- Democrats question Mead about Medicaid expansion Updated: Dec-09-13 7:26 pm
- 4 more charged in Navajo discretionary fund case Updated: Dec-06-13 7:38 pm
- NV Rep. Amodei named to Appropriations Committee Updated: Dec-05-13 2:50 pm
- Idaho juror pay becoming patchwork after cap hike Updated: Dec-04-13 7:07 pm
- Suffolk delegate to head House Appropriations Updated: Dec-04-13 11:25 am
- Money for housing assistance draws concern in Vt. Updated: Dec-02-13 4:25 pm
- Study: Va. needs 30 new circuit, juvenile judges Updated: Dec-02-13 12:32 pm
- West Hartford senator to help run budget committee Updated: Nov-27-13 4:31 pm
- NE governors press Congress on heating oil program Updated: Nov-26-13 2:34 pm
- Gov. Martinez's hold on capital projects disputed Updated: Nov-25-13 7:58 pm
- Ed board vet to challenge Rhoades in primary Updated: Nov-24-13 7:06 pm
- NC Senate budget-writer Brunstetter to resign Updated: Nov-21-13 8:34 pm
- Reuben Senterfitt, ex-Texas House speaker, dies Updated: Nov-21-13 12:05 am
- Mich. budget chief's brother seeking $5M contract Updated: Nov-20-13 4:23 pm
- Gov. Quinn OKs $50M in supplemental funding Updated: Nov-15-13 5:46 pm
- Editorial: A generation of lawmakers with little military... Updated: Nov-13-13 3:48 pm
- Idaho's Simpson gets new committee leadership role Updated: Nov-13-13 2:49 pm
- Automatic spending cuts would bite more in 2014 Updated: Nov-11-13 7:25 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Democratic lawmakers questioned Gov. Matt Mead on Monday about his recommendation that Wyoming not expand Medicaid to offer health insurance to thousands of low-income adults.
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona - The leader of the Navajo Nation's legislative branch, his predecessor and two former lawmakers have been charged with misusing tribal discretionary funds intended for Navajos in need.
RENO, Nevada - Nevada Congressman Mark Amodei (A'-muh-day) has won a coveted spot on the House Appropriations Committee.
BOISE, Idaho - Some of Idaho's 44 counties are sweetening their jury-duty pot after the Legislature quintupled a 45-year-old cap on what panelists may be paid for deciding innocence or guilt.
RICHMOND, Virginia - Republican Del. Chris Jones of Suffolk is the new chairman of the House Appropriations Committee.
MONTPELIER, Vermont - A proposal to triple the amount of money that Vermont is devoting to emergency housing assistance drew concern from a key lawmaker Monday.
FREDERICKSBURG, Virginia - Virginia needs at least 30 new judges to preside over juvenile and circuit courts, a study concludes.
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A West Hartford state senator is being named to help run the Legislature's powerful budget-writing committee.
BOSTON - A dozen U.S. governors, including those of all six New England states, are among those urging Congress to support a higher level of federal spending on a program that helps lower-income families and seniors cover their home heating costs.
SANTA FE, New Mexico - Republican Gov. Susana Martinez's administration said Monday it will continue withholding money for some legislatively approved capital improvement projects, although the attorney general's office has concluded the governor can't unilaterally do that.
NEWTON, Kansas - The GOP chairman of the House Appropriations Committee will face his first primary challenge next year.
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A key budget-writer in the North Carolina state Senate said Thursday he's leaving the General Assembly next month to become a top executive at a large hospital system.
BUDA, Texas - Former Texas House speaker Reuben Senterfitt, who co-authored legislation that created the world-famous M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, died Wednesday at age 96 after developing complications from pneumonia, his family said in a statement.
LANSING, Michigan - A company run by the brother of Michigan Budget Director John Nixon is in the running for a $5 million education technology project now up for bids.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Pat Quinn has signed legislation approving additional state spending for the year.
Congress is facing a worrisome deficit of military expertise in its ranks.
BOISE, Idaho - U.S. Rep. Mike Simpson is shifting Appropriations Committee assignments, taking on new chairmanship that puts him a key position to help determine funding for facilities including the Department of Energy's Idaho National Laboratory.
WASHINGTON - It's not just longstanding battles over taxes and curbing mandatory spending that are obstacles to a year-end pact on the budget. Another problem is a perception among some lawmakers that the automatic spending cuts known as sequestration haven't been as harsh as advertised.