- Germany: violent far-right crime up nearly a quarter in 2014 Updated: Jun-30-15 6:49 am
BERLIN - The German government says violent far-right crime increased by nearly a quarter last year, while authorities are concerned about an even faster rise in offenses involving homes for asylum-seekers.
- Egypt prepares for burial of slain prosecutor general Updated: Jun-30-15 6:46 am
CAIRO - Egypt deployed heavy security forces across Cairo on Tuesday amid preparations for the burial of the country's prosecutor general, killed in a car bombing the day before in the first assassination of a top Egyptian official in a quarter century.
- The Latest: Taliban claim Kabul attack on NATO convoy Updated: Jun-30-15 6:43 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - The latest news on a suicide attack in the Afghan capital targeting a NATO convoy on the Kabul airport road, near the U.S. Embassy.
- Crunch time for Greece as IMF debt looms and bailout ends Updated: Jun-30-15 6:40 am
ATHENS, Greece - It's crunch time for Greece, with the European part of its international bailout expiring Tuesday and with it any possible access to the remaining rescue loans that it needs to pay its debts.
- Saudi denies Yemen rebel claims of Scud strike Updated: Jun-30-15 6:37 am
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - The Saudi military says no Scud missiles have struck the country, rebutting claims by Yemeni rebels that they launched a missile targeting the kingdom.
- Coal industry scores a win but fate of plants still in air Updated: Jun-30-15 6:34 am
BILLINGS, Montana - Coal companies and their supporters scored a courtroom victory with a U.S. Supreme Court decision that said the Obama administration failed to take potential costs into account when it decided to regulate toxic emissions from many power plants.
- The Latest: Spain's Rajoy in warning over Greek euro exit Updated: Jun-30-15 6:31 am
ATHENS, Greece - The latest news on Greece's financial woes on a day a big repayment to the International Monetary Fund is due and the country's bailout program with European creditors ends (all times local):
- NATO: Coalition convoy targeted in suicide attack in Kabul Updated: Jun-30-15 6:29 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - A suicide attacker driving an explosives-packed vehicle targeted a NATO military convoy in the Afghan capital, Kabul, on Tuesday, police and a NATO official said.
- Rounds presents Congressional medal to late SD man's family Updated: Jun-30-15 6:25 am
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - South Dakota U.S. Sen. Mike Rounds has presented the Congressional Gold Medal to the family of a man who served as a Civil Air Patrol pilot during World War II.
- California lawmakers to hold hearing on pot farm water use Updated: Jun-30-15 6:14 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A state legislative committee will look at the impact of the drought and water use by illegal marijuana cultivators on North Coast fisheries at a hearing Wednesday in Sacramento.
- Hillary Clinton attends fundraiser in New Jersey Updated: Jun-30-15 6:11 am
RED BANK, New Jersey - Hillary Clinton was in New Jersey raising money for her presidential campaign on the night before Gov. Chris Christie launches his presidential bid.
- AP News in Brief at 5:58 a.m. EDT Updated: Jun-30-15 6:10 am
Crunch time in Greece as bailout due to expire, IMF loan due with no deal in sight
- Rome's mayor hospitalized overnight after falling ill Updated: Jun-30-15 5:52 am
ROME - The mayor of Rome has been hospitalized overnight after falling ill.
- 2 dead after man sets self on fire on Japanese bullet train Updated: Jun-30-15 5:47 am
ODAWARA, Japan - A man riding a Japanese high-speed bullet train set himself on fire Tuesday, killing himself and another passenger as the coach filled with smoke, a fire official said.
- Michigan Senate to consider 15-cent gas tax hike for roads Updated: Jun-30-15 5:43 am
LANSING, Michigan - The Michigan Senate is considering whether to raise the state gasoline tax by 15 cents a gallon to help improve roads.
- Johns Creek mayor to lead Georgia Municipal Association Updated: Jun-30-15 5:40 am
SAVANNAH, Georgia - The mayor of the Atlanta suburb of Johns Creek will serve as president of the Georgia Municipal Association.
- Spain: Greenpeace kicks off anti-'Gag Law' protests Updated: Jun-30-15 5:37 am
MADRID - A large banner defending people's right to protest loomed over Spain's Parliament on Tuesday as part of a series of protest actions against the entry into effect of the Public Security Law, known as the "gag law," at midnight.
- Sioux Falls bishop talks gay marriage ruling at service Updated: Jun-30-15 5:34 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - The bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Sioux Falls says followers should not "disown God's law" following the Supreme Court's decision giving same-sex couples the right to marry.
- Iran's FM returns to nuke talks amid signs of backtracking Updated: Jun-30-15 5:32 am
VIENNA - Iran's foreign minister returned to the nuclear talks in Vienna where negotiators are struggling to overcome still significant differences and preparing to work through Tuesday's self-imposed deadline for a deal.
- US envoy confident Australia will manage gay marriage debate Updated: Jun-30-15 5:22 am
CANBERRA, Australia - The first openly gay U.S. ambassador to Australia said on Tuesday he was confident that the "great debate" among Australians on whether to allow gay marriages would result in the best outcome for the country.
- Kansas officials await word on this month's tax collections Updated: Jun-30-15 5:05 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas officials are waiting to see whether state tax collections this month met expectations.
- UN rights office urges Thailand to free 14 student activists Updated: Jun-30-15 4:52 am
BANGKOK - The U.N. human rights office called Tuesday on Thailand to release 14 student activists and drop the charges that were filed against them for holding a peaceful anti-coup rally.
- UK police stage counter-terror training exercise in London Updated: Jun-30-15 4:51 am
LONDON - Hundreds of British police are taking part in a major counter-terror exercise in London, testing the abilities of emergency services to respond to a Tunisia-style attack of extremists with firearms.
- European stocks fall again on Greece crisis, Asia rebounds Updated: Jun-30-15 4:51 am
TOKYO - Asian stock markets bounced back Tuesday, recouping some of the previous day's sharp fall, but European indexes widened their losses as investors fretted the debt crisis in Greece could spread to other countries in the region.
- A year after Gaza war, Hamas entrenched as frustration grows Updated: Jun-30-15 4:50 am
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Emad Firi is angry. During last summer's Israel-Hamas war, a shell slammed through the roof of his house and shredded his right leg. Unable to work, Firi's son now drives his taxi but the family struggles to survive.