- Senate approves online voter registration bill Updated: Feb-09-16 11:17 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The state Senate passed a bill Tuesday that would allow Wisconsin residents to register to vote online, putting the state on track to join 30 other states that offer online registration.
- New Hampshire voters take to polls in 1st-in-nation primary Updated: Feb-09-16 1:41 pm
New Hampshire hosts the first-in-the-nation presidential primary, featuring candidates for the Republican and Democratic nomination. Of the state's 1.33 million residents, more than 870,000 residents are registered to vote. Polls started opening at 7 a.m., except for a handful of communities that begin voting just after midnight. In Dixville Notch, voters in that tiny town gave Republican Ohio Gov. John Kasich two votes, Republican Donald Trump got two and U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders won four votes for his Democratic bid.
- House agrees to double donor limit ahead of pivotal election Updated: Feb-08-16 7:36 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - House Democrats and Republicans agreed to double how much money people can donate to political candidates, potentially raising the stakes for the November elections that could determine who controls state government.
- Attorney General to prosecute case against poll workers Updated: Feb-08-16 7:56 am
BUDE, Mississippi - The Attorney General's Office has taken over the prosecution in a voting fraud case filed last year against five southwestern Mississippi poll workers.
- Cruz seeks to appeal to supporters on fringe of GOP Updated: Feb-08-16 3:39 am
PETERBOROUGH, New Hampshire - Some politicians run from polarizing endorsements. Ted Cruz seeks them out.
- Name of Myanmar's next president to be known March 17 Updated: Feb-08-16 1:32 am
NAYPYITAW, Myanmar - The names of Myanmar's next president and two vice presidents will be revealed on March 17, an official said Monday, setting a clear timeline for the transition of power from a military-controlled government to democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi's party.
- Editorials from around New England Updated: Feb-06-16 1:17 pm
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New England newspapers:
- North Carolina elections take shape with fundraising numbers Updated: Feb-04-16 6:24 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina's March 15 primary and the November general election are taking shape as candidates and party committees disclosed financial reports over the past week as state and federal filing deadlines came and went.
- Toomey endorsing Rubio in presidential race Updated: Feb-03-16 6:23 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania Sen. Pat Toomey endorsed Florida Sen. Marco Rubio for the Republican presidential nomination on Wednesday, backing a candidate who he said has the best chance to win in the fall and be a great president.
- Ryan calls for unity, less anger from his fractious GOP Updated: Feb-03-16 3:07 pm
WASHINGTON - House Speaker Paul Ryan called on Republicans Wednesday to unify and stop fighting each other as he tried steering his fractious party into an election year devoid of the collisions between conservatives and pragmatists that transformed parts of 2015 into a GOP nightmare.
- Medical marijuana will not be on 2016 ballot Updated: Feb-03-16 10:14 am
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Hopes for Wyoming voters to legalize medical marijuana this year went up in smoke as organizers fell thousands of signatures short of getting the question on the 2016 ballot.
- Fundraising reports set tone for tussle over Legislature Updated: Feb-02-16 5:50 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The quest for cash is on in Minnesota's 2016 elections. New campaign finance reports released Tuesday show political groups and candidates have already socked away millions of dollars for the fight for control of the Legislature.
- Irish unemployment falls to 7-year low of 8.6 percent Updated: Feb-02-16 7:22 am
DUBLIN - Ireland's unemployment rate has fallen to a seven-year low of 8.6 percent as the country - buoyant again after years of gloom and austerity - faces an election.
- Australian official says PM is considering an early election Updated: Feb-02-16 12:17 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister told government colleagues Tuesday that an early general election within weeks was "a live option," an official said.
- Correction: Raimondo-State of the State story Updated: Feb-01-16 11:21 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - In a story Jan. 31 about Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo, The Associated Press reported erroneously that she narrowly won the 2014 primary and general election to become governor. In the Democratic primary, she won 42.1 percent over the second-place finisher's 29.1 percent in a three-way race. In the general election, she won 40.7 percent over the second-place finisher's 36.2 percent in another three-way race.
- The Latest: Trump campaign says rally raised $6 million Updated: Jan-28-16 11:47 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Latest on developments from the 2016 Republican race for president, less than a week out from the Iowa caucuses (all times local):
- Florida Democrats have clear choice in race to replace Rubio Updated: Jan-28-16 11:28 am
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida Democrats must decide whether their best shot at winning the Senate seat now held by Marco Rubio is a liberal firebrand who has said the GOP health plan was to hope people die quickly, or a moderate Democrat who often votes with Republicans.
- PM says Singapore will allow more opposition lawmakers Updated: Jan-27-16 9:22 am
SINGAPORE - Singapore's prime minister on Wednesday announced constitutional amendments that would result in more opposition politicians in Parliament, long dominated by his ruling People's Action Party.
- Attorney general Fox files for re-election; no opponents yet Updated: Jan-26-16 8:19 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - Montana Attorney General Tim Fox has filed for re-election but so far faces no opponents in the primary or general election.
- Member of House leadership decides not to seek re-election Updated: Jan-25-16 7:38 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - State Rep. Johnny Bell, a member of House Democratic leadership, said Monday that he has decided not to seek re-election this year as his party tries to maintain its fragile majority in the chamber.
- Kobach seeks to mandate audits of Kansas election results Updated: Jan-25-16 6:50 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Secretary of State Kris Kobach is proposing to have Kansas counties audit voting results immediately after the state's primary and general elections.
- 2016 battlegrounds bring rural focus to legislative session Updated: Jan-24-16 11:07 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The battle for greater Minnesota at the ballot box in November is already taking shape at the Capitol.
- As Bloomberg weighs White House run, Iowa voters ask, 'Who?' Updated: Jan-23-16 7:11 pm
DAVENPORT, Iowa - Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's latest flirtation with a White House run has set the political world aflutter.
- AP sources: Bloomberg eyeing independent White House bid Updated: Jan-23-16 1:44 pm
NEW YORK - Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg is taking early steps toward launching an independent campaign for president, seeing a potential path to the White House amid the rise of Republican Donald Trump and Democrat Bernie Sanders.
- Clinton's response to Sanders has some Democrats worried Updated: Jan-22-16 4:17 am
WASHINGTON - Hillary Clinton has questioned Bernie Sanders' electability. She's criticized his plans for health care, foreign policy and Wall Street. And she's tagged him with flip-flopping on gun control.