- Secretary of state charged with theft, money laundering Updated: Aug-28-15 7:44 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - New Mexico's Democratic attorney general on Friday charged Republican Secretary of State Dianna Duran with embezzlement, fraud, money laundering and campaign finance violations, further widening a rift between the two over enforcement of the state's laws governing campaigns.
- GOP's tough talk doesn't square with US-China relationship Updated: Aug-28-15 6:37 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - If there was ever a week for the Republican presidential candidates to talk tough on China, this was it: Spurred by the stock market's wild ride, they lashed out at the world's most populous nation.
- The Latest: Sanders says party needs huge voter turnout Updated: Aug-28-15 4:39 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Here are the latest developments Friday from the Democratic National Committee meeting in Minneapolis, where four Democratic presidential candidates are addressing the party.
- Feds win fight for access to indicted Paul aide's Gmail Updated: Aug-28-15 2:36 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Federal prosecutors are prevailing in their yearlong fight to access the emails of a once-powerful Republican consultant from Google Inc.
- O'Malley makes presidential campaign stop in Tennessee Updated: Aug-28-15 8:53 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley knows he needs to make a big splash in early presidential contests like Iowa and New Hampshire, but he said he's already looking ahead to the next group of primary states like Tennessee in his bid for the Democratic nomination.
- Utah rally Saturday for GOP presidential candidate Rand Paul Updated: Aug-28-15 5:10 am
OREM, Utah - Republican presidential candidate Rand Paul is scheduled to be in Utah on Friday and Saturday for campaign events.
- Candidates looking to replace Schock meet for another debate Updated: Aug-27-15 11:08 pm
WASHINGTON, Illinois - The two candidates seeking Illinois' 18th Congressional District seat vacated by Aaron Schock for the most part reiterated their positions on the economy Thursday during a second debate in as many days.
- Pro-Vitter super PAC kicks off $2M TV ad campaign Friday Updated: Aug-27-15 7:24 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The super PAC created to boost David Vitter's candidacy for governor is starting its hefty $2 million advertising blitz a bit unexpectedly, praising the Republican U.S. senator rather than trashing his competitors.
- Christie embarks on TV blitz to gain campaign traction Updated: Aug-27-15 7:18 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie embarked on a TV blitz Thursday as he works to gain traction in his 2016 Republican presidential primary campaign.
- Congressman, North Carolina lawmakers supporting Jeb Bush Updated: Aug-27-15 5:40 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A congressman and key General Assembly leaders are atop Jeb Bush's campaign support group in North Carolina.
- Another candidate jumps in La. insurance commissioner race Updated: Aug-27-15 3:44 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Insurance Commissioner Jim Donelon has picked up another challenge to his fall re-election bid.
- Ex-Republican House staffer imprisoned 1 year for mail fraud Updated: Aug-27-15 3:00 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - George Gallo, the former chief of staff to the Connecticut House Republicans, was sentenced Thursday to a year and a day in prison for taking more than $100,000 in payments from a political campaign direct mail company to which he steered business.
- Warren, coy on whether to seek re-election, stockpiles cash Updated: Aug-27-15 2:08 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren is stockpiling campaign cash from liberal supporters across the country even though she hasn't committed to a 2018 re-election bid.
- Hamton, Overly set for debate next month in Midway Updated: Aug-27-15 4:03 am
MIDWAY, Kentucky - Republican candidate for lieutenant governor Jenean Hampton and Democratic opponent Sannie Overly are scheduled to appear in a televised debate next month.
- Maryland governor to host fundraiser for Chris Christie Updated: Aug-27-15 2:19 am
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan is scheduled to host a fundraiser for New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's presidential bid.
- Rand Paul makes Northwest campaign stops Updated: Aug-26-15 3:03 pm
SEATTLE - Republican presidential candidate Rand Paul, making the first of several Pacific Northwest campaign stops in Seattle, spoke about constitutional issues and dysfunction in the nation's capital.
- Talladega mayor loses re-election bid after assault Updated: Aug-25-15 11:47 pm
TALLADEGA, Alabama - An Alabama mayor who had been re-elected in 2011 despite a federal conviction and recently was recovering from an assault lost a bid for a fifth term in office Tuesday.
- Fox News chief: Donald Trump owes Megyn Kelly an apology Updated: Aug-25-15 7:04 pm
NEW YORK - Fox News chief Roger Ailes said Tuesday that Donald Trump owes the network's Megyn Kelly an apology for an unprovoked Twitter attack that "is as unacceptable as it is disturbing," but Trump isn't backing down.
- Perry, Santorum presidential hopes undercut by own donors Updated: Aug-25-15 3:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The two returning Republican presidential candidates have struggled to keep their own donors interested.
- Justice Dept. pushes back against Sen. Menendez's defense Updated: Aug-24-15 11:13 pm
WASHINGTON - The Justice Department pushed back Monday against efforts by Sen. Bob Menendez to dismiss the corruption indictment against him, calling the case the result of an "exhaustive, focused and disciplined" investigation that spanned more than two years.
- Former Missouri House speaker gives $562K to GOP committee Updated: Aug-24-15 7:46 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Former Republican Missouri House Speaker Steve Tilley has given more than half a million dollars to a GOP political action committee.
- Group turns over donor list from gay marriage fight in Maine Updated: Aug-24-15 5:35 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - The president of a hedge fund contributed $1.25 million to the National Organization for Marriage's efforts to defeat Maine's gay marriage law in 2009, providing more than half of national anti-gay marriage group's donations during the campaign, according to a campaign disclosure report.
- Eldridge says he's looking at US Senate race in Arkansas Updated: Aug-24-15 5:23 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Former federal prosecutor Conner Eldridge said Monday he's considering challenging Republican U.S. Sen. John Boozman in Arkansas next year and plans to make a decision in the coming weeks.
- Dominating TV, Donald Trump a ratings draw Updated: Aug-24-15 3:11 pm
NEW YORK - Opinion polls are one thing, but Nielsen numbers speak more loudly to television executives: Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump's ability to pull in viewers makes him catnip for news programs and wins a level of coverage that feeds on itself.
- Lawmakers spent $30K of campaign funds on pro sports tickets Updated: Aug-23-15 5:13 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A recent analysis of state campaign finance records show at least seven Tennessee lawmakers collectively spent more than $30,000 in campaign money on tickets to professional sporting events since 2003.