- Idaho senators vote no, but can't stop budget deal Updated: Dec-18-13 12:51 pm
- Excerpts from recent South Dakota editorials Updated: Dec-18-13 12:39 pm
- NY Mayor Bloomberg endorses Frosh for Md. AG Updated: Dec-18-13 12:36 pm
- Senate GOP leader assails Dems on defense bill Updated: Dec-18-13 12:29 pm
- Ohio elections chief: 17 noncitizens voted in 2012 Updated: Dec-18-13 12:10 pm
- ND Stockmen's to seek increase in $1 beef checkoff Updated: Dec-18-13 12:01 pm
- Former Rep. Berkley takes job at Touro University Updated: Dec-18-13 11:52 am
- Group asks court to block Charleston gun laws Updated: Dec-18-13 11:50 am
- Brazilian senator urges asylum for Snowden Updated: Dec-18-13 11:44 am
- Russia passes amnesty bill, questions remain Updated: Dec-18-13 11:34 am
- Bill would redefine charter schools in Wisconsin Updated: Dec-18-13 11:26 am
- 4-term Rep. Benson to retire from Minn. House Updated: Dec-18-13 10:58 am
- India diplomat says she faced cavity search in NYC Updated: Dec-18-13 10:44 am
- Corbett backs gay rights bill on discrimination Updated: Dec-18-13 9:40 am
- Bill requires reporting of drug-addicted newborns Updated: Dec-18-13 9:05 am
- State to allow paper concealed carry applications Updated: Dec-18-13 7:22 am
- India's Parliament passes anti-corruption bill Updated: Dec-18-13 7:07 am
- Bill would limit access to mug shots in NJ Updated: Dec-18-13 6:52 am
- Concealed carry applications open for instructors Updated: Dec-18-13 6:50 am
- How budget deal should help support US economy Updated: Dec-18-13 6:15 am
- Legislative panel to make spending recommendations Updated: Dec-18-13 4:20 am
- Ex-Sen. Charles Walker moving from SC prison Updated: Dec-18-13 4:05 am
- Employer groups oppose pension fees in budget deal Updated: Dec-18-13 3:35 am
- GOP Ohio governor to wrap year, discuss 2014 goals Updated: Dec-18-13 3:05 am
- U.Va. hosting state legislative forum Updated: Dec-18-13 2:49 am
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho's Republican U.S. senators voted to block a budget deal as they joined a failed effort to keep the full Senate from considering the measure.
Madison Daily Leader, Madison, Dec. 16, 2013
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg is endorsing Maryland state Sen. Brian Frosh in his bid for attorney general.
WASHINGTON - Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell said Wednesday that his Democratic counterpart is barring any GOP changes to pending defense legislation because he "can't stomach a vote on Iran sanctions."
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Seventeen noncitizens voted illegally in battleground Ohio in the 2012 presidential election year, and an additional 274 were registered but did not vote, the state's elections chief said Wednesday.
BISMARCK, North Dakota - The North Dakota Stockmen's Association plans to ask the 2015 Legislature to double the $1-per-head checkoff that ranchers pay when they sell cattle.
LAS VEGAS - Former Nevada Congresswoman Shelley Berkley has been named chief of the Nevada and California campuses of Touro University.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - A gun rights group has gone to court in an attempt to stop enforcement of Charleston's gun ordinances.
SAO PAULO - The president of the Brazilian Senate's Foreign Relations and Defense Committee says the country should grant political asylum to National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden.
MOSCOW - Russia's parliament on Wednesday passed an amnesty bill that will likely apply to the 30-member crew of a Greenpeace ship detained after an Arctic protest, but it wasn't immediately clear if and when the activists would be allowed to leave the country.
EAU CLAIRE, Wisconsin - Republican lawmakers have introduced a bill to allow independent charter schools throughout Wisconsin and making it easier for the schools to get federal money.
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Four-term Rep. John Benson of Minnetonka says he'll retire rather than run again for the Minnesota House.
NEW DELHI - An Indian diplomat said U.S. authorities subjected her to a strip search, cavity search and DNA swabbing following her arrest on visa charges in New York City, despite her "incessant assertions of immunity."
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A leading gay rights group in Pennsylvania is commending Gov. Tom Corbett for saying he supports legislation to outlaw discrimination based on someone's sexual orientation or gender identity.
COLUMBUS, Ohio - An Ohio House bill would require hospitals to report the number of babies born addicted to drugs.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - State officials have changed their minds about the kind of applications they'll accept from people who want new concealed carry permits.
NEW DELHI - India's Parliament approved a landmark anti-graft bill on Wednesday that empowers an independent ombudsman to investigate and prosecute cases of corruption by politicians and civil servants.
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey might make it difficult for the public to have access to mug shots of criminal suspects.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Certified firearms instructors in Illinois can now apply for concealed carry licenses.
WASHINGTON - Congress is on the verge of doing something it hasn't done during three years of partisan warfare: Passing a budget deal that won't likely hurt the economy.
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - A Maryland legislative panel is scheduled to make state spending recommendations for the next fiscal year.
AUGUSTA, Georgia - Former Georgia state Sen. Charles Walker is being moved from a federal prison in South Carolina after spending the past eight years behind bars.
WASHINGTON - Employers that still offer workers traditional pension plans are in line for hefty insurance premium increases under the budget agreement struck in Congress, the second time in two years that lawmakers have turned to them to help finance spending deals.
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) is scheduled to join Ohio legislative leaders to look back on the year and to discuss priorities for 2014, when he faces re-election.
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia - The University of Virginia is hosting a public forum to discuss the upcoming General Assembly session.