- US seeks to nix charges against Iranian man in prisoner swap Updated: Feb-01-16 1:54 pm
NEW YORK - The U.S. government is urging a federal judge in New York to drop charges against an Iranian man to satisfy the terms of a prisoner swap between the countries.
- High stakes in race to replace convicted Long Island senator Updated: Feb-01-16 1:39 pm
ALBANY, New York - With control of the New York Senate possibly up for grabs, Democrats and Republicans are promising to aggressively campaign for seat representing Long Island that was vacated when ex-Senate Leader Dean Skelos was convicted of federal corruption charges.
- Indicted Texas attorney general denied OK to use donors Updated: Feb-01-16 1:36 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - A state ethics board has declined to support Texas' attorney general using political donors to pay his mounting legal bills on criminal charges of defrauding investors.
- Moscow tests corruption among city employees with polygraphs Updated: Feb-01-16 1:21 pm
MOSCOW - Some 94 percent of Moscow city employees ordered to undergo lie-detector tests as part of the fight against corruption passed them, the city government said Monday as it announced that the tests would be used again this year. It did not disclose what happened to the other 6 percent of employees.
- Poll: NY voters want full-time legislators, no outside pay Updated: Feb-01-16 10:46 am
ALBANY, New York - Most New York voters say it's time for the state's 213 legislators to be considered full-time, with their current $79,500 base salary unchanged and outside earnings prohibited, according to new poll released Monday.
- Recent editorials published in Iowa newspapers Updated: Feb-01-16 9:05 am
The Des Moines Register. Jan. 28, 2016
- Grand Rapids Public Museum hosting new Rosa Parks exhibit Updated: Feb-01-16 8:26 am
GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan - The Grand Rapids Public Museum is hosting a new mini-exhibit about civil rights icon Rosa Parks.
- Sexwale to meet South African federation over FIFA campaign Updated: Feb-01-16 8:16 am
FIFA presidential candidate Tokyo Sexwale will meet with senior South African Football Association officials on Tuesday for an "update" amid reports that the millionaire businessman's home federation is frustrated over his lackluster campaign.
- Report: US and UK spied on Israeli drones for years Updated: Jan-29-16 5:31 am
JERUSALEM - U.S and British intelligence cracked the codes of Israeli drones operating in the Middle East and monitored their surveillance feeds for almost 20 years, according to documents leaked by an American whistleblower and published in international media on Friday.
- Buddy Cianci, dominant in Rhode Island politics, dies at 74 Updated: Jan-29-16 12:47 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Former Mayor Buddy Cianci, the wisecracking political rogue who presided over the revitalization of Providence during two stints in office cut short by criminal charges and a prison sentence for corruption, died Thursday. He was 74.
- The Latest: Trump campaign says rally raised $6 million Updated: Jan-28-16 11:47 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Latest on developments from the 2016 Republican race for president, less than a week out from the Iowa caucuses (all times local):
- Kentucky House votes to amend informed consent law Updated: Jan-28-16 7:46 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The Kentucky House has voted to amend the state's informed consent law to allow real-time video consultations between doctors and women at least 24 hours before an abortion.
- Governor hopes Californians' tough views on crime have eased Updated: Jan-28-16 7:46 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown is betting that the pendulum has swung from the days when Californians fed up with high crime rates approved the nation's harshest three strikes law and other get-tough measures.
- The Latest: Navy commander pleads guilty in bribery case Updated: Jan-28-16 7:35 pm
SAN DIEGO - 4 p.m.
- Haslam, lawmakers see need to clear pending records requests Updated: Jan-28-16 5:20 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Gov. Bill Haslam and two top Tennessee lawmakers say they recognize the need to clear a backlog of hundreds of open records requests.
- Senate committee approves North Korea sanctions bill Updated: Jan-28-16 4:33 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate Foreign Relations Committee has approved legislation to tighten sanctions against North Korea following its latest nuclear test explosion.
- Bipartisan probe faults gov't with migrant child abuse Updated: Jan-28-16 4:32 pm
WASHINGTON - Migrant children in the government's care fell prey to human trafficking after the Health and Human Services Department failed to protect them, according to a bipartisan congressional investigation released Thursday.
- Former Brazil president reacts to investigation of apartment Updated: Jan-28-16 2:10 pm
SAO PAULO - Former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva is angry over a prosecutor saying a luxury apartment that he once thought of buying could be part of a scheme to launder money from the corruption scandal buffeting state-owned oil company Petrobras.
- Spain activists, whistleblower creating digital pay system Updated: Jan-28-16 12:28 pm
BARCELONA, Spain - A prominent French whistleblower and Spanish anti-corruption activists who trigged an investigation of a former International Monetary Fund chief announced Thursday they are designing a digital payment system aimed at excluding middlemen companies that make money from online purchases.
- Florida Democrats have clear choice in race to replace Rubio Updated: Jan-28-16 11:28 am
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida Democrats must decide whether their best shot at winning the Senate seat now held by Marco Rubio is a liberal firebrand who has said the GOP health plan was to hope people die quickly, or a moderate Democrat who often votes with Republicans.
- Massage parlor tycoon-turned-crusading politician sentenced Updated: Jan-28-16 8:33 am
BANGKOK - A massage parlor tycoon-turned-politician and outspoken critic of corruption was sentenced Thursday to two years in prison for employing gangster tactics in 2003 to clear a prime piece of real estate he owned in Thailand's capital.
- Man files appeal on conviction he sent poison-laced letters Updated: Jan-28-16 8:13 am
ABERDEEN, Mississippi - A Mississippi man seeks to overturn his 2014 conviction that he sent poison-laced letters to President Barack Obama and others.
- Japan economy minister quits over graft allegations Updated: Jan-28-16 6:09 am
TOKYO - Japan's economy minister resigned Thursday as he fended off corruption allegations, in a setback for Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's effort to rev up growth in the world's third-largest economy.
- Voters conflicted on relevance of Clinton marriage drama Updated: Jan-28-16 3:36 am
WASHINGTON - It's fair game. It's ancient history.
- Egypt's top auditor faces backlash over corruption findings Updated: Jan-28-16 2:14 am
CAIRO - Egypt's top auditor ignited an uproar when he estimated that corruption had cost the country billions of dollars. Yet the anger was not directed against the government or even long-established oligarchs, but at the auditor himself.