- Detroit teachers ending 2-day sick-out, fighting legislation Updated: May-04-16 3:45 am
DETROIT - Detroit schools are expected to reopen Wednesday after teachers who had called out sick for two days received assurances from the financially struggling district that they would continue to be paid.
- Gov. Maggie Hassan vetoes first bill of 2016 Updated: May-04-16 3:32 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan has nixed a bill that sought to limit the power of local building inspectors in the state for her first veto of 2016.
- Obama visiting Flint for first time since water crisis began Updated: May-04-16 3:28 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is set to meet with residents of Flint, Michigan, to hear how they're managing after lead from old pipes tainted their drinking water.
- Georgia governor defies party politics with pair of vetoes Updated: May-04-16 3:20 am
ATLANTA - Georgia's Republican governor rejected the two top priorities of a legislature controlled by his own party this year, defying election year politics in a deep red state.
- Ohio House panel OKs bill striking labor hiring mandate Updated: May-04-16 12:39 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio cities, townships, school districts and public universities could no longer require the use of local unionized labor on construction projects under a bill set for an Ohio House vote.
- Democratic budget deal reached, vote Wednesday Updated: May-04-16 12:35 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Democratic legislative leaders and Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy reached a tentative eleventh-hour budget deal late Tuesday to cover a projected $960 million deficit in the new fiscal year and potentially help address future projected deficits.
- Hawaii legislature passing dozens of bills in final week Updated: May-03-16 11:46 pm
HONOLULU - After years of dealing with sweltering classrooms where classroom teachers spritzed their students with water to keep them cool, the Hawaii Legislature has approved $100 million to cool 1,000 classrooms throughout the state.
- The Latest: Democratic budget deal reached, vote Wednesday Updated: May-03-16 11:41 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The Latest on a Connecticut budget agreement between Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy and Democratic legislators (all times local):
- Oil spill bill, Medicaid fix stumbles at session's end Updated: May-03-16 11:30 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Legislation dictating how to spend Alabama's oil spill settlement money - and provide a funding fix for Medicaid - is dead for the legislative session after senators could not agree Tuesday on how to use the $1 billion windfall.
- Michigan Senate proposes plan to cut recidivism, save money Updated: May-03-16 11:10 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Supporters of newly introduced criminal justice bills in the Michigan Senate say they are designed to keep prisoners from reoffending, ultimately saving taxpayers money on incarceration costs.
- The Latest: Hawaii OKs bills on mental health, prison, guns Updated: May-03-16 11:06 pm
HONOLULU - The Latest on the Hawaii Legislature passing dozens of bills ahead of a legislative deadline (all times local):
- Bill aimed at reducing claims commissioner's backlog passes Updated: May-03-16 10:36 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut lawmakers have approved legislation aimed at reducing a backlog in the agency that handles legal claims against the state.
- The Latest: Democrats' effort to adds KidsCare fails Updated: May-03-16 10:26 pm
PHOENIX - The Latest on Arizona's budget (all times local):
- Bill to limit opioid prescriptions heads to governor's desk Updated: May-03-16 10:18 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A bill that would attempt to address Connecticut's opioid abuse problem by limiting most first-time opioid prescriptions for adults to seven days is moving to Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's desk.
- Arizona House, Senate advancing budget after K-12 agreement Updated: May-03-16 9:08 pm
PHOENIX - The Arizona Legislature on Tuesday was on track to finally enact a spending package for the state budget year beginning July 1 after a week spent wrangling over additional funding for K-12 schools that wasn't included in the initial budget agreement.
- 2 US senators want states included in wolf management Updated: May-03-16 8:44 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Two U.S. senators from the West want state wildlife authorities and ranchers to have more say in how the federal government manages endangered Mexican gray wolves.
- House kills pot legalization, referendum, decriminalization Updated: May-03-16 8:34 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The Vermont House on Tuesday gave those hoping to make the state the first to legalize marijuana by legislation rather than referendum a major buzzkill.
- Missouri House advances 'personhood' legislation Updated: May-03-16 8:32 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A Missouri measure backers say will protect the unborn and opponents say would ban abortion in the state received initial approval Tuesday in the House.
- Deal signs legislation adding 2 Supreme Court members Updated: May-03-16 8:12 pm
ATLANTA - Georgia's Supreme Court will expand by two members, both appointed by Gov. Nathan Deal.
- 72-hour wait time for abortions in La. nears final passage Updated: May-03-16 7:30 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A proposal to triple the wait time for an abortion in Louisiana is nearing final legislative passage, winning support from an overwhelming number of state lawmakers in both the House and Senate.
- Agriculture department advertising bill wins final passage Updated: May-03-16 6:57 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The state agriculture department will be able to sell ads for its state-owned property, after the Senate gave final legislative passage to the proposal.
- The Latest: Deal also vetoes bill allowing weapons in church Updated: May-03-16 6:51 pm
ATLANTA - The Latest on legislation to allow anyone with a permit to carry concealed handguns on Georgia campuses (all times local):
- The Latest: Detroit teachers say they will return to work Updated: May-03-16 6:34 pm
DETROIT - The Latest on the sick-out by teachers that's closed dozens of Detroit schools on Tuesday (all times local):
- Justice Dept. to provide watchdog faster access to records Updated: May-03-16 6:18 pm
WASHINGTON - The Justice Department said it intends to provide its inspector general with quicker access to documents that the watchdog office says it's been delayed in receiving.
- The Latest: Longer abortion wait time nearing final passage Updated: May-03-16 5:40 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The Latest on legislative action on bills that would add new restrictions on abortion (all times local):