- Carson after tour: Syrian refugees don't want to come to US Updated: Nov-29-15 2:08 am
AZRAQ REFUGEE CAMP, Jordan - After touring Syrian refugee camps in Jordan, Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson on Saturday suggested that camps should serve as a long-term solution for millions, while other refugees could be absorbed by Middle Eastern countries.
- Hostility remains between Republicans, teachers' group Updated: Nov-28-15 10:57 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina Association of Educators was among the state's most influential policy and political advocacy groups when Democrats pulled the levers of power in state government.
- Carson visiting Syrian refugees in Jordan Updated: Nov-28-15 12:18 am
WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson is in the Middle East this weekend to meet with Syrian refugees.
- Presidential contenders differ sharply on climate, Updated: Nov-27-15 2:50 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders calls climate change the greatest threat to national security. Front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton promises to install more than 500 million solar panels across the country.
- Some key GOP activists in Ohio still wrestling with pick Updated: Nov-27-15 12:38 pm
CINCINNATI - The shopping days before the presidential nominating season begins are dwindling, leaving Republican activists in a GOP stronghold region of Ohio still checking the field's long list to choose the right candidate for them.
- New Mexico Dem leader unsure on GOP driver's license fix Updated: Nov-26-15 1:44 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The ranking New Mexico House Democrat says he's not ready to support a GOP-sponsored proposal creating a "two-tier" driver's license system modeled after Utah.
- GOP candidate for governor softens refugee stance Updated: Nov-26-15 10:18 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - One of the Vermont Republicans seeking his party's nomination to run for governor next year says he's become more comfortable with the vetting of Syrian refugees after learning more about how refugees are screened before they are brought to the United States.
- Ohio hospitals already preparing for GOP National Convention Updated: Nov-26-15 9:47 am
CLEVELAND - Hospitals around Cleveland are beginning to prepare for next year's Republican National Convention and an influx of up to 50,000 visitors.
- Poland's ruling party blasted in conflict over top judges Updated: Nov-26-15 6:17 am
WARSAW, Poland - The political conflict surrounding Poland's top court has intensified after the new ruling party had the parliament void a recent appointment of judges.
- Mexican Green Party leader resigns post amid investigation Updated: Nov-26-15 12:49 am
MEXICO CITY - Mexican prosecutors said Wednesday that they have opened a criminal investigation of a leader of Mexico's Green Party for allegedly violating electoral laws in June's midterm elections.
- Clarification: Congress-Health Repeal story Updated: Nov-25-15 3:58 pm
WASHINGTON - In a story Nov. 24, The Associated Press listed Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., as one of several Republican senators who might find it difficult to vote for a bill eliminating federal money for Planned Parenthood.
- Rubio: Obama administration continues to make US less safe Updated: Nov-25-15 3:12 pm
MOUNT PLEASANT, South Carolina - Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio said in South Carolina on Wednesday that the Obama administration is making the United States less safe instead of more secure.
- Judge: GOP, Constitution Party exempt from open primary rule Updated: Nov-25-15 1:21 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A federal judge has ruled two Utah political parties that challenged a new state election law are exempt from a requirement that they allow unaffiliated voters in their primary elections.
- GOP Utah governor candidate to debate Democratic lawmaker Updated: Nov-25-15 10:47 am
SALT LAKE CITY - A Republican candidate for governor says he's debating a Democratic lawmaker because Gov. Gary Herbert won't debate him this year ahead of the 2016 election.
- Rubio finesses abortion stance criticized by Democrats Updated: Nov-25-15 3:17 am
WASHINGTON - When Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio staked out a hard-line position on abortion in the first GOP debate, Hillary Rodham Clinton took notice.
- Budget work to continue after whirlwind of finger-pointing Updated: Nov-24-15 7:29 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A two-day whirlwind of accusations, counter-accusations and a threat to override Gov. Tom Wolf's veto of a short-term spending bill yielded no firm assurances Tuesday night that Pennsylvania's five-month budget stalemate would end soon.
- House Democrats push campaign finance reform, ethics board Updated: Nov-24-15 7:12 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - House Democratic leaders on Tuesday rolled out their proposals for reforming New Mexico's scandal-plagued campaign finance reporting system and creating a statewide ethics commission - measures they say would help restore voters' faith in government.
- The Latest: Budget work to continue after two-day whirlwind Updated: Nov-24-15 6:06 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The latest from Gov. Tom Wolf and top lawmakers on efforts to negotiate a deal to end Pennsylvania state government's five-month budget standoff (all times local):
- GOP chair: Party firing volunteer for tweet seen as racist Updated: Nov-24-15 5:24 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The chairman of Minnesota's Republican party says a local party's volunteer social media manager is being dismissed for referring to a "Negro problem" on Twitter.
- Jeb Bush tailgating before Mississippi rivalry football game Updated: Nov-24-15 5:07 pm
STARKVILLE, Mississippi - Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush plans to socialize with college football fans in Mississippi this weekend.
- Congressional hopeful rejected by GOP in '14 running again Updated: Nov-24-15 2:56 pm
NILES, Illinois - A suburban Chicago woman whom GOP officials unsuccessfully tried to toss from their 2014 primary ballot after she linked same-sex marriage and abortions to autism, dementia and tornadoes is running for Congress again.
- GOP's Carly Fiorina coming to Reno after Las Vegas debate Updated: Nov-24-15 2:30 pm
RENO, Nevada - Presidential candidate Carly Fiorina is headed to Reno after the Republican debate in Las Vegas next month.
- Republican contender Jeb Bush names Louisiana campaign team Updated: Nov-24-15 1:31 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush has named his Louisiana steering committee and finance chairs, ahead of the state's March 5 primary.
- 55 GOP state lawmakers urge Bullock to block Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-24-15 1:29 pm
HELENA, Montana - Just over one-third of Montana's legislators are asking Democratic Gov. Steve Bullock to use all legal means to block or resist the placement of Syrian refugees in Montana.
- Republicans propose term limits for Wisconsin lawmakers Updated: Nov-24-15 1:17 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin state lawmakers and the governor would be term limited under a long-shot proposal being circulated by three Republicans in the Legislature.