- Thailand's self-exiled ex-PM may never return home Updated: Dec-12-13 8:17 pm
- No vote on expansion of district for bad schools Updated: Dec-12-13 8:07 pm
- House OKs defense bill dealing with sexual assault Updated: Dec-12-13 7:17 pm
- Budget peace breaks out - after Boehner tough talk Updated: Dec-12-13 7:14 pm
- Wis. lawmaker: Police death bill faces tough fight Updated: Dec-12-13 6:29 pm
- Bills requiring EpiPens in schools goes to Snyder Updated: Dec-12-13 6:22 pm
- Family feud: Boehner takes on GOP critics on right Updated: Dec-12-13 5:49 pm
- House passes farm law extension Updated: Dec-12-13 4:33 pm
- Mexican Congress approves historic energy bill Updated: Dec-12-13 4:30 pm
- Nixon urges Mo. campaign contribution limits Updated: Dec-12-13 4:00 pm
- Supreme Court won't adopt medical malpractice rule Updated: Dec-12-13 3:44 pm
- Correction: Closing Courthouse-Mississippi story Updated: Dec-12-13 3:33 pm
- Immigrant tuition bill advances Updated: Dec-12-13 2:38 pm
- Belgian Senate OKs child euthanasia bill Updated: Dec-12-13 1:10 pm
- NJ eyes panel to study Meadowlands casino Updated: Dec-12-13 12:14 pm
- Correction: Ecuador-Besieged Journalists story Updated: Dec-12-13 12:01 pm
- Vatican gets mixed report card on finance reforms Updated: Dec-12-13 11:38 am
- Campaign bills win final OK from Mich. Legislature Updated: Dec-12-13 11:30 am
- Republicans say ALEC becoming more transparent Updated: Dec-12-13 10:48 am
- Law helps ensure equal access for school transfers Updated: Dec-12-13 10:34 am
- Colorado Springs mayor threatens vetoes Updated: Dec-12-13 9:43 am
- OH judges get more options for ordering treatment Updated: Dec-12-13 9:17 am
- Pa. House OKs bill to allow $25 bounty on coyotes Updated: Dec-12-13 8:59 am
- Croatian govt proposes new rights for gays Updated: Dec-12-13 8:40 am
- Bill to include Tenn. battlefields in park system Updated: Dec-12-13 4:06 am
BANGKOK - Since being ousted as Thailand's prime minister in a 2006 military coup, Thaksin Shinawatra has been a very busy man. The billionaire bought and sold England's Manchester City football club, acquired a titanium mine in Zimbabwe, started a lottery in Uganda and acquired a Nicaraguan passport. He met with Vladimir Putin and Nelson Mandela.
LANSING, Michigan - The Michigan Legislature has adjourned for the year without authorizing the expansion of a statewide turnaround district for failing public schools.
WASHINGTON - The House overwhelmingly approved a comprehensive defense policy bill Thursday that aims to stem the epidemic of sexual assaults in the military, cover the cost of combat pay for the nation's war-fighters, and fund new aircraft and ships.
WASHINGTON - Battle-fatigued and suddenly bipartisan, the House voted Thursday night to ease across-the-board federal spending cuts and head off future government shutdowns, acting after Speaker John Boehner unleashed a stinging attack on tea party-aligned conservative groups campaigning for the measure's defeat.
MADISON, Wisconsin - Families of people killed by police pressed a Wisconsin legislative committee Thursday to pass a bill that would revamp protocols for officer-involved death investigations, but the panel's chairman warned them the measure looks like a tough sell.
LANSING, Michigan - Bills requiring every public school in Michigan to have special injectors to treat allergic reactions are going to Gov. Rick Snyder's desk.
WASHINGTON - After years of bitter friction within Republican circles, House Speaker John Boehner is lashing out against hard-line conservative and tea party groups - the latest GOP establishment figure to join the increasingly public battle roiling the party.
WASHINGTON - The House has passed an extension of farm law until the end of January as lawmakers try to finish work on a new five-year farm bill.
MEXICO CITY - Mexico's Congress voted Thursday to open the country's moribund state-run oil industry to foreign and domestic investors, casting aside nationalist opposition to approve the most dramatic energy reform in seven decades.
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Gov. Jay Nixon is joining several Kansas City-area lawmakers in calling for ethics legislation that includes limits on campaign donations.
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The Supreme Court refused Thursday to adopt a state rule reflected in a law that creates restrictions on doctors who can testify during medical malpractice trials, agreeing it would have a chilling effect on the ability to find expert witnesses.
JACKSON, Mississippi - In a Dec. 11 story on the closing of the federal courtroom in Meridian, The Associated Press erroneously reported the closing was in a bill passed by the U.S. Senate and sent to President Barack Obama. The bill only addressed the judicial division boundaries in the Southern District of Mississippi and does not address the courtroom closure. The decision to close the Meridian courtroom was made by the Judicial Conference, a body independent of Congress.
TRENTON, New Jersey - A bill that would help students in the U.S. illegally pay for their college educations has advanced.
BRUSSELS - Belgium's Senate has strongly supported legislation that would extend the country's euthanasia law to children under certain conditions.
TRENTON, New Jersey - Some New Jersey lawmakers are busy preparing for the day they expect casino gambling to expand to the Meadowlands.
QUITO, Ecuador - In a Dec. 7 report about press freedom in Ecuador, The Associated Press reported erroneously that it left phone messages for government Communications Director Fernando Alvarado. In fact, the AP called Alvarado's cellphone several times, but the phone does not accept voice messages. The AP also sent Alvarado two emails, but received no response.
VATICAN CITY - European inspectors gave the Vatican a mixed report card Thursday in its efforts to comply with international norms to fight money laundering and terror financing: They praised the speedy overhaul of its legal code, but said the jury's still out on how well those new laws are being implemented.
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan lawmakers have finished approving bills to double the maximum contributions to political candidates and block a plan to require disclosure of donors to certain kinds of election ads.
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Republicans say a pro-business group known for secretly drafting model legislation for conservative lawmakers throughout the country is trying to become more transparent.
KOKOMO, Indiana - Eastern Howard County School Corp. Superintendent Tracy Caddell is tired of the phrase "cherry picking."
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - Colorado Springs Mayor Steve Bach is on a collision course with the city council over the city's budget for next year.
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Probate court judges would be given the authority to order outpatient treatment for people struggling with mental illness under a bill approved by the Ohio House.
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A bill that would authorize the Pennsylvania Game Commission to set a bounty on coyotes is advancing in the Legislature after winning the approval of the state House of Representatives.
ZAGREB, Croatia - Less than two weeks after Croatians voted to ban gay marriage, their government has proposed granting same-sex couples new legal rights.
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander has introduced legislation to include four Tennessee Civil War battlefields in the national park system.