- Sanders heads to New Hampshire after campaign launch Updated: May-27-15 3:49 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A day after launching his Democratic presidential campaign, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders is heading back over the border to New Hampshire.
- Court sets high bar on states' campaign contribution limits Updated: May-26-15 8:06 pm
HELENA, Montana - States may cap political donors' campaign contributions only if they can show that those limits are preventing corruption or the appearance of corruption, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday.
- Arkansas AG rejects language for campaign finance issue Updated: May-26-15 7:23 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas' attorney general has rejected language for a proposed initiated act on campaign financing that would go before voters next year.
- Vermont's Sanders kicks off 2016 bid from Clinton's left Updated: May-26-15 7:23 pm
BURLINGTON, Vermont - Challenging Hillary Rodham Clinton from the left, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders kicked off his presidential bid Tuesday with a pitch to liberals to join him in a "political revolution" to transform the nation's economy and politics.
- Bevin, McConnell joint appearances will have to wait Updated: May-26-15 4:45 pm
ELIZABETHTOWN, Kentucky - Kentucky Republicans waiting to see U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell put his arm around his political nemesis Matt Bevin will have to wait a little longer.
- Cops: Recent Yale grad stabs fellow student, jumps to death Updated: May-26-15 2:58 pm
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - A man who graduated from Yale University last week stabbed a fellow student at an off-campus apartment building Tuesday morning before jumping out of a ninth-floor window to his death, police said.
- Turkish opposition candidate shot in knee while campaigning Updated: May-26-15 5:01 am
ANKARA, Turkey - An official says an opposition party candidate has been hospitalized after being shot in the knee while campaigning for Turkey's general elections on June 7.
- Fiorina returns to New Hampshire Updated: May-26-15 4:14 am
NASHUA, New Hampshire - Former technology executive Carly Fiorina is returning to New Hampshire as she campaigns for the Republican presidential nomination.
- FIFA challenger says he was offered Blatter's financial info Updated: May-25-15 6:44 pm
ZURICH - Prince Ali bin al-Hussein's FIFA election team says it rejected a potentially illegal offer to help him oust President Sepp Blatter in Friday's election and informed law enforcement agencies about the approach.
- Independent candidate rides hatred of politics in Mexico Updated: May-25-15 2:32 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexicans' disgust with corrupt, aloof, high-living politicians has a name, and it's El Bronco. The horseback-riding, boot-clad, tough-talking Jaime Rodriguez lives up to his nickname.
- Hillary Clinton to visit Democratic event in Columbia Updated: May-25-15 11:34 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton's first campaign stop in South Carolina will be a speech to Democratic women who say they are trying to make South Carolina better.
- Ex-Israeli Premier Olmert sentenced to 8 months in prison Updated: May-25-15 8:56 am
JERUSALEM - Former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert was sentenced Monday to eight months in prison for unlawfully accepting money from a U.S. supporter, capping the dramatic downfall of a man who only years earlier led the country and hoped to bring about a historic peace agreement with the Palestinians.
- Q&A: A look at Nevada's debate over caucus vs. primary Updated: May-24-15 6:22 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Lawmakers are trying to change how Nevada votes for presidential candidates in a move that has major implications for the state's relevance on the campaign trail and who is likely to be the nominee.
- Lawmakers fail to ramp up ethics laws for Missouri officials Updated: May-24-15 2:19 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Like most years, Missouri state lawmakers in the 2015 legislative session introduced a number of bills aimed at clamping down on ethics laws considered some of the loosest in the nation.
- Campaign-style tactics fueling Illinois legislative gridlock Updated: May-24-15 10:12 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - An already challenging legislative session has grown even trickier as Democrats and Republicans have begun targeting lawmakers with campaign-style mailers, TV ads and new multimillion-dollar political committees.
- 'Bold' Ireland votes to legalize gay marriage in landslide Updated: May-23-15 6:25 pm
DUBLIN - Ireland's citizens have voted in a landslide to legalize gay marriage, electoral officials announced Saturday - a stunningly lopsided result that illustrates what Catholic leaders and rights activists alike called a "social revolution."
- Veterans frustrated by presidential debate on Iraq war Updated: May-23-15 12:22 pm
Veterans of the Iraq War have been watching in frustration as Republican presidential contenders distance themselves from the decision their party enthusiastically supported to invade that country.
- Pence passes up presidential bid, but future still cloudy Updated: May-23-15 10:25 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Gov. Mike Pence's decision not to fulfill the political buzz and chase White House dreams in 2016 doesn't necessarily clear up questions about his future.
- Lawmakers reject proposal for 72-hour donation reporting Updated: May-23-15 12:28 am
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada lawmakers have rejected a proposal that would have created much more substantial restrictions on campaign finance reporting.
- Cruz adds state Republican Party official to campaign team Updated: May-22-15 2:15 pm
LANSING, Michigan - A Michigan Republican Party official who specializes in grassroots outreach will be state director for the presidential campaign of Ted Cruz.
- Utah official took donation from 1-800 Contacts Updated: May-21-15 6:38 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes accepted a $5,000 campaign donation from a contact lens seller based in the state after his office began defending a new law that critics say was written at the company's behest.
- Democrats seek return to relevance in Tennessee politics Updated: May-21-15 5:51 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - For a party once accustomed to dominating state politics, the outlook for Tennessee Democrats is bleak.
- Walker misses jobs promise by about 121,000 jobs Updated: May-21-15 3:35 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker made it only about halfway toward fulfilling his signature 2010 campaign promise - repeated in the 2012 recall - that 250,000 private sector jobs would be created over four years under his leadership.
- Libertarian's elections complaint against Kasich dismissed Updated: May-21-15 2:23 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The state's Elections Commission dismissed a complaint Thursday alleging that Republican Gov. John Kasich's re-election campaign played a role in getting a Libertarian candidate bumped from last year's gubernatorial ballot.
- FIFA candidate Van Praag withdraws to support Prince Ali Updated: May-21-15 5:45 am
AMSTERDAM - FIFA presidential candidate Michael van Praag withdrew from the May 29 election against Sepp Blatter on Thursday, switching his support to FIFA vice president Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan.