- Cuba reforms seen as changing ideals, values Updated: Dec-07-13 10:31 am
- Few heirs apparent to Mandela's symbol of freedom Updated: Dec-07-13 10:30 am
- Decision awaited months after death row heat trial Updated: Dec-07-13 10:30 am
- Recreation tax proposed in Welsh Updated: Dec-07-13 10:29 am
- 2014 could be repeat of 2013 for Alabama raises Updated: Dec-07-13 10:29 am
- Livingston sheriff complains of jail overcrowding Updated: Dec-07-13 10:25 am
- Mass. congressional hopefuls making final pitches Updated: Dec-07-13 10:18 am
- Celebrating Mandela: South African sports goes on Updated: Dec-07-13 10:15 am
- Iraqi FM warns of jihadi 'emirate' in Syria Updated: Dec-07-13 10:10 am
- Corbett signals he won't push to hike minimum wage Updated: Dec-07-13 10:10 am
- RI's 5 things: Jazz fest expands, Maeda exits Updated: Dec-07-13 10:09 am
- Hagel given assurances on Afghan security deal Updated: Dec-07-13 10:08 am
- Med students create, run free clinic in Norfolk Updated: Dec-07-13 10:08 am
- 10 apply for police chief in Philadelphia Updated: Dec-07-13 10:06 am
- Putin spokesman: customs union not discussed Updated: Dec-07-13 9:59 am
- Republican Fisher enters Mass. race for governor Updated: Dec-07-13 9:48 am
- Boxer Jacob Matlala, 51, a Mandela favorite, dies Updated: Dec-07-13 9:48 am
- Bankrupt NJ casino has $17.7M assets, $16.8M debts Updated: Dec-07-13 9:32 am
- French army deploys in Central African Republic Updated: Dec-07-13 9:25 am
- Egypt court cuts sentences against Islamist women Updated: Dec-07-13 9:25 am
- Massive crowds, world leaders to honor Mandela Updated: Dec-07-13 9:21 am
- Portable classrooms are multiplying in DC area Updated: Dec-07-13 9:20 am
- Cops: NH teen missing 2 months wrote letter to mom Updated: Dec-07-13 9:14 am
- Parnell to release budget proposal Thursday Updated: Dec-07-13 9:06 am
- Border Patrol seizes marijuana, arrests 4 suspects Updated: Dec-07-13 9:05 am
HAVANA - It's not dog-eat-dog. Not just yet.
The passing of Nelson Mandela leaves a waning number of global figures representing freedom and resilience against oppression - and a changing world that makes it harder for anyone to approach Mandela's iconic power.
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A lawsuit challenging heat conditions on death row as unsafe for inmates at the state penitentiary was filed during the thick of Louisiana's hot and humid summer. The federal judge assigned to the case suggested he would rule quickly because of the health concerns involved.
WELSH, Louisiana - Voters in Welsh will consider a proposal for a half-cent sales tax dedicated to funding of maintenance, operations and improvements of the town's recreational facilities.
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama teachers could be in line for another pay raise when the state legislature meets next year, but non-education state employees should not get their hopes up.
HOWELL, Michigan - Sheriff Bob Bezotte says overcrowding has forced the Livingston County Jail to sleep some female inmates on the floor of a small cell with a single toilet.
BOSTON - Voters in the 5th Congressional District are heading to the polls this week to decide the latest in a string of special elections in Massachusetts.
South Africa's rugby sevens team huddled in the middle of the stadium named after Nelson Mandela, raised their hands to the skies and then won their game Saturday.
MANAMA, Bahrain - Iraq's top diplomat warned Saturday that the "toxic" proliferation of extremist groups among Syria's rebels raises the prospect of a jihadist-ruled territory at the heart of the region.
WILKES-BARRE, Pennsylvania - Gov. Tom Corbett is signaling that he won't support an increase in Pennsylvania's minimum wage, saying he's worried about the impact on the state's economy.
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Defendants in a Navy kickbacks case are sentenced, the Newport Jazz Festival expands and the president of the Rhode Island School of Design announces his departure. Here are five things to know in Rhode Island.
KABUL, Afghanistan - Pentagon chief Chuck Hagel said Saturday that Afghanistan's defense minister reassured him that a security agreement with the U.S. will be signed in a timely manner.
NORFOLK, Virginia - For Cara Wright, taking someone's blood pressure at a free clinic on Southampton Avenue in Norfolk is pretty straightforward.
PHILADELPHIA, Mississippi - Philadelphia Mayor James A. Young hopes to have a new police chief in place before the new year.
KIEV, Ukraine - As thousands of anti-government protesters kept their vigil in Ukraine's capital Saturday, officials sought to reduce their anger with assurances that Russian and Ukrainian presidents didn't discuss Ukraine joining a Russian-led customs union at a meeting this week.
SHREWSBURY, Massachusetts - A Shrewsbury business owner says he is seeking the Republican nomination for governor in Massachusetts.
JOHANNESBURG - Jacob "Baby Jake" Matlala, a four-time world champion in the flyweight and junior flyweight divisions and one of Nelson Mandela's favorite fighters, has died. He was 51.
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - The Atlantic Club Casino Hotel, which hopes to sell itself at a bankruptcy court auction this month, has laid out its assets and liabilities for the court.
BANGUI, Central African Republic - Christians fearing reprisal attacks from the Muslim ex-rebels who control Central African Republic fled on foot by the thousands Saturday, as others ventured outside for the first in time in days only to bury their dead after the worst violence to rack the lawless country in months.
CAIRO - An Egyptian appeals court reduced Saturday harsh prison sentences given to 14 young Islamist women for protesting in support of the country's ousted president, reducing them to one-year suspended sentences, a defense lawyer said.
JOHANNESBURG - South Africa expects overwhelming crowds and a host of world leaders to attend services honoring late President Nelson Mandela, though with the ceremonies only days away officials acknowledged Saturday they couldn't offer any specifics.
ROCKVILLE, Maryland - Ten portable classrooms spread across the playground and grassy fields at Lucy V. Barnsley Elementary School, a sign of ever-increasing crowded schools. The Rockville campus has more students than it has capacity, so every fourth-grader spends most of the day in a trailer.
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A teenager who disappeared nearly two months ago mailed her mother a letter several weeks after she was last seen, law enforcement officials said Friday.
JUNEAU, Alaska - Gov. Sean Parnell is scheduled to unveil his budget proposal at a chamber event in Anchorage on Thursday.
PHOENIX - Authorities say four men have been arrested and 152 pounds of marijuana seized by Border Patrol agents in the mountains south of Yuma.