- Pennsylvania family to bury Korean War soldier recently ID'd Updated: Jul-03-15 3:00 pm
APOLLO, Pennsylvania - The relatives of a western Pennsylvania soldier who was wounded and taken captive during the Korean War will bury his remains at Arlington National Cemetery now that government scientists have identified them.
- Indiana Supreme Court hears case on custody, mental illness Updated: Jul-03-15 2:49 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indiana Supreme Court is weighing an emotionally charged case in which a man lost custody of his daughter after spurning child-welfare officials' suggestions that he leave his mentally ill wife based on their fears that she might harm the girl.
- Surrogate children granted legal recognition in France Updated: Jul-03-15 1:47 pm
PARIS - France's highest court has granted legal recognition to surrogate children, in a major turnaround that will make their daily lives easier and could lead to greater acceptance of new forms of families.
- California couple married 75 years dies in each other's arms Updated: Jul-03-15 1:35 pm
SAN DIEGO - Jeanette and Alexander Toczko were each 8 years old when they became smitten with one another. They married in 1940 and were rarely apart in the decades since.
- Police: New York man steals brother's identity, pilfers $30K Updated: Jul-03-15 6:34 am
CLIFTON PARK, New York - State police say a 35-year-old upstate New York is accused of stealing more than $30,000 from his brother after stealing his sibling's identity.
- Groups: Alabama counties complying with marriage ruling Updated: Jul-02-15 8:41 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Lawyers representing gay couples said Thursday that all Alabama counties appear to be complying with the federal ruling that made same-sex marriage the law of the land.
- Jackson mayor says she's pushing anti-discrimination measure Updated: Jul-02-15 8:23 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - The mayor of Jackson is pushing an ordinance to ban discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity and says she expects to have a public hearing on it in coming weeks.
- Kentucky clerk sued for not issuing gay-marriage licenses Updated: Jul-02-15 7:40 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Four Kentucky couples are suing a clerk who is refusing to issue gay-marriage licenses - or any marriage licenses at all - following the U.S. Supreme Court decision that same-sex couples have a legal right to marry.
- Hero of marriage ruling honors early gay rights protesters Updated: Jul-02-15 6:54 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Regina Sullivan started crying as she squeezed her arms around the man behind the latest gay rights milestone: Jim Obergefell, whose lawsuit led to the Supreme Court ruling making same-sex marriage the law of the land.
- Navy triples paid maternity leave to 18 weeks Updated: Jul-02-15 1:56 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. Navy is tripling the amount of paid maternity leave that female sailors and Marines can take after the birth of a child, and will now provide a total of 18 weeks off.
- At 34, single mom facing Alzheimer's Updated: Jul-02-15 12:59 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Carrie Richardson knows what she faces after being diagnosed with Early Onset Familial Alzheimer's.
- China gay couple holds informal marriage to push for union Updated: Jul-02-15 6:22 am
BEIJING - A prominent Chinese lesbian couple held a simple ceremony Thursday to announce their informal marriage, in their latest effort to push for the legalization of same-sex unions in China.
- Episcopalians vote to allow gay marriage in churches Updated: Jul-02-15 3:22 am
SALT LAKE CITY - Episcopalians voted overwhelmingly Wednesday to allow religious weddings for same-sex couples, solidifying the church's embrace of gay rights that began more than a decade ago with the pioneering election of the first openly gay bishop.
- Civics test, rules for e-cigarette sales among new Utah laws Updated: Jul-01-15 7:05 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - More than 50 new laws took effect Wednesday in Utah, including measures requiring high school students to pass a U.S. citizenship test, restrictions on electronic-cigarette sellers and expanded death benefits for families of fallen police officers and firefighters.
- Shared child custody awarded to divorcing same-sex couple Updated: Jul-01-15 7:02 pm
SAN ANTONIO - A state district judge has awarded shared custody of a 2-year-old girl to her same-sex parents, who are divorcing.
- Wisconsin married couples to benefit under tax package Updated: Jul-01-15 6:47 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Married couples would benefit the most under a Republican-authored tax plan that's to be added to the state budget on Thursday.
- Tennessee editorial roundup Updated: Jul-01-15 2:14 pm
Recent editorials from Tennessee newspapers:
- Some counties still not issuing licenses to same-sex couples Updated: Jul-01-15 1:58 pm
ST. LOUIS - Some Missouri counties still won't issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples despite last week's Supreme Court ruling, prompting an advocacy group to threaten legal action Wednesday to force compliance.
- Hood County to issue same-sex marriage licenses after all Updated: Jul-01-15 9:36 am
GRANBURY, Texas - A North Texas county will issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples even though the clerk in charge of such documents says it's against her beliefs.
- Pope to meet with homeless, prisoners and immigrants in US Updated: Jun-30-15 3:58 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis will meet with homeless people, immigrants and prisoners during his upcoming trip to Cuba and the United States and become the first pope to address the U.S. Congress. He'll also preside over a meeting about religious liberty - a major issue for U.S. bishops in the wake of the Supreme Court's gay marriage decision.
- Angry protesters whitewash rainbow flag on West Bank barrier Updated: Jun-30-15 2:17 pm
RAMALLAH, West Bank - Palestinian protesters whitewashed a rainbow flag of gay rights that was painted by a Palestinian artist on six slabs of the West Bank separation barrier.
- Daughter, terminally ill mom bond through Penguins hockey Updated: Jun-30-15 12:37 pm
PITTSBURGH - Michelle Hardy has little use for the NHL offseason. Told she has 12 to 18 months to live because of a terminal form of brain cancer, Hardy, 46, wants hockey back - and soon.
- La. court clerks get OK to issue same-sex marriage licenses Updated: Jun-30-15 12:11 am
NEW ORLEANS - Two New Orleans men celebrated what apparently was the first same-sex wedding in Louisiana as the last holdout state began issuing licenses to same-sex couples after the historic U.S. Supreme Court decision that marriage is a fundamental right for all Americans.
- Texas issuing gay marriage licenses, despite AG's opinion Updated: Jun-29-15 7:30 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Many county clerks across Texas have begun issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, despite instructions from the state attorney general that they could refuse to do so if it violates their religious beliefs. And most of the ones holding out say they are doing so for logistic - not religious - reasons.
- Same-sex couples in SD can now change driver's license names Updated: Jun-29-15 2:59 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - Same-sex couples in South Dakota can now use a marriage certificate and a number of other documents to change a name on a South Dakota-issued driver's license.