- Pig, goat - what's next for Detroit-area police department? Updated: Jul-02-15 2:30 pm
SHELBY TOWNSHIP, Michigan - A Detroit-area police department says it's keeping animal control handlers on speed dial.
- Federal government to step up bird flu monitoring this fall Updated: Jul-02-15 2:28 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The federal government announced plans Thursday to step up monitoring wild birds for avian influenza this fall to provide an early warning of any resurgence of a disease that devastated poultry farms in the Upper Midwest.
- State Senate passes bill ending zoning protest petitions Updated: Jul-02-15 2:28 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A bill that would weaken the power of North Carolina homeowners to petition against zoning changes in their neighborhoods is closer to becoming law following a vote in the General Assembly.
- Arkansas ends budget year with larger surplus than expected Updated: Jul-02-15 2:27 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas finance officials say three months of good tax returns and several pots of one-time money have left the state with a larger surplus than expected.
- 5 candidates for Salt Lake City mayor hold 1st debate Updated: Jul-02-15 2:27 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The four challengers hoping to unseat Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker this November used their first mayoral debate Wednesday to hammer the two-term mayor over his handling of recent sexual assault allegations at the police department and problems with the city's homeless population.
- Documents: Mexican army ordered troops to 'kill criminals' Updated: Jul-02-15 2:26 pm
MEXICO CITY - A Mexican human rights group on Thursday released what it says are military documents that show high-ranking officers had given soldiers standing orders to kill criminals ahead of an army mass slaying of suspected criminals who had surrendered.
- Police: Recovered bodies could be those of missing couple Updated: Jul-02-15 2:23 pm
MARICOPA, Arizona - The bodies of a man and woman believed to be those of a Phoenix-area couple missing for more than a week were recovered from a property near their home, and a man was arrested, authorities said Thursday.
- Otter appoints new judge to Idaho Court of Appeals Updated: Jul-02-15 2:21 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter has appointed 3rd District Judge Molly J. Huskey to the Idaho Court of Appeals.
- Immigration detention center expands in Southern California Updated: Jul-02-15 2:21 pm
SANTA ANA, California - Immigration authorities will expand a Southern California detention facility to get more bed space for women with criminal records, immigrants with medical needs, recently arrived asylum seekers and other detainees.
- Kansas governor pondering religious objections legislation Updated: Jul-02-15 2:21 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Republican Gov. Sam Brownback said Thursday that he's considering proposing a new religious objections law for Kansas following the U.S. Supreme Court's legalization of gay marriage, and he defended his administration's cautious response to the ruling.
- The Latest: Hundreds await Obama's address on economy Updated: Jul-02-15 2:20 pm
LA CROSSE, Wisconsin - The latest on President Barack Obama's visit to La Crosse, Wisconsin, on Thursday (all times local):
- 3 Supreme Court justices maintain substantial stock holdings Updated: Jul-02-15 2:20 pm
WASHINGTON - New personal financial disclosures from the Supreme Court show that Chief Justice John Roberts and two other justices are maintaining significant investments in individual companies' stock.
- Gulf states reach $18.7B settlement with BP over oil spill Updated: Jul-02-15 2:19 pm
NEW ORLEANS - BP and five Gulf states announced a record $18.7 billion settlement Thursday that resolves years of legal fighting over the environmental and economic damage done by the energy giant's oil spill in 2010.
- Feds: NYC mailman's scheme delivers $1M in bogus tax refunds Updated: Jul-02-15 2:15 pm
NEW YORK - Federal prosecutors say they have charged a New York City mail carrier with stealing over $1 million through a scheme that delivered bogus tax refunds.
- Top US diplomat in Cuba on short list for new embassy Updated: Jul-02-15 2:14 pm
HAVANA - From his office high above Havana, Jeffrey DeLaurentis has a sweeping view of the cerulean Florida Straits and the blood-red letters declaring Cuba's defiance of the United States.
- Obama's counterterrorism policy facing mounting criticism Updated: Jul-02-15 2:10 pm
WASHINGTON - At the CIA's Counterterrorism Center, it was a cause for celebration: Meticulous intelligence analysis backed by Hellfire missiles had paid off, once again.
- North Carolina goes home for 1-week break despite criticism Updated: Jul-02-15 2:08 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina General Assembly has gone home for a weeklong break even as the House and Senate face a chasm between their proposals on the already overdue state budget.
- Woman in Mormon church photo voices support for gay marriage Updated: Jul-02-15 2:06 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Mormon woman whose photograph was used by her church last week on a webpage explaining the faith's belief that marriage should be between a man and woman says she supports the legalization of gay marriage.
- Omaha fines company $100,000 for delayed waste pickup Updated: Jul-02-15 2:05 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - The city of Omaha fined a Kansas-based company $100,000 after complaints about delayed yard waste pickup.
- The case for Greece: when it forgave Germany's debt Updated: Jul-02-15 2:05 pm
LONDON - Forgiving debt, if done right, can get an economy back on its feet.
- Federal judge to Louisiana: Make gay marriage changes now Updated: Jul-02-15 2:04 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A federal district judge says Louisiana must let same-sex couples marry and file joint income-tax returns, and must put both parents' names on their children's birth certificates.
- Highlights of Wisconsin budget up for final committee vote Updated: Jul-02-15 2:04 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The two-year state budget up for passage Thursday by the Republican-controlled Joint Finance Committee is expected to be taken up by the Assembly on Tuesday. It's unknown when the Senate will vote on it. Republican Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald said Wednesday that he does not have the votes for the budget in its current form.
- Maryland governor out of hospital after 1st round of chemo Updated: Jul-02-15 2:03 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan is out of the hospital and back at work after his first round of chemotherapy for an aggressive form of cancer.
- UN observers say Burundi elections on Monday were not free Updated: Jul-02-15 2:02 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A U.N. observer mission has concluded that Burundi's parliamentary elections on Monday were not "free, credible and inclusive."
- Iran takes hard line on inspections, sanctions at nuke talks Updated: Jul-02-15 1:59 pm
VIENNA - Iran took a hard line Thursday on two of the biggest demands of world powers in a final nuclear accord, rejecting any extraordinary inspection rules and threatening to ramp up enrichment of bomb-making material if the United States and other countries re-impose sanctions after the deal is in place.