- Emirati businessman pledges over $1 billion to educate Arabs Updated: Jul-07-15 5:59 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A wealthy Emirati businessman says he is giving away a third of his assets, or more than a billion dollars, to educate Arab youth.
- Boy comforted by toy bear pays gift forward with donation Updated: Jul-06-15 9:14 am
COLUMBUS, Indiana - When his sister Eva died at birth, a teddy bear from a grief counselor is what comforted her brother, 10-year-old Jacob Clark.
- Swiss billionaire donates $25,000 to Landon Nature Trail Updated: Jul-05-15 8:19 pm
LAWRENCE, Kansas - A Swiss billionaire has donated $25,000 to help complete a 38-mile Kansas nature trail.
- Fireworks displays costly, but communities feel obligated Updated: Jul-03-15 2:56 pm
PITTSBURGH - Butler residents nearly went berserk this year when Mayor Tom Donaldson said the city could not afford an annual Independence Day fireworks display.
- $3M donated for scholarships in wake of Charleston shootings Updated: Jul-02-15 8:13 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - A group of anonymous donors from outside South Carolina has given $3 million to start a fund for college scholarships for Charleston-area students following the slaying of nine people at a historic black church last month.
- Billionaire Saudi prince vows to donate $32 billion fortune Updated: Jul-01-15 10:44 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Saudi Arabia's billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, one of the world's richest people, has announced he will donate all of his wealth to charity over the coming years.
- Pennsylvania community receives rare coin from donor Updated: Jun-24-15 2:43 pm
ZELIENOPLE, Pennsylvania - Officials in a community north of Pittsburgh are "oohing" and "ahhing" in advance of their Fourth of July fireworks display.
- Entrepreneur donates $4.5 million to UCSF to fight malaria Updated: Jun-18-15 11:58 am
SAN FRANCISCO - A Silicon Valley entrepreneur has donated $4.5 million to the University of California, San Francisco to help combat malaria.
- Charities emerge from recession with record donations Updated: Jun-16-15 5:22 am
SEATTLE - Charitable giving in the United States has surpassed pre-recession levels for the first time in seven years, according to a national organization that tracks the generosity of Americans.
- New website promotes crowdfunding for nonprofit agencies Updated: Jun-13-15 1:31 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A new website a Kansas City man plans to launch this coming week will promote crowdfunding to raise money for local nonprofit agencies through even the most modest of donations.
- Carter Center receives $10 million to fight river blindness Updated: Jun-12-15 12:41 pm
ATLANTA - Former President Jimmy Carter hopes a $10 million donation to end river blindness in Nigeria where it is most prevalent will help spark a global effort to eliminate the disease.
- Clarification: Chobani CEO-Philanthropy story Updated: Jun-08-15 2:19 pm
NEW YORK - In a May 28 story about philanthropy by Chobani founder Hamdi Ulukaya, The Associated Press reported that The Giving Pledge was created by Berkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffett and Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates. The story should have noted that Melinda Gates is also a co-founder of the pledge.