- Bill that bans abortion in SC past 19 weeks returns to House Updated: May-27-15 6:40 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The fate of a bill banning abortion past 19 weeks in South Carolina is once again in the House's hands.
- Abrahamson appeals order allowing her to be replaced Updated: May-27-15 6:39 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice Shirley Abrahamson has appealed a federal court ruling temporarily denying her attempt to remain as chief justice.
- US high court: California county drug disposal law stands Updated: May-27-15 6:35 pm
OAKLAND, California - The U.S. Supreme Court is letting a Northern California county's drug disposal law stand, paving the way for similar ordinances elsewhere.
- Appeals court upholds conviction of ex-NYC councilman Updated: May-27-15 6:34 pm
NEW YORK - A former New York City councilman was properly convicted of conspiracy and fraud charges, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday.
- US won't seek high court review in immigration case Updated: May-27-15 6:32 pm
WASHINGTON - The government will not ask the Supreme Court to review a judge's decision that put on hold President Barack Obama's executive action on immigration, the Justice Department said Wednesday.
- Budget writers uphold changes to public risk pool oversight Updated: May-27-15 6:32 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - The New Hampshire Secretary of State's office plans to continue fighting a proposal in the Senate's budget that takes away its authority to monitor the state's public risk pools.
- Lawyer: Confinement of chimps for research akin to slavery Updated: May-27-15 6:31 pm
NEW YORK - A lawyer seeking to free two chimpanzees from a state university told a judge Wednesday that their confinement for research purposes is akin to slavery, the involuntary detention of people with mental illnesses and imprisonment.
- Committee approves prevailing wage repeal bill Updated: May-27-15 6:29 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The Assembly Labor Committee has approved a measure that would eliminate Wisconsin's prevailing wage law.
- California city makes water, milk default in kids' meals Updated: May-27-15 6:29 pm
DAVIS, California - A Northern California city says it's taking a stand against obesity, by making milk or water the default drink in kids' meals.
- Budget committee tweaks Walker's long-term care proposals Updated: May-27-15 6:29 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Republicans who control the Legislature's budget committee planned Wednesday to adopt Gov. Scott Walker's plan to expand the Family Care program and incorporate elements of the IRIS program into it, pushing aside pleas from minority Democrats and advocates for the disabled to leave both programs alone.
- Analysis: Against IS, airstrikes may not suffice Updated: May-27-15 6:28 pm
BAGHDAD - It's the modern era's military strategy of choice: overwhelming air power delivering precision-guided punishment backed by intelligence on the ground, with minimal exposure for soldiers of the striking side.
- 'Moral Monday' supporters to hold rally near Legislature Updated: May-27-15 6:28 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Speakers addressed Medicaid expansion and environmental justice issues during a rally opposing policies originating from Republicans in charge of North Carolina government.
- Norway's king opens Arctic drilling conference in Alaska Updated: May-27-15 6:27 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Norway's king opened a conference on Arctic offshore drilling Wednesday with a plug for incorporating his country's expertise into drilling off Alaska's northern shores.
- Senate-backed medical marijuana bill advancing in House Updated: May-27-15 6:19 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Medical marijuana advocates have done this year what they failed to do in the past: push to the brink of final passage a bill that could finally make good on Louisiana's 1991 medicinal pot law.
- Illinois Senate rejects Rauner's priorities, advances budget Updated: May-27-15 6:18 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Democrats agreed to give some of Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner's priority reforms a platform Wednesday but still voted them down in an exercise that could further fuel a politically charged standoff extending into the summer.
- New York steps up crude-by-rail spill response, monitoring Updated: May-27-15 6:17 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York's Department of Environmental Conservation says it's stepping up air monitoring at the Port of Albany and enhancing spill response capabilities along rail corridors to reduce health and environmental risks stemming from crude oil transport through the state.
- Detective: Canada diplomat's son made threats after shootout Updated: May-27-15 6:13 pm
MIAMI - A Miami detective testified Wednesday he was spit upon and threatened with violence by the teenage son of a prominent Canadian diplomat after an alleged drug-related shootout that killed the boy's older brother.
- Pentagon: Military mistakenly shipped live anthrax samples Updated: May-27-15 6:12 pm
WASHINGTON - The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday it is investigating what the Pentagon called an inadvertent shipment of live anthrax spores to government and commercial laboratories in as many as nine states, as well as one overseas, that expected to receive dead spores.
- Soccer officials indicted in sweeping corruption probe Updated: May-27-15 6:11 pm
ZURICH - The U.S. government launched an attack on what it called deep-seated and brazen corruption in soccer's global governing body Wednesday, pulling FIFA executives out of a luxury Swiss hotel to face racketeering charges and raiding regional offices in Miami.
- FCC takes aim at annoying telemarketing calls Updated: May-27-15 6:00 pm
WASHINGTON - Those automated phone calls during the dinner hour, late at night or to your wireless phone can be so frustrating - and the government is taking note.
- Ex-FIFA vice president Warner arrested, granted $2.5M bail Updated: May-27-15 5:57 pm
PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad - Former FIFA vice president Jack Warner was expected to spend Wednesday night in jail after surrendering when police issued an arrest warrant at the request of U.S. authorities, who filed corruption charges against him and 13 others tied to international soccer.
- Ex-LAPD detective sentenced for having child pornography Updated: May-27-15 5:53 pm
LOS ANGELES - A retired Los Angeles police detective who kept hundreds of child pornography images on his computer won't be going to prison.
- Senate panel passes bill extending statute of limitations Updated: May-27-15 5:53 pm
SALEM, Oregon - A Senate committee has approved a measure extending Oregon's statute of limitations on certain sexual assault crimes to 12 years. It's now six.
- Nebraska abolishes death penalty in landmark override vote Updated: May-27-15 5:50 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska abolished the death penalty on Wednesday over the governor's objections in a move pushed through the Legislature with unusual backing from conservatives who oppose capital punishment.
- AP sources: IRS believes identity thieves from Russia Updated: May-27-15 5:49 pm
WASHINGTON - IRS investigators believe the identity thieves who stole the personal tax information of more than 100,000 taxpayers from an IRS website are part of a sophisticated criminal operation based in Russia, two officials told the Associated Press.