- SE Asia creates Economic Community, but challenges remain Updated: Nov-21-15 11:39 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Thirteen years after the idea was mooted, Southeast Asian leaders on Sunday formally created a unified economic community in a region more populous and diverse than the European Union or North America, and with hopes of competing with China and India.
- Bangladesh executes 2 opposition leaders despite concerns Updated: Nov-21-15 11:30 pm
NEW DELHI - Bangladesh executed two influential opposition leaders on charges of war crimes during the country's 1971 independence war, a senior jail official said Sunday, despite concerns that the legal proceedings against them were flawed and threats of violence by their supporters.
- The Latest: Malaysian leader hosts East Asia Summit Updated: Nov-21-15 11:28 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Ten Southeast Asian heads of state and nine world leaders, including President Barack Obama, are meeting in Malaysia to discuss trade and economic issues. Terrorism and disputes over the South China Sea are also on the agenda. (All times local.)
- US religious leaders make forceful appeal to admit refugees Updated: Nov-21-15 7:41 pm
In rare agreement across faith and ideological lines, leaders of major American religious groups have condemned proposed bans on Syrian refugees, contending a legitimate debate over security has been overtaken by irrational fear and prejudice.
- Panathinaikos-Olympiakos match aborted after violence Updated: Nov-21-15 6:16 pm
ATHENS, Greece - The Greek league match between host Panathinaikos and archrival Olympiakos was postponed after home fans clashed with police before the game and threw flares at Olympiakos players as they walked out onto the pitch.
- The Latest: 10,000 participate in Toulouse peace march Updated: Nov-21-15 4:01 pm
BRUSSELS - The latest on the deadly attacks in Paris. (All times local):
- Brussels hunkers down amid warning of Paris-style threat Updated: Nov-21-15 3:45 pm
BRUSSELS - Belgian authorities closed down Brussels' subway system and flooded the streets with armed police and soldiers Saturday in response to what they said was a threat of Paris-style attacks.
- American killed in Mali worked to improve global health Updated: Nov-21-15 2:48 pm
WASHINGTON - As a Peace Corps volunteer, expert in global health and the mother of a 7-year-old boy, Anita Ashok Datar devoted her life to caring for and helping others, her family said.
- Ex-Navy admiral McRaven says US must act against extremists Updated: Nov-21-15 2:46 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The former Navy admiral credited with coordinating the operation that led to the death of Osama bin Laden says the U.S. and its allies should prioritize fighting Islamic extremists, or else the American people "should not be surprised when the barbarians are at our gate."
- Former South Korean President Kim Young-sam dies at age 87 Updated: Nov-21-15 2:27 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - Former President Kim Young-sam, who formally ended decades of military rule in South Korea and accepted a massive international bailout during the 1997-1998 Asian financial crisis, died Sunday. He was 87.
- Israeli police say 4 wounded in stabbing attack Updated: Nov-21-15 1:36 pm
JERUSALEM - An assailant stabbed and wounded four Israelis, including a 13-year-old girl, in southern Israel on Saturday before fleeing the scene, setting off a large manhunt, police said.
- Iran's Guard simulates capture of Al-Aqsa Mosque Updated: Nov-21-15 12:59 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Paramilitary forces from Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guard have held a war game simulating the capture of Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa Mosque from Israeli control, state media reported Saturday.
- Official: Suicide bomb kills 9 in north Cameroon town Updated: Nov-21-15 12:48 pm
YAOUNDE, Cameroon - A local official in northern Cameroon says at least nine people were killed and dozens injured when suspected Boko Haram militants carried out a suicide attack on a town bordering Nigeria.
- Well planned Mali attack took advantage of security lapses Updated: Nov-21-15 12:46 pm
BAMAKO, Mali - The heavily armed Islamic extremists who shot up a luxury hotel in Mali's capital, killing 19 people, timed their assault for the moment when guards would be the most lax, allowing them to easily blast their way past a five-man security team before turning their weapons on terrified guests, a security guard and witnesses said Saturday.
- In Africa, Pope Francis to find a church growing in numbers Updated: Nov-21-15 12:43 pm
JOHANNESBURG - Pope Paul VI became the first modern pope to visit Africa in 1969 and declared the continent a "new homeland" for Jesus Christ. During the quarter century of his papacy, St. John Paul II traveled to 42 African countries and earned the nickname "the African." Pope Benedict XVI said Africa was a continent of hope. Next week, Pope Francis joins his predecessors and visits a region whose growing numbers of Catholics are seen as a bulwark for a church seeking to broaden its appeal in the face of challenges from secularism, competing Christian faiths and violent extremism.
- Syrian journalist killed while covering army operation Updated: Nov-21-15 11:39 am
DAMASCUS, Syria - A Syrian journalist was killed Saturday while covering the army's operations against Islamic State militants in the country's central region, Syria's official news agency said, the latest of dozens of journalists killed while covering the brutal conflict.
- Paris attacks rooted in Brussels bring question: Why Belgium Updated: Nov-21-15 11:06 am
BRUSSELS - The family homes of the suspected mastermind of the Paris attacks and one of the suicide bombers stand only a few blocks apart in the Belgian capital's Molenbeek neighborhood. After a string of attacks in recent years linked to its grimy streets in central Brussels, a key question arises: Why Belgium?
- Who were the Paris attackers? Many crossed officials' radar Updated: Nov-21-15 10:46 am
PARIS - French police and prosecutors, friends and families, and journalists have unveiled details about the men accused of carrying out the attacks in Paris. Altogether, authorities say that three teams participated in the bloody assault. At least one suspected participant remains at large.
- Editorials from around New England Updated: Nov-21-15 10:38 am
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New England newspapers:
- After 2 decades of peace, Bosnians want more Updated: Nov-21-15 10:21 am
SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina - The peace agreement that ended Bosnia's war two decades ago is still admired as an example of post-conflict peace building, but Bosnians say it became a straitjacket that prevents them from building a functional state.
- IS claims Baghdad mosque attack that killed 10 Updated: Nov-21-15 9:41 am
BAGHDAD - The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for an attack on a Shiite mosque south of Baghdad following Friday prayers that Iraqi officials say killed 10 people.
- Turkish jets hit PKK targets in northern Iraq Updated: Nov-21-15 7:59 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey's military says fighter jets have bombed suspected Kurdish rebel targets in a new cross-border offensive in northern Iraq.
- Pentagon pressing allies for more help against Islamic State Updated: Nov-21-15 5:02 am
WASHINGTON - The Pentagon is pressing European and Arab allies to provide more troops and support for the war against the Islamic State group, hoping that the horror of the Paris attacks - and the fear more are coming - will compel them to get more deeply involved.
- Survivors of Afghan hospital attack tell of terror Updated: Nov-21-15 1:49 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - It was like the end of the world, Anayatullah Nazari said. "It was like they were determined to kill us all and that nobody would survive. It was like doomsday, nothing I could ever imagine."
- UN approves resolution urging action against Islamic State Updated: Nov-20-15 11:05 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council unanimously approved a French-sponsored resolution Friday calling on all nations to redouble and coordinate action to prevent further attacks by Islamic State terrorists and other extremist groups.