- St. Louis police to increase security for baseball playoffs Updated: Oct-08-15 5:39 pm
ST. LOUIS - Baseball fans converging on the city's downtown for the playoffs series between the Cardinals and the Chicago Cubs can expect a beefed-up police presence, St. Louis' police chief pledged Thursday, two weeks after a shooting near Busch Stadium left a fan unable to walk and spawned unease about downtown safety.
- California to phase out microbeads used in soaps, toothpaste Updated: Oct-08-15 5:39 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation that requires California to phase out the use of microscopic beads in personal care products sold in the state starting in 2020 to protect fish and wildlife.
- Satellite images show scale of NKorea's anniversary parade Updated: Oct-08-15 5:39 pm
WASHINGTON - Satellite imagery shows North Korea has erected a tented city and mobilized hundreds of trucks and armored vehicles in preparation for a massive military parade marking the 70th anniversary of the ruling party.
- Committee OKs lifting UW out-of-state student cap Updated: Oct-08-15 5:39 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - A University of Wisconsin System committee approved a plan to lift UW-Madison's cap on out-of-state students Thursday after the campus' chancellor and system president insisted they need more freedom to attract fresh talent for Wisconsin employers.
- Analysts: Court ruling fuels bid to impeach Brazil president Updated: Oct-08-15 5:39 pm
SAO PAULO - President Dilma Rousseff's ability to govern Brazil has been dealt a serious blow by a federal audit court ruling that her government violated accounting practices and financial laws last year, a decision that could fuel efforts to impeach her, analysts said Thursday.
- McCarthy abruptly withdraws candidacy for House speaker Updated: Oct-08-15 5:38 pm
WASHINGTON - Confronting insurmountable obstacles, Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy suddenly withdrew from the contest for speaker of the U.S. House on Thursday, shocking colleagues just before they were to vote and producing ever-deeper chaos for a divided Congress.
- Oklahoma halts executions after using wrong drug on inmate Updated: Oct-08-15 5:33 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Gov. Mary Fallin agreed Thursday that all executions in Oklahoma should be delayed after an autopsy report revealed that the wrong drug was used to stop an inmate's heart in January - one that experts say doesn't work as quickly or effectively.
- Judges say crumbling San Antonio courthouse is unsafe Updated: Oct-08-15 5:33 pm
SAN ANTONIO - Members of the Texas Congressional delegation are trying to get approval and funding for a new federal courthouse in San Antonio to replace a building that judges who work there say is crumbling and unsafe.
- Arkansas court tosses conviction in woman's meth case Updated: Oct-08-15 5:33 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - The Arkansas Supreme Court on Thursday overturned the conviction of a woman who was sentenced to 20 years in prison after giving birth to a baby with methamphetamine in his system.
- Food aid in jeopardy for more North Carolina healthy adults Updated: Oct-08-15 5:29 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Get a part-time job, get training, start volunteering or lose your food stamps: That's the message from Gov. Pat McCrory's administration and North Carolina lawmakers to certain healthy adults who have no dependents.
- Petitions filed to allow medical marijuana use in Missouri Updated: Oct-08-15 5:29 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The first step to put medical marijuana to a statewide vote next year came Thursday, with supporters filing initiative petitions with the Missouri secretary of state.
- GOP lawmaker introduces high-capacity well bill Updated: Oct-08-15 5:26 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Republican state Sen. Rob Cowles has introduced a bill that would overhaul high-capacity well regulations.
- Kansas Supreme Court declines to hear Heartland Park case Updated: Oct-08-15 5:25 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Supreme Court has refused to consider the validity of a petition that sought a public vote on a city plan to purchase the struggling Heartland Park motorsports complex.
- Judge peppers Arpaio with questions about investigation Updated: Oct-08-15 5:21 pm
PHOENIX - An Arizona sheriff squared off with a federal judge who peppered him with questions about an allegation that the lawman investigated the jurist in a bid to get him removed from a racial profiling case.
- NY governor, Al Gore announce plans to combat climate change Updated: Oct-08-15 5:21 pm
NEW YORK - New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has signed a pledge to reduce greenhouse gas emissions about 40 percent by 2030.
- Serbia snatches 2-0 win in Albania in tense Euro qualifier Updated: Oct-08-15 5:19 pm
ELBASAN, Albania - Serbia snatched a late 2-0 over Albania with injury-time goals from Aleksandar Kolarov and Adem Ljajic, stunning the hosts in a tense European qualifier.
- Declassified US docs reveal Pinochet ordered killing in US Updated: Oct-08-15 5:19 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Newly declassified U.S. intelligence documents that came to light Thursday reveal that Gen. Augusto Pinochet directly ordered the 1976 assassination of a Chilean diplomat in Washington.
- Latin America rolls out red carpet for once-scorned IMF Updated: Oct-08-15 5:17 pm
LIMA, Peru - The last time the IMF held its annual meetings in Latin America, Ernesto "Che" Guevara was trying to spread Cuba's revolution throughout the hemisphere and much of the region was under the thumb of repressive dictatorships.
- NYC Mayor de Blasio heads to Israel to discuss anti-Semitism Updated: Oct-08-15 5:14 pm
NEW YORK - New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (dih BLAH'-zee-oh) is traveling to Israel next week.
- Oklahoma governor names ex-assistant AG as special adviser Updated: Oct-08-15 5:14 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Gov. Mary Fallin has named a former longtime assistant in the Oklahoma Attorney General's Office as her special adviser on child welfare and implementation of the Pinnacle Plan.
- Wisconsin to host Democratic presidential debate Updated: Oct-08-15 5:12 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin will host a Democratic presidential primary debate on Feb. 11.
- Utility filing puts number on cost of solar customers Updated: Oct-08-15 5:10 pm
PHOENIX - Arizona's largest electricity utility on Thursday put hard numbers on the costs it contends solar customers aren't paying to maintain the power grid.
- Governor: Analysis shows truck toll plan is good way to go Updated: Oct-08-15 5:07 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - An economic analysis commissioned by the state is further evidence that the proposal to toll large commercial trucks to fund Rhode Island bridge repairs is a good way to go, Gov. Gina Raimondo said Thursday.
- Yuma sheriff: Feds let go immigrants who commit crimes Updated: Oct-08-15 4:59 pm
TUCSON, Arizona - The Yuma County Sheriff's Office says local authorities are footing the bill to prosecute immigrants who are arrested but who the federal government declines to charge.
- Wisconsin DOT announces additional road project delays Updated: Oct-08-15 4:59 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The Wisconsin Department of Transportation has announced additional road project delays caused by a lack of funding.