- Divisive Polish party leader Kaczynski pulls the strings Updated: Feb-07-16 2:45 am
WARSAW, Poland - When Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban had a secret five-hour meeting in a secluded mountain resort with the most powerful person in Poland, he didn't convene with his counterpart or the Polish president.
- N. Korea praises launch, others see as covert missile test Updated: Feb-06-16 11:13 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea on Sunday defied international warnings and launched a long-range rocket that the United Nations and others call a cover for a banned test of technology for a missile that could strike the U.S. mainland.
- Review-Journal endorses Marco Rubio for Nevada's GOP caucus Updated: Feb-06-16 4:29 pm
LAS VEGAS - Nevada's largest newspaper is endorsing Sen. Marco Rubio for Nevada's Republican caucus.
- The Latest: Attackers torch refugee center in Prague Updated: Feb-06-16 3:17 pm
AMSTERDAM - The Latest on the flow of thousands of would-be refugees from the Middle East and elsewhere to Europe (all times local):
- Editorials from around New England Updated: Feb-06-16 1:17 pm
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New England newspapers:
- GOP-led Congress unlikely to OK Obama's new clean energy bid Updated: Feb-06-16 7:52 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama said Saturday that he will ask the Republican-led Congress to double spending on research and development into clean energy by 2020. But the request is unlikely to be fulfilled.
- Edwards officially calls special session on budget, taxes Updated: Feb-05-16 8:13 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Gov. John Bel Edwards officially called Friday for lawmakers to convene Feb. 14 in a special legislative session aimed at stabilizing Louisiana's finances and closing an immediate budget gap estimated to top $700 million.
- New Mexico REAL ID bipartisan compromise passes 2nd test Updated: Feb-05-16 8:04 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Following an emotional meeting where senators revealed they were getting racist emails, a second Senate committee passed Friday a bipartisan proposal aimed at making New Mexico compliant under the federal REAL ID Act.
- Stocks lose more ground as jobs report disappoints Updated: Feb-05-16 7:19 pm
NEW YORK - Stocks posted steep losses Friday, ending the week with broad declines, as investors fretted over a report showing that U.S. job creation slowed last month.
- The Latest: New Mexico REAL ID compromise passes 2nd test Updated: Feb-05-16 6:43 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The latest on New Mexico lawmakers' REAL ID debate (all times local):
- In Obama's final year, Senate is slow to act on his nominees Updated: Feb-05-16 5:28 pm
WASHINGTON - If you wear combat fatigues to work, then your nomination is almost sure to sail through the Senate. If not, you're likely in for a long wait.
- Utah plans to repeal guest worker law that never took effect Updated: Feb-05-16 5:13 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Five years after Utah passed a guest worker law lauded as a compassionate approach to address immigrants living in the country illegally, the state is seeking to repeal the never-implemented program.
- Daugaard proposes oversight overhaul after GEAR UP scandal Updated: Feb-05-16 5:07 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - Gov. Dennis Daugaard is proposing an overhaul of oversight for state government entities and outside organizations that receive grants through the state after a murder-suicide last year involving two employees of a Platte-based educational cooperative.
- After much upheaval Danish TV has a request: "Don't hate us" Updated: Feb-05-16 5:03 pm
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Danish television has a request for the world: "Don't hate us!"
- Obama, Xi discuss NKorea amid signs of rocket launch preps Updated: Feb-05-16 4:45 pm
WASHINGTON - The presidents of the U.S. and China agreed Friday that a planned rocket launch by North Korea would violate U.N. sanctions, the White House said, amid signs the isolated nation was moving closer to blastoff.
- Canada eases certain sanctions against Iran Updated: Feb-05-16 4:27 pm
TORONTO - Canada has dropped many of the sanctions it imposed on Iran over that country's nuclear ambitions.
- AP FACT CHECK: Clinton, Sanders missteps Updated: Feb-05-16 3:08 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest Democratic debate found Hillary Clinton in a defensive crouch about her Wall Street ties and making iffy claims about that longtime relationship. Rival Bernie Sanders offered a fumbling account of a campaign ad that boasted of endorsements that were bogus.
- Historic step: Pope, Russia patriarch meet in Cuba Feb. 12 Updated: Feb-05-16 1:44 pm
VATICAN CITY - In an historic step to heal the 1,000-year schism that split Christianity, Pope Francis and the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church will meet in Cuba next week in an attempt to begin bridging the church's East-West divide.
- Anti-austerity Portuguese government gets EU's OK for budget Updated: Feb-05-16 1:09 pm
LISBON, Portugal - In a tug of war over budgets, the European Commission approved Portugal's so-called anti-austerity spending plan on Friday, but only after extracting a promise for almost $1 billion in additional cost cuts.
- US exports fell in 2015 for first time since recession Updated: Feb-05-16 9:30 am
WASHINGTON - The U.S. trade deficit rose in December as American exports fell for a third straight month, reflecting the pressures of a stronger dollar and spreading global weakness. Those factors contributed to the first annual drop in U.S. export sales since the Great Recession shrank global trade six years ago.
- Why pensions are the new flashpoint in Greece's crisis Updated: Feb-05-16 8:59 am
ATHENS, Greece - Combine a rapidly aging population, a depleted work force and leaky finances and any country's pension system would be in trouble. For debt-hobbled, unemployment-plagued Greece, it's a nightmare.
- Iowa Republicans look to eliminate 'sanctuary cities' Updated: Feb-04-16 7:20 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Republicans in the Iowa House are seeking to force police and sheriffs' offices to tell U.S. immigration officials when they have someone in custody who is living in the country illegally.
- Missouri reaches $300 million trade deal with Peru Updated: Feb-04-16 6:48 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri and Peru have agreed to trade $300 million worth of products over the next four years.
- Obama health care law posts respectable sign-up season Updated: Feb-04-16 5:08 pm
WASHINGTON - Still facing political jeopardy, President Barack Obama's health care law beat expectations by earning solid sign-ups this year, according to figures released Thursday by the administration.
- Bill introduced to prohibit gun bans in subsidized housing Updated: Feb-04-16 4:12 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - The case of a disabled Mainer who shot an intruder last year has led to legislation that would prohibit gun bans in subsidized housing.