- Obama announces new steps to curb gun violence Updated: Apr-29-16 11:36 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama announced new steps Friday to help curb gun violence, including by identifying the requirements that "smart guns" would have to meet for law enforcement agencies to buy and use them as well as sharing mental health records with the federal background check system.
- Signatures readied to qualify gun control measure for ballot Updated: Apr-28-16 8:23 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Gun control proponents intend to turn in more than a half-million signatures to qualify an initiative for the November ballot to tighten California's already tough gun laws, Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, a sponsor of the measure, said Thursday.
- Tracking the flow of guns used in crime is inexact science Updated: Apr-28-16 5:35 pm
SMYRNA, Georgia - Adventure Outdoors is an 80,000-square-foot store with walls lined with long guns, cases packed with handguns and aisles jammed with all the accessories an avid outdoorsman would need: coolers, clothing, ammo. At the customer service counter is a government-issued poster that warns: "Don't lie for the other guy."
- Ohio's Strickland lays out security plank in US Senate race Updated: Apr-28-16 11:26 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Ted Strickland is supporting increased "aggressive" air attacks and drone strikes, targeted U.S. special forces operations and improved intelligence coordination as part of an enhanced campaign to defeat the Islamic State group.
- 2 ex-officers get probation for illegal Maryland gun sale Updated: Apr-28-16 11:21 am
HAGERSTOWN, Maryland - Two former law enforcement officers indicted in an illegal firearms sale have been sentenced to probation.
- Lawmakers optimistic restraining order change will pass Updated: Apr-28-16 12:06 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut legislative leaders were optimistic Wednesday that this is the year the General Assembly will pass legislation barring people with temporary restraining orders against them from possessing firearms.
- The Latest: House passes restraining order change Updated: Apr-28-16 12:00 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The Latest on bill barring people with temporary restraining orders from possessing firearms (all times local):
- Australian leader defends gun controls on tragic anniversary Updated: Apr-27-16 9:04 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister said Thursday that a review of national gun laws would not weaken strict regulations that had kept Australians safer since 35 people were shot dead by a mass murderer 20 years ago.
- UN chief urges nuclear test ban treaty ratification Updated: Apr-27-16 11:31 am
VIENNA - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has urged the U.S. and seven other nations to ratify the treaty banning nuclear weapons testing so that the agreement can take effect.
- Deal: No decision yet on allowing guns on Georgia campuses Updated: Apr-27-16 11:17 am
ATLANTA - Georgia's governor says he hasn't made a decision on legislation allowing concealed handguns on the state's college campuses.
- Age gap shows in Clinton win helped by older voters Updated: Apr-27-16 12:28 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Democrat Hillary Clinton got a winning boost Tuesday from older voters who turned out in larger numbers than the younger voting bloc that swamped rival Bernie Sanders with support in Connecticut's presidential primary, exit polls showed.
- Missouri House advances bill to expand concealed carry Updated: Apr-26-16 4:54 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A bill designed to ease limits on the concealed carry of weapons is advancing in the Missouri Legislature after House members voted 112-37 to send the measure to the Senate.
- Illinois bills would limit mentally ill from owning guns Updated: Apr-26-16 3:58 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois' ability to keep guns out of the hands of people who are mentally ill or pose a danger would be strengthened under several proposals in the General Assembly, but the ideas have raised concerns among gun rights advocates.
- Background check bill riles both sides of gun law debate Updated: Apr-26-16 12:21 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Talk about expanding background checks for gun sales has returned to the Minnesota Legislature, but it won't come to a vote.
- Queen Creek man gets life in prison for death of accomplice Updated: Apr-26-16 6:04 am
FLORENCE, Arizona - A Queen Creek man has been sentenced to life in prison for the kidnapping and robbery of a store clerk in 2013 and the death of his accomplice.
- The Latest: Candidates for US Senate meet for first debate Updated: Apr-26-16 12:12 am
STOCKTON, California - The Latest on the U.S. Senate debate (all times local):
- Missouri House advances bill to expand castle doctrine law Updated: Apr-25-16 10:53 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri lawmakers are advancing a measure that would limit fees to carry a concealed firearm and expand the state's castle doctrine law.
- Democrats seek to block Christie's gun regulation change Updated: Apr-25-16 9:01 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey lawmakers have announced an effort to block Gov. Chris Christie's change to state regulations to make it easier to get a gun permit.
- Grand Forks man sentenced to life in prison for dealing meth Updated: Apr-25-16 7:07 pm
GRAND FORKS, North Dakota - A Grand Forks man accused of leading a large drug trafficking operation has been sentenced to life in prison.
- Florida's tax agency drawing fire from gun supporters Updated: Apr-23-16 7:56 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The state agency responsible for enforcing Florida's tax laws is drawing ire from gun supporters as well as from some elected officials.
- Davenport police track down firearms' history to solve cases Updated: Apr-23-16 11:01 am
DAVENPORT, Iowa - Firearms seized by the Davenport Police Department, whether through a search warrant or from a suicidal person for safe keeping, undoubtedly make their way to the desk of Cpl. Brian Morel.
- New Orleans eyes new gun-control measures to stem violence Updated: Apr-22-16 7:51 pm
NEW ORLEANS - The mayor of New Orleans, a city plagued by murders and shootings, hopes to stem the violence with new gun-control measures, including a requirement that stolen and lost guns are promptly reported to police.
- Clinton, relatives of Newtown victims talk gun violence Updated: Apr-21-16 5:58 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Hillary Clinton, sitting with relatives of victims of the Newtown school massacre, vowed Thursday to make sure gun violence is not ignored, saying Connecticut's bipartisan gun control legislation was a model for the nation.
- Senate OKs plan for vote on gun laws despite opposition Updated: Apr-21-16 2:57 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Senate has approved a resolution for a public vote to broaden gun rights despite opposition from the state's business community, including the NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder.
- Ex-premier Sali Berisha calls on Albanians to get armed Updated: Apr-21-16 11:21 am
TIRANA, Albania - Former Albanian prime minister Sali Berisha on Thursday called on citizens to arm themselves, saying the government is failing to confront crime.