- The Latest: House begins debate on Arizona budget Updated: May-03-16 12:33 pm
PHOENIX - The Latest on Arizona's budget (all times local):
- French parliament debates labor law after violent protests Updated: May-03-16 12:18 pm
PARIS - After a month of often violent protests, French lawmakers on Tuesday started to debate a hotly contested labor bill that would make it easier to lay off workers, weaken some union powers, and relax rules regulating the country's 35-hour workweek.
- The Latest: Lake County primary turnout may reach 55 percent Updated: May-03-16 12:16 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Latest on Tuesday's Indiana primary election (all times local):
- West Virginia GOP governor hopeful Cole to support Trump Updated: May-03-16 12:12 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Republican candidate for West Virginia governor Bill Cole is supporting Donald Trump for president.
- Republican Christine Jones announces bid for Congress Updated: May-03-16 12:11 pm
PHOENIX - Former GoDaddy executive vice president Christine Jones has announced she's running for the Republican nomination to succeed retiring U.S. Rep. Matt Salmon in a congressional district spanning Phoenix's eastern suburbs.
- Governor signs bill changing standardized testing measures Updated: May-03-16 12:06 pm
ATLANTA - Georgia public school students will now face less standardized testing thanks to a new law signed by Governor Nathan Deal.
- Oklahoma Supreme Court invalidates retail liquor proposal Updated: May-03-16 12:06 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Supreme Court on Tuesday invalidated an initiative petition that calls for a statewide vote on whether to allow wine to be sold in grocery stores.
- In debate, Wyoming newcomer questions Cheney's ties to state Updated: May-03-16 12:04 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - The first statewide debate in Wyoming's U.S. House race took a testy turn Monday, with a candidate who has lived in Wyoming only a few years criticizing Liz Cheney's frequent proclamations about how her family has deep, multi-generation ties to the state.
- Sri Lankan court: Right to information bill needs two-thirds Updated: May-03-16 11:58 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka's highest court has declared that parts of a right to information bill contravene the constitution and it will need a two-thirds majority in Parliament to become law, the speaker announced Tuesday.
- Montana's legislative auditor is retiring Updated: May-03-16 11:52 am
HELENA, Montana - Legislative Auditor Tori Hunthausen is retiring in June after nearly 29 years with the Legislative Audit Division.
- Teacher sick-outs close most Detroit schools for a 2nd day Updated: May-03-16 11:47 am
DETROIT - Nearly all of Detroit's public schools were closed for a second consecutive day Tuesday after hundreds of teachers called out sick over concerns that many may not get paid if the financially struggling district runs out of money.
- Ban on fetal tissue sales, donations nearing final passage Updated: May-03-16 11:40 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana's lawmakers are close to enacting a prohibition on collecting, selling, transporting or donating fetal tissue from an abortion.
- Prieto to post his Atlantic City bill for vote Thursday Updated: May-03-16 11:23 am
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - New Jersey Assembly Speaker Vincent Prieto will put his own rescue plan for Atlantic City up for a vote on Thursday.
- Justice Dept. to provide watchdog faster access to records Updated: May-03-16 11:07 am
WASHINGTON - The Justice Department said it intends to provide its inspector general with quicker access to documents that the watchdog office says it's been delayed in receiving.
- The Latest: Lawmaker promises Detroit teachers will get paid Updated: May-03-16 10:56 am
DETROIT - The Latest on the sick-out by teachers that's closed dozens of Detroit schools on Tuesday (all times local):
- Lawmakers injured in fisticuffs inside Sri Lanka parliament Updated: May-03-16 10:42 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Several lawmakers were injured in fisticuffs inside Sri Lanka's Parliament on Tuesday after a protest over the removal of military security for former President Mahinda Rajapakasa. One lawmaker was hospitalized.
- Recent Kansas Editorials Updated: May-03-16 10:20 am
The Manhattan Mercury, May 2
- Upstate NY Republican Sen. High Farley won't run again Updated: May-03-16 10:08 am
ALBANY, New York - State Sen. Hugh Farley, an upstate New York Republican first elected in 1976, says he won't run again.
- Turkey's Kurdish MP's closer to trial after parliament brawl Updated: May-03-16 10:07 am
ANKARA, Turkey - A Turkish parliamentary committee has approved a contentious ruling-party proposal to strip legislators of their immunity from prosecution despite punches being thrown and water bottles hurled during the debate.
- Oklahoma candidate's car stolen while campaigning at homes Updated: May-03-16 9:58 am
OKLAHOMA CITY - A state Legislature candidate says his car was stolen while he campaigned door-to-door in a residential area in Oklahoma City.
- New Mexico state senator undergoing cancer treatment Updated: May-03-16 9:10 am
HOBBS, New Mexico - A southeastern New Mexico state senator says he is undergoing cancer treatments in Houston and is expected to start recovery soon.
- Gang rape, murder of Indonesian girl sparks call for reform Updated: May-03-16 8:30 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - The rape and murder of a teenage girl by 14 men has reignited calls in Indonesia for a sexual violence law that is languishing in Parliament to be enacted.
- Vermont House backs away from pot legalization Updated: May-03-16 7:22 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The Vermont House is backing away from a push to legalize marijuana.
- Ex-challenger supports Ohio Democratic nominee for US Senate Updated: May-03-16 7:08 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Cincinnati city councilman who lost to former Gov. Ted Strickland in Ohio's Democratic primary for the U.S. Senate nomination is now endorsing his former rival.
- Delaware bill encourages transit-friendly communities Updated: May-03-16 6:37 am
DOVER, Delaware - The state House is set to vote on a bill aimed at encouraging local governments in Delaware to create more transit-friendly communities.