- In one Iowa town, democracy plays out in its own unique way Updated: Feb-01-16 11:41 pm
NEVADA, Iowa - In this Iowa town, at precisely 7 p.m., Ward 2 Democratic precinct chairwoman Kathy Johnson kicked things off on an upbeat note.
- Myanmar house begins new session dominated by Suu Kyi party Updated: Feb-01-16 9:24 am
NAYPYITAW, Myanmar - For a generation and more, they were the persistent, often persecuted opposition. On Monday, Aung San Suu Kyi's pro-democracy party took a momentous step toward becoming Myanmar's government.
- Communism better than democracy, says Vietnam party boss Updated: Jan-28-16 5:35 am
HANOI, Vietnam - One-party rule in communist Vietnam is a far better alternative to authoritarianism disguised as democracy, the 71-year-old ideologue who was re-elected as party chief and consequently the country's leader said Thursday.
- Poles fearing attack on democracy by government join protest Updated: Jan-23-16 11:48 am
WARSAW, Poland - Thousands of Poles across the country marched Saturday in freezing temperatures to protest a slew of measures by the country's new right-wing government that they say are anti-democratic.
- Boycotting candidate says Jan. 24 runoff will set Haiti back Updated: Jan-17-16 2:59 pm
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - Haiti's opposition candidate for president is warning that if a runoff is held next weekend as scheduled it will be a big step back for the country's fragile democracy and lead to increased turmoil in the sharply divided nation.
- FM: Poland's democracy doing better than it seems outside Updated: Jan-11-16 9:18 am
WARSAW, Poland - The shape of Poland's democracy under the new right-wing government is better than some foreign commentators suggest, the foreign minister said Monday, inviting German politicians to visit and check.