- House panel reviews plan to boost K-12 funding Updated: Mar-10-14 4:26 pm
- SD unlikely to see as much revenue as predicted Updated: Mar-10-14 2:34 pm
- Iowa lawmakers OK anti-bullying plan for schools Updated: Mar-10-14 2:16 pm
- Lawmakers alter Wi-Fi options for schools Updated: Mar-09-14 1:58 pm
- Iowa Legislature reaches rare budget agreement Updated: Mar-05-14 6:31 pm
- Obama wildfire proposal could help timber industry Updated: Mar-05-14 10:56 am
- Maine budget work moves forward without gov's help Updated: Mar-04-14 5:47 pm
- Obama budget has $300M for Kansas NBAF project Updated: Mar-04-14 5:09 pm
- Agency-by-agency summary of Obama budget Updated: Mar-04-14 11:47 am
- Sen. Mark Begich: Public money for public schools Updated: Mar-03-14 10:20 pm
- Wyoming Legislature moves Medicaid expansion study Updated: Mar-03-14 8:58 pm
- SD Legislature considers extra school funding Updated: Mar-02-14 1:59 pm
- No general fund support for state parks Updated: Feb-28-14 8:11 am
- Senate panel puts brakes on school construction Updated: Feb-27-14 2:14 pm
- Oklahoma human services director seeks $33 million Updated: Feb-24-14 12:48 pm
- Lawmaker seeks money for former gov's mausoleum Updated: Feb-22-14 10:56 am
- House budget hearings delayed by Mardi Gras Updated: Feb-21-14 11:04 am
- Oklahoma House panel OKs rural housing tax credit Updated: Feb-20-14 5:18 pm
- Wyoming Legislature begins considering budget bill Updated: Feb-17-14 9:01 pm
- Senate panel OKs $30M for state "virtual fence" Updated: Feb-17-14 7:16 pm
- Queasy Vt. lawmakers hear need for paid sick days Updated: Feb-15-14 11:04 am
- Teachers ask for raises, school funding in hearing Updated: Feb-14-14 5:28 pm
- State wants early access to transportation savings Updated: Feb-13-14 6:57 pm
- Okla. lawmaker appointed to public safety position Updated: Feb-13-14 3:31 pm
- State information officer urges Internet expansion Updated: Feb-12-14 1:46 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - A school spending plan awaiting a vote by the House budget committee would go along with the governor's recommendation for a sizable funding increase for public kindergarten-through-12th grade classrooms across Kentucky.
PIERRE, South Dakota - South Dakota likely won't see as much money come in next year as was projected when Gov. Dennis Daugaard proposed his state budget in early December, state economists told the Legislature's budget-writing committee Monday.
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa lawmakers are continuing their efforts to fund an anti-bullying measure that would create an office to coordinate efforts and establish a grant program for schools across the state.
BOISE, Idaho - Lawmakers on the Legislature's joint budget committee say Idaho school districts that chose not to join a statewide contract for high school Wi-Fi services should qualify for state funding for their own Wi-Fi networks.
DES MOINES, Iowa - Legislative leaders from both parties in the House and Senate on Wednesday accomplished the rare task of agreeing from the outset on figures for the state budget for the fiscal year beginning in July.
APPLETON, Wisconsin - President Barack Obama has proposed using disaster funds to help fight wildfires to avoid draining forestry budgets, a move that could help boost Wisconsin's timber industry.
AUGUSTA, Maine - Gov. Paul LePage urged lawmakers to replenish Maine's rainy day fund on Tuesday while they pushed forward in crafting a supplemental budget without help from the Republican governor who has refused to introduce one this year.
TOPEKA, Kansas - President Barack Obama is proposing Congress provide another infusion of cash to continue construction of a new biosecurity lab in Kansas.
Agency: Health and Human Services
JUNEAU, Alaska - U.S. Sen. Mark Begich said Monday that Alaskans should never amend the state constitution as a "fix" for education.
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Both houses of the Wyoming Legislature on passed a budget bill Monday that calls on Gov. Matt Mead and other Wyoming officials to investigate whether they can reach an agreement with the federal government to expand Medicaid on the state's terms.
PIERRE, South Dakota - State tax revenues have faltered a bit lately, and legislative leaders said that might make it difficult to boost education funding beyond what the governor proposed.
PHOENIX - There's no money to construct boat ramps at Lake Havasu State Park or fix a leaky roof at Kartchner Caverns' visitor center.
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - The Senate Appropriations Committee put the brakes on spending in a K-12 school construction bill after members raised concern that some proposed school building projects appeared to have skipped initial stages of the established legislative process for approval.
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma's Department of Human Services needs almost $33 million in state tax dollars to operate the agency through the end of June and meet some of its obligations under the settlement of a class-action lawsuit over the care of children in its custody, the agency's director said Monday.
DES MOINES, Iowa - A 115-year-old mausoleum containing an Iowa governor's remains is showing its age, with part of the structure collapsing and a family of raccoons living inside the shelter.
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The Mardi Gras calendar is disrupting lawmakers' review of Gov. Bobby Jindal's budget proposal.
OKLAHOMA CITY - Legislation to create a tax credit for low- and moderate-income housing in rural areas was approved by an Oklahoma House committee Thursday over the objections of one lawmaker who said the Legislature should first create a method of determining whether such programs are a good deal for taxpayers.
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - The state budget bill that got its first airing before the full Wyoming Legislature on Monday calls for using state funds to get coal exported overseas and to avert a federal listing of the sage grouse, which would hamper mineral development in the state.
PHOENIX - An Arizona House panel on Monday gave initial approval to a plan to spend $30 million to install 350 miles of "virtual fence" along the state's southern border with Mexico.
MONTPELIER, Vermont - There was uneasy laughter in a Vermont House committee room as Statehouse cafeteria worker Laura Tyrell said she had come to work ill that day because she gets no paid sick leave. She told the assembled lawmakers that she had made some of their lunches.
BOISE , Idaho - Educators petitioned Idaho's lawmakers Friday to boost their wages and pour more state money into the public school system.
INDIANAPOLIS - A state request to dip into savings for major highway projects earlier than planned is getting mixed reactions from Indiana lawmakers.
OKLAHOMA CITY - Newly elected Oklahoma House Speaker Jeff Hickman has named Rep. Mike Ritze as chairman of House Public Safety Appropriations Subcommittee.
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Wyoming's chief information officer says the state is poised to expand the Internet system that serves public schools and state offices.