- FIFA now subject to federal probes in US, Switzerland Updated: May-27-15 8:24 am
ZURICH - FIFA's reputation for corruption has reignited spectacularly two days before a presidential election expected to give Sepp Blatter four more years at the head of world soccer.
- Huntington council restricts locations of gun businesses Updated: May-27-15 8:14 am
HUNTINGTON, West Virginia - Huntington City Council has placed restrictions on where businesses that sell, manufacturer or repair guns can open in the city.
- Soccer officials arrested in Zurich; World Cup votes probed Updated: May-27-15 8:05 am
ZURICH - Swiss prosecutors opened criminal proceedings into FIFA's awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, only hours after seven soccer officials were arrested Wednesday pending extradition to the U.S. in a separate probe of "rampant, systemic, and deep-rooted" corruption.
- Tangipahoa council to send term-limit proposal to the voters Updated: May-27-15 7:29 am
AMITE, Louisiana - The Tangipahoa Parish Council has agreed to give voters the opportunity to decide in the Oct. 24 election whether to limit the parish president and council members to three consecutive four-year terms.
- Romanian mayor arrested for bribes, quits ruling party Updated: May-27-15 6:55 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - A former Romanian mayor who once dressed in a Nazi uniform at a fashion show has quit the ruling party weeks after he was arrested and charged with taking bribes.
- Bill to allow concealed handguns at colleges gets big boost Updated: May-27-15 2:20 am
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas took a giant step closer to allowing concealed handguns in college classrooms late Tuesday, with House lawmakers giving their preliminary approval to a so-called "campus carry" measure, barely beating a midnight deadline.
- Texas House OKs stricter ethics rules, dark money disclosure Updated: May-26-15 10:05 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas House has passed a sweeping package of stricter ethics rules for state lawmakers and other elected officials - including mandating more financial disclosure for "dark money" groups.
- Danielson not seeking re-election on Arkansas Supreme Court Updated: May-26-15 8:56 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A member of the Arkansas Supreme Court who accused other justices of unnecessarily delaying a decision on whether to legalize gay marriage said Tuesday he won't seek re-election, while a former Republican legislator announced he was running for the seat.
- Hidden camera limits spark heated Texas House debate Updated: May-26-15 8:50 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Debate over an ethics bill has gotten especially heated in the Texas House, as veteran Republicans and Democrats complained about conservative activists using hidden cameras to embarrass and bully lawmakers.
- Gunmen try to kill Libya's recognized prime minister Updated: May-26-15 7:27 pm
BENGHAZI, Libya - Gunmen tried to assassinate Libya's internationally recognized prime minister on his way to the airport in the eastern city of Tobruk on Tuesday, a spokesman for his government said.
- Excerpts from editorials by Illinois newspapers Updated: May-26-15 6:50 pm
May 26, 2015
- State House approves changes to Michigan's open meetings law Updated: May-26-15 5:23 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Local elected officials would have to be physically present for a vote at an open meeting under a bill moving through the Michigan Legislature.
- Florida Senate offers health care coverage compromise Updated: May-26-15 5:04 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Republican leaders in the Florida Senate offered up a revamped health care proposal Tuesday in an effort to end a budget stalemate that threatens to shut down state government, but the proposal was immediately rejected by Gov. Rick Scott and House GOP leaders.
- Obama urges Senate to renew phone-records program Updated: May-26-15 4:44 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama called on the Senate Tuesday to extend key Patriot Act provisions before they expire five days from now, including the government's ability to search Americans' phone records.
- Pot activist NJ Weedman cooking up a restaurant, temple Updated: May-26-15 4:05 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A marijuana activist and sometimes political candidate is set to open his own restaurant in New Jersey's capital city.
- Mary Landrieu, aide joining Washington lobbying firm Updated: May-26-15 1:23 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Former U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu is joining a Washington lobbying firm.
- John Murphy, NY congressman convicted in Abscam, dies at 88 Updated: May-26-15 10:28 am
NEW YORK - Former Congressman John Murphy, who represented Staten Island for 18 years before being caught in the Abscam corruption scandal in the late 1970s, has died. He was 88.
- 2 gun rights bills expected to get final votes in Texas Updated: May-25-15 6:48 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Two bills to expand gun rights that had been expected to fly through the Republican-controlled Texas Legislature have instead hit several snags and will need a big push during this final week of the session if they are to become law.
- Standoff between Rauner, Democrats hangs over Legislature Updated: May-25-15 5:41 pm
CHICAGO - A standoff between Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner and Democrats who control the Illinois Legislature is threatening to derail action on a long list of issues as lawmakers enter the final days of their spring session.
- Nevada case is latest to test 'stand your ground' laws Updated: May-25-15 2:35 pm
RENO, Nevada - The idea that a person's home is their castle and they have the right to kill trespassers has been widely accepted in the U.S. for more than a century.
- Independent candidate rides hatred of politics in Mexico Updated: May-25-15 2:32 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexicans' disgust with corrupt, aloof, high-living politicians has a name, and it's El Bronco. The horseback-riding, boot-clad, tough-talking Jaime Rodriguez lives up to his nickname.
- Spain leader blames austerity, scandals for election result Updated: May-25-15 2:08 pm
MADRID - Spain's prime minister acknowledged Monday he was disappointed with his party's showing in local elections, which he attributed largely to austerity measures his government was compelled to take during Europe's recent debt crisis and a recent string of political scandals.
- Ethics panel fading to obscurity 10 years after Tenn. Waltz Updated: May-25-15 12:07 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - In the typical fray of the legislative session, few paid close attention to a seemingly innocuous bill about recycling computer equipment. That was until federal agents started arresting lawmakers.
- Fight over neighborhood gun pit calms in Rockingham County Updated: May-25-15 11:04 am
STONEVILLE, North Carolina - The fight over whether a homeowner should be allowed to build a pit on his land to fire his guns is quieting down in Rockingham County.
- Anti-eviction campaigner promises change in Barcelona Updated: May-25-15 10:42 am
BARCELONA, Spain - Leading Spanish social activist Ada Colau said Monday the fight against evictions, poverty and corruption will be her priority as new mayor of the country's second city, Barcelona.