- South Sudan forms new coalition government of national unity Updated: Apr-29-16 8:07 am
JUBA, South Sudan - South Sudan's leaders have formed a transitional coalition government including politicians from the government and the armed opposition who have been at war for two and a half years.
- Italy's anti-terror chief: nabbed quartet were 'dangerous' Updated: Apr-29-16 8:05 am
ROME - Italy's top anti-terror prosecutor says four suspects arrested in northern Italy were "very dangerous."
- Former sheriff waits for chance to serve on criminal jury Updated: Apr-29-16 8:03 am
MOUNT CLEMENS, Michigan - Former Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel will have to keep waiting if he wants to find out what it's like to serve on a criminal jury.
- Eurozone economy speeds up, reaches size it was back in 2008 Updated: Apr-29-16 7:57 am
LONDON - It's been a long and tortuous journey, but the eurozone economy is finally back to the size it was before the global financial crisis.
- Memorial set for 25 WWII US soldiers lost in Italian lake Updated: Apr-29-16 7:57 am
ALBANY, New York - A trio of U.S. Army veterans has teamed up to establish a memorial in Italy to the 25 American soldiers who drowned in an Alpine lake when their amphibious vehicle sank during World War II.
- Scandal-plagued, Rome is becoming a 'do it yourself' city Updated: Apr-29-16 7:55 am
ROME - Armed with shovels and sacks of cold asphalt, Rome's residents fill potholes. Defying rats, they yank weeds and bag trash along the Tiber's banks and in urban parks. Tired of waiting years for the city to replace diseased trees, neighbors dig into their own pockets to pay for new ones for their block.
- Poland again denies entry to nationalist Russian bikers Updated: Apr-29-16 7:54 am
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's foreign minister says "security regulations" were behind the decision to ban pro-Kremlin Russian bikers from riding through Poland as they mark the anniversary of the end of World War II.
- South Africa: Court says charges against Zuma to be reviewed Updated: Apr-29-16 7:52 am
PRETORIA, South Africa - A South African court has ruled that a decision to drop 738 corruption charges against President Jacob Zuma should be reviewed, adding to the leader's legal troubles.
- The Latest: Biden meets with Vatican secretary of state Updated: Apr-29-16 7:47 am
VATICAN CITY - The Latest on Vice President Joe Biden's visit to Vatican City and Rome (all times local):
- Voting underway in key runoff parliamentary election in Iran Updated: Apr-29-16 7:44 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iranians voted Friday in the country's parliamentary runoff elections, state media reported, a key polling that is expected to decide exactly how much power moderate forces backing President Hassan Rouhani will have in the next legislature.
- Sri Lankan protest demands new probe of journalist's killing Updated: Apr-29-16 7:42 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Hundreds of journalists and media rights activists have protested to demand Sri Lanka's government start a fresh investigation into the abduction and killing of a prominent ethnic Tamil journalist 11 years ago, during the country's civil war.
- Parts of India ban daytime cooking as hundreds die of heat Updated: Apr-29-16 7:39 am
PATNA, India - With sizzling temperatures claiming more than 300 lives this month in India, officials said Friday they were banning daytime cooking in some parts of the drought-stricken country in a bid to prevent accidental fires that have killed nearly 80 more people.
- At the Vatican, Biden calls for global commitment to cancer Updated: Apr-29-16 7:38 am
VATICAN CITY - Casting cancer as a scourge with no boundaries, Vice President Joe Biden came to the Vatican on Friday to call for a global commitment to fund cancer research rooted in appreciation for the real people's lives that doctors and researchers hold in their hands.
- The Latest: Syrian TV: Rebels shell Aleppo mosque, kill 15 Updated: Apr-29-16 7:36 am
BEIRUT - The Latest on developments in Syria's civil war (all times local):
- Man admits to illegally voting in both Kansas, Nebraska Updated: Apr-29-16 7:31 am
HAYS, Kansas - A man who voted illegally in both Kansas and Nebraska in 2012 has been fined $5,500.
- Kasich PAC's web ads target delegates with vision of victory Updated: Apr-29-16 7:29 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A super PAC backing Ohio Gov. John Kasich took its case for his presidential nomination directly to delegates this week in an unusual web ad.
- Former SS Auschwitz guard apologizes at trial in Germany Updated: Apr-29-16 7:26 am
DETMOLD, Germany - A 94-year-old former SS sergeant has told a German court he is "ashamed" that he served as a guard in the Nazis' Auschwitz death camp and that he knew what was going on there but did nothing to stop it.
- Spain: Park workers discover huge Roman coin trove Updated: Apr-29-16 7:19 am
MADRID - Workers laying pipes in a southern Spanish park have unearthed a 600-kilogram (1,300-pound) trove of Roman coins in what culture officials say is a unique historic discovery.
- Synthetic pesticide task force proposed in Portland Updated: Apr-29-16 7:11 am
PORTLAND, Maine - Portland City Council's Energy and Sustainability Committee voted in favor of creating a task force to consider restricting the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilizer in the city.
- Tennessee ACLU, family sue over teen solitary confinement Updated: Apr-29-16 7:04 am
MURFREESBORO, Tennessee - The American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee has joined a lawsuit against the Department of Children's Services and the Rutherford County Juvenile Detention Center to end the use of solitary confinement for children.
- Detroit schools again get inspector general to combat fraud Updated: Apr-29-16 6:51 am
DETROIT - Detroit's financially troubled school district has brought back an inspector general to combat fraud and misconduct after a federal investigation into bribery and kickbacks ensnared a dozen principals and an administrator.
- Indiana's 2nd longest serving justice heads into retirement Updated: Apr-29-16 6:46 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Supreme Court Justice Brent Dickson is heading into retirement after more than 30 years on the bench.
- After brief lull, new air raids over Syrian city of Aleppo Updated: Apr-29-16 6:45 am
BEIRUT - After a brief morning lull, Syrian government warplanes launched fresh airstrikes Friday targeting rebel-held parts of Aleppo, raising fears of more casualties after days of carnage that propelled the contested northern city once again as a main battlefield in Syria's devastating civil war.
- Fights follow Trump rally in Southern Cal, about 20 arrested Updated: Apr-29-16 6:44 am
COSTA MESA, California - Raucous protesters and supporters of Donald Trump took to the streets in California leading to some 20 arrests as the Republican presidential contender brought his campaign to conservative Orange County after sweeping the Northeast GOP primaries.
- French politicians decry violence at Nuit Debout protest Updated: Apr-29-16 6:28 am
PARIS - French politicians have decried the violence which erupted at the margins of anti-labor reform protests in Paris and other French cities.