- Small slice of voters could decide DC mayoral race Updated: Mar-09-14 10:56 am
- Pa. candidates face Tuesday deadline for petitions Updated: Mar-09-14 10:02 am
- Senate comebacks after a decade possible but rare Updated: Mar-09-14 9:13 am
- Morales tops convention gubernatorial balloting Updated: Mar-08-14 11:44 pm
- Morales tops convention gubernatorial balloting Updated: Mar-08-14 10:35 pm
- GOP fundraiser Welch dies at 80 Updated: Mar-08-14 3:03 pm
- Tea party member Fisher seeks Mass. primary spot Updated: Mar-08-14 10:32 am
- 2 Ohio Libertarians lose spots on primary ballot Updated: Mar-07-14 6:31 pm
- NH court rejects former House speaker's appeal Updated: Mar-07-14 4:17 pm
- Candidates qualifying for top Ga. primary races Updated: Mar-07-14 1:55 pm
- Candidate fields set for GA May primary elections Updated: Mar-07-14 1:49 pm
- Illinois governor's race showcases union fears Updated: Mar-07-14 10:23 am
- GOP pushes bill to limit party switching to vote Updated: Mar-06-14 12:56 pm
- Dillard: GOP early voting isn't always beneficial Updated: Mar-05-14 9:16 pm
- Republicans rule Taylor can stay on party ballot Updated: Mar-05-14 7:20 pm
- Utah Legislature approves Count My Vote deal Updated: Mar-05-14 6:44 pm
- Arkansas officials eye changes to Medicaid plan Updated: Mar-05-14 6:28 pm
- Lt. Gov. Dewhurst fights for survival in GOP race Updated: Mar-05-14 6:28 pm
- Romney backs Iowa Republican Ernst for US Senate Updated: Mar-05-14 5:46 pm
- York endorses Raimondo in RI governor's race Updated: Mar-05-14 5:33 pm
- Pension, gay marriage votes stir primary contests Updated: Mar-05-14 5:13 pm
- Mass. special election primaries held Updated: Mar-05-14 7:17 am
- US Sen. Cornyn tops Stockman, wins GOP primary Updated: Mar-05-14 1:23 am
- Incumbents and conservatives win in Texas primary Updated: Mar-05-14 12:29 am
- Patrick excited about lieutenant guv race runoff Updated: Mar-04-14 11:37 pm
WASHINGTON - In 2010, Vincent Gray received 72,648 votes in the District of Columbia's Democratic mayoral primary. That was good enough for a nearly 10-percentage point victory over incumbent Adrian Fenty, but it meant that just 22 percent of the city's registered Democrats cast ballots for Gray.
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A day of reckoning is fast approaching for the candidates for Pennsylvania governor.
CONCORD, New Hampshire - As Republican Bob Smith explained his decision to run for his old U.S. Senate seat last week, a supporter standing next to him quipped, "Bill Clinton isn't the only Comeback Kid!"
LAGUNA PUEBLO, New Mexico - Sen. Howie Morales of Silver City made a strong showing Saturday at a Democratic Party nominating convention, earning the top spot on the June primary ballot in the race for governor.
LAGUNA PUEBLO, New Mexico - Sen. Howie Morales of Silver City has earned the top spot on the Democratic primary ballot in the race for governor.
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Ted Welch, a prolific fundraiser in Tennessee Republican politics for four decades, has died. He was 80.
BOSTON - Mark Fisher makes no apologies for being a tea party member or for his belief in a minimalist government even while running for office in a state where many Republicans prefer to stay closer to the political center.
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Two Libertarian candidates for statewide office were tossed from Ohio's primary ballot on Friday in a state election chief's ruling that sparked immediate plans for a legal challenge.
CONCORD, New Hampshire - The New Hampshire Supreme Court on Friday rejected an appeal by former Republican House Speaker Bill O'Brien, saying he suffered no harm from a 2010 primary election eve "Robocall" message from the state Democratic party.
ATLANTA - The final list of candidates who signed up for top races in Georgia primary elections May 20, according to Secretary of State Brian Kemp's office. The deadline to qualify was noon Friday.
ATLANTA - The list of Georgia candidates running for state and federal offices in the May 20 primaries has been set.
CHICAGO - When superrich Republican Bruce Rauner decided to run for governor of Illinois, it was clear this wouldn't be the kind of race the state was accustomed to. Rauner, who made his fortune as a venture capitalist, was new to campaigning and bragged of being beholden to no one. He came out swinging at entrenched special interests and "government union bosses" with an intensity not seen before.
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Senate committee on Thursday recommended passage of a bill sought by the Kansas Republican Party that would make it more difficult for voters to switch parties before voting in primary elections.
CHICAGO - Early voting has started for Illinois' March 18 primary but one Republican gubernatorial candidate says it's not always a good idea to cast an early ballot.
JACKSON, Mississippi - Former Democratic Mississippi congressman Gene Taylor will stay on the Republican primary ballot opposing incumbent U.S. Rep. Steven Palazzo.
SALT LAKE CITY - A deal between Utah legislators and a group pushing to overhaul Utah's system for nominating political candidates is headed for Gov. Gary Herbert's desk.
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - With Arkansas' model plan to use Medicaid funds to purchase private insurance for the poor spared for another year, backers of the nationally watched program are now focusing on changes that will be needed to keep it alive in the future.
AUSTIN, Texas - Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst has a lengthy incumbency, a personal fortune, a conservative record and friendships with the rich and powerful. But he may lack the one thing he needs most to save his political career: the love of the Republican primary voter.
DES MOINES, Iowa - Former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney is endorsing for re-election a handful of federal lawmakers, as well as a state senator from Iowa seeking that state's GOP Senate nomination.
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Democratic candidate for governor Gina Raimondo on Wednesday snagged the endorsement of former three-time gubernatorial candidate Myrth York, a progressive Democrat who had strongly supported Raimondo's rival, Providence Mayor Angel Taveras in his mayoral run.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Four months ago, state Rep. Christian Mitchell made a tough vote in favor of Illinois' landmark state pension overhaul. Now he's facing the repercussions.
BOSTON - A former state parks official has won the Democratic nomination to succeed Boston Mayor Martin Walsh in the state House of Representatives.
AUSTIN, Texas - U.S. Sen. John Cornyn trounced a conservative Texas congressman Tuesday night to claim the Republican nomination, a victory that could ease his path to re-election after some tea party activists targeted him as too moderate.
AUSTIN, Texas - Republicans voted for tried-and-true incumbents and fire-breathing conservatives Tuesday during the Texas primary elections, while Democrats learned they still have a lot of building to do if they hope to compete in November.
HOUSTON - Houston Sen. Dan Patrick says his strong showing in the GOP race for Texas lieutenant governor shows that the tea party is "alive and well" in the state.