- School-funding initiative backers keep outraising opponents Updated: Oct-10-15 10:01 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The most expensive ballot initiative campaign in Mississippi history got much costlier in September, as supporters of the Initiative 42 education funding measure continued outraising opponents.
- Flush with cash, Dems first on TV in Supreme Court campaign Updated: Oct-10-15 9:36 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Campaign ads in the multimillion-dollar race for three open seats on the Pennsylvania Supreme Court won't get any more polite than these.
- Miss. statewide incumbents raise more money than challengers Updated: Oct-09-15 8:36 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi's first-term Republican governor and lieutenant governor are collecting truckloads more campaign cash than their Democratic challengers, according to the latest campaign finance reports filed Friday.
- Utah lawmaker pleads guilty to fraud charge, resigns Updated: Oct-09-15 6:41 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - In a surprise move, a Utah state lawmaker pleaded guilty to fraud and resigned Friday, acknowledging he took about $24,000 in campaign money from his former boss, the mayor of Salt Lake County.
- Menendez appealing judge's rulings in corruption case Updated: Oct-09-15 4:55 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Attorneys for U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez of New Jersey filed notice Friday that they will appeal a judge's rulings rejecting their arguments to dismiss his corruption indictment.
- Ex-Sen. Bruno giving leftover $1.4M to NY Senate GOP Updated: Oct-09-15 3:32 pm
ALBANY, New York - The New York Senate's former longtime majority leader says he's giving $1.4 million left in campaign funds to the Senate Republican Campaign Committee and $100,000 to a scholarship fund.
- Poll: Guinta's support eroding amid financing scandal Updated: Oct-09-15 12:53 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A new poll shows that 50 percent of New Hampshire residents surveyed think U.S. Rep. Frank Guinta should resign amid his campaign finance troubles and 4 percent said they would back his re-election bid next year.
- Seattle City Council candidates raise millions for campaigns Updated: Oct-09-15 12:22 pm
SEATTLE - With three weeks left to raise money, candidates in the crowded Seattle City Council race have already raised record sums.
- Conservative groups target health care regulations Updated: Oct-09-15 10:46 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Politically active conservative nonprofit groups in Virginia have a new health care-related target: regulations for approving or rejecting medical facilities' construction plans.
- GOP's Kasich plans presidential campaign tour in NH, Vermont Updated: Oct-09-15 6:51 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) is planning several stops across New Hampshire and Vermont as he campaigns for the Republican presidential nomination.
- Sanders' debate mantra: Let Bernie be Bernie Updated: Oct-09-15 3:35 am
WASHINGTON - Forget about image consultants and mock stages. Bernie Sanders and his campaign team have a relatively simple plan for his first major debate: "Let Bernie be Bernie."
- AP source: Rubio raises $6M over last 3 months Updated: Oct-08-15 8:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Marco Rubio has raised roughly $6 million over the last three months for his Republican presidential bid.
- Ex-Chicago Public Schools leader charged with corruption Updated: Oct-08-15 7:13 pm
CHICAGO - The former CEO of Chicago Public Schools plans to plead guilty to corruption charges announced Thursday that allege she helped steer more than $23 million worth of no-bid contracts to education companies in exchange for hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes and kickbacks.
- Salt Lake City mayoral candidates square off in debate Updated: Oct-08-15 6:47 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker and challenger Jackie Biskupski squared off in a debate Thursday that covered issues ranging from the renovation of the airport to police dealings with the homeless.
- Analysts: Court ruling fuels bid to impeach Brazil president Updated: Oct-08-15 5:39 pm
SAO PAULO - President Dilma Rousseff's ability to govern Brazil has been dealt a serious blow by a federal audit court ruling that her government violated accounting practices and financial laws last year, a decision that could fuel efforts to impeach her, analysts said Thursday.
- Wisconsin to host Democratic presidential debate Updated: Oct-08-15 5:12 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin will host a Democratic presidential primary debate on Feb. 11.
- Clinton seeks crackdown for those breaking Wall Street rules Updated: Oct-08-15 4:09 pm
WASHINGTON - Just days before the first Democratic debate, Hillary Rodham Clinton released a series of proposals aimed at cracking down on bad behavior by Wall Street, vowing that individual bankers who violate the law will be "prosecuted and imprisoned."
- Trade deal, Keystone open Clinton to flip-flop charges Updated: Oct-08-15 3:47 pm
WASHINGTON - Martin O'Malley was blunt when he learned Hillary Rodham Clinton had announced her opposition to a Pacific Rim trade deal. "Wow, that's a reversal," he told reporters minutes after Clinton announced her shift.
- Hearing pushed back in secretary of state's fraud case Updated: Oct-08-15 2:33 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - A state judge decided Thursday that a legal team should get more time to prepare a defense to fraud and other charges against embattled Secretary of State Dianna Duran given the complexity of the case.
- Rubio's presidential bid boosted by secret-money commercials Updated: Oct-08-15 12:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Voters are beginning to learn about Republican presidential hopeful Marco Rubio.
- Miss. governor up with TV ads, but no air time yet for Dem Updated: Oct-08-15 5:40 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant's campaign is running its first TV commercials this election season, but a new analysis shows his Democratic challenger, truck driver Robert Gray, hasn't bought any air time.
- TV ad spending in Louisiana election at $9.4M and rising Updated: Oct-08-15 5:28 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Spending on TV advertising for Louisiana's Oct. 24 election has reached nearly $9.4 million, with the governor's race accounting for most of the money. But spending by candidates for attorney general and lieutenant governor are on the rise as the election nears.
- CU chancellor defends hosting GOP presidential debate Updated: Oct-08-15 5:02 am
BOULDER, Colorado - University of Colorado's chancellor is defending his decision to host the Republican presidential debate after students demanded the school pull its involvement if organizers refused to increase the number of tickets for students.
- Correction: Missouri Governor-Brunner story Updated: Oct-07-15 10:45 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - In a story Oct. 5 about John Brunner's entry into the 2016 race for Missouri governor, The Associated Press erroneously reported that Brunner so far had donated at least $87,600 to an exploratory committee. He had donated about $62,600, according to the latest campaign finance records available.
- The Latest: Candidates say tax break cuts would help budget Updated: Oct-07-15 9:33 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The latest on the Louisiana governor's race as three of the major candidates debate issues affecting the state: