- Suspect in ambush of Houston-area deputy due in court Updated: Aug-31-15 5:49 am
HOUSTON - The man charged with capital murder in the fatal shooting of a uniformed suburban Houston sheriff's deputy had a lengthy criminal record going back a decade, but never spent more than short stints in jail.
- Japan seeks biggest-ever defense budget amid China concerns Updated: Aug-31-15 5:49 am
TOKYO - Japan's Defense Ministry wants to buy an advanced Aegis radar-equipped destroyer and more F-35 fighters under its largest-ever budget to bolster the defense of southern islands amid a territorial dispute with China.
- Iranian national accused of making terroristic threats Updated: Aug-31-15 5:46 am
BAY ST. LOUIS, Mississippi - Mississippi officials shut down Interstate 10 for about 3 hours after an Iranian national knocked a deputy to the ground and claimed his vehicle contained explosives.
- Eurozone inflation stable at annual rate of 0.2 percent Updated: Aug-31-15 5:37 am
BRUSSELS - Official figures show inflation in the 19-nation eurozone was stable in August at an annual rate of 0.2 percent.
- Thai police seek 2 new suspects in Bangkok bombing probe Updated: Aug-31-15 5:31 am
BANGKOK - Thai police issued arrest warrants Monday for two more suspects, a Thai woman and a foreign man of unknown nationality, and released their images in the widening investigation into Bangkok's deadly bombing two weeks ago that yielded its first arrest over the weekend.
- Syrian official: Amount of damage at Palmyra temple unclear Updated: Aug-31-15 5:25 am
BEIRUT - A Syrian official in charge of antiquities said Monday his government has not been able to determine how much damage an explosion near the ancient Temple of Bel caused the ancient structure in the militant-controlled city of Palmyra.
- New Alaska Moose Federation Director to reign in budget Updated: Aug-31-15 5:17 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The new executive director of the Alaska Moose Federation says he will focus on reigning in both the organization's finances and mission.
- Bremerton considers allowing fire chief to ban fireworks Updated: Aug-31-15 5:14 am
BREMERTON, Washington - The Bremerton City Council will vote Wednesday to give the city's fire chief the authority to ban fireworks.
- Greenwood aims for strict development at new interchange Updated: Aug-31-15 5:07 am
GREENWOOD, Indiana - When you get off Interstate 65 at a new Greenwood exit, don't expect to find truck stops, fast-food restaurants and multiple gas stations.
- From creativity to corruption, Mandel was a political force Updated: Aug-31-15 4:43 am
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - A colorful and complex figure in Maryland politics, Marvin Mandel was seen by some as an innovator who reorganized state government to be more efficient. For others, he was forever stained by his conviction for selling the powers of office.
- Police: Man threatens officers with screwdriver at hospital Updated: Aug-31-15 4:43 am
WICHITA, Kansas - A 35-year-old man has been arrested after authorities say he tried to assault police officers with a screwdriver at a Wichita hospital.
- Mississippi surgeon appeals tax evasion conviction Updated: Aug-31-15 4:37 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - A Mississippi orthopedic surgeon has appealed his income tax evasion conviction to a federal appeals court in New Orleans.
- US Sen. Graham speaking to Spartanburg-area Rotary Club Updated: Aug-31-15 4:23 am
SPARTANBURG, South Carolina - U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham is visiting Spartanburg to discuss radical Islam.
- N. Carolina justices take another look at 2011 redistricting Updated: Aug-31-15 4:22 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A U.S. Supreme Court ruling has brought foes over how North Carolina congressional and General Assembly boundaries were drawn back to North Carolina's highest court.
- Afghan Taliban offer leader's biography amid power struggle Updated: Aug-31-15 4:19 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - The Afghan Taliban published a biography of their new leader Monday as hundreds of insurgents met to resolve a dispute over his appointment following the death of figurehead Mullah Mohammad Omar.
- Man's appeal in death of junkyard owner to be heard Updated: Aug-31-15 4:17 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi Supreme Court will hear an appeal from Jeffrey Grey Allen, who is serving a life sentence for his role in the 2011 fatal shooting of a Moss Point junkyard owner.
- EXCHANGE: First house in Plainfield example of preservation Updated: Aug-31-15 4:10 am
PLAINFIELD, Illinois - John and Keebie Bright's new home in Plainfield is filled with antiques.
- Calcasieu Parish schools raise $38K in slain trooper's honor Updated: Aug-31-15 4:10 am
LAKE CHARLES, Louisiana - Calcasieu Parish students have raised nearly $38,300 for the Louisiana State Troopers Association in honor of Steven Vincent, the state trooper killed last week.
- Lawmakers continue work on future of Sununu Center Updated: Aug-31-15 4:08 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Having ruled out the possibility of closure, lawmakers are studying ideas for expanding or repurposing part of the state's only secure juvenile detention center.
- Department of Education rolls out mobile app Updated: Aug-31-15 4:07 am
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indiana Department of Education is rolling out a new mobile app intended to make communication between school officials and parents easier.
- Lake Station mayor, wife going on trial in federal court Updated: Aug-31-15 3:52 am
HAMMOND, Indiana - The mayor of a northwestern Indiana city and his wife are going on trial on federal charges of conspiracy, wire fraud and filing false tax returns.
- Arctic chills, messy energy politics await Obama in Alaska Updated: Aug-31-15 3:24 am
WASHINGTON - Shrinking glaciers, Arctic temperatures and a mix of messy energy politics await President Barack Obama as he begins his historic trip to Alaska.
- Manager of Atlantic City tram car system unhappy with city Updated: Aug-31-15 3:16 am
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - The manager of the company responsible for operating Atlantic City's boardwalk tram cars is blaming city officials for his financial woes.
- 200 to graduate from NY State Police Academy Updated: Aug-31-15 3:08 am
ALBANY, New York - The New York State Police is set to welcome nearly 200 new troopers to its ranks.
- Goodell, Brady due in court for 'Deflategate' case Updated: Aug-31-15 2:21 am
NEW YORK - NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady are expected back in a New York courtroom after failing to settle the "Deflategate" case.