- Wisconsin Democrats target health insurance rates with bill Updated: Sep-04-15 10:35 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Democrats in the Wisconsin Legislature are pushing a bill designed to prevent large increases in health insurance rates, but it's doubtful Republicans who hold a majority and control the legislative agenda will get behind it.
- Trump says he would improve Iran deal, not repudiate it Updated: Sep-04-15 8:29 am
WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump says it would make no sense to "repudiate" the nuclear arms deal with Iran.
- Sri Lankan leader adds rival parties to consensus Cabinet Updated: Sep-04-15 5:44 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lankan leader Maithripala Sirisena presided Friday at the swearing in of 48 ministers in a new Cabinet for a consensus government including members of the two main rival political parties.
- Assembly Democrats elect next speaker from Los Angeles area Updated: Sep-03-15 8:56 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Democrats in the California Assembly have unanimously elected their next leader after the current speaker tried to stave off a vote until next year.
- GOP activist Sharron Angle seeks voter ID ballot measure Updated: Sep-03-15 7:27 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Conservative activist Sharron Angle wants Nevada voters to decide whether to abolish the state health insurance exchange and require photo identification at the polls.
- GOP-ers say politics could interfere with probe of EPA spill Updated: Sep-03-15 6:37 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - Some members of Congress say they're concerned that politics will influence the U.S. Interior Department's investigation of a toxic mine spill caused by another federal agency.
- House Dems ask pope to address poor, environment in US visit Updated: Sep-03-15 5:45 pm
WASHINGTON - House Democrats are pushing Pope Francis to address the minimum wage, hunger and the environment in his historic speech to Congress later this month, hoping his embrace will give momentum to three party priorities.
- Democrats unveil gun background check petition Updated: Sep-03-15 4:58 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Eight days after two journalists were fatally shot during a live broadcast at a Virginia resort, several Democratic legislators produced a petition with nearly 28,000 signatures supporting expanded background checks for gun buyers.
- First television ad backing Walker touts fight with unions Updated: Sep-03-15 11:13 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - The first television ad backing Republican Gov. Scott Walker's presidential campaign to begin airing in Iowa next week highlights his 2011 battle with public sector unions.
- Maine Democrats closing entries for Jefferson-Jackson rename Updated: Sep-03-15 4:05 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine Democrats are about to close the window on suggestions for a new name for the party's annual Jefferson-Jackson Dinner.
- W.Va. Democrats' Jefferson-Jackson Dinner set for Oct. 2 Updated: Sep-03-15 3:07 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The West Virginia Democratic Party's biggest annual event will be held next month.
- Rauner wins labor fight; Illinois House fails override Updated: Sep-02-15 9:58 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner won a victory over a Democratic majority Wednesday when the Illinois House failed to override his veto of legislation designed to prevent a strike or lockout if union contract negotiations break down.
- Mississippi congressman Harper endorses Kasich for president Updated: Sep-02-15 7:14 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A Republican congressman from Mississippi is endorsing Ohio Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) for president.
- Sweeney, Dems push Christie to sign changes to voting law Updated: Sep-02-15 7:07 pm
JERSEY CITY, New Jersey - Key New Jersey lawmakers say Gov. Chris Christie should sign legislation to modernize laws governing the state's elections.
- The Latest: Child care restoration fails in Illinois House Updated: Sep-02-15 6:17 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The latest on action at the state Capitol, where the Illinois House is expected to consider overriding Gov. Bruce Rauner's veto of union-related legislation and other measures (all times local):
- Stephen Colbert one-ups Jeb Bush raffle with 1 of his own Updated: Sep-02-15 6:09 pm
NEW YORK - Score one for Stephen Colbert.
- Rubio touts end to oil-export ban, bemoans EPA in Oklahoma Updated: Sep-02-15 6:04 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The United States should end its ban on crude-oil exports and reduce federal regulations that are stifling an energy industry central to the nation's future economic prosperity, U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio said Wednesday to a friendly group of mostly oil and natural gas producers.
- N. Carolina weighing single March 2016 primary for all races Updated: Sep-02-15 4:07 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina legislators are considering whether to move all primary elections next year to March, not just the presidential primaries, key House and Senate leaders said Wednesday.
- A look at where Senate Democrats stand on the Iran deal Updated: Sep-02-15 1:05 pm
Congress will vote this month on a resolution to disapprove of the White House-backed nuclear deal struck with Iran by the U.S., Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany. The deal aims to limit Iran's nuclear program in exchange for hundreds of billions of dollars in relief from international sanctions.
- Duchow wins primary for vacant Wisconsin Assembly seat Updated: Sep-02-15 12:07 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - A Town of Delafield supervisor has defeated three other Republican challengers in the race for a vacancy in the Wisconsin state Assembly.
- GOP's Rand Paul brings campaign to Maine Updated: Sep-01-15 8:13 pm
FREEPORT, Maine - Hoping for a boost in a state where his father found strong support, Republican presidential candidate Rand Paul took a break from campaigning in New Hampshire to bring his message of smaller government, lower taxes and less intrusion in people's lives to a receptive audience of several hundred boisterous supporters on Tuesday.
- California Assembly Republicans pick leader, delay switch Updated: Sep-01-15 7:13 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Republicans in the California state Assembly have chosen a new leader, but will delay the transition until next year.
- Marco Rubio visits Sandoval, but didn't discuss endorsement Updated: Sep-01-15 6:15 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Republican presidential hopeful Marco Rubio says he met with Gov. Brian Sandoval during his northern Nevada campaign tour, but the two didn't discuss an endorsement.
- Board sends lobbyist contribution question to Legislature Updated: Sep-01-15 5:50 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin election officials asked the Legislature on Tuesday to address whether lobbyists can make contributions to Republican Gov. Scott Walker's presidential candidate and when donations could start.
- SC's Graham filing papers for home state Republican primary Updated: Sep-01-15 6:13 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina's Lindsey Graham is making his presidential campaign official in his home state.