- Cash-strapped UN food agency reduces help to Syrian refugees Updated: Jul-02-15 10:55 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - The United Nations' food agency is cutting back on assistance to thousands of Syrian refugees after an appeal for a ceasefire to enable Syrians feed themselves went unheeded, World Food Program Executive Director Ertharin Cousin said on Friday.
- UN declares highest-level humanitarian emergency in Yemen Updated: Jul-01-15 1:09 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations on Wednesday declared its highest-level humanitarian emergency in conflict-torn Yemen, where over 80 percent of the population need assistance. U.N. officials have said the Arab world's most impoverished country is now a step away from famine.
- Food aid to Syrian refugees cut in half amid funding crisis Updated: Jul-01-15 7:45 am
AMMAN, Jordan - The World Food Program says it had to cut in half food aid for Syrian refugees in Lebanon because of a funding crisis and may soon have to halt all food support for most refugees in Jordan.
- UN extends Darfur peacekeeping force despite Sudan protest Updated: Jun-29-15 11:00 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The Security Council on Monday unanimously approved a one-year extension of the joint U.N.-African Union peacekeeping force in Sudan's western Darfur region where conflict is intensifying, rejecting the Sudanese government's demand that the troops leave.
- UN urges peace talks and urgent aid delivery to Yemen Updated: Jun-25-15 1:11 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council urged all parties in conflict-wracked Yemen on Thursday to attend future peace talks and facilitate the immediate delivery of humanitarian aid to the impoverished nation where the risk of famine is growing.