- Kerry hopes to win pause in Yemen war as he heads to talks Updated: May-06-15 8:56 am
DJIBOUTI - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said he hopes to secure a pause in Yemen's war as he prepared for talks in Saudi Arabia Wednesday, citing increased shortages of food, fuel and medicine that are adding to a crisis that already has neighboring countries bracing for a mass exodus of refugees.
- Weak US jobs data keeps stock markets in check Updated: May-06-15 8:55 am
SEOUL, South Korea - Weak U.S. economic reports kept stocks in check on Wednesday, though European markets continued to trade higher and Wall Street was expected to rise on the open. Asian markets closed lower earlier.
- Bosnian police launch raids against Islamic extremism Updated: May-06-15 8:49 am
BANJA LUKA, Bosnia-Herzegovina - Bosnian Serb authorities say they detained several people linked to radical Islamic movements and suspected of recruiting potential fighters for the Islamic State group.
- East Africa Community tries to mend Burundi turmoil Updated: May-06-15 8:46 am
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - A Kenyan official says ministers from the East African Community have travelled to Burundi to help seek a solution for the political unrest caused by Burundian President Pierre Nkurunziza's second re-election bid.
- EU moves to help tech companies compete with US giants Updated: May-06-15 8:46 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union has unveiled a long-term strategy to help its technology companies compete with U.S. giants like Google and Amazon by unifying the continent's digital sector and taking a hard line on abuses by dominant firms.
- Iran to release seized Maersk vessel after it pays fine Updated: May-06-15 8:43 am
TEHRAN, Iran - A Marshal Islands-flagged cargo vessel seized by Iranian forces as it was traversing the Strait of Hormuz last month will likely be released in two days, after it pays a fine, Iran's Foreign Ministry spokeswoman said Wednesday.
- Yemen's Shiite rebels take another neighborhood in Aden Updated: May-06-15 8:40 am
SANAA, Yemen - Yemeni officials say Shiite rebels and their allies have seized another part of the southern port city of Aden after heavy fighting with militiamen loyal to the exiled government.
- Navajo Nation certifies results from presidential election Updated: May-06-15 8:40 am
WINDOW ROCK, Arizona - Final results from the Navajo Nation presidential election show Russell Begaye winning nearly 63 percent of the vote to defeat Joe Shirley Jr.
- Woman accused of biting officer at San Diego border crossing Updated: May-06-15 8:40 am
SAN DIEGO - Federal officials say a woman was arrested on suspicion of biting a Customs and Border Protection officer who stopped her as she tried to enter the U.S. by walking through the vehicle lanes at a San Diego border crossing.
- 'Buffer bully'? Dayton says won't relent in clean water push Updated: May-06-15 8:40 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Gov. Mark Dayton has been labeled "the buffer bully" and run into severe resistance with a plan requiring farmers to leave more space between cropland and sensitive waterways.
- Voters OK $4.6M jail project for Winnebago County Updated: May-06-15 8:39 am
MASON CITY, Iowa - Voters have approved a $4.6 million bond sale to build a public safety center in Winnebago County.
- Police in China fatally shoot man seeking aid for family Updated: May-06-15 8:38 am
BEIJING - Police fatally shot a man in northern China who was on his way to Beijing to ask the central government to help house and take care of his children and elderly mother, police and a lawyer said Wednesday.
- Germany: 4 arrests in alleged plot to attack Islamic targets Updated: May-06-15 8:31 am
BERLIN - German authorities conducted raids across the country on Wednesday, seizing explosives and arresting four people accused of founding a right-wing extremist group to attack mosques and housing for asylum seekers.
- Syrian president acknowledges recent 'setbacks' in war Updated: May-06-15 8:31 am
BEIRUT - Syrian President Bashar Assad acknowledged on Wednesday what he said were recent "setbacks" in the war against rebels trying to topple him, promising a comeback by his troops entangled in heavy fighting with rebels in northern Syria.
- Opposition, rights groups say Iranian activist detained Updated: May-06-15 8:25 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Iranian opposition websites and rights groups focused on the country say prominent human rights activist Narges Mohammadi has been arrested by state security forces.
- Military leaders from Benin and Togo visiting North Dakota Updated: May-06-15 8:24 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Officials from the African nations of Benin and Togo are in North Dakota this week to further their relationship with the North Dakota National Guard.
- Gunman's hashtag hinted at Texas plot Updated: May-06-15 8:23 am
PHOENIX - About 20 minutes before the shooting at a Texas cartoon contest that featured images of the Prophet Muhammad, a final tweet posted on an account linked to one of the gunmen said: "May Allah accept us as mujahideen," or holy warriors.
- Allegheny council gives 'F' to restaurant letter grades plan Updated: May-06-15 8:19 am
PITTSBURGH - Allegheny County Council has given an "F'' to a plan to grade restaurants using letters, instead of the pass-fail system currently in use.
- Trenton police recruit resigns after getting second chance Updated: May-06-15 8:16 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - A police recruit in New Jersey who was expelled after he was caught cheating has resigned after getting a second chance.
- Pa. school candidate loses GOP support over offensive posts Updated: May-06-15 8:07 am
NORRISTOWN, Pennsylvania - A suburban Philadelphia school board candidate has lost a party endorsement after racist and anti-Semitic posts appeared under his name on social media.
- Service set for Corpus Christi police chief killed in wreck Updated: May-06-15 8:04 am
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Two services will be held in Texas to remember Corpus Christi police Chief Floyd Simpson who died following an off-duty motorcycle wreck.
- Legislators to hear from state's top economic official Updated: May-06-15 7:52 am
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - An Arkansas legislative committee is scheduled to hear from the state's top economic official.
- Greece makes IMF payment but another, bigger one looms Updated: May-06-15 7:49 am
ATHENS, Greece - With Greece's cash flow problems growing by the day and negotiations with its creditors on the ropes, Athens managed to make a 200 million euro ($222 million) repayment to the International Monetary Fund on Wednesday.
- Philippines says notorious bomb-maker killed by rebels Updated: May-06-15 7:44 am
MANILA, Philippines - A Filipino bomb-maker who was one of the country's top terror suspects was killed by Muslim rebels who earlier signed a peace deal with the government, the Philippine military said Wednesday.
- Pastors promote nonviolence ahead of police shooting verdict Updated: May-06-15 7:44 am
CLEVELAND - Religious leaders in Cleveland are planning to open what they call "nonviolent centers" as the community prepares for a verdict in the case of a police officer charged in the fatal shooting of two unarmed citizens.