- Obama still pondering death penalty's role in justice system Updated: Nov-27-15 3:46 am
WASHINGTON - Even as President Barack Obama tries to make a hard case for overhauling sentences, rehabilitating prisoners and confronting racial bias in policing, he has been less clear about the death penalty.
- Vietnam passes law abolishing death penalty for 7 crimes Updated: Nov-27-15 1:45 am
HANOI, Vietnam - Death sentences imposed on corrupt Vietnamese officials will now be commuted to life in prison if they pay back at least 75 percent of the illegal money they made.
- Bangladesh angry over Pakistan's criticism of executions Updated: Nov-23-15 8:13 am
NEW DELHI - Bangladesh accused Pakistan on Monday of interfering in its internal affairs by criticizing the execution of two opposition leaders for alleged war crimes during the country's 1971 war of independence.
- Family says Pakistan to execute paraplegic man within days Updated: Nov-21-15 8:33 am
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan's only paraplegic death-row inmate will be executed in the coming days at a high-security prison in the industrial city of Faisalabad, his mother and an international rights group said Saturday.
- Bid to end California death penalty may collect signatures Updated: Nov-20-15 6:45 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Death penalty opponents led by former "M-A-S-H" star Mike Farrell can begin collecting signatures for their latest attempt to repeal the ultimate penalty, increasing the chances that California voters will be faced with a choice between competing initiatives next year.
- Georgia executes man convicted in 1994 slaying Updated: Nov-19-15 11:26 pm
JACKSON, Georgia - A man convicted of killing a woman he met at a Georgia nightclub was put to death Thursday after losing a last-minute round of appeals.
- The Latest: Georgia man declines prayer before execution Updated: Nov-19-15 10:46 pm
JACKSON, Georgia - The latest on Thursday's execution of Georgia inmate Marcus Ray Johnson (all times local):
- Texas man executed for setting fire that killed 3 children Updated: Nov-18-15 9:57 pm
HUNTSVILLE, Texas - A Texas inmate was executed Wednesday for setting a fire that killed his 18-month-old daughter and her two young half-sisters at an East Texas home 15 years ago.
- Latest: Texas man executed for fire that killed 3 children Updated: Nov-18-15 9:39 pm
HUNTSVILLE, Texas - The latest on the Wednesday execution of Texas inmate Raphael Holiday (all times local):
- Missouri executions expected to slow Updated: Nov-08-15 12:15 pm
ST. LOUIS - Eighteen convicted killers have been executed in Missouri in the last two years, a pace that is expected to slow significantly with death sentences on the decline and many of the 28 remaining death row inmates still filing appeals.
- Board endorses prisons boss despite problematic executions Updated: Nov-07-15 11:43 am
OKLAHOMA CITY - The head of Oklahoma's prison system, whose tenure has been marred by problems with three scheduled lethal injections and now a grand jury inquiry into those complications, received a vote of confidence this week from the agency's governing board.
- Convicted serial killer's Kansas death sentence upheld Updated: Nov-06-15 8:17 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Supreme Court refused on Friday to remove a serial killer from death row who trolled for victims online, marking the first time the court has upheld a death sentence since Kansas reinstated capital punishment in 1994.
- Lawyers for convicted killers seek end to death sentence Updated: Nov-06-15 6:27 pm
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - Lawyers for two killers convicted for the deaths of a mother and her two daughters in a 2007 home invasion have asked a judge to vacate their death sentences and impose a sentence of life in prison without parole.
- Nebraska corrections leader criticized over execution drugs Updated: Nov-05-15 10:47 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska's corrections director faced blistering criticism Thursday for spending more than $54,000 on foreign-made lethal injection drugs the state hasn't received because the federal government says their import is illegal.
- Missouri execution canceled pending appeals court review Updated: Nov-04-15 6:10 pm
ST. LOUIS - Missouri suspended the execution Wednesday of a man convicted of killing three convenience store workers in 1994, saying courts didn't have time to quickly resolve questions raised in a last-minute ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Nebraska tried buying drug for executions from domestic firm Updated: Nov-02-15 5:39 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska prison officials unsuccessfully tried to buy a key lethal injection drug from a Mississippi-based pharmaceutical company after spending months trying to import tens of thousands of dollars in execution drugs from India, according to documents obtained by The Associated Press.