- Northern California wildfire contained after jumping line Updated: Jul-29-15 10:52 am
FRESNO, California - A wildfire east of California's Napa Valley has now charred more than 11 square miles after it jumped a containment line in rugged, steeped terrain that was baking in triple digit temperatures.
- Zimbabweans linked to illegal lion hunt appear in court Updated: Jul-29-15 10:33 am
HARARE, Zimbabwe - Two Zimbabweans arrested for illegally hunting a protected lion named Cecil were in court on Wednesday as anger at the kill by an American dentist escalated.
- Beach wheelchairs make surf accessible in southeastern NC Updated: Jul-29-15 10:10 am
WILMINGTON, North Carolina - It's much easier now for people who have challenges walking to get to the surf in southeastern North Carolina.
- Park along Detroit River hosts new spot for watching birds Updated: Jul-29-15 10:09 am
DETROIT - Groups involved in creating a new place for watching birds along the Detroit River said Wednesday that they hope it will help reconnect people with the waterway and inspire a new generation of conservationists.
- Correction: Renewable Energy Targets story Updated: Jul-29-15 10:08 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - In a story July 25 about the debate over Ohio's alternative energy targets, The Associated Press misstated the title of Greg Lawson. He is a Statehouse liaison and policy analyst for the Buckeye Institute for Public Policy Solutions, not its lobbyist.
- Activists rappel off Oregon bridge to stop Shell icebreaker Updated: Jul-29-15 10:02 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - More than a dozen activists rappelled off the St. Johns Bridge in an effort to stop a Shell Oil Arctic icebreaker from leaving Portland.
- Lessons learned from traveling with baby on Puerto Rico trip Updated: Jul-29-15 10:01 am
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - We were in paradise, surrounded by lush trees and waterfalls in El Yunque rainforest.
- Correction: Lake Erie Algae story Updated: Jul-29-15 9:38 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - In a story July 28 about toxins in lakes, The Associated Press reported erroneously on the affiliation of Milt Miller. He is restoration manager for Grand Lake St. Marys, not Lake Erie.
- 5,000 gallons of wastewater overflow on Maui Updated: Jul-29-15 9:08 am
WAILUKU, Hawaii - About 5,000 gallons of wastewater overflowed along the North Honoapiilani Highway due to a pumping station error.
- Federal agencies to manage future atomic bomb historic park Updated: Jul-29-15 8:43 am
SANTA FE, New Mexico - Threes sites of the Manhattan Project are a step closer to becoming a national park managed jointly by two federal agencies.
- 6 days missing: Search area for missing teens boaters grows Updated: Jul-29-15 8:31 am
ABOVE THE ATLANTIC OCEAN - As the search for two missing teen boaters from Florida entered its sixth day, Coast Guard crews on Wednesday extended the search area northward off the South Carolina coast, urging vessels in the wide expanse of the Atlantic to report any potential clues they might spot.
- Lifeguards rescue beachgoers caught in rip currents Updated: Jul-29-15 7:17 am
HAMPTON BEACH, New Hampshire - Lifeguards at a beach in New Hampshire rescued several beachgoers who got caught in rip currents.
- Heat warning issued for Philadelphia, suburbs Updated: Jul-29-15 6:17 am
PHILADELPHIA - Hazy, hot and humid conditions are blanketing Philadelphia and its suburbs.
- Great Lakes Commission gets $3.4M for Little Rapids project Updated: Jul-29-15 6:13 am
SAULT STE. MARIE, Michigan - The Great Lakes Commission is getting more than $3.4 million for a regional partnership focusing on habitat restoration in Sault Ste. Marie.
- 34 deer killed in Texas for chronic wasting disease testing Updated: Jul-29-15 5:16 am
HONDO, Texas - State officials have euthanized 34 deer at a breeding ranch in Medina County where a buck tested positive for chronic wasting disease last month.
- Deer bow hunting dates set for Oak Mountain Updated: Jul-29-15 5:06 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Alabama wildlife officials have announced dates for deer hunting at Oak Mountain near Birmingham.
- Hiker rescued from Mill Creek Canyon Updated: Jul-29-15 5:04 am
SALT LAKE CITY - Search and rescue teams had to use a helicopter to find a hiker who became distressed in Mill Creek Canyon.
- Authorities: Man drowns in Lake Erie in northeast Ohio Updated: Jul-29-15 4:58 am
EUCLID, Ohio - Authorities say a struggling swimmer drowned after he went underwater and didn't resurface in Lake Erie in northeast Ohio.
- High water, waves erode Chrysler Beach in Marysville Updated: Jul-29-15 4:19 am
MARYSVILLE, Michigan - Great Lakes water levels are rebounding from a slump that started in the 1990s, and that's causing problems for Barry Kreiner.
- Atterbury provides prime spot for hunters, anglers Updated: Jul-29-15 4:10 am
FRANKLIN, Indiana - Rural and wooded, dotted with small lakes and a crossroads for rivers and streams, Johnson County is an inviting playground for sportsmen.
- Immigrants, poor fish for their dinner, unaware of mercury Updated: Jul-29-15 3:53 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - It's midday and the white bucket balanced on the rocky shore at Mountha Uppasay's feet holds five or six white bass, moving sluggishly in the water she scooped from the Des Moines River.
- Python over 18 feet long caught in Everglades National Park Updated: Jul-29-15 3:05 am
EVERGLADES NATIONAL PARK, Florida - National Park Service officials say they captured a Burmese python over 18 feet long along a popular wildlife-watching trail in Everglades National Park.
- Chiefs' Berry to practice 8 months after cancer diagnosis Updated: Jul-29-15 2:47 am
ST. JOSEPH, Missouri - Eight months after getting the stunning news that he had cancer, Chiefs Pro Bowl safety was expected back on the practice field Wednesday, a day after doctors gave him the all-clear.
- Environmentalists re-establishing Barnegat Bay oyster colony Updated: Jul-29-15 1:52 am
OCEAN GATE, New Jersey - A New Jersey environmental group is taking a major step toward re-establishing an oyster colony in Barnegat Bay.
- Girl, 8, drowns while camping at Lake Cle Elum; body found Updated: Jul-29-15 12:26 am
CLE ELUM, Washington - The Kittitas County sheriff's office says divers have recovered the body of an 8-year-old Yakima girl who drowned in Lake Cle Elum.