- Oregon lawmaker's bill would regulate hobby drones Updated: Nov-26-15 5:32 pm
SALEM, Oregon - If you're planning to arm your hobby drone, your window is closing.
- Law allowing guns on campus sparks discussion among students Updated: Nov-26-15 12:22 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - University students in Kansas are starting to talk about a day in the not-too-distant future when anyone over 21 who legally owns a gun will be allowed to carry it onto campuses.
- Obama signs defense bill despite Guantanamo provisions Updated: Nov-25-15 4:34 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Wednesday signed a $607 billion defense policy bill despite his opposition to restrictions in the legislation that ban him from moving Guantanamo Bay detainees to the United States and making good on a long unfulfilled campaign promise.
- Clarification: Congress-Health Repeal story Updated: Nov-25-15 3:58 pm
WASHINGTON - In a story Nov. 24, The Associated Press listed Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., as one of several Republican senators who might find it difficult to vote for a bill eliminating federal money for Planned Parenthood.
- Prosecutors appeal order on Sandusky accuser's complaint Updated: Nov-25-15 11:05 am
STATE COLLEGE, Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania prosecutors are appealing a judge's order that they review a man's claims he was molested as a 16-year-old by former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky.
- Rubio finesses abortion stance criticized by Democrats Updated: Nov-25-15 3:17 am
WASHINGTON - When Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio staked out a hard-line position on abortion in the first GOP debate, Hillary Rodham Clinton took notice.
- Japan defense minister supports US in South China Sea Updated: Nov-24-15 9:46 pm
CAMP H.M. SMITH, Hawaii - Japanese Defense Minister Gen Nakatani on Tuesday expressed his support for the U.S. Navy's sailing of a warship close to one of China's artificial islands in the South China Sea.
- Recent editorials from Texas newspapers Updated: Nov-24-15 8:31 pm
The Dallas Morning News. Nov. 23, 2015.
- Budget work to continue after whirlwind of finger-pointing Updated: Nov-24-15 7:29 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A two-day whirlwind of accusations, counter-accusations and a threat to override Gov. Tom Wolf's veto of a short-term spending bill yielded no firm assurances Tuesday night that Pennsylvania's five-month budget stalemate would end soon.
- Pennsylvania Senate advances bill to authorize car services Updated: Nov-24-15 7:17 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The Pennsylvania Senate is advancing legislation to authorize ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft to operate statewide, even as regulators consider a record $50 million fine against Uber for operating without approval.
- The Latest: Budget work to continue after two-day whirlwind Updated: Nov-24-15 6:06 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The latest from Gov. Tom Wolf and top lawmakers on efforts to negotiate a deal to end Pennsylvania state government's five-month budget standoff (all times local):
- Medicaid expansion timeline under Edwards may be slowed Updated: Nov-24-15 1:53 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - While he pledged to expand Louisiana's Medicaid program on "day one" in office, Gov.-elect John Bel Edwards is finding out that might be trickier than he thought.
- Court: Wisconsin man can legally possess switchblade in home Updated: Nov-24-15 11:44 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - An Appleton man can legally possess a switchblade in his home, a state appeals court ruled Tuesday. The decision didn't address whether the state's switchblade ban is broadly unconstitutional, however.
- Republicans at General Assembly set aside $8M for litigation Updated: Nov-24-15 11:03 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Faced with new and protracted lawsuits and keeping reservations about the Democratic attorney general, North Carolina Republican legislators have set aside $8 million to keep defending laws they've passed.
- Senate narrowly rejects measure to kill school property tax Updated: Nov-23-15 9:38 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The Pennsylvania Senate narrowly rejected a measure Monday night to eliminate billions of dollars in school property taxes statewide by replacing the money with increases in state tax rates on sales and income, although the legislation could re-emerge with more support.
- Low fuel costs mean cuts for Mississippi Power customers Updated: Nov-23-15 6:47 pm
GULFPORT, Mississippi - Thanks to lower natural gas costs, Mississippi Power Co. is planning to cut customer bills early next year.
- Federal court rules Wisconsin abortion law unconstitutional Updated: Nov-23-15 6:41 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - A Wisconsin law that requires abortion providers to get admitting privileges at nearby hospitals is unconstitutional, a federal appeals court panel ruled Monday.
- Rep. James Clyburn donates congressional papers to USC Updated: Nov-23-15 4:26 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina native and No. 3 House Democrat James Clyburn announced Monday he's sending his congressional papers to the University of South Carolina to help bring attention to his state's contribution to the national struggle for civil rights.
- Excerpts from recent Wisconsin editorials Updated: Nov-23-15 1:59 pm
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Nov. 19
- Connecticut governor wants guns denied to terror watch list Updated: Nov-23-15 1:37 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy called on top congressional leaders to pass legislation that would prohibit the sale of firearms and explosives to anyone suspected by the federal government of being a terrorist.
- Editorials from around Oregon Updated: Nov-23-15 12:34 pm
Selected editorials from Oregon newspapers.
- Hezbollah condemns Senate bill to block its financing Updated: Nov-23-15 11:14 am
BEIRUT - Lebanon's militant Hezbollah group has condemned a bill approved by the Senate to block its financing, describing it as "a new crime by American institutions against our people and nation."
- Recent editorials published in Iowa newspapers Updated: Nov-23-15 9:01 am
The Des Moines Register. Nov. 20, 2015
- Kansas gets 'C' grade in domestic minor sex trafficking Updated: Nov-23-15 3:56 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Vancouver, Washington-based nonprofit has given Kansas a grade of "C'' for its legislation addressing domestic child sex trafficking.
- Wisconsin Legislature focuses on reporting school crime data Updated: Nov-22-15 2:55 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Momentum is growing in the Wisconsin Legislature to require that data about crimes committed on school grounds be more readily available for parents and others to view alongside test scores and graduation rates.