- UN says it could help 3 million in Yemen if a pause holds Updated: Jul-28-15 8:47 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The latest attempt at a humanitarian pause in Yemen "has not been respected by any party to the conflict," the U.N. humanitarian chief said Tuesday, adding that a plan to reach 3 million Yemenis with aid is ready to go if only the fighting would stop.
- Ukraine's richest man warns of aid blockade in the east Updated: Jul-27-15 4:19 am
KIEV, Ukraine - The biggest supplier of aid to rebel-controlled eastern Ukraine says its mission could fold in two days' time if rebels continue to block its convoys.
- UN warns lack of aid may drive Iraqis to extremist group Updated: Jul-22-15 5:11 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. envoy for Iraq warned Wednesday that a lack of funds for desperately needed humanitarian aid has already cut food rations and may be forcing Iraqi communities and families to look to the Islamic State extremist group for life-saving assistance.
- Editorials from around Ohio Updated: Jul-06-15 10:01 am
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from Ohio newspapers:
- Cash-strapped UN food agency reduces help to Syrian refugees Updated: Jul-02-15 10:55 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - The United Nations' food agency is cutting back on assistance to thousands of Syrian refugees after an appeal for a ceasefire to enable Syrians feed themselves went unheeded, World Food Program Executive Director Ertharin Cousin said on Friday.
- UN declares highest-level humanitarian emergency in Yemen Updated: Jul-01-15 1:09 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations on Wednesday declared its highest-level humanitarian emergency in conflict-torn Yemen, where over 80 percent of the population need assistance. U.N. officials have said the Arab world's most impoverished country is now a step away from famine.
- Food aid to Syrian refugees cut in half amid funding crisis Updated: Jul-01-15 7:45 am
AMMAN, Jordan - The World Food Program says it had to cut in half food aid for Syrian refugees in Lebanon because of a funding crisis and may soon have to halt all food support for most refugees in Jordan.
- UN extends Darfur peacekeeping force despite Sudan protest Updated: Jun-29-15 11:00 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The Security Council on Monday unanimously approved a one-year extension of the joint U.N.-African Union peacekeeping force in Sudan's western Darfur region where conflict is intensifying, rejecting the Sudanese government's demand that the troops leave.