- Texas Senate votes to tighten teen abortion restrictions Updated: May-25-15 5:32 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - After nearly four hours of divisive debate, the Texas Senate voted along party lines Monday in favor of a Republican-backed measure that would tighten rules for teenagers unable to get the required parental consent for an abortion.
- 2 gun rights bills expected to get final votes in Texas Updated: May-25-15 5:25 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The top two gun rights bills expected to shoot through the Republican-controlled Texas Legislature, one allowing concealed handguns in college classrooms and the other permitting them to be carried in plain sight most everywhere else, have been slow going so far - and now need a final week push to become law.
- The Latest on weather: 12 missing people from 2 families Updated: May-25-15 5:07 pm
4 p.m. CDT
- Charter nears deal for Time Warner Cable Updated: May-25-15 5:04 pm
Charter Communications Inc. is close to buying Time Warner Cable for about $55 billion, two people familiar with the negotiations.
- West Yellowstone ponders $1.4M forest land purchase Updated: May-25-15 4:47 pm
WEST YELLOWSTONE, Montana - How does a town expand when it's surrounded by federal land?
- At least $155M in gaps identified in House-approved budget Updated: May-25-15 4:35 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana's state senators were told Monday that the House version of next year's budget is short at least $155 million in identified needs, with holes mainly in public health care services for the poor and uninsured.
- Porn actors say proposed safety rules go too far Updated: May-25-15 4:28 pm
LOS ANGELES - A state proposal that would roll out strict safety standards for California pornography productions to prevent the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases has drawn criticism from adult film workers who feel the regulations go too far.
- Anonymous threats against airliners prompt plane searches Updated: May-25-15 4:16 pm
NEW YORK - Anonymous telephone threats against commercial airliners, possibly from the same source, caused a scare on Monday involving four international flights at airports in New York and New Jersey.
- Woman hanging on Shell ship since Friday ends drill protest Updated: May-25-15 4:16 pm
BELLINGHAM, Washington - The woman who had been hanging off the anchor chain of a support ship that is part of Royal Dutch Shell's plans to explore for oil in the Arctic Ocean ended her dayslong protest north of Seattle on Monday morning.
- Illinois Democrats introduce proposed 2016 budget Updated: May-25-15 4:13 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois House Democrats are introducing a 2016 budget they say cuts spending more modestly than Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner's proposal.
- Obama pays tribute to fallen service members at Arlington Updated: May-25-15 4:10 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - President Barack Obama on Monday saluted Americans who died in battle, saying the country must "never stop trying to fully repay them" for their sacrifices. He noted it was the first Memorial Day in 14 years without U.S. forces engaged in a major ground war.
- Twister kills 13 in Mexico border city; 12 missing in Texas Updated: May-25-15 3:58 pm
CIUDAD ACUNA, Mexico - A tornado raged through a city on the U.S.-Mexico border Monday, destroying homes, flinging cars like matchsticks and ripping an infant from its mother's arms. At least 13 people were killed, authorities said.
- Biden reassures Iraqi prime minister of US support Updated: May-25-15 3:52 pm
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden reassured Iraq's government on Monday of U.S. support in the fight against the Islamic State group, telephoning Prime Minister Haider Al-Abadi with thanks for "the enormous sacrifice and bravery of Iraqi forces" one day after Defense Secretary Ash Carter questioned the Iraqi military commitment.
- Mexico officials stand by account of deadly ranch shootout Updated: May-25-15 3:46 pm
MORELIA, Mexico - Mexican officials stood by their account Monday of a shootout that killed 42 suspected criminals and one federal police officer last week, dismissing questions raised about the lopsided death toll.
- Kilmartin asks state to regulate marijuana oil manufacturing Updated: May-25-15 3:16 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The state's attorney general is asking the General Assembly to pass a bill prohibiting medical marijuana patients and caregivers from extracting a high-potency oil from marijuana.
- Ohio roadway project to cost nearly 3 times estimated figure Updated: May-25-15 3:13 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's largest single roadway construction project and first public-private partnership for a highway will cost taxpayers nearly three times its announced price tag of $429 million, according to financial documents.
- Delaware River mansion could be headed for wrecking ball Updated: May-25-15 3:09 pm
BURLINGTON CITY, New Jersey - After decades of neglect, the stately mansion built along the Delaware River in Burlington City for industrialist Andrew McNeal in 1890 is facing almost certain demolition.
- Beef jerky comment gets northern Idaho lawmaker a whole case Updated: May-25-15 3:05 pm
BOISE, Idaho - A northern Idaho lawmaker's comment that she could go for days at a special session of the Legislature because she brought beef jerky has prompted a Washington state company to promise to send her a case.
- Jeb Bush to get own home at family compound in Kennebunkport Updated: May-25-15 2:55 pm
KENNEBUNKPORT, Maine - Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush is getting a house of his own at the family compound on the coast of Maine where generations of Bushes have spent summers.
- US Sen. Thad Cochran marries longtime aide, his office says Updated: May-25-15 2:52 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran - the Mississippi Republican whose 2014 primary campaign drew national attention over an aspiring blogger's photos of his bedridden wife - has married his longtime aide, his office said Monday.
- Budget panel authorizes $1 DMV fee to overhaul IT system Updated: May-25-15 2:50 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Customers could soon be seeing a $1 fee at the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles as the agency raises money for a new computer system.
- Businesses quietly switch to dollar in socialist Venezuela Updated: May-25-15 2:41 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - It's still possible to buy a gleaming Ford truck in Venezuela, rent a chic apartment in Caracas, and snag an American Airlines flight to Miami. Just not in the country's official currency.
- Ending politician Austin residency rule fails to clear House Updated: May-25-15 2:38 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas House has passed - but fallen short of giving final approval to - a proposed state constitutional amendment allowing some statewide officeholders to no longer be required to live in Austin.
- Nevada case is latest to test 'stand your ground' laws Updated: May-25-15 2:35 pm
RENO, Nevada - The idea that a person's home is their castle and they have the right to kill trespassers has been widely accepted in the U.S. for more than a century.
- In Rhode Island, residents gush about paid family leave Updated: May-25-15 2:34 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - As President Barack Obama pushes for a federal law to get paid leave to care for a new baby or an ailing relative, residents of one of the three states that already provide it sing its praises, hinting at the reception it could receive if rolled out nationally.