- Former director decries Arizona energy office's closure Updated: Aug-29-15 6:37 pm
PHOENIX - The closure of the Arizona governor's energy office leaves the state with a significant void in resources, its former director said.
- Immigration shift shows India, China outpacing Mexico Updated: Aug-29-15 6:05 pm
DALLAS - Siddharth Jaganath wanted to return to India after earning his master's degree at Texas' Southern Methodist University. Instead, he built a new life in the U.S. over a decade, becoming a manager at a communications technology company and starting a family in the Dallas suburb of Plano.
- Fed Vice Chair Fischer keeps open possibility of Sept. hike Updated: Aug-29-15 4:33 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Stanley Fischer left the door open Saturday for a Fed rate increase in September, saying the factors that have kept inflation below the central bank's target level have likely begun to fade.
- GOP Senate candidates slam Obama, "Washington Republicans" Updated: Aug-29-15 2:01 pm
TAMPA, Florida - They railed against the Obama administration's foreign policy. They scolded "Washington Republicans." And they decried the $18 trillion national debt and the dysfunction of a Congress that cannot get anything done.
- Wyoming Ethanol to suspend operations Updated: Aug-29-15 1:17 pm
TORRINGTON, Wyoming - The only ethanol plant in Wyoming will shut down because it can't compete with lower gasoline prices, an official says.
- Experts say tough talk on China overlooks economic realities Updated: Aug-29-15 3:17 am
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - If there was ever a week for the Republican presidential candidates to talk tough on China, this was it. Spurred by the stock market's wild ride, they lashed out at the world's most populous nation.
- Parliament group regrets Russian speaker's no show Updated: Aug-28-15 8:20 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The Inter-Parliamentary Union expressed regret Friday that the speaker of Russia's upper house of Parliament will not be attending a world congress at the United Nations next week, apparently because of issues with her visa to the United States.
- Calm on Wall Street: A turbulent week ends on a placid note Updated: Aug-28-15 7:04 pm
Well, that was exciting.
- Beatrice leaders consider proposed housing program Updated: Aug-28-15 5:43 pm
BEATRICE, Nebraska - Several Beatrice leaders are proposing a housing program to help address what some in the community see as a lack of available homes within the city.
- UN warns South Sudan of sanctions if peace deal isn't kept Updated: Aug-28-15 5:43 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council warned South Sudan's feuding president and ex-vice president that it is ready to impose an arms embargo and sanctions if they don't immediately stop fighting and implement a new peace agreement.
- Obama expects better US-Israel ties after Iran deal in place Updated: Aug-28-15 5:16 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Friday compared tensions between the U.S. and Israel over the Iranian nuclear deal to a family feud and said he expects quick improvements in ties between the longtime allies once the accord is implemented.
- Former PM Tsipras' popularity tanks ahead of Greek elections Updated: Aug-28-15 4:11 pm
ATHENS, Greece - Greece's former governing radical-left party is unlikely to win an outright majority in a crucial national election next month, and its lead over the opposition conservatives has narrowed, early opinion polls showed Friday.
- US national security adviser in China ahead of Xi's US trip Updated: Aug-28-15 8:53 am
BEIJING - The U.S. national security adviser met with President Xi Jinping on Friday amid final preparations for the Chinese leader's visit to Washington next month, with both sides expressing optimism despite their differences.
- US sanctions chief visits Israel amid Iran jitters Updated: Aug-28-15 5:28 am
JERUSALEM - The U.S. Department of the Treasury's sanctions chief is visiting Israel amid concerns in Jerusalem over the nuclear deal with Iran.
- Walker giving foreign policy speech in South Carolina Updated: Aug-28-15 4:04 am
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - Republican presidential hopeful Scott Walker is coming to South Carolina to discuss what American foreign policy would look like in his administration.
- ACLU sues to block sweeping Nevada education funding program Updated: Aug-27-15 8:56 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - A Nevada education funding program that's considered the nation's broadest school choice initiative attracted its first legal challenge Thursday, with three civil liberties groups saying it violates the state constitution by releasing public funds to religious schools.
- Advocacy group's CEO sees new issues with Kansas welfare law Updated: Aug-27-15 8:50 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Parts of Kansas' new welfare law appear to conflict with federal rules for state child care programs, potentially jeopardizing more than $40 million a year in federal funds, an advocacy group's leader said Thursday.
- Rubio says strength is only way to maintain peace with China Updated: Aug-27-15 8:20 pm
MIAMI - Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio says the United States must bolster its military, push for more free trade and hold China far more accountable on human rights.
- AP EXCLUSIVE: Chairman promises review of unspent charity Updated: Aug-27-15 7:07 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Nearly $10 million in charitable donations by California taxpayers sat unspent in government accounts at the end of last year, The Associated Press has found, and the Senate Governance and Finance Committee chairman said Thursday that he wants a review of state accounts and will hold a hearing to find out why the money hasn't been spent.
- The US economy's second quarter went from solid to stellar Updated: Aug-27-15 6:49 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. economy staged a far bigger rebound last quarter than first thought, outpacing the rest of the developed world and bolstering confidence that it will remain sturdy in coming months despite global headwinds.
- Washington health insurance rates to go up 4.2 percent Updated: Aug-27-15 6:46 pm
SEATTLE - People who buy their health insurance on the Washington Healthplanfinder exchange can expect an average 4.2 percent increase in their rates in 2016.
- Kobach: Trump correct on immigration proposals Updated: Aug-27-15 5:26 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach said he agrees with Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's proposals to build a wall along the southern border and end "birthright citizenship" for children born to parents who are in the U.S. illegally.
- New stopgap spending bill approved by N. Carolina lawmakers Updated: Aug-27-15 3:59 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The General Assembly quickly passed another temporary spending measure Thursday directing how North Carolina government should operate while Republicans leaders remain knotted in a budget stalemate.
- Budget expert leaves Illinois without state spending plan Updated: Aug-27-15 2:03 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The contract of a budget expert tapped by Gov. Bruce Rauner is set to expire without a state budget in place.
- Philippine economy grew 5.6 pct in the second quarter Updated: Aug-27-15 3:13 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine economy grew by 5.6 percent in the second quarter from a year ago, slightly below the government's target, officials said Thursday.