- St. Louis-area schools agree to help failing districts Updated: Jun-23-15 3:14 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A group of St. Louis-area schools are pledging to help two failing districts get back on track.
- Trade bill clears Senate hurdle, at brink of final passage Updated: Jun-23-15 3:14 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate pushed bipartisan trade legislation to the brink of final approval Tuesday in a combined effort by President Barack Obama and Republican congressional leaders to rescue a measure that appeared all but dead less than two weeks ago.
- The Latest: House backs Medicaid expansion; passage unlikely Updated: Jun-23-15 2:59 pm
2:30 p.m. (EST)
- Democrats' $35.3B budget proposal headed for a floor vote Updated: Jun-23-15 2:52 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A Democratic budget that includes tax hikes but also makes a nearly $3 billion public pension payment is now headed for a vote before the full Legislature.
- Latest on church shooting: SC House agrees to take up flag Updated: Jun-23-15 2:08 pm
- Senate measure slashes housing rehab funds, boosts Amtrak Updated: Jun-23-15 12:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Republicans proposed Tuesday to slash almost $1 billion from a program that helps state and local governments provide affordable housing, but they are balking at cuts to Amtrak.
- Bill to overhaul public records law fails to advance Updated: Jun-23-15 12:43 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Legislation aimed at expanding New Jersey's open public records and meetings legislation failed to get enough support at a state Senate hearing and has been held.
- Duke Energy plans to dig up, move coal ash from most pits Updated: Jun-23-15 12:26 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Duke Energy plans to excavate and move coal ash from a dozen more waste ponds in North Carolina, the company said Tuesday, as it works to excavate or safely close pits seeping millions of gallons of contaminated wastewater each day.
- Ohio legislation would eliminate tax on feminine products Updated: Jun-23-15 12:14 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A proposal by Ohio lawmakers would do away with taxes on feminine care products.
- Recent Kansas Editorials Updated: Jun-23-15 12:09 pm
Hutchinson News, June 18
- History of the Confederate flag on Statehouse grounds Updated: Jun-23-15 11:38 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The shooting deaths of nine people at a black church in Charleston, South Carolina, have reignited calls for the Confederate flag flying on the grounds of the Statehouse in Columbia to come down. Rallies are being held, and politicians have joined the chorus of voices calling for its removal - an opinion that has carried political risks in the state in the past.
- Florida Gov. signs budget, vetoes nearly $500 million Updated: Jun-23-15 10:55 am
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida Gov. Rick Scott signed a new budget into law Tuesday, but not before vetoing nearly $500 million stuffed into the spending plan by legislators.
- Republicans advance bills on collective bargaining Updated: Jun-23-15 10:37 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Republicans on a House panel are rallying behind a pair of bills that would require proposed contract agreements for public employees and an analysis of their cost to be posted online before they are approved.
- Nixon signs bill to ease tip tax requirements on restaurants Updated: Jun-23-15 6:50 am
FFERSON CITY, Missouri - A Missouri measure set to take effect this year will ensure restaurant owners are responsible only for collecting income taxes on cash tips workers report to them.
- Ayotte backs bill to eliminate information services agency Updated: Jun-23-15 4:34 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte is joining with three fellow Republicans to introduce legislation to eliminate what they view as an outdated and duplicative government agency.
- Jindal agrees to legislative review of consulting contracts Updated: Jun-23-15 4:10 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Lawmakers will have approval authority over consulting contracts signed across state agencies, in response to complaints about wasteful spending.
- Australia trying to verify death of citizen fighting in Iraq Updated: Jun-23-15 3:49 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Reports that an Australian, notorious for holding up the severed heads of Syrian victims, has been killed fighting in Iraq have raised the potential for his young family to be repatriated from the Middle East, Australia's foreign minister said on Tuesday.
- Australia attempts to verify terrorist's death in Iraq Updated: Jun-23-15 12:37 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Reports that an Australian terrorist, notorious for holding up the severed heads of Syrian victims, has been killed fighting in Iraq have raised the potential for his young family to be repatriated from the Middle East, Australia's foreign minister said on Tuesday.
- House Democrats propose tax hikes to offset tax credits Updated: Jun-22-15 11:25 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Democrats in the state House on Monday proposed raising a variety of taxes - on premium cigars, certain businesses and some individual taxpayers - and using the money to extend expiring tax credits that help people with low incomes.
- Bill helps medical marijuana users access organ transplants Updated: Jun-22-15 8:11 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California lawmakers have passed a bill that prevents medical marijuana users from being denied organ transplants just because they use pot.
- Nixon signs bill to keep intelligence agency in Missouri Updated: Jun-22-15 7:25 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Gov. Jay Nixon has signed a bill aimed at keeping a federal intelligence agency in the St. Louis area.
- Bush faults Obama for not preventing federal records breach Updated: Jun-22-15 7:12 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush blamed President Barack Obama on Monday for failing to heed warnings that could have prevented hackers from accessing personal information about millions of federal employees.
- Maine lawmakers overturn 13 LePage vetoes; sustain 9 Updated: Jun-22-15 6:47 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine lawmakers have overturned Republican Gov. Paul LePage's veto of a bill that seeks to expand access to medicine that counteracts allergic reactions.
- GOP lawmakers on path to passing budget Wolf doesn't support Updated: Jun-22-15 6:22 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The Republican-controlled Legislature appeared more firmly on course Monday to passing a state budget opposed by Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf, raising the likelihood of a veto and an extended stalemate.
- Malloy signs bill allowing freezes on kids' credit reports Updated: Jun-22-15 6:04 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Gov. Dannel P. Malloy has signed a bill that allows Connecticut parents and guardians to freeze their child's credit.