- Oklahoma lawmaker to refile earthquake preparedness measure Updated: Aug-03-15 2:22 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - An Oklahoma lawmaker says he plans to file legislation to require Oklahoma schools to have written plans and procedures for dealing with earthquakes.
- Inspectors general seek legislation on oversight powers Updated: Aug-03-15 2:12 pm
WASHINGTON - A group of inspectors general is appealing to Congress to pass legislation that affirms their ability to conduct independent oversight.
- The Latest: Texas AG accused of deceiving state lawmaker Updated: Aug-03-15 2:08 pm
McKINNEY, Texas - The latest on Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, who has been charged with felony securities fraud (all times local):
- Kosovo approves court to try wartime leaders for war crimes Updated: Aug-03-15 2:07 pm
PRISTINA, Kosovo - Kosovo's Parliament on Monday approved a constitutional amendment to set up a special court to prosecute former leaders over war crimes, including the killing of hundreds of Serb civilians.
- Fattah vows re-election bid despite racketeering indictment Updated: Aug-03-15 2:04 pm
PHILADELPHIA - U.S. Rep Chaka Fattah is vowing to run for re-election next year despite a federal racketeering indictment and says he expects to resume his leadership position on a powerful congressional committee by year's end.
- Haslam says guns-in-parks bill worth reviewing for clarity Updated: Aug-03-15 1:55 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Gov. Bill Haslam says he believes a recent state attorney general's opinion is at least one reason lawmakers should consider reviewing the law that allows handgun carry permit holders to bring firearms to parks, playgrounds and sports fields.
- Branstad touts STEM learning, defends education funding veto Updated: Aug-03-15 1:43 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Gov. Terry Branstad touted Iowa's progress with science, technology, engineering and math education Monday as he continued to defend his recent veto of some one-time education spending.
- House GOP says it has the votes to disapprove of Iran deal Updated: Aug-03-15 1:22 pm
WASHINGTON - House Republicans said Monday that they have the GOP votes to disapprove of the Iran nuclear deal as Democrats stepped up their support of the agreement the Obama administration and other world powers negotiated with Tehran.
- Marley to chair Idaho Democratic Party Updated: Aug-03-15 1:20 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Former Idaho lawmaker Bert Marley of McCammon has been elected chairman of the Idaho Democratic Party.
- Democrat Paula Hawks starts run against US Rep. Kristi Noem Updated: Aug-03-15 1:20 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - State Rep. Paula Hawks is attempting to upend South Dakota's all-Republican congressional delegation by challenging U.S. Rep. Kristi Noem in the 2016 election, the Democrat's campaign announced Monday.
- W.Va. Democrat says he'll vote to end Planned Parenthood aid Updated: Aug-03-15 1:19 pm
WASHINGTON - West Virginia Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin says he will back a Republican bill cutting off federal aid for Planned Parenthood.
- Ex-Senate hopeful says Kansas board has ended investigation Updated: Aug-03-15 1:10 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Former U.S. Senate candidate and Dr. Milton Wolf says Kansas' medical board has dropped an investigation of him after finding he committed no wrongdoing.
- Ala lawmakers seeking budget deal as special session resumes Updated: Aug-03-15 12:49 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - State lawmakers are returning to Montgomery in search of a budget deal.
- Man who died in WWII receives Bronze Star 71 years later Updated: Aug-03-15 11:56 am
ST. LOUIS - A St. Louis soldier killed in action during World War II finally got his Bronze Star medal, thanks to the perseverance of the daughter he never knew.
- Myanmar opposition leader Suu Kyi visits flood-hit area Updated: Aug-03-15 10:25 am
BAGO, Myanmar - Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi visited one of the country's many flood-afflicted areas Monday, raising her profile during a national disaster that has killed at least 46 people and could affect this November's general election.
- Indian Parliament speaker bars 25 lawmakers for 'disorder' Updated: Aug-03-15 8:59 am
NEW DELHI - The speaker of India's Parliament on Monday barred 25 opposition legislators from its sessions for the rest of the week for causing "grave disorder" after they created noisy scenes.
- 1 in 5 Michigan lawmakers lack college degree Updated: Aug-03-15 7:16 am
LANSING, Michigan - One out of every five Michigan lawmakers doesn't have a formal degree in higher education.
- New law targets unpaid traffic fines Updated: Aug-03-15 4:38 am
NEW CASTLE, Delaware - Gov. Jack Markell is set to sign legislation targeting the driving privileges of motorists with unpaid traffic fines.
- 5 things about Congress' fight over Planned Parenthood Updated: Aug-02-15 8:47 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans will likely lose Monday's Senate showdown over halting federal aid to Planned Parenthood. Yet the political offensive by abortion foes has just started, prompted by a batch of unsettling videos that has focused attention on the group's little-noticed practice of providing fetal tissue to researchers.
- New state law allows diabetics freedom to manage condition Updated: Aug-02-15 5:13 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A new state law allows diabetic students in Arkansas more freedom to manage their condition on their own at school.
- Canada PM triggers election with vote in October Updated: Aug-02-15 5:01 pm
TORONTO - Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper triggered an election campaign Sunday and set the vote for Oct. 19, when Harper and his Conservative party hope to earn a fourth term after almost a decade in power.
- Judge to decide if ex-California lawmaker's trial proceeds Updated: Aug-02-15 4:37 pm
LOS ANGELES - California Sen. Ron Calderon strolled into the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas two years ago primed for another weekend of fun. In a 10th floor room, overlooking the hotel's iconic dancing fountains, his plans folded.
- Efforts to repeal new tax could formally launch this week Updated: Aug-02-15 4:25 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Republicans angry that Nevada lawmakers approved a $1.1 billion tax package this spring, just months after voters overwhelmingly rejected a tax hike on the ballot, are launching efforts to repeal it and kick some of its backers out of office.
- WyoLotto officials paint new picture of lottery proceeds Updated: Aug-02-15 2:13 pm
CASPER, Wyoming - Proceeds from the new lottery will likely never meet the estimates projected by advocates in 2013 when the games of chance were legalized, lottery officials say.
- 2 Republicans, 2 Dems in primaries for Mississippi lt. gov Updated: Aug-02-15 1:23 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A teacher who wants to dismantle the Common Core academic standards is trying to defeat Mississippi Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves in the Republican primary.