- State Library and Archives exhibit open on maps Updated: May-26-15 4:06 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A free exhibit showcasing some of the maps available at the Tennessee State Library and Archives is open in the agency's lobby in downtown Nashville through Sept. 12.
- Board selling naming rights for rooms inside planned library Updated: May-21-15 4:23 pm
COLUMBUS, Nebraska - The Columbus Public Library board hopes to raise more than $7 million by allowing people to name large spaces inside a proposed downtown library and cultural arts center.
- Couple donate to Baltimore library open during riots Updated: May-21-15 3:35 pm
BALTIMORE - Netscape co-founder and his philanthropist wife plan to donate $170,000 in computers and equipment to a library that decided to stay open during the Baltimore riots following the death of Freddie Gray in police custody.
- Police: Missing Boston library artwork may be an inside job Updated: May-21-15 9:46 am
BOSTON - Police and the FBI are investigating the disappearance of two pieces of artwork worth more than half a million dollars from the Boston Public Library, and a top employee has been placed on leave.
- Boston Public Library looks for 2 missing Old Master prints Updated: May-19-15 9:52 pm
BOSTON - The Boston Public Library is looking for two valuable Old Master artworks missing from its extensive print collection.
- Obama library foundation raised $5.4 million in 2014 Updated: May-18-15 8:31 pm
WASHINGTON - The nonprofit foundation raising money for President Barack Obama's future library in Chicago took in more than $5.4 million in 2014, according to the organization's tax returns.
- First lady: Libraries, museums are 'necessities,' not extras Updated: May-18-15 4:48 pm
WASHINGTON - First lady Michelle Obama says America's libraries and museums aren't luxuries or "extras" that can be passed over while money goes toward other goals like creating jobs or teaching children.
- Correction: Obama-After White House story Updated: May-18-15 4:24 pm
WASHINGTON - In a story May 16 about President Barack Obama's plans after he leaves the White House, The Associated Press reported erroneously that George H.W. Bush's presidential library is in Houston. The library is in College Station, Texas.
- Ex-worker gets probation for embezzling from Dubuque library Updated: May-14-15 1:57 pm
DUBUQUE, Iowa - A former Dubuque library employee has been sentenced to five years of probation after pleading guilty to embezzlement.
- State revokes pension over embezzlement of $200,000 Updated: May-14-15 10:47 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - State Attorney General George Jepsen says a former Waterbury library payroll manager who pleaded guilty to embezzling more than $200,000 from the library will lose her pension.
- Obama Foundation: Support from Illinois key for library Updated: May-12-15 2:52 pm
CHICAGO - The head of President Barack Obama's foundation says support from across Illinois made Chicago stand out as a site for the Obama Library.
- Detroit library opening Coleman A. Young papers to public Updated: May-12-15 7:43 am
DETROIT - The Detroit Public Library is opening to the public a collection of memos, official letters and other documents that crossed the desk of former Detroit Mayor Coleman A. Young.
- It's official: Obama library will be on Chicago's South Side Updated: May-12-15 7:43 am
CHICAGO - President Barack Obama has decided to build his presidential library on the South Side of Chicago, where his political career began.
- Obamas highlight their Chicago history with library choice Updated: May-12-15 7:35 am
- SC Highway Patrol marks 85th birthday at state archives Updated: May-12-15 4:04 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Highway Patrol is celebrating its 85th anniversary at the state Department of Archives and History.
- Obama Library organizers to reveal site decision in Chicago Updated: May-11-15 11:22 am
CHICAGO - The Barack Obama Foundation will hold a news conference in Chicago to announce where the president's library will be built - the strongest confirmation yet that the city won the sweepstakes to erect the library.
- Peoria Public Library adds digital movies, music service Updated: May-09-15 4:07 am
PEORIA, Illinois - Peoria Public Library patrons have free access to more than 8 million songs and 5,000 movies through a new digital service.
- Dingell papers go to University of Michigan Bentley library Updated: May-06-15 8:23 pm
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - Former Michigan congressman John Dingell is donating his papers from 59 years in the U.S. House to the University of Michigan, the school announced Wednesday.
- UNO student accused of pulling knife on another in library Updated: May-06-15 4:05 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - A University of Nebraska at Omaha student has been taken into police custody after being accused of pulling a pocket knife on another student in the university's library.
- Oklahoma State University library wins excellence award Updated: May-05-15 3:05 am
STILLWATER, Oklahoma - The Oklahoma State University library is being honored for its series of Science CafÃ© programs on the oil and gas industry.
- Officials looking at new sites for Indiana archives building Updated: May-04-15 4:19 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - State officials are considering new Indianapolis sites for a proposed state archives building after state lawmakers blocked the project from being built along the city's downtown canal.
- Voters around Louisiana OK 49 taxes, nix 10 Updated: May-03-15 6:46 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Voters in 28 parishes around Louisiana considered nearly 60 tax measures, and the vast majority passed. New or renewed taxes include one for libraries in New Orleans, a $175 service charge for a Bastrop fire protection district, and four for Rapides Parish schools.
- Washington County chess academy builds focus, confidence Updated: May-03-15 10:13 am
HAGERSTOWN, Maryland - On any given Sunday, many kids can be found lounging at home playing video games, watching TV or playing with friends, but for one group of children, weekend afternoons have been spent learning the game of chess.
- Gainesville toddler reads 1,000 books before age of 2 Updated: May-03-15 9:41 am
GAINESVILLE, Georgia - Clementine Connolly spends most of her days reading. At the breakfast table, she reaches for her book much like an adult would reach for the morning newspaper. At night before going to sleep, she curls up in bed with another book. Yet, she's not even 2 years old.
- Police groups object to 'Don't Shoot' art piece in Madison Updated: May-01-15 5:03 pm
MILWAUKEE - Police advocacy groups in Wisconsin on Friday objected to a painting displayed at the Madison Public Library that shows an African-American boy pointing a toy gun at three riot police officers who have their weapons aimed at the child, calling it inflammatory and biased.