Boise Updated: Oct-02-15 11:41 pm
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Humane Society says it has welcomed a number of dogs from California shelters displaced by wildfires.
- 2 Indiana women mauled by pack of dogs, 1 critically injured Updated: Oct-02-15 5:36 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Two young women mauled by a pack of dogs as they were taking an evening walk may not have survived if a motorist who noticed their ordeal had not driven into a remote field to rescue them, a northern Indiana sheriff said Friday.
- Dozens of seized animals adopted out by Spearfish shelter Updated: Oct-02-15 10:18 am
SPEARFISH, South Dakota - When local police seized 42 dogs and cats destined for a Wisconsin puppy mill on April 25, the Western Hills Humane Society wasn't sure where they'd put all the animals. But, thanks to a little help from their friends, nearly all of the critters have been adopted.
- Man steals English bulldog puppy from woman at gunpoint Updated: Oct-02-15 5:13 am
SALEM, Oregon - A Salem woman says a man stole one of her 8 ½-week-old English bulldog puppies at gunpoint from inside her home.
- Nevada man who tortured, killed dogs gets up to 28 years Updated: Oct-01-15 8:03 pm
RENO, Nevada - A 25-year-old former presidential scholar and psychology major convicted of torturing, killing and dismembering seven dogs was sentenced to up to 28 years in Nevada state prison Thursday in what the judge, prosecutor and defense lawyer all agreed may be the most horrific crime they have ever seen in their decades of legal practice.
- Cottage Grove making plans for its debut dog park Updated: Oct-01-15 12:04 pm
COTTAGE GROVE, Oregon - At the Lulu's Car Wash he owns on Main Street, Stephen Nisewander noticed that customers would often walk their leashed dogs in the field behind the business while their cars were being washed.
- Giant pup forces driver into fiery crash, but injuries minor Updated: Sep-30-15 9:12 pm
SANTA ANA, California - Police say a fiery rollover crash in Southern California was caused by a 100-pound bull mastiff puppy leaping around inside the car.
- Judge: Probable cause to seize dogs from Penrose home Updated: Sep-30-15 8:41 pm
CANON CITY, Colorado - A judge has ruled there was probable cause to seize more than three dozen neglected dogs from a Penrose home.
- Oregon wildlife officials won't allow killing of wolves Updated: Sep-30-15 5:44 pm
PENDLETON, Oregon - Wildlife officials won't allow people to kill wolves in eastern Oregon's Mount Emily pack despite five confirmed attacks on a sheep herd this summer.
- Council Bluffs officials to consider lifting pit bull ban Updated: Sep-30-15 3:57 pm
COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa - A woman who was forced to find a new home for her dog is leading an effort to end Council Bluff's 10-year-old ban on pit bulls.