- Newark schools officials announce funds for school supplies Updated: Sep-02-15 1:25 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - The new superintendent of schools in Newark tried to set a conciliatory tone Wednesday, appearing at a school to announce that district teachers would each receive $100 to spend as they wish on supplies and principals would get $7,500 for needs not covered in their budgets.
- State officials: Fake bills reportedly used at charity event Updated: Sep-02-15 11:48 am
SHELBY TOWNSHIP, Michigan - State officials are investigating a report of counterfeit currency passed at a Detroit-area charity gambling event.
- Report: Charities received little of millions company raised Updated: Aug-30-15 4:37 pm
CHICAGO - A newspaper report says a for-profit telemarketing company raised roughly $5 million at Chicago area call centers for U.S. charities, but the charities received a fraction of the money.
- Upstate NY museum receives trove of couple's modern art Updated: Aug-29-15 5:13 pm
GLENS FALLS, New York - An upstate New York museum known for its collection of work by Rembrandt, van Gogh and Picasso says it has received its largest donation of modern artwork in years.
- Pop-up store aims at back-to-school crowd Updated: Aug-29-15 4:28 pm
BAINBRIDGE ISLAND, Washington - Like summer vacation, Bainbridge School Supply will come and go in a busy blur.
- Boy dies 2 weeks after fundraiser for his cancer treatment Updated: Aug-28-15 6:16 pm
LAKEWOOD, Colorado - A 9-year-old Lakewood boy who had a lemonade stand this month to raise money for his treatment for brain cancer has died.
- AP EXCLUSIVE: Chairman promises review of unspent charity Updated: Aug-27-15 7:07 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Nearly $10 million in charitable donations by California taxpayers sat unspent in government accounts at the end of last year, The Associated Press has found, and the Senate Governance and Finance Committee chairman said Thursday that he wants a review of state accounts and will hold a hearing to find out why the money hasn't been spent.
- Philadelphia 76ers owner donates $3.5M to local nonprofit Updated: Aug-27-15 2:21 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The owner of the Philadelphia 76ers has pledged a $3.5 million donation to the Philadelphia Police Athletic League - the largest amount ever recorded by the nonprofit youth group.
- A look at some of the funds receiving tax checkoff donations Updated: Aug-27-15 1:16 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California enables residents to donate money to a variety of charitable causes while they file taxes. The distribution of the money lacks oversight, creating problems for funds like these:
- Airbus donates $500K aircraft part to SD School of Mines Updated: Aug-27-15 2:28 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - An aircraft manufacturer has donated a 20-foot-long airplane part valued at $500,000 to the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology to support education and research efforts.
- Hendrix College receives biggest donation in school history Updated: Aug-26-15 1:14 pm
CONWAY, Arkansas - Hendrix College has received a $26 million donation, the largest gift in the school's history.
- Nonprofits looking to MJ for donations after lawsuit win Updated: Aug-26-15 5:22 am
CHICAGO - Chicago's Collaboraction Theatre was one of the first to get in line when Michael Jordan announced nonprofits will benefit from the $8.9 million he won by suing a defunct grocery chain that used his name without permission.
- Former patient repays Riley Hospital with books Updated: Aug-25-15 5:07 am
FRANKLIN, Indiana - During the most difficult days of chemotherapy, radiation and surgeries to treat cancer, something as small as a picture book or a new novel can put a smile on a child's face.
- Eisenhower Foundation raises money for updates Updated: Aug-23-15 4:16 pm
ABILENE, Kansas - To mark the 125th year since Dwight D. Eisenhower's birth, a multi-million dollar fundraising campaign has begun to do a better job of telling the story of the nation's 34th president.
- Brookings hair salon owner has talent for fundraisers Updated: Aug-23-15 11:13 am
BROOKINGS, South Dakota - After working at a corporate hair salon that didn't allow her to provide free cuts to a boy with cancer and a soldier who later died in combat, a Brookings woman opened her own salon to help people in need.
- New Hampshire moose hunting permits fetch $28,002 Updated: Aug-23-15 10:04 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - An auction for two coveted moose hunting permits in New Hampshire raised just over $28,000 for the state's Wildlife Heritage Foundation.
- Blatter gets cow, milks support at home charity event Updated: Aug-22-15 12:12 pm
ULRICHEN, Switzerland - Sepp Blatter was given a cow but gave little away about FIFA business at his annual charity football tournament on Saturday.
- The Latest: Florida Gov. won't force legislators to return Updated: Aug-21-15 5:57 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The latest on the Florida Legislature's special session to pass new congressional districts for the state (all times local).
- Official peeved over ethics vote takes it out on charities Updated: Aug-21-15 2:32 pm
FREDERICK, Maryland - A Frederick County councilman known for peevish behavior is protesting the tightening of local ethics rules by halting his company's charitable donations to community organizations.
- Sanford donates $2M to NSU, becomes sports medicine provider Updated: Aug-21-15 2:32 am
ABERDEEN, South Dakota - Sanford Health is making a $2 million donation to Northern State University and becoming the exclusive sports medicine provider for the school's athletes.
- Former top Haslam adviser lands $120K state museum contract Updated: Aug-20-15 5:31 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Republican Gov. Bill Haslam's former chief of staff, Mark Cate, will earn $120,000 per year as a "project coordinator" developing the new Tennessee State Museum to be built near the state Capitol.
- Smithsonian crowdfunding campaign passes goal, raises $720k Updated: Aug-20-15 3:51 pm
WASHINGTON - The National Air and Space Museum has completed its crowdfunding campaign to conserve the spacesuit Neil Armstrong wore on the moon and surpassed its goal by nearly $220,000.
- Chung slams 'cynical' FIFA ethics probe of charity money Updated: Aug-19-15 9:26 am
GENEVA - FIFA presidential contender Chung Mong-joon has accused football's governing body of trying to "misrepresent" charitable donations he made to relief donations to Pakistan and Haiti.
- Albuquerque man's Batmobile takes philanthropy on the road Updated: Aug-19-15 5:10 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Holy hot rod, Batman! Gotham's gorgeous gas-guzzler is all about giving.
- Ex-beauty queen sorry for faking cancer, pocketing donations Updated: Aug-18-15 2:23 pm
STATE COLLEGE, Pennsylvania - A former Pennsylvania beauty queen accused of faking leukemia to benefit from fundraisers has apologized for her actions and has promised to pay all the money back.