- UN calls for panel to identify Syria chemical weapons users Updated: Aug-27-15 7:14 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. chief proposed Thursday that a new international body to assign blame for chemical attacks in Syria's deadly conflict for the first time have the freedom to go anywhere and the support of all parties on the ground.
- Another law enforcement officer gun stolen in the Bay Area Updated: Aug-26-15 11:04 pm
HAYWAYRD, California - Authorities say a Hayward police officer's gun was stolen during a car burglary in Oakland, marking at least the third such theft in the Bay Area in recent months.
- Court: Second Amendment also covers those in US illegally Updated: Aug-25-15 2:13 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - People living in the United States illegally have a constitutional right to bear arms but are still barred from doing so by a separate law, a federal appeals court ruled.
- NRA sues over Seattle's adoption of 'gun violence tax' Updated: Aug-24-15 5:46 pm
SEATTLE - Three gun rights groups, including the National Rifle Association, sued the city of Seattle on Monday over its adoption of a so-called "gun violence tax," a tax on firearms and ammunition designed to help offset the financial toll of gun violence.
- Southwestern Indiana police look to sell confiscated weapons Updated: Aug-22-15 1:29 pm
EVANSVILLE, Indiana - Law enforcement agencies in southwestern Indiana are looking for ways to sell hundreds of confiscated guns to pay for firearms training within their departments.
- Federal program gives tribes access to criminal databases Updated: Aug-19-15 5:19 pm
SEATTLE - Federal officials on Wednesday launched a new program that will allow tribes access to national criminal databases and fix a system that allowed a man to buy a gun that was later used by his son to kill four classmates and himself at a Washington high school.
- New NC law lets Guard members have concealed carry on duty Updated: Aug-18-15 7:01 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A bill allowing some North Carolina National Guard members to carry concealed handguns while on duty is now law.
- Missouri Supreme Court: Felon-in-possession law stands Updated: Aug-18-15 6:47 pm
ST. LOUIS - The Missouri Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld a state law banning felons from possessing firearms, ruling that it does not violate a constitutional right to bear arms.
- Senator proposing tighter gun control after church shootings Updated: Aug-17-15 12:16 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - The South Carolina state senator who represents the district that includes Charleston's Emanuel AME Church is proposing tougher state gun controls in the aftermath of the shootings at the church that killed nine people.
- Democrats push for reconsideration of guns in parks bill Updated: Aug-13-15 6:07 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Tennessee's new guns in parks law could make it more difficult - and dangerous - for officers to do their jobs, two law enforcement representatives said Thursday at an event to urge reconsideration of the bill.
- Judge denies permanent order prohibiting no-guns policy Updated: Aug-12-15 2:58 pm
NORMAN, Oklahoma - An Oklahoma judge said he won't make permanent his temporary order that barred organizers of a music festival from enforcing a weapons ban.
- US officials say they can tell if Iran is cheating on deal Updated: Aug-12-15 3:42 am
WASHINGTON - Despite a track record of misjudgments about weapons of mass destruction, U.S. intelligence officials say they are confident they can verify Iran's compliance with the recently completed nuclear deal.
- Sheriffs speak out against proposed change to gun laws Updated: Aug-11-15 6:22 pm
PHENIX CITY, Alabama - A group of Alabama sheriffs said Tuesday that current state gun laws limit their discretion in granting concealed carry permits and proposed legislation could further complicate their ability to confiscate weapons from potentially dangerous people.
- Seattle City Council votes to adopt 'gun violence tax' Updated: Aug-10-15 8:56 pm
SEATTLE - Seattle's City Council unanimously approved a new tax on the sale of firearms and ammunition Monday - a measure designed to help offset the financial toll of gun violence. But opponents quickly promised a legal challenge.
- Judge: Father can openly carry pistol in daughter's school Updated: Aug-10-15 7:59 pm
CLIO, Michigan - A Genesee County judge has ruled a father can openly carry his pistol inside his daughter's elementary school.
- Editorials from around Ohio Updated: Aug-10-15 5:20 pm
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from Ohio newspapers:
- Calls to abolish nukes on Nagasaki bombing 70th anniversary Updated: Aug-09-15 12:19 am
NAGASAKI, Japan - The city of Nagasaki marked the 70th anniversary of the atomic bombing Sunday with calls to abolish nuclear weapons and halt the Japanese government's push to loosen restrictions on what its military can do.
- Los Angeles outlaws large-capacity gun magazines Updated: Aug-07-15 6:01 pm
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles has banned possession of gun magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, closing a loophole in state law.
- Williamson County attorney says guns can be banned from fair Updated: Aug-07-15 1:07 pm
FRANKLIN, Tennessee - The Williamson County attorney says that the fair kicking off Friday can still ban guns despite a recent state attorney general's opinion suggesting otherwise.
- Gun-confiscation fears lead to protest in northern Idaho Updated: Aug-06-15 7:56 pm
BOISE, Idaho - A group of residents in northern Idaho lined up outside a U.S. Navy veteran's house on Thursday to protest claims that federal officials are planning on confiscating the man's weapons.
- Audit reveals flaws in how courts handle mental health, guns Updated: Aug-06-15 3:56 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A performance audit has found that the Tennessee court system didn't fully comply with a 2013 state law designed to keep firearms out of the hands of individuals with mental health issues.
- Court upholds Madison prohibition on guns on buses Updated: Aug-06-15 11:19 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - A state appeals court says people can't carry guns on Madison city buses.
- Father of ex-owner of Hobbs gun shop is sentenced to prison Updated: Aug-05-15 8:19 pm
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico - The father of the former owner of a Hobbs gun shop has been sentenced to 18 months in prison for violating federal firearm laws.
- Leading GOP senator offers bill on guns, mental health Updated: Aug-05-15 6:53 pm
WASHINGTON - A leading Republican senator proposed a National Rifle Association-backed bill Wednesday that he said would make the federal background check system for gun buyers more effective and bolster programs for treating people with mental illness.
- Expansion of gun sale background checks takes effect Sunday Updated: Aug-05-15 6:28 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - The new Oregon law requiring background checks for private gun transactions will take effect Sunday amid plenty of uncertainty.