- Iran awards medals of honor to nuclear team Updated: Feb-08-16 5:06 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran awarded medals of honor on Monday to its nuclear negotiators who helped clinch a landmark deal with world powers last year.
- Obama says Mideast countries must 'lift up their citizens' Updated: Feb-08-16 4:58 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - U.S. President Barack Obama says governments across the Middle East that make a "commitment to justice and human rights" will continue to have a friend in America.
- Controversial minister to become Australia's rights envoy Updated: Feb-08-16 2:18 am
CANBERRA, Australia - The former Australian immigration minister who began the widely condemned policy of sending asylum seekers to Pacific island detention camps will become Australia's first special envoy for human rights, the government said Monday.
- UN condemns NKorea launch, pledges significant new sanctions Updated: Feb-07-16 11:41 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - The U.N. Security Council condemned North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket that world leaders called a banned test of ballistic missile technology and another "intolerable provocation." The U.N.'s most powerful body pledged to quickly adopt a new resolution with "significant" new sanctions.
- The Latest: Japan mulls sanctions after NKorea launch Updated: Feb-07-16 11:28 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - The Latest on North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket (all times local):
- Tennis tournament hosts to get refurbished courts Updated: Feb-07-16 4:10 pm
KEAUHOU, Hawaii - The Old Kona Airport Park tennis courts will be refurbished in a partnership between Hawaii County and the United States Tennis Association.
- Slain Italian student in Egypt suffered 'inhuman' violence Updated: Feb-07-16 11:54 am
ROME - A second autopsy on the body of an Italian found slain in Egypt reveals that the doctoral student suffered "inhuman, animal-like" violence, Italy's interior minister said Sunday as he pressed Egypt's president to fully cooperate with the criminal investigation.
- Afghanistan hopes to meet with Taliban this month Updated: Feb-07-16 8:09 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - Afghanistan expects to hold direct talks with the Taliban by the end of this month, an official said Sunday.
- AP NewsBreak: Deal reached on provisional Haiti government Updated: Feb-06-16 9:35 pm
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - Top Haitian leaders negotiated an agreement to install a short-term provisional government less than 24 hours before President Michel Martelly was scheduled to step down, an official with the Organization of American States and local authorities announced Saturday.
- Haiti leader departs as he came: amid uncertainty, disorder Updated: Feb-06-16 7:18 pm
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - Michel Martelly came to office promising a stronger Haiti following a messy election that provoked widespread skepticism. He is due to leave power Sunday at the close of his five-year term with few accomplishments and a legacy clouded by a new political crisis.
- Registration deadline nears for Massachusetts primary Updated: Feb-06-16 2:00 pm
BOSTON - Election officials in Massachusetts are reminding residents of an upcoming voter registration deadline.
- Editorials from around New England Updated: Feb-06-16 1:17 pm
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New England newspapers:
- Firebrand monks a powerful force in Myanmar despite setback Updated: Feb-06-16 12:54 pm
WASHINGTON - Dark-skinned and bearded men jump a young woman after she prays at a Buddhist shrine. They push her to the ground and rape her. Then they cut off her ear and slit her throat.
- Italy demands answers as student's body flown in from Cairo Updated: Feb-06-16 12:42 pm
ROME - Italy demanded Saturday that Egyptian authorities swiftly determine who was responsible for the torture and slaying of an Italian doctoral student researching Egyptian labor movements and other social issues in Cairo.
- Washington bill seeks partial automatic voter registration Updated: Feb-06-16 11:41 am
OLYMPIA, Washington - Months after Washington state saw record low voter turnout, several lawmakers and Secretary of State Kim Wyman say they want to help increase engagement with automatic voter registration for some.
- Afghanistan meeting ends with call for talks with Taliban Updated: Feb-06-16 11:22 am
ISLAMABAD - Four-nation talks aimed at ending Afghanistan's 15-year war concluded Saturday with a call for direct negotiations between the government and the Taliban by the end of February, but recent battlefield advances by the insurgents could make it hard to coax them to the table.
- EU foreign affairs chief announces visit to Iran Updated: Feb-06-16 9:58 am
AMSTERDAM - European Union foreign affairs chief Federica Mogherini says she is preparing to visit Iran following the implementation of a landmark nuclear deal between Tehran with world powers.
- In Obama's final year, Senate is slow to act on his nominees Updated: Feb-05-16 5:28 pm
WASHINGTON - If you wear combat fatigues to work, then your nomination is almost sure to sail through the Senate. If not, you're likely in for a long wait.
- Thousands more Syrians rush toward Turkey to flee fighting Updated: Feb-05-16 5:09 pm
BEIRUT - Thousands of Syrians rushed toward the Turkish border Friday, fleeing a fierce government offensive and intense Russian airstrikes near Syria's largest city of Aleppo.
- Correction: Election Bills story Updated: Feb-05-16 5:01 pm
PHOENIX - In a story Feb. 4 about election bills, The Associated Press erroneously reported the party affiliation of state Sen. Martin Quezada. He is a Democrat, not a Republican
- Obama, Xi discuss NKorea amid signs of rocket launch preps Updated: Feb-05-16 4:45 pm
WASHINGTON - The presidents of the U.S. and China agreed Friday that a planned rocket launch by North Korea would violate U.N. sanctions, the White House said, amid signs the isolated nation was moving closer to blastoff.
- Canada eases certain sanctions against Iran Updated: Feb-05-16 4:27 pm
TORONTO - Canada has dropped many of the sanctions it imposed on Iran over that country's nuclear ambitions.
- Russia says it will offer new ideas to restart Syria talks Updated: Feb-05-16 4:24 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Facing Western criticism over the halt to Syria peace talks, Russia said Friday it plans to present new ideas on how to restart peace efforts at a meeting of nearly 20 key nations on Feb. 11.
- The Latest: Kerry says Russia, Assad not complying with UN Updated: Feb-05-16 4:22 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest on Syria (all times Syria local):
- AP FACT CHECK: Clinton, Sanders missteps Updated: Feb-05-16 3:08 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest Democratic debate found Hillary Clinton in a defensive crouch about her Wall Street ties and making iffy claims about that longtime relationship. Rival Bernie Sanders offered a fumbling account of a campaign ad that boasted of endorsements that were bogus.