- Australian stocks slip after central bank cuts interest rate Updated: May-05-15 1:40 am
HONG KONG - Australian stocks slipped Tuesday even as the central bank cut interest rates to a record low to stimulate the limping economy. Stocks elsewhere in the region were mostly lower with two major markets closed.
- New plan would end Kansas green energy mandate for utilities Updated: May-04-15 9:58 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas would no longer require utilities to generate a portion of their electricity from wind or other renewable resources but the state also would not impose a new tax on the power under a proposal Republican Gov. Sam Brownback announced Monday.
- Texas, Kansas to back Florida lawsuit against administration Updated: May-04-15 6:17 pm
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - Governors in Kansas and Texas said Monday they'll support Florida Gov. Rick Scott's fight against the Obama administration to free billions of federal hospital dollars even if the states don't expand Medicaid.
- More executive turnover at MNsure as chief plans to resign Updated: May-04-15 5:27 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - MNsure's chief executive announced his resignation Monday, paving the way for a third leadership shakeup at the beleaguered agency in less than two years.
- Munger says US health care system is too expensive, complex Updated: May-04-15 1:26 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - Berkshire Hathaway's Vice Chairman Charlie Munger says the American health care system remains too complicated and expensive.
- Famed neurosurgeon Ben Carson announces White House campaign Updated: May-04-15 11:14 am
DETROIT - Retired surgeon Ben Carson has made it official, telling a crowd in his hometown of Detroit that he's running for president.
- Executive: TV rights law to improve competitiveness in Spain Updated: May-04-15 7:24 am
SOUTHERN SHUNEH, Jordan - A Spanish football marketing executive says a new collective bargaining arrangement for TV rights will boost finances of poorer clubs and give them a better shot against giants Barcelona and Real Madrid in buying players.
- China factory index shows fastest deterioration in a year Updated: May-03-15 11:25 pm
HONG KONG - Chinese manufacturing suffered its sharpest contraction in a year in April, raising pressure on Beijing to roll out new stimulus to keep growth in the world's No. 2 economy from slipping below the official target, a report said Monday.
- DiPalma to serve on transportation committee at conference Updated: May-03-15 3:46 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island state Sen. Louis DiPalma has been appointed to the Transportation Policy Committee at the Council of State Governments' Eastern Regional Conference.
- Boehner: Clinton needs to bring Democrats along on trade Updated: May-03-15 9:05 am
- Demonstrators rally, march to oppose family detention Updated: May-02-15 5:55 pm
DILLEY, Texas - Hundreds of demonstrators converged on the small South Texas town of Dilley to rally and march on an immigrant family detention center in protest of U.S. immigrant detention policy.
- El Paso County deputies halt special immigration enforcement Updated: May-02-15 5:31 pm
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - The El Paso County Sheriff's Office will no longer carry out certain immigration law duties at the county jail on behalf of the federal government, saying it costs too much and takes up too much time.
- Florida growers worry about Cuban imports Updated: May-02-15 12:41 pm
WINTER HAVEN, Florida - Some of Florida's agriculture experts say normalizing relations with Cuba could threaten the state's citrus and vegetable crops.
- Portman faces balancing act on trade as he seeks re-election Updated: May-02-15 11:03 am
WASHINGTON - Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio is maneuvering with care as he runs for re-election in a swing state while cautiously supporting a free-trade deal that even some fellow Republicans fear could lead to job losses back home.
- Thousands of South Koreans protest over gov't labor policies Updated: May-01-15 9:07 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korean police said Saturday that they detained 40 people when protests over government labor policies and the handling of a year-old ferry disaster spiraled into violence late Friday.
- Japan prime minister touts economic synergy with US in visit Updated: May-01-15 8:05 pm
LOS ANGELES - The United States and Japan will work toward strengthened economic ties, including promoting more direct investment in each other's markets and approval of a Pacific trade agreement, officials said Friday.
- Anti-police brutality theme of Chicago May Day protests Updated: May-01-15 5:32 pm
CHICAGO - Several hundred people are participating in May Day activities in Chicago that are focusing not only on labor issues, but also on police-community relations and immigration reform.
- After long delay, Gov. Cuomo sets date for email meeting Updated: May-01-15 5:25 pm
ALBANY, New York - Following weeks of delay and continued criticism of his administration's handling of emails, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Friday set a date for a meeting with other top officials to discuss a new email retention policy.
- Wolf opens door to running insurance marketplace Updated: May-01-15 4:40 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Gov. Tom Wolf's administration advanced plans Friday to maintain federal health insurance subsidies for nearly 400,000 Pennsylvanians ahead of a U.S. Supreme Court decision that could wipe out the aid to insurance buyers in some states.
- May Day demos staged around the world; Turkey square blocked Updated: May-01-15 1:21 pm
HAVANA - Left-wing groups, governments and trade unions were staging rallies around the world Friday to mark International Workers Day.
- Rural hospitals struggle to stay open, adapt to changes Updated: May-01-15 9:08 am
OSCEOLA, Missouri - After 45 years of providing health care in rural Missouri, Sac-Osage Hospital is being sold piece by piece.
- Bahamas court agrees to review new immigration rules Updated: Apr-30-15 9:07 pm
NASSAU, Bahamas - A judge agreed on Thursday to review new immigration rules at the request of a Bahamian-born woman of Haitian descent.
- Increasing gas tax makes for tough politics, adviser says Updated: Apr-30-15 8:53 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi will need strong bipartisan leadership if officials want to increase the gasoline tax to pay for highways, bridges and other transportation needs, the policy director of a national group called Transportation for America told state business leaders Thursday.
- TRICARE revamp rejected, other benefit changes backed Updated: Apr-30-15 6:42 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House has rejected a proposal to largely replace the military's TRICARE health care system, but has agreed to further study a proposal that would let service members participate in retirement savings plans like a 401(k).
- Obama to talk trade in visit to Oregon, Nike Updated: Apr-30-15 5:28 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - President Barack Obama will campaign for free trade legislation during his Oregon trip next week.