- Kite surfer blown onto road, hit by car, seriously hurt Updated: Sep-04-15 11:26 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A kite surfer at a San Francisco beach was caught in a huge gust of wind and dragged across a parking lot on to a highway, where he was hit by a car and critically injured, police said.
- Tennis officials eye security after drone crashes at US Open Updated: Sep-04-15 10:11 pm
NEW YORK - A drone crash during a U.S. Open match has tennis officials thinking about whether they can do more to safeguard the sprawling National Tennis Center from such hazards, a spokesman said Friday.
- Austria says it and Germany will take refugees from Hungary Updated: Sep-04-15 9:32 pm
BICSKE, Hungary - After misery, delivery. Hundreds of migrants, exhausted after breaking away from police and marching for hours toward Western Europe, boarded buses provided by Hungary's government as Austria in the early-morning hours said it and Germany would let them in.
- Scientists exploring wreck of sunken U-boat off Rhode Island Updated: Sep-04-15 8:22 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Scientists are using submersibles to explore a German U-boat sunk 7 miles off the Rhode Island coast the day before Nazi Germany surrendered in World War II, and they're streaming the attempts online as they work to learn more about shipwrecks and how they affect the environment.
- Marine killed in helicopter accident was doing rope training Updated: Sep-04-15 7:19 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The U.S. Marine who died during a helicopter accident at Camp Lejeune was part of a Virginia-based anti-terror and security team training on how to use ropes to access difficult terrain, officials said Friday.
- Baton Rouge-New Orleans rail supported by governor hopefuls Updated: Sep-04-15 7:08 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Commitments to seek funding for commuter rail service linking Baton Rouge, New Orleans and points in between marked a Friday forum in which questioners from area business development groups sought answers on infrastructure and the state's annual fiscal mess.
- Alcohol, speed cited in crash that killed pro golfer's dad Updated: Sep-04-15 6:13 pm
AMARILLO, Texas - Investigators say alcohol and speed were factors in a traffic accident in the Texas Panhandle that killed the 71-year-old father of PGA Tour player Ryan Palmer.
- Train kills contractor working along tracks in NE Indiana Updated: Sep-04-15 5:16 pm
AUBURN, Indiana - Police in northeastern Indiana say a railway contractor has died after being struck by a train.
- Driver who texted, talked before deadly crash gets prison Updated: Sep-04-15 5:11 pm
SANTA ANA, California - A driver who was texting and talking on her cellphone before a deadly freeway crash in Orange County has been sentenced to six years in prison.
- Interstate 40 westbound closed near Oklahoma City Updated: Sep-04-15 5:08 pm
DEL CITY, Oklahoma - The Oklahoma Highway Patrol says Interstate 40 westbound in Del City on the eastern edge of Oklahoma City is closed because of bales of hay on a trailer are burning.
- Woman pleads not guilty in 2 Coeur d'Alene crashes Updated: Sep-04-15 4:53 pm
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - A northern Idaho woman accused of crashing her vehicle and stealing another vehicle that contained children who escaped before that vehicle also crashed has denied wrongdoing.
- 2 pilots killed in Santee plane crash identified Updated: Sep-04-15 4:50 pm
SAN DIEGO - San Diego County officials have identified a flight instructor and student pilot who died when their plane crashed in the driveway of a Santee home.
- Missouri trooper eulogized as focused, religious, ethical Updated: Sep-04-15 4:47 pm
DARDENNE PRAIRIE, Missouri - A 25-year-old Missouri State Highway Patrol trooper killed last week when his cruiser crashed while pursuing a motorcyclist was eulogized Friday as a gifted athlete and focused, budding law enforcer guided by fierce spirituality.
- Correction: Plane Crash story Updated: Sep-04-15 4:17 pm
LLANO, California - In a story Aug. 29 about a pilot who was killed in a plane crash, The Associated Press, relying on information from his sister, reported erroneously that Channing Morse was a volunteer with the Wounded Warrior Project. A spokesman for the organization said Morse was not a volunteer with the organization at the time of the crash.
- A photo, a turning point? All depends on Europe's leaders Updated: Sep-04-15 4:07 pm
PARIS - The 3-year-old boy could have been dressed for preschool. Instead he was lying face down in the surf.
- Toyota to invest $50M in car-tech research at Stanford, MIT Updated: Sep-04-15 3:40 pm
- Trucker cited for rear-ending Pittsburgh-area transit bus Updated: Sep-04-15 3:36 pm
WHITAKER, Pennsylvania - A dump truck driver has been cited after rear-ending a Pittsburgh-area transit bus has near Kennywood Park, injuring the bus driver and 11 passengers.
- Coast Guard auxiliary members hurt in rec field plane crash Updated: Sep-04-15 3:15 pm
CRESSKILL, New Jersey - Two Coast Guard Auxiliary members were identified Friday as the occupants of a small plane that crashed onto a recreation field hours before kids' sports practices were set to begin.
- Gang member sentenced to death in soccer tournament shooting Updated: Sep-04-15 1:01 pm
DOVER, Delaware - A Delaware street gang member was sentenced to death Friday for his role in a 2012 soccer tournament shooting that left three people dead, including a man who was supposed to testify in another murder case.
- FBI investigating fatal Ute reservation crash Updated: Sep-04-15 12:13 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Federal agents have secured a search warrant for an SUV that was involved in a fatal April crash on the Uintah-Ouray Indian Reservation in northeast Utah that killed one man and injured five others.
- Third evaluation says man competent for trial in fatal crash Updated: Sep-04-15 11:52 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A third psychological evaluation of a man accused of causing a crash that killed two pedestrians in downtown Columbus has found that he is competent to stand trial.
- Transbay Tube closed over Labor Day weekend Updated: Sep-04-15 11:38 am
SAN FRANCISCO - There will be no Bay Area Rapid Transit service between Oakland and San Francisco over the Labor Day weekend.
- NYC exhibit highlights transit response to 9/11, superstorm Updated: Sep-04-15 11:21 am
NEW YORK - An upcoming exhibit highlights the critical role of New York City transit workers during natural and man-made disasters, including 9/11 and Superstorm Sandy.
- Freeway crash in Eastern Oregon kills man, 3-year-old girl Updated: Sep-04-15 11:11 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - Police say a man and a 3-year-old Washington girl died in a head-on crash on Interstate 84 in Eastern Oregon.
- Man killed in Caldwell Parish ATV/pickup crash Updated: Sep-04-15 11:00 am
COLUMBIA, Louisiana - State police say a 31-year-old Columbia man died when the ATV he was driving was struck head-on by a pickup in Caldwell Parish.