- Ohio city better prepared to keep toxins out of tap water Updated: Jul-26-15 11:28 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - Bright yellow buoys equipped with sensors and scattered across western Lake Erie are more than beacons bobbing in the water.
- River, bay in Connecticut 'sick' from 'nuisance' algae Updated: Jul-25-15 3:06 am
STONINGTON, Connecticut - Wagging their wide tails as Kait Maginel and David Prescott tossed them back overboard, two lobsters that had shared a wire trap overnight with four spider crabs and a whelk had just been enlisted as ambassadors in the cause of cleaning up the lower Pawcatuck River and Little Narragansett Bay.
- North Dakota officials warn of green, blue-green scum Updated: Jul-24-15 12:30 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota health officials are warning residents and ranchers to watch out for blue-green scum in livestock water supplies, lakes and other recreational waterways.
- Boston's Jamaica Pond closed due to potentially toxic algae Updated: Jul-23-15 9:34 pm
BOSTON - Health officials say Boston's 68-acre Jamaica Pond has been closed because of algae blooms that can produce toxins and sicken humans and pets.
- NOAA grant to help Washington monitor toxic algae bloom Updated: Jul-23-15 5:59 pm
SEATTLE - The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is committing $88,000 to help Washington analyze a massive bloom of toxic algae off the coast that have closed some shellfish harvests.
- Health officials warn of toxic algae in Middletown pond Updated: Jul-23-15 11:04 am
MIDDLETOWN, Rhode Island - Health officials are advising people to avoid a Middletown pond because of toxic algae.
- Lawmakers want programs to curb Great Lakes farm pollution Updated: Jul-21-15 5:51 pm
WILLIS, Michigan - Two members of Congress introduced legislation Tuesday that encourages states in the Great Lakes region to develop voluntary programs aimed at reducing farm pollution that causes harmful algae blooms.
- Jamaica Pond closed to water activities after algae bloom Updated: Jul-20-15 10:20 pm
BOSTON - Jamaica Pond has been temporarily closed to water activities because of a suspected algae bloom.
- Fort Riley marina closed because of algae Updated: Jul-20-15 2:28 pm
FORT RILEY, Kansas - Fort Riley officials say the fort's marina is closed because of high levels of toxic blue-green algae at the north end of Milford Lake.
- Ohio outlines plan for toxic water warnings for kids, adults Updated: Jul-16-15 3:54 pm
TOLEDO, Ohio - If toxins from algae contaminate Ohio's drinking water again this summer, water warnings will include new alerts for young children, pregnant women and nursing mothers.
- Scientists in Oregon discover bacon-flavored seaweed Updated: Jul-15-15 4:15 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - What grows quickly, is packed with protein, has twice the nutritional value of kale and... tastes like bacon?
- State issues toxic algae warning for western Ohio lake Updated: Jul-15-15 12:18 pm
CONOVER, Ohio - Officials have issued a toxic algae bloom warning for Kiser Lake in western Ohio.
- 2 Smithville Lake beaches closed because of algae outbreak Updated: Jul-13-15 8:26 am
SMITHVILLE, Missouri - Two beaches at Smithville lake have been closed because of an outbreak of blue-green algae.
- Thousands of fish die in north-central Iowa lake Updated: Jul-11-15 12:58 pm
CRYSTAL LAKE, Iowa - Biologists say a large algae bloom in north-central Iowa's Crystal Lake has killed thousands of fish, which have washed up on the lake's shores and created a putrid mess.
- Blue-green algae spotted on Lake Champlain in Burlington Updated: Jul-11-15 9:49 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - Blue-green algae has been spotted again on Lake Champlain.
- Toxic algae blooms found in 3 N. Idaho lakes Updated: Jul-10-15 12:32 pm
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - State officials issued a health advisory Friday for Hayden Lake in northern Idaho after confirming the presence of a toxic blue-green algae bloom.
- SIU's Campus Lake closed indefinitely due to thick algae Updated: Jul-08-15 7:52 am
CARBONDALE, Illinois - Southern Illinois University's Campus Lake has been closed for several weeks because thick algae has formed on its surface.
- Lake Champlain drinking water sampled for algae toxins Updated: Jul-07-15 11:50 am
BURLINGTON, Vermont - Vermont drinking water systems on Lake Champlain are being sampled for blue-green algae toxins as part of a new 12-week program.
- Algae warning issued for western Nebraska reservoir Updated: Jul-03-15 8:30 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - State health and environment officials have issued a health alert for toxic blue-green algae at Sutherland Reservoir in Lincoln County.
- Minnesota officials warn of toxic algae after child sickened Updated: Jul-03-15 6:19 am
ALEXANDRIA, Minnesota - Minnesota health officials are warning of the dangers of toxic blue-green algae after they say a child was taken to a hospital after swimming in a central Minnesota lake that had the bacteria.
- Officials issue blue-green algae warning for 6 Kansas lakes Updated: Jul-03-15 4:56 am
WICHITA, Kansas - The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has issued a warning of high levels of toxic blue-green algae for six lakes.
- Red algae a concern in some areas on NC coast Updated: Jun-30-15 9:53 am
FORT FISHER, North Carolina - Red algae are becoming more of a problem along some parts of the North Carolina coast.