- Kenya says Islamic extremists kill 14 in Kenya's north Updated: Jul-07-15 1:49 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - A Kenyan official says at least 14 people have been killed in an attack by al-Qaida-linked al-Shabab militants in the country's north.
- Serbia presses Russia to veto Srebrenica massacre resolution Updated: Jul-07-15 12:13 am
UNITED NATIONS - Serbia is pressing Russia to use its veto Tuesday against a British-drafted resolution marking the 20th anniversary of the 1995 massacre of some 8,000 Muslim men and boys at Srebrenica during the Bosnian war which condemns the killings as a crime of genocide.
- Venezuela recalls ambassador in Guyana amid border dispute Updated: Jul-06-15 10:22 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - President Nicolas Maduro announced Monday that he was recalling Venezuela's ambassador in neighboring Guyana for consultation amid mounting tensions over their disputed border.
- Cameron: Terror threat remains, 10 years after 7/7 bombings Updated: Jul-06-15 7:19 pm
LONDON - Britons marked the 10th anniversary of suicide bomb attacks on London's transit system Tuesday, as Prime Minister David Cameron said the recent slaying of 30 British tourists in Tunisia was a reminder that terror threats remain real and deadly.
- $333K in settlements for 6 pepper-sprayed Occupy protesters Updated: Jul-06-15 6:37 pm
NEW YORK - The city has agreed to pay a total of $332,500 to six Occupy Wall Street protesters who said police unjustly blasted them with pepper spray in an episode that helped propel the movement into the spotlight.
- Touting progress, Obama says Islamic State is losing ground Updated: Jul-06-15 6:29 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama portrayed the U.S.-led coalition Monday as gaining ground against the Islamic State amid an expanded U.S. effort and ample signs of progress, but conceded more difficulties ahead in fighting what he described as a nimble and opportunistic enemy.
- Day of extremist violence across Nigeria kills more than 60 Updated: Jul-06-15 6:19 pm
JOS, Nigeria - A day of extremist violence against both Muslims and Christians in Nigeria killed more than 60 people, including worshippers in a mosque who came to hear a cleric known for preaching about peaceful coexistence of all faiths.
- Egypt anti-terror bill speeds trials, tightens hand on media Updated: Jul-06-15 5:01 pm
CAIRO - After a series of stunning militant attacks, Egypt's government is pushing through a controversial new anti-terrorism draft bill that would set up special terrorism courts, shorten the appeals process, give police greater powers of arrest and imprison journalists who report information on attacks that differs from the official government line.
- Mali extremist traded for French hostage killed in attack Updated: Jul-06-15 4:16 pm
BAMAKO, Mali - French special forces have killed an Islamic extremist in northern Mali who had been released last year in exchange for the freedom of a French hostage, a Malian official said Monday.
- Iraqi fighter jet accidentally bombs Baghdad, 12 killed Updated: Jul-06-15 3:52 pm
BAGHDAD - An Iraqi fighter jet accidentally dropped a bomb on a Baghdad neighborhood Monday, killing at least 12 people on the ground, Iraqi officials said.
- Judge dismisses lawsuit from man convicted of 9/11 role Updated: Jul-06-15 2:14 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A federal judge in Oklahoma City dismissed a lawsuit from a man imprisoned for a role in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
- POW-MIA chief to push for private-group aid to find war dead Updated: Jul-06-15 1:06 pm
WASHINGTON - The head of the Pentagon's new agency in charge of recovering and identifying remains of U.S. war dead said he will push for more partnering with private groups that have resources and interest to help reinvigorate a troubled POW-MIA accounting mission.
- Service held in UK to remember Srebrenica massacre victims Updated: Jul-06-15 11:38 am
LONDON - Days before the 20th anniversary of the Srebrenica massacre, hundreds of Bosnians and Britons attended a memorial service at Westminster Abbey on Monday to remember the more than 8,000 male Muslim victims.
- EU official: Migrant boats also carrying IS fighters Updated: Jul-06-15 11:14 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union's top prosecutor said Monday she has been told that smugglers' boats bringing migrants across the Mediterranean to Europe are also carrying Islamic State group fighters.
- Airstrike hits market north of Yemen's Aden, over 45 killed Updated: Jul-06-15 10:44 am
SANAA, Yemen - A massive airstrike by the Saudi-led coalition targeting rebels hit a local marketplace in Yemen, killing over 45 civilians on Monday, security officials and eyewitnesses said.
- Exhibit opens July 4 about black experience in WW2 Updated: Jul-06-15 10:38 am
NEW ORLEANS - About to be overrun by Germans, a young black lieutenant called in an artillery barrage on his own position, knowing he'd be killed. It was the only way to hold off the enemy.
- German court convicts Turkish man of terrorism charges Updated: Jul-06-15 10:23 am
BERLIN - A Berlin court has convicted a 28-year-old Turkish man of supporting a terrorist organization fighting in Syria and sentenced him to two and a half years in prison.
- Pisa police arrest Moroccan for pro-terror stance on the Web Updated: Jul-06-15 9:32 am
ROME - Italian police have arrested a Moroccan man near Pisa for allegedly using Facebook and other social media to incite Muslims to use terrorism.
- State media: Jordan arrests terror suspect with explosives Updated: Jul-06-15 9:14 am
AMMAN, Jordan - Jordan's state media say the security forces have arrested a man with purported links to an Iranian group on suspicion he planned to carry out terror attacks in the kingdom.
- Hard-hit Gaza neighborhood still trying to recover from war Updated: Jul-06-15 2:37 am
SHIJAIYAH, Gaza Strip - After weeks of sharing cramped quarters with relatives during last year's war between Hamas and Israel, 39-year-old Mohammed al-Selek thought nothing of it when he heard the incoming roar of two mortar shells. But once a suffocating cloud of acrid smoke filled the stairwell, his heart sank - the family's home had been struck by Israeli fire.
- In Trinidad, joint unit of police, soldiers to combat gangs Updated: Jul-05-15 5:08 pm
PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad - Trinidad and Tobago's leader has created a combined national security force to combat gang violence in a crime-troubled community.
- 3 dead, 13 hurt after bomb blast at checkpoint in Kandahar Updated: Jul-05-15 3:47 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - An official says a bomb blast at a police checkpoint in the southern city of Kandahar has killed two civilians, one policeman and wounded 13 others.
- Land mine blast in east Ukraine kills 5 soldiers, wounds 3 Updated: Jul-05-15 8:20 am
MOSCOW - Ukraine says five of its soldiers were killed and three wounded when a land mine exploded in the east of the country, where government troops are fighting Russia-backed separatists.
- 7/7 spurred tough anti-terror measures some say went too far Updated: Jul-05-15 5:04 am
LONDON - After four home-grown suicide bombers killed 52 London commuters on July 7, 2005, Prime Minister Tony Blair vowed that Britain would stop at nothing to defeat terrorism. "Let no one be in any doubt," he said. "The rules of the game are changing."
- Egypt foiled extremist 'state' in Sinai, president says Updated: Jul-04-15 2:37 pm
CAIRO - President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, wearing battle dress for the first time in over a year, said Saturday that Egypt had foiled an attempt by the Islamic State group to seize territory and set up an extremist state with its recent assault on the military in the troubled northeastern part of the Sinai Peninsula.