- France threatens 'no' to US-EU trade zone, amid new tensions Updated: May-03-16 8:30 am
PARIS - France is threatening to reject a huge free trade deal between the U.S. and the European Union, saying it's too friendly to U.S. business and probably doomed.
- Weak Chinese manufacturing survey weighs on markets Updated: May-03-16 8:28 am
LONDON - A weak Chinese manufacturing survey weighed on European markets Tuesday. Australia's stock index was the standout performer after the Australian central bank surprised many in the markets by cutting interest rates.
- HUD awards over $428K for local Indiana homeless programs Updated: May-03-16 5:58 am
INDIANAPOLIS - The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has awarded more than $428,000 in grants to five local homeless housing and service programs across Indiana.
- Local homeless programs across Michigan awarded about $13.9M Updated: May-03-16 5:45 am
WASHINGTON - The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has awarded roughly $13.9 million to local homeless housing and service programs across Michigan.
- Australia cuts key interest rate to record low 1.75 percent Updated: May-03-16 2:00 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's central bank on Tuesday cut its benchmark interest rate to a record low 1.75 percent as it responded to a low outlook for inflation.
- Court gives green light to enforcement of Arizona ID laws Updated: May-02-16 7:02 pm
PHOENIX - Identity theft laws that Arizona used against workers in the country illegally were set to go back into effect after a federal appeals court said Monday they were used against U.S. citizens as well as immigrants who use false identities to get jobs.
- More affordable health insurance option urged for Washington Updated: May-02-16 6:23 pm
SEATTLE - U.S. Sen. Maria Cantwell wants Washington state to bring back the Basic Health Plan, which provided an inexpensive health insurance option for the working poor.
- HUD awards some $2.9M to homeless programs in New Mexico Updated: May-02-16 4:46 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has awarded more than $2.9 million to homeless housing and service programs across New Mexico.
- Parties ask to revisit AEP, FirstEnergy deals in Ohio Updated: May-02-16 4:40 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Energy and environmental groups are among those asking Ohio regulators to reconsider two deals that allow utility companies to impose short-term rate increases to subsidize some older coal-fired and nuclear power plants.
- Minimum wage increase stalled as negotiations continue Updated: May-02-16 2:09 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A push by Gov. John Bel Edwards to boost Louisiana's minimum wage remains stalled in the Senate as the Democratic governor continues negotiating with lawmakers, trying to win support for the bill.
- Iran's atomic chief visits Prague to talk nuclear business Updated: May-02-16 2:01 pm
PRAGUE - With sanctions lifted, the head of Iran's nuclear program came to talk business with Czech leaders.
- Iran leader urges for nuclear weapons-free Korean Peninsula Updated: May-02-16 1:21 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's President Hassan Rouhani on Monday appealed for a Korean Peninsula free of nuclear weapons during a visit to Tehran by his South Korean counterpart, the official IRNA news agency reported.
- Buffett praises Fed but warns of unintended consequences Updated: May-02-16 12:53 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - Investor Warren Buffett said the Federal Reserve and other policymakers are generally doing a good job, but it's difficult to predict all the effects of interest rates remaining low for this long.
- AP Exclusive: Migrant children kept from enrolling in school Updated: May-02-16 12:22 am
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Candelario Jimon Alonzo came to the U.S. dreaming of becoming something more than what seemed possible along the rutted roads of his hometown in Guatemala's highlands. This was his chance: He could earn a U.S. high school education and eventually become a teacher.
- Detroit auditor: Feds subpoenaed documents in blight program Updated: May-01-16 11:40 pm
DETROIT - The Detroit auditor general says federal investigators subpoenaed his office requesting records related to the use of federal funds for the city's blight-removal program.
- 1st cruise from a US port in decades leaves Miami for Cuba Updated: May-01-16 9:01 pm
MIAMI - Passengers set sail Sunday from Miami on an historic cruise to Cuba, the first in decades to depart from a U.S. seaport for the communist island nation.
- Rally seeks to foster fairness, justice for immigrants Updated: May-01-16 8:57 pm
DURHAM, New Hampshire - Social justice advocates in New Hampshire are making the rejection of racism, xenophobia and anti-Muslim sentiment the themes of their annual May Day Rally for Immigrant Justice.
- Clinton vies for blue-collar votes in Indiana campaign stop Updated: May-01-16 4:23 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Hillary Clinton is making a pitch to Indiana's blue-collar workers, blaming Republicans for trickle-down economic policies "on steroids" that she says have harmed the middle class.
- Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick baptized on trip to Israel Updated: May-01-16 12:54 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick has been baptized in the Jordan River while visiting Israel with officials from different states.
- Saudi Binladin Group employees set fire to buses in protest Updated: May-01-16 10:57 am
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Employees at the Saudi Binladin Group, a construction giant, have set fire to more than seven company buses in the latest protest by disgruntled staff over not being paid salaries for months and a large round of reported layoffs.
- North Korea party congress to show unity around Kim Jong Un Updated: May-01-16 9:10 am
TOKYO - North Korea is preparing to hold a once-in-a-generation congress of its ruling party that is intended to rally the nation behind leader Kim Jong Un and could provide an important glimpse into Kim's plans for the country's economy and military.
- Auditors assail spending by Nebraska Tourism Commission Updated: Apr-30-16 6:50 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska tourism officials used state money to reimburse a marketing firm for alcohol and cigarettes, accepted meals from contractors and paid $44,000 in speaking fees for a 90-minute speech by a corporate executive, according to a new state audit.
- Complaint accuses hospital of religious discrimination Updated: Apr-30-16 3:24 pm
ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - A complaint filed by a federal agency is accusing Mission Hospital of religious discrimination and violating federal law for firing three workers who refused to adhere to the hospital's flu vaccine requirement and declined the shot.
- Senate candidate paid relative $170K for past campaign work Updated: Apr-30-16 12:49 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - An Indiana Senate candidate who has railed against out-of-control government spending paid his brother-in-law nearly $170,000 to manage the finances of his congressional campaign. The relative worked as a car salesman and actor but had no experience rounding up political donations.
- Ohio invests in opening recovery houses for heroin addicts Updated: Apr-30-16 9:52 am
DAYTON, Ohio - When residents of the Ome Garden neighborhood got word of plans for moving recovering drug addicts into a vacant house, they didn't like what they were hearing.