- Taking on Bush and Rubio, Clinton calls for Cuba embargo end Updated: Jul-31-15 4:16 pm
MIAMI - Drawing a sharp distinction with Republican rivals in the pivotal election state of Florida, Hillary Rodham Clinton on Friday called on the GOP-run Congress to end the trade embargo the U.S. has imposed on Cuba since 1962
- Survey shows CATS bus service losing support of its riders Updated: Jul-31-15 11:01 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The number of people willing to recommend the Capital Area Transit System to a friend has plummeted for the first time since the agency started measuring satisfaction more than a year ago.
- UK leader pledges to send help to France to control migrants Updated: Jul-31-15 8:22 am
LONDON - Prime Minister David Cameron offered Friday to send sniffer dogs and fencing to help control the surge in migrants trying to cross into Britain, pledging to work closely with French authorities to get a grip on the crisis.
- Beijing bid faces same old questions ahead of 2022 IOC vote Updated: Jul-28-15 10:54 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Two of China's most storied winter Olympic athletes faced tough questions about Beijing's bid for the 2022 Winter Games - namely about air pollution and a lack of snow.
- With Boston out, can Los Angeles revive a US Olympic bid? Updated: Jul-27-15 11:05 pm
Boston's bid to host the 2024 Olympics was undercut by its own mayor, its skeptical public and, finally, leaders of the U.S. Olympic Committee, who were tired of the city's ever-changing blueprint.
- Mayor says Toronto will decide 'very quickly' on Olympic bid Updated: Jul-23-15 6:25 pm
TORONTO - Toronto Mayor John Tory says Canada's largest city will make a decision "very quickly" whether to bid for the 2024 Olympics.
- Poll: Guinta's support plummets amid financing scandal Updated: Jul-23-15 11:05 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Support for U.S. Rep Frank Guinta is eroding according to a new poll that showed that more than 40 percent think he should resign amid his campaign finance troubles and only 5 percent say they would back his re-election bid next year.
- Pew: Chinese stay optimistic in an otherwise gloomy world Updated: Jul-23-15 10:34 am
WASHINGTON - Maybe someone should tell the Chinese their economy is slowing. They don't seem to buy it.
- 5 things: House bill would prevent mandatory GMO labeling Updated: Jul-23-15 9:11 am
WASHINGTON - States could no longer require labels on genetically modified foods under legislation the House is considering.
- Poll: US views of Francis dim; a plunge in approval ratings Updated: Jul-22-15 2:07 pm
NEW YORK - Pope Francis' rock-star popularity appears to be dimming in the United States.
- Approval rating for Brazil's president hits new low Updated: Jul-21-15 5:08 pm
SAO PAULO - The approval rating for President Dilma Rousseff has plunged to new lows amid Brazil's economic troubles and the huge corruption scandal at Petrobras, the state energy company.
- Top adviser says Walker running as a 'uniter' Updated: Jul-21-15 4:58 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Scott Walker's top adviser said Tuesday that the Republican governor who survived an attempt to recall him from office is running for president as someone who can bring together a polarized electorate.
- AP-GfK poll: Americans on board with Cuba diplomacy Updated: Jul-21-15 1:51 pm
WASHINGTON - The restoration of diplomatic ties between the United States and Cuba seems to sit well with Americans.
- Greece's Tsipras stays popular despite bailout hardship Updated: Jul-21-15 12:24 pm
ATHENS, Greece - Under Alexis Tsipras, Greece slid back into recession, sank deeper into debt and found itself pushed to the brink of bankruptcy. Then after rejecting one painful bailout deal, the radical left leader agreed to a new one with possibly just as harsh terms.
- Column: Important not to let Armstrong ruin Tour again Updated: Jul-21-15 12:02 pm
LES BLAYES, France - In his biography, Chris Froome recounts how his two elder brothers used to amuse themselves by locking him in a dog kennel with an angry, scratching turkey. "Only when I was in absolute floods of tears would they open the cage up and let me out," the Tour de France race leader recounts.
- Poll: Majority of Americans favor diplomatic ties with Cuba Updated: Jul-21-15 7:39 am
WASHINGTON - Nearly three-fourths of Americans think the United States should have diplomatic ties with Cuba, but they're not sure how far to go in lifting sanctions, according to an Associated Press-GfK poll released Monday as full diplomatic relations between the two countries were formally restored.
- GOP presidential hopeful Walker signs abortion ban bill Updated: Jul-20-15 11:04 pm
OSHKOSH, Wisconsin - Republican Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, one week after launching his bid for the 2016 presidential nomination, signed a bill Monday that outlaws non-emergency abortions at or beyond 20 weeks of pregnancy.
- Survey: US companies less optimistic about future sales Updated: Jul-20-15 7:34 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. businesses' outlook on sales in the coming months has darkened after sales growth slowed in the second quarter, according to a survey released Monday.
- AP Poll: Sharp divisions after high court backs gay marriage Updated: Jul-18-15 10:56 am
NEW YORK - The Supreme Court's ruling last month legalizing same-sex marriage nationwide has left Americans sharply divided, according to an Associated Press-GfK poll that suggests support for gay unions may be down slightly from earlier this year.
- AP-GfK poll finds returning economic gloom Updated: Jul-17-15 12:52 pm
WASHINGTON - Economic gloom may be on the rise again, with President Barack Obama's approval ratings stagnating, after buoyancy on both fronts earlier this year.
- AP-GfK Poll: Minorities, young Americans still backing Obama Updated: Jul-17-15 9:13 am
WASHINGTON - Even as the public remains closely divided about his presidency, Barack Obama is holding on to his support from the so-called "Obama coalition" of minorities, liberals and young Americans, an Associated Press-GfK poll shows, creating an incentive for the next Democratic presidential nominee to stick with him and his policies.
- Poll: Public backs Gov. Cuomo in clash with NYC mayor Updated: Jul-15-15 8:28 am
ALBANY, New York - A poll says New York state voters are siding with Gov. Andrew Cuomo in his clash with New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio.
- AP-GfK Poll: Ahead of deal, Americans express mixed feelings Updated: Jul-14-15 5:06 pm
WASHINGTON - Most Americans think of Iran as an enemy of the United States, but a narrow majority still supported a diplomatic relationship in a poll conducted on the eve of the nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers.
- Survey: It's not OK for businesses to deny service to LGBTs Updated: Jul-13-15 12:07 am
NEW YORK - A majority of small business owners believe companies shouldn't be allowed to withhold goods or services from lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender people based on an owner's religious beliefs, according to a survey released Monday.
- No vacancy: UNR dorms are already full for fall semester Updated: Jul-10-15 6:16 am
RENO, Nevada - Living on campus at the University of Nevada, Reno may be more competitive.