- Correction: Same Sex-Birth Certificates story Updated: Oct-09-15 10:41 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - In a story Oct. 8 about birth certificates for the children of same-sex couples, The Associated Press misidentified the Kansas agency that issues the certificates. It is the Department of Health and Environment, not the Department of Revenue. Sara Belfry is a spokeswoman for the Department of Health and Environment, not the Department of Revenue.
- Fatherhood program for South Dakota inmates loses funding Updated: Oct-09-15 8:06 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - The future is unclear for a fatherhood program for outgoing inmates in South Dakota after it lost its federal grant funding.
- Alabama judge: Feds should issue same-sex marriage licenses Updated: Oct-08-15 3:18 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - An Alabama probate judge is asking the state's Supreme Court for a way out of issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
- Mother-son bond over guns links Oregon, Connecticut slayings Updated: Oct-07-15 1:44 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - The deadly shooting last week at an Oregon community college has an eerie parallel with the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School that killed 20 pupils and six adult staff members in 2012.
- Sister files police harassment complaint against brother Updated: Oct-07-15 12:14 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - A sibling spat between an Omaha woman and her brother has now become a police matter.
- Luxury birthing clinics spur cesarean 'epidemic' in Brazil Updated: Oct-07-15 12:06 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Thais Faria sank into a leather love seat, relaxing under the ministrations first of a masseuse, then a manicurist and finally a hairdresser-cum-makeup artist. Not 24 hours after her daughter was born via cesarean, Faria was being pampered at an upscale Rio de Janeiro maternity clinic.
- Kansas same-sex couples seek birth certificates Updated: Oct-06-15 11:18 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Two same-sex couples say Kansas has refused to issue birth certificates listing them as parents of their children conceived through artificial insemination.
- A multigenerational hit: Student debt traps parents and kids Updated: Oct-05-15 2:33 pm
WASHINGTON - A college degree practically stamped Andres Aguirre's ticket to the middle class. Yet at age 40, he's still paying the price of admission.
- Patrick Kennedy memoir takes hard look at family, addiction Updated: Oct-05-15 8:22 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A new book by former U.S. Rep. Patrick Kennedy, youngest son of the late Sen. Edward Kennedy, openly discusses what he says are the mental illnesses and addictions of himself and his family members, and takes on what he portrays as a veil of secrecy used to hide the problems of America's most famous political family.
- Texas birth certificate denials for US-born kids get hearing Updated: Oct-02-15 6:24 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Lawyers for immigrant families denied birth certificates for U.S.-born children by Texas health officials told a federal judge Friday that a state agency must provide another option if certain forms of foreign-issued identification cannot be accepted.
- The Latest: Virginia executes serial killer Updated: Oct-01-15 10:03 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The latest on the scheduled execution of a convicted serial killer in Virginia. All times local:
- California high schools to learn 'yes means yes' sex policy Updated: Oct-01-15 8:35 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Gov. Jerry Brown has approved legislation aimed at making California the first state in the nation to bring lessons about sexual consent required at many colleges into high schools, his office announced Thursday.
- Gay couple takes legal action over son's birth certificate Updated: Oct-01-15 4:56 pm
LAWRENCE, Kansas - A same-sex couple is seeking to force the Kansas Department of Health and Environment to issue a birth certificate listing both women as the parents of their baby boy.
- Mistaken text message leads to love for St. Louis couple Updated: Sep-30-15 4:36 pm
ST. LOUIS - A married St. Louis couple is sharing their unlikely love story about three years after the mistaken text message that forged their relationship.
- Clooney, Coen Brothers at 'O Brother' special screening Updated: Sep-30-15 11:45 am
NEW YORK - George Clooney joined the Coen brothers and stars Tim Blake Nelson and John Turturro at a special 15th-anniversary screening of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" at the New York Film Festival.
- Divorce finalized for Alabama governor, former first lady Updated: Sep-29-15 9:08 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A judge on Tuesday signed a divorce decree for Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley and former first lady Dianne Bentley, quietly concluding the couple's 50-year marriage.
- Review: Authentic, moving performances elevate 'Freeheld' Updated: Sep-29-15 6:26 pm
Few actresses bring the simple authenticity to the screen that Julianne Moore does; it's virtually impossible to imagine this actress sounding a false note. And so it's hardly a surprise that she is deeply convincing - indeed, heartbreaking at times - in the real-life role of Laurel Hester, a dying woman who fought to her last breath to give her domestic partner rights to her pension benefits.
- Nebraska AG opposes new request in same-sex marriage case Updated: Sep-29-15 5:12 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The Nebraska attorney general's office is objecting to a new effort by a civil liberties group to have both same-sex spouses listed as parents on their children's birth certificates.
- Markieff Morris says he 'wants to be' with Suns Updated: Sep-28-15 7:08 pm
PHOENIX - Markieff Morris is still with the Phoenix Suns and said all the right things at the team's media day.
- Texas pair, marriage equality plaintiffs, get license to wed Updated: Sep-26-15 5:01 pm
SAN ANTONIO - Before they were catapulted onto the national stage as plaintiffs in a marriage equality suit against the state of Texas, and before they were denied a marriage license in Bexar County two years ago, the love story of Mark Phariss and Vic Holmes began right here in San Antonio 18 years ago.
- Bennett brothers on opposite sides when Seahawks face Bears Updated: Sep-24-15 8:13 pm
RENTON, Washington - Michael Bennett dislikes playing against his brother Martellus, so much so that he nearly signed with the Chicago Bears in free agency last year to avoid having to face him again.
- Health program offers free birth control to more poor teens Updated: Sep-24-15 1:50 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - State officials say the consolidation of Texas health programs should help thousands of poor Texas teens get free access to birth control for the first time.
- British siblings survive Saudi crane collapse, perform hajj Updated: Sep-23-15 1:55 pm
MOUNT ARAFAT, Saudi Arabia - For two Muslim siblings from the city of Bradford in Britain, it was a lifelong dream that their father take them on the hajj pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia - but when that dream came true, it brought tragedy and changed their lives forever.
- The Latest: Kentucky clerk says she's not a homophobe Updated: Sep-22-15 8:08 am
MOREHEAD, Kentucky - Here is the latest on the Kentucky county clerk who has refused to issue marriage licenses to gay couples. (All times local).
- South Korea-backed app puts children at risk Updated: Sep-20-15 3:21 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - Security researchers say they found critical weaknesses in a South Korean government-mandated child surveillance app - vulnerabilities that left the private lives of the country's youngest citizens open to hackers.