- Kerry pushes Asia trade pact in Singapore Updated: Aug-04-15 2:37 am
SINGAPORE - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry called Tuesday for countries negotiating a major Pacific Rim trade deal to overcome differences that have stalled its conclusion.
- GOP hopefuls take on illegal immigration in debate preview Updated: Aug-03-15 11:07 pm
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - The Republican Party's presidential class demanded aggressive steps to curb illegal immigration, seizing on a delicate political issue while facing off in New Hampshire on Monday night during a crowded and pointed preview of the 2016 primary season's first full-fledged debate.
- Iran's Ahmadinejad seeks political comeback Updated: Aug-03-15 2:59 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's former President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has launched a political campaign ahead of February's parliamentary elections in what could prove a challenge to the moderates behind a landmark nuclear agreement reached last month.
- Pelosi praises papal climate encyclical during Italy visit Updated: Aug-03-15 8:49 am
MILAN - Leading U.S. Democrat Nancy Pelosi on Monday called the pope's climate encyclical "an important new effective asset" in pushing forward policy to slow global warming by bringing aboard a new audience.
- Economic boost expected amid Detroit religious conventions Updated: Aug-03-15 7:31 am
DETROIT - More religious conventions are planned in Detroit and officials say they're expected to provide an additional economic boost to the area.
- Virginia's combined sales tax holiday to begin Friday Updated: Aug-03-15 2:04 am
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - Virginians will get a three-day break on sales taxes on a variety of items, beginning Friday.
- Welch, LujÃ¡n propose nationwide energy standards Updated: Aug-01-15 3:17 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Two members of Congress - Vermont's Peter Welch and New Mexico's Ray LujÃ¡n are proposing nationwide energy standards - one for renewable energy and another for energy efficiency.
- Pacific trade ministers fail to reach deal in Hawaii talks Updated: Aug-01-15 1:10 am
LAHAINA, Hawaii - Trade ministers from a dozen Pacific Rim nations failed to reach a deal on a new trade agreement that would cover nearly 40 percent of the global economy, U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman said Friday.
- Taking on Bush and Rubio, Clinton calls for Cuba embargo end Updated: Jul-31-15 4:16 pm
MIAMI - Drawing a sharp distinction with Republican rivals in the pivotal election state of Florida, Hillary Rodham Clinton on Friday called on the GOP-run Congress to end the trade embargo the U.S. has imposed on Cuba since 1962
- Monster of a fall awaits Congress after summer break Updated: Jul-31-15 3:20 pm
WASHINGTON - As lawmakers head out of the Capitol for a five-week summer recess, they leave behind a pile of unfinished business that all but guarantees a painful fall.
- Wynn wants to pay for subway improvements in casino plan Updated: Jul-31-15 2:46 pm
BOSTON - Wynn Resorts is proposing lending a hand to Boston's creaky transit system.
- WTO rules against China in specialty steel dispute Updated: Jul-31-15 1:06 pm
WASHINGTON - The World Trade Organization says China broke global trade rules by failing to comply with an earlier WTO ruling and continuing to impose duties on specialty steel imports.
- Breastfeeding advocates rally in Concord Updated: Jul-31-15 12:11 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Nursing mothers joined advocates at the Statehouse lawn on Friday to emphasize that women who breastfeed in the workplace should not face discrimination or retaliation, kicking off World Breastfeeding Week.
- WikiLeaks says US spied on Japanese government, companies Updated: Jul-31-15 10:13 am
TOKYO - The WikiLeaks website published documents Friday that it said shows the U.S. government spied on Japanese officials and companies.
- Russia's central bank cuts key interest rate Updated: Jul-31-15 10:10 am
MOSCOW - The Russian central bank cut its key interest rate by 0.5 percentage points to 11 percent on Friday, bowing to the pressure of businesses to make lending more accessible.
- US paychecks grow at record-slow pace in 2nd quarter Updated: Jul-31-15 9:21 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. wages and benefits grew in the spring at the slowest pace in 33 years, stark evidence that stronger hiring isn't lifting paychecks much for most Americans. The slowdown also likely reflects a sharp drop-off in bonus and incentive pay for some workers.
- Muted reaction in Almaty as Kazakh city's Olympic bid fails Updated: Jul-31-15 8:30 am
ALMATY, Kazakhstan - Within minutes of the announcement that Almaty's bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics had failed, it was almost as if it had never happened.
- Trump's call for mass deportations runs into messy realities Updated: Jul-30-15 6:10 pm
NEW YORK - In one of his first forays into policy as a presidential candidate, Republican Donald Trump is calling for the deportation of all 11 million people estimated to be living in the country illegally and allowing what he calls "really good people" to return.
- Senate panel passes bill lifting crude oil export ban Updated: Jul-30-15 5:37 pm
WASHINGTON - A Senate panel approved energy legislation Thursday that would lift the 40-year-old ban on crude oil exports and open more areas of the Arctic, Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean to oil and gas exploration.
- Officials: Proposed mine won't break environmental policy Updated: Jul-30-15 4:50 pm
LIBBY, Montana - Owners of a northwestern Montana mine say they are one step closer to operating after the U.S. Forest Service found the project would not violate environmental laws or regulations.
- Alaska Editorials Updated: Jul-30-15 1:38 pm
Here is a sampling of editorial opinions from Alaska newspapers:
- US economy likely rebounded to solid growth rate in spring Updated: Jul-30-15 3:04 am
WASHINGTON - After a terrible winter, the economy is improving, with a solid rebound in the spring expected to be followed by stronger growth in the second half of the year.
- Takeaway from Fed meeting: Expect a rate increase this year Updated: Jul-30-15 12:04 am
WASHINGTON - Expectations have grown that sometime this year, the Federal Reserve will raise interest rates from record lows. The only question seems to be when.
- Carter: Successful Iran nuclear deal better than strike Updated: Jul-29-15 7:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Wednesday that the U.S. armed forces stand ready to confront Iran, but told lawmakers that a successful implementation of the nuclear agreement with Tehran is preferable to a military strike.
- Tariff can be placed on some paper from Canada Updated: Jul-29-15 4:46 pm
MADISON, Maine - U.S. Rep. Bruce Poliquin says the International Trade Association has found in favor of Madison Paper in its claim that Canadian subsidies created an unfair advantage for competitors.