- W.Va. gov: GOP lawmakers not addressing budget "frustrating" Updated: Feb-11-16 12:11 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - About halfway through the 60-day legislative session, Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin says it's frustrating that lawmakers haven't considered options to plug a massive budget hole.
- Rubio eyes brokered convention after NH setback Updated: Feb-11-16 12:03 pm
OKATIE, South Carolina - The best hope of the Republican establishment just a week ago, Marco Rubio suddenly faces a path to his party's presidential nomination that could require a brokered national convention.
- Sanders, 2 Clintons visiting Colorado ahead of Super Tuesday Updated: Feb-11-16 11:14 am
DENVER - Democratic candidates Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton and Clinton's daughter are due in Colorado with less than a month to go before the state and a dozen others weigh in on the primaries on Super Tuesday.
- Obama in California to raise money for fellow Democrats Updated: Feb-11-16 4:56 am
MILPITAS, California - President Barack Obama is opening a weeklong visit to California where his first stops include raising money for fellow Democrats.
- Next up for Democrats: Nevada, an entirely different state Updated: Feb-11-16 3:53 am
LAS VEGAS - Forget the snowy, small towns of Iowa and New Hampshire. The Democratic presidential contest now shifts to Nevada.
- The Latest: Bush says he won't blame Obama for problems Updated: Feb-10-16 8:39 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Here's the latest on the 2016 presidential race as Republican and Democratic candidates head from New Hampshire to South Carolina and beyond. All times local:
- GOP lamaker puts New Mexico bail bond proposal on hold Updated: Feb-10-16 8:28 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A Republican state lawmaker on Wednesday asked the House to suspend action on a proposed constitutional amendment he drafted to allow judges to deny bail to defendants deemed a flight-risk or danger to the public.
- What Christie faces as he returns to New Jersey from trail Updated: Feb-10-16 6:28 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Welcome back, Gov. Chris Christie.
- The Latest: Kansas House budget plan still hits university Updated: Feb-10-16 5:38 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Latest on the Kansas House's debate on budget legislation (all times local):
- Latest: Flint mayor asks Obama to visit her city Updated: Feb-10-16 5:37 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The latest on developments in the lead contamination of Flint's water (all times local):
- Jumbled GOP field hopes for survival in South Carolina Updated: Feb-10-16 5:32 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Hoping for survival in the South, a muddled field of Republican presidential contenders descended Wednesday on South Carolina, no closer to clarity about who can stand between Donald Trump and their party's nomination.
- GOP state lawmaker enters 4th Congressional District race Updated: Feb-10-16 3:19 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A Republican state representative from Bossier City is running for Louisiana's congressional seat representing northwest Louisiana.
- Ryan, Republicans grapple with alternative to Obama budget Updated: Feb-10-16 2:27 pm
WASHINGTON - Meet the new boss. Confronting the same tea party challenges as the old boss.
- Donald Trump brings campaign back to South Carolina Updated: Feb-10-16 3:42 am
CLEMSON, South Carolina - Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump is returning to South Carolina to campaign in advance of next week's GOP presidential primary.
- Exit of California Senate candidate could help ailing GOP Updated: Feb-09-16 8:05 pm
LOS ANGELES - The sudden withdrawal of one of the Republican candidates in California's U.S. Senate race could help a party that's been battered in recent statewide elections, although Democrats remain favorites to hold the seat now occupied by Sen. Barbara Boxer.
- Some Republicans announce support for medical marijuana bill Updated: Feb-09-16 6:02 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Some Republican House lawmakers announced their support Tuesday for new legislation that would create a system for manufacturing, distributing and possessing some forms of medical marijuana in Iowa, though it's unclear what type of backing the bill will get from party leaders.
- Nevada Democrats plan Hillary, Bernie town hall in Las Vegas Updated: Feb-09-16 5:46 pm
LAS VEGAS - Nevada state Democrats say presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders will take part in a town hall event in Las Vegas on Feb. 18, two days before the state party caucus.
- Senator says she changed mind, will OK governor's court pick Updated: Feb-09-16 5:22 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - A Democratic senator who broke from her party to support Republicans' pick for the Virginia Supreme Court says she has changed her mind.
- NY Senate Republicans seek greater agricultural research Updated: Feb-09-16 4:30 pm
ALBANY, New York - Republican lawmakers in the New York state Senate say they want to increase spending on agricultural research and do more to support farms.
- Assembly OKs bill making spitting on prosecutors felony Updated: Feb-09-16 4:13 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Spitting at prosecutors would carry a felony charge under a bill the Wisconsin Assembly has approved.
- The Latest: Top Indiana lawmakers backing Holcomb selection Updated: Feb-09-16 3:49 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Latest on Indiana Gov. Mike Pence's pick to become the state's new lieutenant governor (all times local):
- Alaska House to focus on budget-related bills Updated: Feb-08-16 10:14 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - The Alaska House passed a resolution Monday aimed at focusing committee work on the state's budget deficit, while minority Democrats pushed for a more inclusive process to find budget solutions.
- Inslee blasts Senate Republicans for Cabinet ouster Updated: Feb-08-16 8:10 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Gov. Jay Inslee on Monday blasted Senate Republicans for ousting the head of the Department of Transportation, calling the surprise vote on the Senate floor "an election-year stunt."
- Wealthy homebuilder likely to enter Florida GOP Senate race Updated: Feb-08-16 7:59 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A wealthy Manatee County homebuilder is likely to jump into Florida's U.S. Senate race in a move that would pit key members of Gov. Rick Scott's political team against Lt. Gov. Carlos Lopez-Cantera in the Republican primary.
- House agrees to double donor limit ahead of pivotal election Updated: Feb-08-16 7:36 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - House Democrats and Republicans agreed to double how much money people can donate to political candidates, potentially raising the stakes for the November elections that could determine who controls state government.