- Democrats try to oust NY Senate's GOP leader after arrest Updated: May-06-15 10:10 am
ALBANY, New York - Democrats in the New York state Senate are seeking to oust the chamber's Republican leader after his arrest on federal corruption charges.
- Investigation: Bothell mayor did not violate ethics rules Updated: May-06-15 10:07 am
BOTHELL, Washington - An independent investigation has found that Bothell Mayor Joshua Freed did not violate ethics rules when he bid to purchase the Wayne Golf Course back nine for his private company.
- Prominent Iranian human rights activist is detained Updated: May-06-15 10:04 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - One of Iran's most prominent human rights activists, Narges Mohammadi, has been arrested by state security forces and detained in Tehran's Evin Prison, her husband said Wednesday.
- Proposed legislation would expand concealed weapons in Ohio Updated: May-06-15 3:34 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A series of proposed gun laws would expand concealed weapons in Ohio by potentially allowing them in places like churches or daycares and letting certain gun owners carry concealed weapons without a permit.
- Number of North Dakota lobbyists down despite record budget Updated: May-06-15 2:04 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - The number of lobbyists registered for North Dakota's 64th legislative session was down significantly compared to the last three sessions.
- Senate adopts GOP budget targeting 'Obamacare' Updated: May-05-15 8:43 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate on Tuesday adopted a GOP budget that paves the way for an assault on President Barack Obama's health care law this summer and a partisan showdown over spending bills this fall.
- Gun in officer's slaying 9th from Georgia heist found in NY Updated: May-05-15 7:15 pm
NEW YORK - A handgun used to fatally shoot a New York Police Department officer a few days ago was among 23 stolen from a Georgia pawn shop and is the ninth to be recovered on the city's streets.
- Utah law allows gun owners to use deadly force in many cases Updated: May-05-15 6:50 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Police say two Utah men fatally shot would-be criminals a few miles apart over the weekend, but neither shooter is expected to face charges in a gun-friendly state that was one of the first to pass a "Stand Your Ground"-style law more than 20 years ago.
- NC pistol permit repeal proposal worries gun-control group Updated: May-05-15 6:04 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A group of mothers and other advocates says a General Assembly proposal seeking to ease gun regulations in North Carolina raises risks for more gun violence because criminal background checks would be required for fewer handgun sales.
- Man who shipped guns to ex-NFL star Hernandez gets 2 years Updated: May-05-15 6:04 pm
BOSTON - A man who shipped guns to former New England Patriots player and convicted killer Aaron Hernandez was sentenced Tuesday to two years in federal prison.
- SC House member expects to pay off ethics fines by fall Updated: May-05-15 5:03 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina Rep. Harold Mitchell said Tuesday he expects to pay off more than $16,000 in ethics fines by September.
- Bill would lift restriction on enacting assault weapons bans Updated: May-05-15 4:39 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A lawmaker wants to undo a portion of Illinois' concealed carry law that prevents cities from banning assault weapons.
- Family feud rocks top of France's far-right National Front Updated: May-05-15 2:34 pm
PARIS - Little by little, the president of France's far-right National Front and top lieutenants have tried to silence the party founder, pushing him from the inner circle, refusing to back him in elections and now, in the culmination of an ugly political dispute that began as a family feud, suspending his membership.
- Austria files criminal complaint over alleged NSA snooping Updated: May-05-15 2:10 pm
VIENNA - Austria is asking for a legal investigation of allegations that the German intelligence service helped the U.S. National Security Agency eavesdrop on the country's political leaders.
- Feds ask for classified info hearing in Ohio terrorism case Updated: May-05-15 1:22 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Federal prosecutors say a court hearing is needed to discuss dealing with classified information in the case of an Ohio man accused of plotting a U.S. terror attack.
- Lawmakers approve controversial surveillance bill in France Updated: May-05-15 12:01 pm
PARIS - France's lower house of Parliament has approved a bill aimed at legalizing broad surveillance of terrorism suspects that has drawn an outcry from advocates of civil liberties.
- Reforming Baltimore police will be time-consuming, costly Updated: May-05-15 10:11 am
BALTIMORE - Months before Freddie Gray died of the broken neck he suffered during what Baltimore's top prosecutor called an illegal arrest, the city's mayor and police commissioner said the department needed reform and asked the Justice Department for help reviewing officer misconduct.
- Oregon bill passes expanding background checks for gun sales Updated: May-05-15 12:29 am
SALEM, Oregon - An Oregon bill expanding background checks to encompass nearly all gun sales in the state made it through the Legislature on Monday, overcoming obstacles that stymied two previous attempts to pass similar laws.
- Democrats reject Colorado GOP fetal homicide bill Updated: May-04-15 8:20 pm
DENVER - Democrats concerned about interference on abortion rights on Monday rejected a Republican measure to create a new crime of fetal homicide, legislation that was crafted in response to an attack last month on a pregnant woman in Longmont.
- Ex-Rhode Island lawmaker convicted of drunken driving Updated: May-04-15 7:31 pm
WARWICK, Rhode Island - A judge has found a former Rhode Island state senator guilty of driving under the influence of alcohol.
- Union, business groups back collective-bargaining changes Updated: May-04-15 7:10 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Union lobbyists and business representatives made for strange bedfellows on Monday while testifying on a Republican-sponsored bill overhauling collective bargaining law.
- Legislative panel probing closures on hold for now Updated: May-04-15 7:04 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The New Jersey legislative committee looking into the George Washington Bridge scandal will continue its holding pattern - for now.
- Brazil weighs investigating ex-leader Silva Updated: May-04-15 6:37 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Federal prosecutors in Brazil confirmed Monday that they are weighing whether to open a full investigation into former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva's alleged overseas lobbying efforts for the scandal-plagued construction firm Odebrecht, the nation's biggest builder.
- Ex-Christie allies plead not guilty in bridge case Updated: May-04-15 4:45 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Two former political allies of Gov. Chris Christie pleaded not guilty Monday to charges they were involved in politically motivated lane closures of the George Washington Bridge, and the attorney for one vowed to subpoena her former colleagues to prove her innocence.
- Pence signs bill tightening Indiana's state ethics laws Updated: May-04-15 4:23 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Gov. Mike Pence has endorsed an overhaul of state ethics laws that requires greater financial disclosure by lawmakers and expressly prohibits elected officials from using state resources for political purposes.