- Where's death penalty in push for criminal justice overhaul? Updated: Nov-26-15 9:41 am
WASHINGTON - Even as President Barack Obama tries to make a hard case for overhauling sentences, rehabilitating prisoners and confronting racial bias in policing, he has been less clear about the death penalty.
- The Latest: Pope tells clergy to serve others Updated: Nov-26-15 9:38 am
NAIROBI, Kenya -
- Bill would restrict some Ohio villages' ticketing practices Updated: Nov-26-15 9:35 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - State lawmakers are trying to prevent some Ohio villages from accepting direct payments for traffic-related violations.
- Thai police allege armed plot by government opponents Updated: Nov-26-15 9:30 am
BANGKOK - Thai police said Thursday they have uncovered a plot by opponents of the military government involving an armed attack during upcoming events commemorating the country's monarchy.
- Cameron: UK must attack IS in Syria to deny group safe haven Updated: Nov-26-15 9:29 am
LONDON - British Prime Minister David Cameron tried to persuade reluctant lawmakers to back airstrikes on the Islamic State group in Syria, saying Thursday that the Paris attacks have given the fight new urgency and Britain owes it to key allies to act.
- Ohio hospitals already preparing for GOP National Convention Updated: Nov-26-15 9:28 am
CLEVELAND - Hospitals around Cleveland are beginning to prepare for next year's Republican National Convention and an influx of up to 50,000 visitors.
- New Polish defense minister casts doubt on purchase plans Updated: Nov-26-15 9:27 am
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's new defense minister says the country may back out of plans to purchase French military helicopters and a U.S. Patriot missile system.
- The Latest: Authorities carry out raid in southern Belgium Updated: Nov-26-15 9:16 am
PARIS - The latest on the attacks in Paris and security alert in Brussels. All times local:
- Police: Shooting kills 1, wounds 3 outside Fenway Park Updated: Nov-26-15 9:13 am
BOSTON - Police have tightened security around Boston's iconic Fenway Park after one person was killed and three others wounded in an early morning shooting.
- GOP gov. candidate 'more comfortable' with refugee vetting Updated: Nov-26-15 9:10 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - One of the Vermont Republicans seeking his party's nomination to run for governor next year says he's become more comfortable with the vetting of Syrian refugees after learning more about the process.
- NY Gov. Cuomo warns holiday shoppers about identity theft Updated: Nov-26-15 9:08 am
ALBANY, New York - With the return of the holiday shopping season New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is warning consumers to be on the look-out for charity scams, identity theft and offers that are just too good to be true.
- The Latest: Turkish official hopes for good Russia relations Updated: Nov-26-15 9:07 am
BEIRUT - The latest developments regarding the war in Syria. All times local.
- Turkey releases recording of warnings to Russian plane Updated: Nov-26-15 9:06 am
Turkey has released audio recordings of what it says are the Turkish military€™s repeated warnings to the pilot of the Russian plane before it was shot down at the border with Syria _ audio that grows increasingly more agitated.
- Maryland crime reporting platform pushing for more openness Updated: Nov-26-15 9:05 am
BALTIMORE - With crime stories being a fixture of the daily news cycle, people often wonder what kind of crimes are taking place in their own neighborhood. When Colin Drane moved to Baltimore in 2000, he had the same question.
- Nigeria: Boko Haram cannot be crushed by December Updated: Nov-26-15 9:02 am
LAGOS, Nigeria - Nigeria's military cannot meet the president's December deadline to crush Boko Haram's Islamic uprising, and Nigerians must expect suicide bombings to continue, a government spokesman said Thursday.
- Philippine forces kill 8 suspected to have IS sympathies Updated: Nov-26-15 8:57 am
MANILA, Philippines - Philippine marines killed eight suspected sympathizers of the Islamic State group in a clash in the southern Philippines on Thursday, seizing bomb-making equipment, assault rifles and black flags, military officials said.
- State officials offer tips for a safe Thanksgiving Updated: Nov-26-15 8:51 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island officials are offering tips to help residents celebrate Thanksgiving safely.
- Nepal asks India to investigate shooting by border guards Updated: Nov-26-15 8:30 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Nepal asked India on Thursday to investigate a shooting by border guards that has wounded at least four people and to punish those involved.
- Algeria's ex-counter-espionage chief to go on trial Updated: Nov-26-15 8:09 am
ALGIERS, Algeria - Algeria's longtime counterespionage chief who helped lead the country's war on Islamist extremists went before a military tribunal Thursday for an unusual trial.
- Chicago schools prepare lesson plan on teen's shooting Updated: Nov-26-15 8:06 am
CHICAGO - Officials of Chicago Public Schools say they're preparing for the fallout resulting from the video showing a police officer shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.
- Qatar launches probe after rains exposed poor construction Updated: Nov-26-15 7:46 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Qatar has launched an investigation after heavy rains exposed poor construction in a country set to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup, a deluge that saw water cascade through the roof of its $15 billion main airport.
- The Latest: Norway starts ID checks at the border Updated: Nov-26-15 7:43 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The latest on the mass movement of asylum-seekers and others seeking refuge in Europe. All times local:
- Iran diplomat missing since Saudi hajj stampede found dead Updated: Nov-26-15 7:43 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran says a senior diplomat missing since the Saudi hajj stampede in September has been found dead.
- South Korea: VW rigged emissions in 125,000 diesel vehicles Updated: Nov-26-15 7:34 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea said Thursday it fined Volkswagen $12.3 million and ordered recalls of 125,522 diesel vehicles after the government found their emissions tests were rigged.
- Polish experts analyzing data concerning alleged Nazi train Updated: Nov-26-15 7:33 am
WARSAW, Poland - A Polish mining academy says its experts are analyzing data gathered from a site allegedly hiding a Nazi train, which local lore says is laden with gold.