- VW executive apologizes but says scandal not his fault Updated: Oct-08-15 4:27 pm
WASHINGTON - Volkswagen's top U.S. executive offered deep apologies yet sought to distance himself Thursday from the emissions scandal enveloping the world's largest automaker, asserting top corporate officials had no knowledge of the cheating software installed in 11 million diesel cars.
- Nebraska Innovation Campus to open, but challenges remain Updated: Oct-08-15 4:26 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The University of Nebraska's new research park will open to the public Friday with promises that it will foster new partnerships between businesses and university researchers.
- NATO leaves door open for troops to remain in Afghanistan Updated: Oct-08-15 4:17 pm
BRUSSELS - Urged on by the United States, NATO is open to keeping more troops in Afghanistan than initially planned after 2016, but officials said Thursday the alliance is waiting for the Obama administration to announce its decision on a larger military presence there.
- EPA pushes for 'smart thermostats' as way to limit pollution Updated: Oct-08-15 4:06 pm
CHICAGO - The head of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency made an impassioned push Thursday for homeowners to adopt Wi-Fi-enabled "smart thermostats" as a way to limit carbon pollution and improve public health.
- The state Senate races to watch on Election Day Updated: Oct-08-15 3:53 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Partisan control for Virginia's state Senate is up for grabs this November.
- Sexual assaults in study-abroad programs draw new attention Updated: Oct-08-15 3:34 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - As colleges wrestle with how to address sexual assault, a legal challenge involving a small Vermont institution brings an obscure part of the equation to the fore: how to report, investigate and punish sexual assaults that happen in overseas-study programs.
- Minnesota partisan divide to remain in new Senate office Updated: Oct-08-15 3:32 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota's now-scattered 67 state senators are planning their move into offices under one roof for the first time anyone can recall.
- The Latest: Lawmakers press EPA on its response to VW case Updated: Oct-08-15 3:20 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest on the congressional hearing on Volkswagen's emissions-rigging (all times local):
- The Republicans' Mr. Congeniality drops out of speaker race Updated: Oct-08-15 3:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Mainstream lawmakers saw Kevin McCarthy as an honest broker in ragged times. Those farther on the right worried that, as House speaker, he might obstruct their obstructionism.
- Fan: Super Bowl ticket process violates consumer law Updated: Oct-08-15 3:11 pm
PHILADELPHIA - A New Jersey man asked a federal appeals court Thursday to revive his consumer protection lawsuit that aims to flag the NFL over the number of tickets sold to the public for the 2014 Super Bowl.
- NY minimum wage push spurs US debate, faces hurdles at home Updated: Oct-08-15 3:09 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York's plan to give fast-food workers a $15 minimum wage is spurring similar efforts in states around the country - even as Gov. Andrew Cuomo's push to enact an across-the-board $15 wage faces vocal opposition at home.
- Blatter suspended as FIFA president; Platini also banned Updated: Oct-08-15 2:57 pm
ZURICH - Sepp Blatter is out of a job at FIFA. Michel Platini might never even get there.
- Low-cost health insurer in Colorado faces uncertain future Updated: Oct-08-15 2:56 pm
DENVER - Colorado's biggest nonprofit health insurer faces an uncertain future, and its 80,000 or so customers don't know whether their insurer will be able to offer new polices when next year's enrollment period begins soon.
- McCarthy abruptly withdraws candidacy for House speaker Updated: Oct-08-15 2:49 pm
WASHINGTON - With no warning, Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy withdrew Thursday from the contest for speaker of the U.S. House, shocking fellow Republicans just before voting was to begin and plunging Congress into chaos.
- Florida Senate likely to remove battle flag from seal Updated: Oct-08-15 2:38 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Responding to the outcry against Confederate symbols, the Florida Senate is moving ahead with plans to remove the Confederate battle flag from the chamber's official seal.
- Snyder supports switching Flint water system back to Detroit Updated: Oct-08-15 2:36 pm
FLINT, Michigan - Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder on Thursday called for Flint to switch back to Detroit's water system to address a public health emergency and grapple with broader concerns about the effects of the aging pipes distributing the city's water supply.
- Hearing pushed back in secretary of state's fraud case Updated: Oct-08-15 2:33 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - A state judge decided Thursday that a legal team should get more time to prepare a defense to fraud and other charges against embattled Secretary of State Dianna Duran given the complexity of the case.
- No meetings between Wolf, GOP day after tax proposal defeat Updated: Oct-08-15 2:29 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Republican leaders and Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf aren't rushing to restart meetings, one day after the governor's tax plan was soundly defeated in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives.
- The Latest: Boehner to stay until House votes to replace him Updated: Oct-08-15 2:10 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest on the chaos among House Republicans after Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy withdrew his candidacy for speaker (all times local):
- Super PAC backing Democrats spends $1M in 3 Assembly races Updated: Oct-08-15 2:02 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A super political action committee focused on electing Democratic lawmakers has spent more than $1 million in three contested New Jersey Assembly districts ahead of Election Day.
- Food aid in jeopardy for more North Carolina healthy adults Updated: Oct-08-15 1:45 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina legislature wants certain unemployed adults to meet work or training requirements again or miss out on food stamp benefits.
- Patrick wants Texas lawmakers to focus on religious liberty Updated: Oct-08-15 1:37 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick wants the Texas Legislature to better protect religious liberty by examining whether local anti-discrimination ordinances violate state and federal law.
- Paul Ryan reiterates he's not interested in being speaker Updated: Oct-08-15 1:20 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan does not want to be speaker of the House.
- Bill would add up to 12 charter schools in state each year Updated: Oct-08-15 1:19 pm
BOSTON - Legislation unveiled Thursday would let the state add up to a dozen new or expanded charter schools each year outside the existing cap on the schools in Massachusetts.
- Polish parliament's last session before election disturbed Updated: Oct-08-15 1:10 pm
WARSAW, Poland - As emotions are mounting in the campaign before Poland's general election, an agitated lawmaker on Thursday disrupted parliament's last session before the Oct. 25 vote.