- Gov. Mary Fallin signs bill banning texting while driving Updated: May-05-15 6:14 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Gov. Mary Fallin added her signature Tuesday to legislation that makes it illegal to text message while driving in Oklahoma and then issued a challenge to the state's motorists.
- California lawmakers stall roadside test for drugged drivers Updated: May-05-15 3:32 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - An Assembly committee has rejected making California one of more than a dozen states that allow police to conduct roadside testing for marijuana and other drugs.
- Volusia County consider beach-driving restrictions Updated: May-03-15 12:43 pm
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - The Daytona Beach City Council is considering banning driving on some sections of the area's hard-packed beaches.
- State revokes license of driver who killed 3 children Updated: May-02-15 3:08 pm
EUGENE, Oregon - State officials have suspended the driver's license of a Springfield man two months after he drove his pickup into three young children, killing them.
- Republicans propose banning cellphones in construction zones Updated: Apr-30-15 1:25 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Republicans are moving a bill through the Wisconsin Legislature that would prohibit drivers from using cellphones in construction zones.
- Montana legislative session closes with successes and flops Updated: Apr-29-15 8:21 pm
HELENA, Montana - Montana lawmakers went home this week having passed landmark legislation including a Republican route to expand Medicaid, a water use agreement for the Flathead Indian Reservation and a new law to disclose "dark money" in political campaigns.
- Hawaii lawmakers push expanded access for driver's licenses Updated: Apr-29-15 8:17 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii lawmakers are trying to make it easier for people living in the state illegally, homeless individuals and vulnerable populations to get driver's licenses.
- Ban on texting and driving awaits Gov. Fallin's signature Updated: Apr-29-15 5:59 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma is in line to become the 46th in the nation to pass a ban on texting and driving after the state House passed a bill on Wednesday.
- Wisconsin lawmaker targeting drunken driving again Updated: Apr-26-15 1:05 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - A Wisconsin lawmaker is trying again to increase penalties for drunken driving in the only state in the nation where first-time offenders face tickets, not jail time.
- Cellphone driving ban to take effect July 1 Updated: Apr-24-15 4:05 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A law banning hand-held cellphone use while driving in New Hampshire goes into effect on July 1, and state officials are handing out flyers and putting messages on electronic billboards to remind people of the change.
- Alabama House votes down distracted driving bill Updated: Apr-23-15 9:47 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama lawmakers won't debate a bill that would prohibit drivers from reading or petting their dog while behind the wheel.
- State Supreme Court hears arguments on voter registration Updated: Apr-22-15 6:50 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - The New Hampshire Supreme Court heard arguments Wednesday about whether a 2012 law amending the language of voter registration forms discourages out-of-state college students and others living in the state temporarily from voting.
- Maine House nixes bill to ban drivers' use of cellphones Updated: Apr-21-15 12:38 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - The Democratic-led House has dealt a blow to a bill that would prohibit drivers from using hand-held cellphones.
- Maine panel rejects bill to criminalize driving while tired Updated: Apr-15-15 6:49 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - A Maine committee has rejected a bill that seeks to crack down on people who drive while they're tired.
- South Bend to consider ban on handling phones while driving Updated: Apr-14-15 7:55 am
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - City leaders in South Bend are considering whether or not to ban motorists from handling cellphones while driving.
- Wisconsin lawmakers to debate online driving courses Updated: Apr-14-15 5:04 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Students at private driving schools would be able to learn the rules of the road online rather than in the classroom under a bill moving through the Wisconsin Legislature.
- Law enforcement agencies target distracted drivers this week Updated: Apr-13-15 8:14 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Minnesota State Patrol and more than 300 law enforcement agencies across the state are making a concerted effort this week to crack down on distracted drivers.
- Stricter drunken boating laws take effect this spring Updated: Apr-12-15 11:35 am
LANSING, Michigan - People taking their boats out on Michigan waterways after a few drinks will be subject to stricter alcohol limits - and penalties if they're over those limits - with a package of new laws taking effect this spring.
- Lawmakers to study creating statewide bike route Updated: Apr-11-15 1:26 pm
CASPER, Wyoming - Long gone are the days when cyclists pedaled through Wyoming with only a bag of granola for nourishment, said Rep. Tim Stubson, R-Casper.
- Arkansas law enforcement to crack down on texting drivers Updated: Apr-10-15 3:17 am
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas State Police along with city and county law enforcement statewide have announced plans to crack down on those who text while driving.
- Kentucky police step up efforts to stop distracted drivers Updated: Apr-09-15 11:44 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Law enforcement agencies in Kentucky are cracking down on drivers who text while they're behind the wheel.
- Distracted driving bill dies in Olympia Updated: Apr-08-15 3:44 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - A measure that would've banned things like sending emails and searching the Web while driving won't advance in the Legislature.