- New Mississippi voters face Saturday registration deadline Updated: Jul-03-15 9:43 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - New Mississippi voters must be registered by Saturday if they want to participate in the Aug. 4 party primaries.
- Heeding Francis, Iowa Catholic leaders to pressure '16 field Updated: Jul-02-15 3:40 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Roman Catholic leaders in the early voting state of Iowa will call Thursday on candidates for president to follow the teachings of Pope Francis and focus as much on the environment and income inequality in 2016 as they have in past elections on opposing gay marriage and abortion.
- Magoffin judge-executive trying to halt removal from office Updated: Jul-01-15 3:59 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The Magoffin County judge-executive is seeking reconsideration of a decision that would force him out of office because of corruption accusations.
- Federal trial next month won't address NC voter ID mandate Updated: Jun-30-15 6:38 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A federal trial next month on several provisions of North Carolina's 2013 elections law won't consider challenges to the state's upcoming voter identification requirement in light of recent changes to the mandate, a judge has ruled.
- Collection of recent editorials from Oklahoma newspapers Updated: Jun-30-15 11:20 am
A collection of recent editorials from Oklahoma newspapers:
- Justices will hear new case on Arizona state redistricting Updated: Jun-30-15 10:30 am
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court agreed Tuesday to hear a new case about the drawing of state legislative districts in Arizona by an independent commission, a day after the justices upheld the commission's congressional map-drawing.
- Kobach: No plans to change dual voter registration system Updated: Jun-29-15 5:14 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Kansas residents can register to vote using a federal form without having to provide proof of citizenship under Monday's U.S. Supreme Court ruling, but they won't be allowed to vote in state and local elections, the state's top election official said.
- Burundians vote in parliamentary elections marred by unrest Updated: Jun-29-15 2:49 pm
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - Burundians voted Monday in parliamentary elections marked by an opposition boycott and the threat of violence in the capital.
- Pro-European candidate leads in Moldova vote Updated: Jun-28-15 7:07 pm
CHISINAU, Moldova - Near-final results gave a pro-European Union candidate a comfortable lead in the runoff vote for mayor of Moldova's biggest city Sunday, in an election seen as a test of whether the former Soviet republic moves closer to the EU or to neighboring Russia.
- Changes to NC voter ID rankle some, but could preserve law Updated: Jun-28-15 11:05 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Federal and state lawsuits filed nearly two years ago challenging what's in North Carolina's election overhaul law are finally heading to trial starting next month.
- Voters to decide measures altering Kenai elections Updated: Jun-25-15 2:53 pm
KENAI, Alaska - Kenai voters in October will decide on three ballot measures that make changes to the city's election process.
- Senate OKs bill to allow Ohioans to register online to vote Updated: Jun-24-15 3:45 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohioans could register online to vote under a measure passed by the swing state's Senate.
- Sly James re-elected as Kansas City mayor Updated: Jun-24-15 8:59 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Sly James was re-elected to a second term as Kansas City mayor in an election with extremely low voter turnout.
- Massachusetts launches online voting registration system Updated: Jun-23-15 6:48 pm
BOSTON - Massachusetts is now the 21st state to offer online voter registration.
- New Bedford voters to decide on $650M casino proposal Updated: Jun-23-15 2:32 am
NEW BEDFORD, Massachusetts - Residents of the former whaling capital of New Bedford will vote on a proposed $650 million Foxwoods resort casino for the city's waterfront.
- Lawmakers advance Democrats' election law overhaul Updated: Jun-22-15 3:07 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey residents could be automatically enrolled to vote when they apply for a driver's license or register online under an election law overhaul being considered by an Assembly panel.
- Registration for Navajo language referendum closes Monday Updated: Jun-21-15 7:14 pm
WINDOW ROCK, Arizona - Navajos who want a say in changing the language requirements for the tribe's top two elected posts have until the close of business Monday to register to vote.
- Denmark's center-right opposition wins election Updated: Jun-18-15 8:31 pm
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Denmark's center-right opposition won a parliamentary election after strong gains by an anti-immigration party that wants to limit the European Union's influence over the small Nordic country.
- Voting rights rally set next week in Roanoke Updated: Jun-18-15 2:49 am
ROANOKE, Virginia - Civil rights and voting rights activists will hold a rally in Roanoke to mark the second anniversary of a Supreme Court ruling that dismantled a key provision of the Voting Rights Act.
- Arkansas scales back voting machine plan to 4 counties Updated: Jun-17-15 5:55 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas Secretary of State Mark Martin is scaling back plans to replace the state's voting machines for next year's primary and says the new equipment will instead be deployed in just four counties.
- Ohio elections chief flags voter forms from marijuana group Updated: Jun-17-15 5:38 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Voter registrations collected by a marijuana legalization campaign are to be closely scrutinized for potential fraud under orders the state's elections chief delivered Wednesday.
- Nebraska-based company picked for new Arkansas voting system Updated: Jun-16-15 4:41 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas Secretary of State Mark Martin has selected a vendor to purchase a statewide voting system from that submitted a more expensive proposal than those offered by two competitors.
- Sully County voters to decide ethanol plant rezoning issue Updated: Jun-16-15 8:04 am
ONIDA, South Dakota - Sully County voters are deciding whether to rezone land near Onida for a proposed ethanol plant.
- Study: The greener a state's legislator, the cleaner the air Updated: Jun-15-15 4:00 pm
WASHINGTON - States where the congressional delegation votes greener tend to have air that's cleaner, spewing less heat-trapping gas, a new study finds.
- Check-cashing scheme arrests prompt voter privacy concerns Updated: Jun-15-15 9:40 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The DoÃ±a Ana County Clerk wants to end the use of complete Social Security numbers for voter registrations.