- Hollande, activists gear up for critical climate talks Updated: Nov-28-15 3:32 pm
PARIS - French President Francois Hollande met with environmental groups Saturday, pushing for an ambitious global deal to reduce man-made emissions blamed for global warming - with emphasis on helping developing countries adapt to a changing world.
- UN: Maurice Strong, climate and development pioneer, dies Updated: Nov-28-15 3:05 pm
TORONTO - Maurice Strong, whose work helped lead to the landmark climate summit that begins in Paris on Monday, has died at age 86, the head of the U.N.'s environmental agency said Saturday.
- Iran lures foreign investors with new oil contracts Updated: Nov-28-15 2:26 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran unveiled a new model of oil contracts Saturday aimed at attracting foreign investment once sanctions are lifted under a landmark nuclear deal reached earlier this year, and said U.S. companies would be welcome to participate.
- Missouri school district adopts transgender policy Updated: Nov-28-15 2:18 pm
MARIONVILLE, Missouri - A southwest Missouri school district has a new policy governing bathroom usage for transgender students that some civil rights advocates are calling discriminatory.
- Energy-rich Russia pays little attention to climate change Updated: Nov-28-15 9:29 am
MOSCOW - When forest fires roared through Siberia this summer, so vast that the smoke blocked vast Lake Baikal from satellite view, Russian officials blamed the blazes on arsonists and disorganized fire crews. Environmentalists say there was another culprit: global warming.
- After Paris, US political shift on privacy vs. security Updated: Nov-28-15 8:42 am
WASHINGTON - The Paris attacks have renewed debate on the U.S. government's post-Sept. 11 domestic surveillance laws, leading to efforts to revive the issue on Capitol Hill and handing Marco Rubio an opening against Ted Cruz in the Republican presidential race.
- What to know about 'BernieCare,' Sanders' health overhaul Updated: Nov-28-15 8:42 am
WASHINGTON - The most ambitious "repeal and replace" health care plan from a presidential candidate comes from Sen. Bernie Sanders, not from a Republican.
- Carson visiting Syrian refugees in Jordan Updated: Nov-28-15 12:18 am
WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson is in the Middle East this weekend to meet with Syrian refugees.
- Cuomo, de Blasio clash again, this time on NYC homelessness Updated: Nov-27-15 4:48 pm
NEW YORK - The feud between Mayor Bill de Blasio and Gov. Andrew Cuomo is not taking a break for the holidays.
- Presidential contenders differ sharply on climate, Updated: Nov-27-15 2:50 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders calls climate change the greatest threat to national security. Front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton promises to install more than 500 million solar panels across the country.
- Feeling the pinch of Indiana's new food stamp rules Updated: Nov-27-15 5:01 am
MISHAWAKA, Indiana - After more than three years in jail, Bonita Richards works at temp jobs, piecing together 20 hours of work each week at various factories.
- After Paris attacks, increased resolve for UN climate talks Updated: Nov-27-15 3:37 am
PARIS - Still gripped by shock and grief, Paris will play host to a long-awaited U.N. climate conference under tragic circumstances that none could have foreseen.
- Groups try to build support for state school choice program Updated: Nov-27-15 2:05 am
LAS VEGAS - As lawyers duke it out over the constitutionality of Nevada's landmark education savings account program and state officials iron out much-needed regulations, a major question facing ESAs has been who will do the work of building the robust public support the program needs to be successful in the long term.
- Russia strikes back at Turkey with economic sanctions Updated: Nov-26-15 11:59 am
MOSCOW - Russia plans to retaliate against Turkey for the downing of a warplane by imposing sanctions, cutting economic ties and scrapping major investment projects.
- Is Portugal about to go down the same road as Greece? Updated: Nov-26-15 11:43 am
LISBON, Portugal - An anti-austerity alliance including radical leftist parties takes power. A shaky economy and huge debts menace the national economy. The rest of Europe watches with a wary eye.
- How to make sure your green home upgrades pay off Updated: Nov-25-15 4:34 pm
Investing in making your home more energy efficient can help the environment, lower your utility bills and possibly help you fetch a higher sale price.
- Obama signs defense bill despite Guantanamo provisions Updated: Nov-25-15 4:34 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Wednesday signed a $607 billion defense policy bill despite his opposition to restrictions in the legislation that ban him from moving Guantanamo Bay detainees to the United States and making good on a long unfulfilled campaign promise.
- Clarification: Congress-Health Repeal story Updated: Nov-25-15 3:58 pm
WASHINGTON - In a story Nov. 24, The Associated Press listed Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., as one of several Republican senators who might find it difficult to vote for a bill eliminating federal money for Planned Parenthood.
- Signs of steady US economy: Rising pay and solid job market Updated: Nov-25-15 3:57 pm
WASHINGTON - Americans' pay is up, fewer people need unemployment aid, more are buying new homes and business spending is rebounding.
- American Airlines stops taking payment in Argentine currency Updated: Nov-25-15 2:58 pm
FORT WORTH, Texas - American Airlines says it has stopped taking Argentine pesos as payment for tickets because of limits on its ability to convert the money into dollars.
- Polish minister: Country against further gas emission cuts Updated: Nov-25-15 12:20 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's new environment minister said Wednesday he is against further cuts in carbon gas emissions, a key topic during climate talks next week in Paris.
- Daniels creates Purdue safety panel after student protest Updated: Nov-25-15 11:28 am
WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana - Purdue University is forming a campus safety relations committee following a student demonstration to protest problems with racism at the school's main campus.
- Fund manager Q&A: USAA's Matt Freund defends holding cash Updated: Nov-25-15 11:05 am
NEW YORK - Sometimes the best choice is to make none at all, particularly when all the options look risky.
- Xi to give speech at opening of Paris climate conference Updated: Nov-25-15 1:38 am
BEIJING - President Xi Jinping will speak at a key climate change conference in Paris later this month, before making state visits to South Africa and Zimbabwe, officials announced Wednesday.
- Militant attacks abroad a diplomatic quandary for China's Xi Updated: Nov-25-15 1:01 am
BEIJING - The killings of Chinese citizens by Islamic militants in Syria and Mali place President Xi Jinping in a quandary: How can Beijing respond effectively without betraying its strict stance against intervention?