- Public gets its turn to discuss Louisiana budget Updated: Apr-14-14 4:58 pm
- Early literacy bill defines dyslexia for 1st time Updated: Apr-12-14 10:19 am
- Gov. Jan Brewer signs budget but vetoes some items Updated: Apr-11-14 8:46 pm
- Nixon announces education spending restrictions Updated: Apr-10-14 6:39 pm
- House passes Ryan budget with big cuts Updated: Apr-10-14 6:25 pm
- Oklahoma Democratic leader calls for museum vote Updated: Apr-10-14 5:44 pm
- GOP lawmakers balk when spending cuts turn real Updated: Apr-08-14 4:05 pm
- Medicaid change sought for disabled, elderly Updated: Apr-06-14 11:33 am
- Lawmakers again move to freeze their paychecks Updated: Apr-03-14 4:49 pm
- House panel debates bill to sell office buildings Updated: Apr-03-14 12:55 pm
- Nebraska lawmakers vote to override budget vetoes Updated: Apr-01-14 6:45 pm
- Nonprofit seeks state funds for child funerals Updated: Apr-01-14 2:28 pm
- Oklahoma teachers rally at Capitol for funding Updated: Mar-31-14 6:40 pm
- Senate committee approves Arizona DPS raises Updated: Mar-25-14 5:41 pm
- Iowa panel makes no change to revenue estimate Updated: Mar-20-14 6:54 pm
- House committee approves $1 million for pot study Updated: Mar-20-14 3:34 pm
- Winter's snowy barrage hammers US road budgets Updated: Mar-20-14 3:15 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Two women whose daughters were killed in traffic accidents pleaded with lawmakers Monday to spend more on cable median barriers that could have prevented the fatal collisions.
DES MOINES, Iowa - For the first time, dyslexia has been officially defined in Iowa law in an attempt to improve literacy among young students across the state.
PHOENIX - Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer on Friday signed the Legislature's $9.23 billion budget for the fiscal year starting July 1, calling it principled and fiscally prudent and a step in the right direction because it adds spending for child welfare services.
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon announced plans Thursday to freeze $22 million that had been budgeted for public schools and colleges because lawmakers failed to include enough money in a mid-year spending plan passed this week.
WASHINGTON - House Republicans rallied behind a slashing budget blueprint on Thursday, passing a non-binding but politically imposing measure that promises a balanced federal ledger in 10 years with sweeping budget cuts and termination of health care coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma House's top Democrat on Thursday called on the chamber's Republican leaders to schedule a vote on whether to provide funding to complete the American Indian Cultural Center & Museum in Oklahoma City.
WASHINGTON - When House Republicans pass Rep. Paul Ryan's budget for a fourth year in a row this week, they'll go on record again in favor of big spending cuts across a wide swath of programs, including Medicaid, food and farm aid and eliminating subsidies for Amtrak and airline flights to small cities.
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Some Missouri Republicans have remained adamantly opposed to expanding Medicaid to hundreds of thousands of adults by tapping into billions of federal dollars available under President Barack Obama's health care law.
WASHINGTON - With the approval ratings of Congress still in the gutter, House leaders are engineering another freeze in lawmakers' automatic cost-of-living pay hike.
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House Appropriations Committee is expected to vote Friday on a bill that would bill that would authorize sale of four Topeka state government buildings and possibly result in the demolition of the Docking high-rise across the street from the statehouse.
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska lawmakers voted Tuesday to override Gov. Dave Heineman's vetoes of state budget items, including funding for courtyard fountains and a new heating system at the Capitol.
DES MOINES, Iowa - A nonprofit group on Tuesday urged Iowa lawmakers to take action on a bill to provide financial assistance for low-income families who can't afford to bury their children.
OKLAHOMA CITY - A huge crowd of teachers, parents and children amassed at the Oklahoma Capitol building Monday to call for an increase in school funding, which hasn't reached its pre-recession levels despite the addition of tens of thousands more students to the state's classrooms.
PHOENIX - An Arizona Senate committee has approved a bill giving state police and other Department of Public Safety workers a $40 million raise over the next three years.
DES MOINES, Iowa - A panel of Iowa budget experts said Thursday that the state economy is slowly improving, but lower corn and soybean prices and other factors could be a drag on the farm sector. Their advice to lawmakers working on the state budget was to be cautious.
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The House Appropriations Committee has signed off on allocating $1 million to research a non-intoxicating form of medicinal marijuana to treat unmanageable epilepsy in children.
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - In Michigan's way-up-north Keweenaw Peninsula, where 200 inches of snow in a single season elicits barely a shrug, officials know there's nothing in the budget more important than keeping the roads passable.