- The Latest: Maine boosts availability of overdose antidote Updated: Apr-29-16 6:30 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - The Latest on veto votes by the Maine Legislature (all times local):
- British Court rejects bid from expats for voting rights Updated: Apr-28-16 6:41 am
LONDON - A British court has ruled that Britons who have lived abroad for more than 15 years do not have the right to vote in the June 23 referendum on Britain's continued membership in the European Union.
- Marijuana legalization clears hurdle to Maine ballot Updated: Apr-27-16 10:11 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - A referendum proposal to legalize marijuana for recreational use in Maine has met the threshold to appear on the November ballot, Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap said Wednesday.
- The Latest: Marijuana legalization clears hurdle to ballot Updated: Apr-27-16 2:56 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - The Latest on a referendum proposal to legalize marijuana in Maine (all times local):
- Thailand's military government cracks down on opponents Updated: Apr-27-16 10:22 am
BANGKOK - Thailand's military government on Wednesday turned up the pressure on its opponents, filing a legal complaint against critics of a proposed new constitution and detaining 10 people in connection with social media postings.
- Venezuela paves way for petition to recall Maduro Updated: Apr-26-16 7:17 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's electoral council on Tuesday took steps to allow opponents of President Nicolas Maduro to try and initiate a recall referendum against the socialist leader.
- GOP offers minimum wage hike; Democrats call it a diversion Updated: Apr-26-16 5:23 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Republican lawmakers are pushing a bill to hike the minimum wage this summer, but Democrats say it's a ploy to undermine a more ambitious pay increase that voters are set to decide on the November state ballot.
- Venezuela court blocks bid to cut short president's term Updated: Apr-25-16 10:08 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's supreme court has struck down an attempt by the opposition to cut short President Nicolas Maduros' term in office, ruling that a proposed constitutional amendment to that effect cannot be applied retroactively.
- Immigration takes center stage in UK campaign to leave EU Updated: Apr-25-16 6:01 am
LONDON - U.K. politicians who want Britain to leave the European Union are fighting back after President Barack Obama sided with those who want the country to stay in the 28-nation bloc.
- Without a referendum, Vermont may lag in push to OK pot Updated: Apr-24-16 9:46 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The cartoon joint, bruised and battered to represent a bill to legalize marijuana in Vermont, laments that "they're gutting me in the House." A smoother, happier joint, representing Massachusetts, replies, "Dude, I'm serious! You gotta try a hit of this citizen's initiative stuff!"
- Maricopa County prints Spanish language ballot with error Updated: Apr-22-16 7:46 pm
PHOENIX - The Spanish language version of the Maricopa County ballot for the May 17 statewide special election contains a misprint that will require postcards to be mailed to 1.3 million early ballot recipients.
- Romania party chief gets 2-year suspended sentence for fraud Updated: Apr-22-16 3:10 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - A Romanian court on Friday handed a two-year suspended prison sentence to the chairman of Romania's main political party for voting fraud in a referendum to impeach Romania's former president.
- Property tax-freeze champ Rauner says House plan not enough Updated: Apr-21-16 5:38 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner says a House-approved property-tax freeze doesn't go far enough.
- Ducey opponent Fred DuVal backing Proposition 123 Updated: Apr-20-16 8:46 pm
PHOENIX - Republican Gov. Doug Ducey's Democratic opponent in the 2014 governor's race joined with him Wednesday to support a voter referendum that will boost school funding.
- Chilean ex-President Aylwin dies; led return to democracy Updated: Apr-19-16 1:11 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Patricio Aylwin, a lanky law professor who played a decisive role in restoring Chile's democracy after 17 years of brutal dictatorship and was later elected president, died on Tuesday. He was 97.
- Italian referendum on oil concessions fails to reach quorum Updated: Apr-17-16 6:50 pm
MILAN - Italian Premier Matteo Renzi says the jobs of oil workers have been preserved by the failure of a referendum that aimed to curtail the duration of existing drilling concessions in territorial waters.
- Delaware lawmakers eye voting by mail for school elections Updated: Apr-13-16 6:08 pm
DOVER, Delaware - A bill mandating that all school elections in Delaware be conducted by mail has run into a roadblock in the Senate.
- UK decides Vote Leave group will lead 'out of EU' campaign Updated: Apr-13-16 11:21 am
LONDON - Britain's electoral commission has decided the Vote Leave group will be designated as the standard bearer for those pushing for Britain's exit from the 28-nation European Union in a June 23 referendum.
- Marijuana referendum bill dies Updated: Apr-13-16 4:54 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A bill that would have allowed Tennesseans to weigh in on whether to decriminalize possession of low-level amounts of marijuana has failed in the Legislature.
- Sudan holds Darfur referendum that US says undermines peace Updated: Apr-11-16 2:47 pm
CAIRO - Residents in Sudan's western region of Darfur began voting Monday on whether to unify the region's five states, in a referendum the U.S. said would "undermine the peace process."
- Hungary moving to lift disputed Sunday shopping ban Updated: Apr-11-16 10:39 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungary's government said Monday it had asked parliament to repeal a year-old, very unpopular law banning most retail stores from opening on Sundays.
- Britain's 'out' campaigners mistrust the EU, and each other Updated: Apr-10-16 6:46 am
LONDON - Tempers are flaring and insults are flying in Britain's battle over the European Union. Leading campaigners have branded one another elitist, irrelevant and unfit to run a sweet shop - and they're all on the same side.
- Battered EU is loser again in Dutch referendum on Ukraine Updated: Apr-07-16 3:38 pm
BRUSSELS - It once seemed a quaint formality, but the Netherlands' referendum on a European Union free-trade deal with Ukraine amounted to a slap in the face for the EU - and yet another serious challenge to the European dream.
- Wisconsin village ends longstanding ban on alcohol sales Updated: Apr-06-16 11:26 am
EPHRAIM, Wisconsin - Voters have lifted a longstanding ban on alcohol sales in a small northeastern Wisconsin village that was the state's last dry municipality.
- Hungarian court clears way for referendum on Sunday shop ban Updated: Apr-06-16 9:35 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungary's supreme court on Wednesday allowed the opposition Socialist Party to seek signatures demanding a referendum on a year-old law forcing most retail stores to close on Sundays.