- Yes or no? Ireland decides whether to legalize gay marriage Updated: May-22-15 6:55 pm
DUBLIN - Voters determined to have their voice heard on gay marriage turned out in strength Friday for Ireland's most hard-fought referendum in decades, a contest that pitted the liberal forces of social change against the nation's conservative Catholic foundation.
- Thailand's government approves referendum on constitution Updated: May-19-15 6:39 am
BANGKOK - Thailand's military government on Tuesday approved holding a referendum on the newly drafted constitution, the prime minister said, but he indicated that the decision could delay a general election.
- House Speaker proposes raising gas taxes to help fund roads Updated: May-13-15 6:13 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Republican House Speaker Kevin Cotter proposed a plan Wednesday to increase the amount of long-term funding available for road repairs in Michigan, just over a week after voters overwhelmingly rejected a sales tax referendum that would have helped pay for them.
- Scottish National Party landslide shakes up UK politics Updated: May-08-15 1:57 pm
GLASGOW, Scotland - The last time Britain held a national election, Mhairi Black wasn't old enough to vote. On Friday, the 20-year-old university student was elected to Parliament as part of a Scottish nationalist wave that has transformed British politics and raised questions about the country's future.
- Indiana school referendums get mixed results from voters Updated: May-06-15 6:46 pm
BROWNSBURG, Indiana - School superintendents in southwestern Indiana and an Indianapolis suburb explored their options Wednesday after voters rejected tax increases in their districts.
- British markets bracing for post-election uncertainty Updated: May-05-15 9:25 am
LONDON - British financial markets could be headed for choppy waters after Thursday's general election, as investors face the prospect of it taking days - even weeks - to form a new government.
- Should Britain stay in the EU? Question hovers in election Updated: May-03-15 9:50 am
LONDON - Ian Robinson, co-owner of a small investment firm in London, is watching Britain's general election this Thursday with unease.
- Suit challenging Arizona land funding proposal being dropped Updated: May-01-15 8:41 am
PHOENIX - An advocacy group is at least temporarily dropping a lawsuit challenging a planned 2016 referendum asking Arizona voters to authorize paying for the administration of state trust land by diverting money from public schools and other trust beneficiaries.
- Utah County residents file petitions against bus route Updated: Apr-30-15 1:17 pm
PROVO, Utah - Eight people opposed to the Utah County Commissioners' bonding for up to $65 million for a new bus route have filed a petition for a referendum.
- $650 million casino proposal put to referendum Updated: Apr-24-15 5:13 am
NEW BEDFORD, Massachusetts - New Bedford City Council has voted to order a referendum on a $650 million casino, hotel and conference center development proposed for the city's waterfront.
- Hamas wins student council vote at top West Bank university Updated: Apr-23-15 9:34 am