- Challenger to Va. House speaker says policy change unfair Updated: May-22-15 2:24 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - The woman trying to unseat Virginia House Speaker William J. Howell in next month's GOP primary says the board of elections has given her opponent an unfair advantage.
- Alabama to join 'SEC primary' in 2016 presidential race Updated: May-21-15 9:11 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama lawmakers have voted to join the "SEC primary" as southern states band together to try to get more attention from 2016 presidential hopefuls.
- Kansas House approves variety of election changes Updated: May-21-15 8:47 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House approved a measure Thursday that would move local elections to the fall in odd-numbered years in a bid to boost turnout.
- Louisiana House passes $24B budget proposal for next year Updated: May-21-15 7:40 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A $24.3 billion budget proposal for next year that contains fewer cuts than lawmakers had feared but still leaves public health care programs short received passage Thursday from the Louisiana House.
- Heath asks for review of results in GOP agriculture primary Updated: May-21-15 3:33 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Richard Heath has asked for a review of Tuesday's election results in the Republican primary for state agriculture commissioner.
- Fired Rutherford employees seek back pay, threaten lawsuit Updated: May-21-15 3:02 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Three ex-state employees who claim former Treasurer Dan Rutherford fired them 10 months ago in retaliation for providing damaging evidence in a sexual harassment investigation are threatening legal action unless the state gives them back pay and scrubs personnel records of the misconduct charges used to show them the door, according to documents obtained by The Associated Press.
- Kansas House approves variety of election changes Updated: May-21-15 2:22 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House has approved a measure that would move local elections to the fall in odd-numbered years.
- James Comer asks for review of election results Updated: May-20-15 4:27 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Republican James Comer has officially requested a review of Kentucky's election results after initial tallies showed him in second place by just 83 votes.
- Poll: Voters showing little interest in 2016 Senate contest Updated: May-20-15 12:23 pm
LOS ANGELES - So far, California's U.S. Senate contest has been a snoozer.
- Parties pick 5 endorsed candidates for state's highest court Updated: May-19-15 11:25 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania Democrats and Republicans demonstrated Tuesday that party endorsements count as they nominated five party-backed candidates for the state Supreme Court.
- Latest in Pennsylvania primary: Wojcik is appellate nominee Updated: May-19-15 11:24 pm
- Turnout for Kentucky voting more than projected Updated: May-19-15 10:51 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Turnout for Kentucky's primary election surpassed the secretary of state's original projection and reached more than 12 1/2 percent by the time most of the votes were counted.
- GOP primary for governor in Kentucky too close to call Updated: May-19-15 10:19 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Kentucky's volatile Republican primary for governor ended in a virtual tie Tuesday night as only a handful of votes separated Matt Bevin and James Comer.
- Allison Ball wins GOP primary for Kentucky treasurer Updated: May-19-15 9:33 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Allison Ball has won the Republican primary for state treasurer in Kentucky, defeating two other candidates.
- Election Fraud Hotline fields 16 calls during primary voting Updated: May-19-15 8:28 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The Kentucky attorney general's Election Fraud Hotline has closed for the day after receiving a total of 16 calls during primary election voting.
- Kentucky voters weigh hotly contested GOP governor's primary Updated: May-19-15 7:03 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - As a bitterly contested Republican primary for governor wound to a close, Kentucky voters headed to the polls Tuesday to sort through the contenders in both parties - and weigh in on some of the allegations that have surfaced on the Republican side.
- Florida's GOP primary could give a boost to a favorite son Updated: May-19-15 5:06 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida has put itself in a position to help the White House bids of either former Gov. Jeb Bush or Sen. Marco Rubio, by setting up a winner-take-all Republican presidential primary as early as possible in the nominating calendar.
- Democratic Senate candidate wants 6 Ohio primary debates Updated: May-19-15 1:38 pm
CINCINNATI - A Cincinnati city councilman running for U.S. Senate proposed six Democratic primary debates around Ohio with his veteran opponent.
- Rand Paul vows to filibuster to block Patriot Act Updated: May-18-15 6:23 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul vowed on Monday to do "everything possible" to block renewal of the terrorism-era Patriot Act, but the Republican presidential hopeful conceded it may not be enough.
- Behind bars, on the ballot; ex-mayor wins Venezuela primary Updated: May-18-15 11:26 am
CARACAS, Venezuela - Daniel Ceballos may be in jail, but he's also on the ballot for Venezuela's legislative elections.
- GOP candidates for governor search for votes in last weekend Updated: May-16-15 9:52 pm
FALLS OF ROUGH, Kentucky - Three days before Kentucky's Republican primary for governor, three candidates have a chance to win.
- Florida presidential primary to be winner-take-all Updated: May-16-15 2:04 pm
- A 2nd citizen-foil of Christie's makes a run for office Updated: May-16-15 9:33 am
One New Jersey legislative candidate has Gov. Chris Christie to thank for helping him raise his profile and helping launch his campaign- by berating him.
- Part of GOP primary elections lawsuit dismissed Updated: May-15-15 6:07 pm
HELENA, Montana - A federal appeals court this week dismissed part of a lawsuit that seeks to allow only Republican voters to participate in Montana's GOP primaries.
- Georgia Republicans gather, hear from presidential hopefuls Updated: May-15-15 7:22 am
ATHENS, Georgia - Georgia Republicans will hear from three White House hopefuls as the party gathers for its annual convention.