- Man accused of defrauding science foundation gets probation Updated: May-29-15 4:43 pm
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - A western South Dakota man convicted of creating a phony research company to bilk the National Science Foundation out of $100,000 won't have to spend time in prison but has been ordered to repay the money.
- Bill Clinton: Foundation remains a nonpartisan charity Updated: May-29-15 2:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Former President Bill Clinton is defending the work of his global foundation, telling donors it remains a nonpartisan philanthropy and likening recent critiques of the charity to political attacks.
- Nashville event seeks to support, improve public schools Updated: May-29-15 4:05 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Nashville Public Education Foundation is hosting an event on Saturday to discuss ways to support and improve public schools.
- Bankruptcy judge 'deeply concerned' about unfunded pensions Updated: May-28-15 6:44 pm
MACKINAC ISLAND, Michigan - The federal judge who oversaw Detroit's historic bankruptcy case said Thursday he is "deeply concerned" about unfunded pension liabilities in other Michigan municipalities and they should consider transitioning to 401(k) retirement plans for employees.
- Medical examiner says food critic drowned during seizure Updated: May-28-15 12:53 am
CHICAGO - The Cook County medical examiner's office says food critic Josh Ozersky, who was found dead in a Chicago hotel room earlier this month, drowned in a shower while suffering a seizure.
- Spokane County wins grant to reduce jail population Updated: May-27-15 1:37 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - The MacArthur Foundation is giving Spokane County a grant to help reduce overcrowding at the county jail.
- Money intended for foundation that aids veterans stolen Updated: May-27-15 5:52 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - Police are investigating a break-in at the Augusta Elks Lodge in which more than $15,000 was stolen, including thousands earmarked for a fundraiser for the Travis Mills Foundation, a nonprofit that supports injured veterans.
- Va. War Memorial education center announces gift, name Updated: May-27-15 3:41 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - The Virginia War Memorial Educational Foundation will name the grand lobby in its education center after Private Edward A. McMurtie.
- Car rental firm founder's family to donate $22M to charity Updated: May-27-15 3:41 am
ST. LOUIS - The family of Enterprise Rent-A-Car founder Jack Taylor is set to announce a $22 million donation to various organizations that support underserved children in the St. Louis area.
- Baptist Health, Verizon Foundation launch diabetes study Updated: May-26-15 3:56 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The Verizon Foundation and Baptist Health have announced a pilot program to study whether mobile technology can improve the health of diabetes patients.
- Famed Detroit jazz trumpeter Marcus Belgrave dies at 78 Updated: May-25-15 12:10 am
DETROIT - Marcus Belgrave, a jazz trumpeter who graced stages and studios with Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Dizzy Gillespie, Joe Cocker and Motown artists galore, died Sunday. He was 78.
- RI Foundation awards health-care groups more than $250,000 Updated: May-23-15 4:28 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Foundation has awarded more than $250,000 in grants to five health-care organizations to expand and improve primary care services.
- Money to help with Workforce renovation Updated: May-23-15 10:41 am
MERIDIAN, Mississippi - The Riley Foundation is giving $3.7 million to Meridian Community College to help renovate the school's Workforce Development Center.
- Governor appoints son of foundation president to regents Updated: May-22-15 5:58 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker has appointed the son of a president of a foundation that supports conservative causes to the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents.
- Amid celebrity show offs, $30 million raised at AIDS gala Updated: May-22-15 2:42 pm
CAP D'ANTIBES, France - Amid celebrity schmoozing, glamorous fashions, musical performances and the frequent banging of the auction hammer, the French Riviera's annual star-filled amfAR gala brought in its expected share of drama - with celebrity invitees including Leonardo DiCaprio, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard, Sienna Miller and Adrien Brody.
- Alaska's popular walrus cam streams again after a decade Updated: May-22-15 1:09 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A popular webcam showing large male Pacific walruses lying on the beach with a Hitchcockian number of seabirds flying overhead is once again streaming to the Internet.
- Brett Favre playing football again - for charity Updated: May-20-15 3:36 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Brett Favre will be playing football again in Wisconsin, just not at Lambeau Field.
- President of $3.3 billion Templeton Foundation dies Updated: May-19-15 3:41 pm
BRYN MAWR, Pennsylvania - John M. Templeton, president and chairman of the $3.34 billion John Templeton Foundation, has died. He was 75.
- Obama library foundation raised $5.4 million in 2014 Updated: May-18-15 8:31 pm
WASHINGTON - The nonprofit foundation raising money for President Barack Obama's future library in Chicago took in more than $5.4 million in 2014, according to the organization's tax returns.
- Lawyers to link farmers, food workers with legal services Updated: May-17-15 8:33 am
PORTLAND, Maine - A group of lawyers is holding an event in Portland to introduce farmers and food industry workers to legal services.
- RI Foundation awards more than $200,000 to nonprofits Updated: May-16-15 10:01 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Foundation has awarded more than $200,000 to 33 nonprofit organizations that serve Newport County.
- ABC faces credibility crisis over Stephanopoulos donations Updated: May-15-15 3:24 pm
NEW YORK - George Stephanopoulos apologized to viewers Friday for donating $75,000 to the Clinton Foundation and failing to disclose it earlier, as ABC News now finds its chief anchor in a credibility crisis on the eve of a presidential campaign.
- Bill Cosby to advocate for education in rural Alabama Updated: May-13-15 9:52 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Embattled actor and comedian Bill Cosby will visit Alabama on Thursday and Friday for events aimed at highlighting schools in one of the poorest areas of the state.
- Journal editor to head education foundation Updated: May-12-15 9:19 am
TUPELO, Mississippi - Lloyd Gray, executive editor of the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal for 23 years, is leaving the newspaper to become executive director of The Phil Hardin Foundation.
- Former foundation head to speak at volunteerism conference Updated: May-12-15 4:41 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - The former CEO and president of the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation is giving the keynote address at the Governor's Conference on Volunteerism in Concord.